PDA

View Full Version : Rheumatism and painkillers

TikkiRo
8th Oct 2000, 23:59
I'm only starting out on the aviation licence road, but am disabled with a couple of rheumatic conditions, i.e. Fibromyalgia (chronic pain syndrome), and Lupus (autoimmune syndrome) amongst a few others. But I need to take painkillers for the FMS - currently too strong to allow me to pass a medical. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif However, I am trying to get down on to more acceptable ones e.g. Paracetamol. I'm curious about whether any other pilots (not necessarily commercial) have had to deal with or are still dealing with long-term/chronic conditions specifically requiring constant pain relief, and whether it affects later medicals. I've been told I should pass this first medical if I can keep off the stronger drugs (and that's a BIG if), but I sort of wonder, would they eventually get to feeling that even being on Paracetamol/aspirin based drugs constantly might not be healthy - after all too much paracetamol can shred your liver nicely. It's just so frustrating, as I'm fine taking my current drugs while learning, and have in fact been commended for my performance, yet because of their nature, cannot be allowed to consider going solo in order to get my licence. I understand the reasons perfectly, and like other posts regarding alcohol/drugs, I appreciate that I may not be the best judge of whether I am being adversely affected by them or not. Any input of experiences in this area would be really appreciated - nice to know how others deal with these problems.
Thanks. TR

Specaircrew
10th Oct 2000, 02:19
Well I'm a military pilot and I've been taking Diclofenac and similar drugs for years( bad back) without any problems, it's great for hangovers too!

Bird Strike
10th Oct 2000, 11:45
I do not know what you're on at the moment, but if you're on narcotic type of analgesic, I think obtaining a medical would be difficult.

I stand to be corrected, but I think Diclofenac (I believe this is prescription-only) is NSAID, and help with rheumatic conditions. I do not know whether UK CAA would allow this or not, but maybe it's worth discussing the matter with them?
Also Ibuprofen, also NSAID should not be a problem as this is available over the counter and is classed not disimilarly to Paracetamol in terms of its' 'strength' so to speak.

Also, Australia seem to have slightly different policy in terms of the use of analgesics. I know it's far away from where you are, but maybe you would like to look into it? See CASA's website on www.casa.gov.au. (http://www.casa.gov.au.) I know that they allow up to 15mg codein combined with say paracetamol.

Whirlybird*
10th Oct 2000, 16:55
TikkiRo,

I have a friend who has long term pain/disability problems. She went on some kind of course on dealing with pain. I don't know the details, but she was VERY enthusiastic about it, and afterwards looked better than I'd ever seen her. If you think it might help let me know and I'll get the details; could it mean you could manage with less drugs? I don't know.

Whirly

------------------
To fly is human, to hover, divine.

mach78
10th Oct 2000, 18:09
As mentioned earlier,ibuprofen may be worth trying.Its anti-inflammatory qualities are well known.
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

TikkiRo
11th Oct 2000, 01:08
Ah this is where I run into bigger problems - having talked to my GP already about my options. I can't tolerate NSAIDs unfortunately, and they don't help the best anyway for this condition as it's not inflammatory in nature. I've already been in touch with the CAA regarding the issue and they've kindly told me that apart from those I will only pass a medical on the lower strength analgesics such as paracetamol, which is why I'm trying to see if anyone else can cope long-term on such limited analgesia. Whirly - I've already undergone extensive pain-training from the psychological point of view, including self-hypnosis, but again haven't found it of value on a long-term basis. I have a very positive attitude and will overcome most of my limitations through this, but pain tends to break you down after a while. I'm doubly frustrated as having got so hooked on flying, I hate the fact that my health may yet prevent me from getting as far as a licence, yet am not stupid enough to attempt to pretend that I'm okay if I'm not. I can see the dangers in that attitude in that I could be almost more danger to others if I'm coping with uncontrolled severe pain in flight, as on the drugs to combat it. I suppose I can only try and see how I get on, but like I said, was just interested in seeing if anyone else had similar problems or not. Thanks for all the suggestions/advice - much appreciated. :)
TR