PDA

View Full Version : Computer logbooks

Fr. Dougal
16th May 2010, 14:54
I've been trying the demo versions of all the computer logbooks I can find but can't find one that will do everything I need. Ideally I'd like to be able to enter a flight number and the programme would know the departure/arrival airfields and sector pay. When I enter block times I'd like it to figure out night hours, if any. The capability to produce monthly/4 weekly reports would be useful too.
Any ideas?

STBYRUD
16th May 2010, 15:25
After having gone through the same thing just recently I can wholeheartedly recommend Pat Boone's MCC Pilot Logbook, does all of it ;)

www.mccpilotlog.net - MCC Pilot Logbook Software (http://www.mccpilotlog.net/)

Happy landings!

Edit: Wait a second, it should extract route and pay from the flight number? Now that I am not sure of...

FCS Explorer
17th May 2010, 02:20
i use excel to pull pay-relevant taxi-in & out times from a table. you could do the same with your flight numbers & sector-pay if you have them on a table.

capt. solipsist
17th May 2010, 07:40
Same here, I just created my own MS EXCEL template, but didn't bother with setting auto ORIGIN-DESTINATION entries, I just copy paste them from preceeding flights.

I got to have all the columns I need (and want), none of those that do not apply to me (i.e., unnecessary) and best thing is, it's FREE :)

When i get a whole page filled up (15 sectors), I print it out. I have them bound temporarily for whatever purpose might come up, then once I accumulate 50 pages of those, I permanently bookbind them, then have them certified.

Cheers!! :ok:

Bubble
17th May 2010, 08:23
eLog - Electronic Logbook for Pilots (http://elog.cppcentral.de/index.php?site=downloads) :ok:

I use eLog - Electronic Logbook for Pilots but I don't think that it has the feature for the sector pay.
Anyway, you could always suggest it to the guy who wrote the program as he is always open to new ideas/improvements and it will not be the first time that he introduces a new feature as a result of a good idea being pointed out to him.

Give it a try and you'll be happily surprised of this features packed program and if you don't like it... you loose nothing as it's FREE!! :D

Checkboard
17th May 2010, 11:04
When I started flying, computer storage was on tape. It then progressed to 5¼ inch DD disks, 3½ inch floppy disks, hard drives, 3½ floppy disks, double density, high density, memory cards, USB sticks, online secure storage, zip drive ...

A flying career lasts (if you're lucky) for 40 years. In that time computer technology will change a dozen times. If you want to look back on your career at any stage - stick to bound book, paper, pen & ink. ;)

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2010, 15:06
I wrote my own in Microsoft Excel.

But that is very firmly a backup to my paper logbook. (On the other hand it is great for various summaries, recency checks, and suchlike.)

G

Thridle Op Des
19th May 2010, 12:16
Bin the PC, buy a Mac and get LTP!

FlyingTinCans
19th May 2010, 12:38
Anyone know a good Binder for a computer printed logbook, preferably one that doesnt require to 'hole punch' your pages?

bfisk
19th May 2010, 15:57
I also have an Excel Spreadsheet that I tailored to my needs (since I trained both FAA and JAA and they have slightly different logging requirements/standards). However I also maintain paper logbooks.

The good things about Excel is that with a little knowing of the formulaes it's a quite potent tool for creating various summaries (by class, type, reg, jurisdiciton, timeframe etc etc), not to mention that the layout can easily be tailored to your exact needs.

But again -- I also maintain paper logbooks, and the two I have finished are in a safe deposit box in the bank :)

fly.net
7th Jul 2010, 21:52
I am using MCC Pilotlog too and it does auto-recognize flight numbers.

Once you have done the same flight before, or even another flight with a similar flight number that meets a specified format. So you don't need to upload any list, it just searches the database for the same or similar flights with the same carrier.

e.g. our morning flight from LAX to CLD is 6205, the same flight in the afternoon is 6209, then the software will recognize 6205 when you enter 6209 :ok:

It does also calculate sector pay according to the rules to be entered.

Not sure if these features are available from the free version, I have the professional edition running (with Google Earth)

Wireflyer
8th Jul 2010, 16:23
Hi Everybody!

The combination of both works perfect to me. I log my flights on the Iphone during fltops and sync them at home to my mac.

In the past I used excel as well - with the import function you don't have to type for years to get that done... :ok:

I paid around $90 for the big mac software (10% discount for airliners) and abour €30 for the Iphone APP. Sure it's money but worth it. No timelogging, retyping etc. at home anymore.

I do hope that they will implement an import function for my company duty roster as well. (They have already some major airlines - no AIMS duty roster so far).

fly.net
9th Jul 2010, 16:42
I hear nothing but good news about Log Ten Pro, but 've no Mac.

MCC PL runs on PC (and Mac with windows emulator I guess), they have iPhone and Android mobile too.

There is about 30 airline interfaces, including AIMS

Yellow Sun
9th Jul 2010, 16:49
RosterLog (http://www.rosterlog.com/) does most of the tasks you require. You might have to load your own timetable and define your own company limitations if it is not one of the supported ones.

YS

crj705
10th Jul 2010, 06:48
Another vote for the mac with log ten pro. This is my 3rd electronic logbook program and this one is the best hands down.

169west
7th Sep 2010, 07:31
try this...it's very good!

Safelog FAA and CAA/JAA Pilot Logbook Software and Online Pilot Logbook (http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/safelog/)

proxus
8th Sep 2010, 00:28
Just a quick question.

Has anyone compared MCC Pilot Log with Log Ten Pro?

I'm interested as I use MCC now and I am quite happy with it but I also like the Log ten Pro a lot although I haven't used it. Has anyone used both?

Biggles78
8th Sep 2010, 01:40
Anyone know a good Binder for a computer printed logbook, preferably one that doesnt require to 'hole punch' your pages?
I can't remember what the binder is called but it is a front & back cover with a glue in the spine. You place the spine with the pages into a heater unit. Glue melts and paper is "bound" to the spine when the heater is either turned off or binder cover is removed. Ask at a school or a stationery supplies store describing the above. If I can find out what they are called I will post back and hope you are still reading the thread. :)