View Full Version : cx medical

middlemarker
2nd Oct 2000, 07:42
G'day

dose any one know whats involved in the cathay madical ive hered its quite tuff

what do thay look for and what dont thay want

endo
4th Oct 2000, 16:11
The medical is quite standard. You have ECG, Blood tests, Sight, Hearing, BP, Height, Weight etc.

It really is nothing to worry about. - Take a look at a few of the crew getting off CX aircraft around the world. - We really are not that fit!

Regards

------------------
- in motion

[This message has been edited by endo (edited 04 October 2000).]

boeinglover
6th Oct 2000, 22:28
Hi all, does that means that CX's medical standards are not that strict? Especially on eyesight issue? Comments pls...

sr106
6th Oct 2000, 23:32
as cep no glasses are permitted

boeinglover
7th Oct 2000, 06:11
SR106,

you mean no glasses as in a candidate must be of perfect eyesight??? Wow if that's the case, yeh the medicals are stricter than SQ. For SQ as least pilots are allowed to wear glasses....
I have also seen BA & Qantas pilots wearing glasses..so what's so special with CX that they restrict their cadet with the eye issue.
Kind of inflexible here for all I can see.

redsnail
8th Oct 2000, 03:59
From what I can gather the medical is quite strict. Very picky on cholesterol levels, heart traces are looked at closely and so on. I believe it isn't Cathay, more like their CAA or whatever they are called.

New China Driver
27th Oct 2000, 21:05
The medical driven by tough company doctors worrying about insurance payouts for CX years down the track. Older interviewees most at risk of disappointment. Loads of older freight guys got canned because of this

Scooter
29th Oct 2000, 02:21
OK fellas - what is mentioned above is correct but had a rocky road getting into CX health-wise!

Did the medical,got back home and received a rejection letter - no explanation!
Being of sound body and mind(?) I enquired discreetly as to why I failed as I indicated if there were any problems medically I would like to know about it.
The reply was that I was a "diabetic"!!!!!
Needless to say I felt like my entire career was about to go through the floor!

My MD enquired as to how they came up with this marvellous result without not conducting a "glucose tolerance test" - the only true method of detecting and diagnosing the extent of diabetes.
My answer was that I gave a urine sample.
This MD went wild at the lack of diagnostic ability,sent me for a glucose tolerance test and when the result came back AOK personally rang the Cathay Medical dept,not before questioning this doctors credentials and questioning/lecturing this fellow Dr (from the same university it turned out!)and faxed him the result.

2 weeks later I received a letter of acceptance and the rest is history.
Be careful though,they are getting strict particularly in the weight,cholestrol,blood pressure departments.

1-stripper
29th Oct 2000, 13:27
Scooter: Lucky you! The CX medical department is staffed by really fu(ked-up individual.