View Full Version : Twin Otter returns to Production

Rollingthunder
15th May 2010, 15:42
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2009/02/viktwinott.jpg

Brent Jang

CALGARY — Globe and Mail Update
Published on Friday, May. 14, 2010 6:58PM EDT

Last updated on Friday, May. 14, 2010 7:00PM EDT

.On the shop floor of Viking Air Ltd.’s sprawling Calgary plant, Ken Copiak makes his way from one work station to another, inspecting the aluminum shells of Twin Otter planes as they begin to take shape.

The manager of the final assembly plant sometimes has to pinch himself when he sees the fabled bush plane back in production – 22 years after the last Twin Otter, serial number 844, came off the line in Ontario.

Viking workers are now putting the finishing touches on the first Twin Otter assembled in Alberta, the 845th built in Canada since 1965. Subject to certification from Transport Canada, the turboprop will be delivered next month to Switzerland’s Zimex Aviation Ltd., which has earmarked the new-generation plane for oil and gas exploration duties in Algeria.

The delivery to Zimex will kick off a new era for the iconic Canadian plane known worldwide for its ability to handle extreme climates, from jungles to deserts to ice caps. Privately owned Viking plans to capitalize on the demand that never died for a plane that some considered obsolete. It believes that while the Twin Otter may not have made sense for a giant aerospace company like Boeing Co., it can turn into a profitable niche for a smaller player like Viking.

Boeing shut down Twin Otter manufacturing in 1988, just two years after buying de Havilland from the Canadian government. Boeing wanted to stick with its forte of building larger aircraft.

But a funny thing happened on the Twin Otter’s way to the aviation museum. Over the years, the plane proved its resilience, with more than 600 of the 19-seat planes still operating around the world. Pilots who fly to remote areas love the way the landing gear can be fitted to suit the environment, whether its wheels for gravel or skis for snow or floats for water.

Bringing the plane back into production has been a test of endurance for Viking, which didn’t have many of the original manufacturing jigs – templates used to help produce certain parts and components at de Havilland’s Downsview plant in Toronto.

“The reason why we had to make a lot of jigs over was because Boeing figured no one was going to build the planes again and started chopping the jigs up,” said Mr. Copiak, 50, a former production supervisor at Winnipeg-based Bristol Aerospace, which was acquired by Magellan Aerospace Corp. in 1997.

Videos shot at the de Havilland plant and old microfilm unearthed clues for “engineering archeology” to rebuild the Twin Otter jigs.

This year, after overcoming a series of engineering delays, the Calgary plant is finally producing the Twin Otter, which carries a list price of roughly $4.5-million (U.S.). Viking has been able to temper the financial costs of the rising loonie by acquiring certain parts and components in U.S. dollars, including engines from Pratt & Whitney Canada Corp.’s plant in Lethbridge, Alta.

Viking’s plant near Calgary International Airport has even become a tourist attraction of sorts for aviation buffs, especially retired de Havilland employees who marvel at the Twin Otter’s comeback.

The aircraft would have remained dormant were it not for Westerkirk Capital Inc., which recognized the Twin Otter’s rich history and future prospects. In 2003, Toronto-based Westerkirk bought Viking, a long-time supplier of spare parts for de Havilland planes, and in 2006, began studying the merits of manufacturing Twin Otters again. Later that year Viking acquired the rights to do so.

The strategy is to use the same basic, robust design as in the original plane, but to integrate upgrades such as modern avionics in the cockpit. Other updates include improved wiring and lightweight composite material in the nose as well as the exit and baggage doors, said Robert Mauracher, Viking’s vice-president of business development.

Plans call for Viking to build seven turboprops this year, a dozen in 2011 and 18 in 2012, said chief executive officer David Curtis, who notes the aircraft maker has a backlog of nearly 50 firm orders. The goal is to sell 200 Twin Otters over the next decade.

“Our order book has been pretty stable, when you consider the economic environment that we’ve been in,” said Mr. Curtis, 49, a licensed pilot.

This year’s manufacturing revival is making waves in the aviation world. Zimex’s Twin Otter is scheduled to be on display in July during the Farnborough International Airshow, a huge industry gathering held every two years at a sprawling airfield 60 kilometres southwest of London.

Viking’s other customers include Air Seychelles, Trans Maldivian Airways, Libya’s Petro Air, the United Arab Emirates’ air force and the U.S. Army’s Golden Knights parachute team.

National flags from around the world adorn the walls of the Calgary plant. The latest one to go up is from Vietnam, where Viking has signed a contract to deliver six Twin Otters to that country’s navy from 2012 to 2014.

Breathing new life into the Twin Otter is paying off, said Westerkirk CEO James Lawson. More than 350 Viking staff are now based in Victoria, producing components, while nearly 100 employees are at the final assembly plant in Calgary.

“I’m so excited about the demand for this plane for so many uses worldwide,” Mr. Lawson said.

YAY!

con-pilot
15th May 2010, 18:13
Good to see them finally back into production. :ok:

Never flew one or ridden in one. But for some reason I've always been intrigued by the Twin Otter. Shoot, I might even come out of retirement to fly one.

Oops, I take that back about ridding in one. I did many, many years ago in Canada, it was a float equipped Twin Otter. It brought me back from a fishing camp. We went up on an old standard piston powered Otter.

NG_Kaptain
15th May 2010, 20:56
Now if they only put a tail wheel in the back and a radial up front:):):)

Planemike
16th May 2010, 08:56
Errrrrrrrrrrrrr............ it wouldn't be Twin Otter then.

Not flown in one would certainly love to.

Planemike...........

NG_Kaptain
16th May 2010, 11:50
Errrrrrrrrrrrrr............ it wouldn't be Twin Otter then.

It would be a DHC-3 Otter. :)

Herod
16th May 2010, 18:58
Wasn't there a post a year or two back, about this being a possible? Back then I made the comment that the only aircraft that could replace an old Twotter was a new Twotter. Good to see it's a reality. 500 hours on them, more years ago than I like to admit. (Oh, all right; 1977/78).

ab33t
19th May 2010, 12:32
This is one fantastic comeback story ... go TwOtter

PaperTiger
19th May 2010, 23:50
Wasn't there a post a year or two back,There was, when sufficient orders had been received to make it viable. It has taken them two years (more ?) to gear up for production, although the PoC prototype has been flying for a year or so.

The newspaper article seems a bit out of date in many ways, the first all-new Twotter actually flew a couple of months ago.

reynoldsno1
20th May 2010, 02:37
Have ridden in 'em lots of times - mostly around the Pacific islands. One of my favourite aircraft - look good & feels good ....

PPRuNe Pop
20th May 2010, 11:12
A wonderful aeroplane with long life potential on every one. This WILL be a success story - just like the first.

Would love to get my hands on one again.

V1... Ooops
22nd Jun 2010, 01:31
Here is a photo of the first flight of the first new production Twin Otter (SN 845):

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/C-FMJO1.jpg

and here is a photo of the instrument panel of the new Series 400 Twin Otter, which uses the Honeywell Primus Apex avionics suite (same as the new PC-12E):

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/Series400-FlightCompartment.jpg

PaperTiger
22nd Jun 2010, 04:30
Now undergoing pre-delivery de-squawking at Victoria. Zimex (Swiss) paint, C-FMJO on peel-off strip. Haven't seen it for a couple of days, so it may have gone.

V1... Ooops
22nd Jun 2010, 07:47
No, it's not gone, because I'm the guy who has to do the ferry, and I'm still here. :)

In the meantime, here is a picture of the aircraft in final paint (except for the Canadian registration sticker over the Swiss registration).

Michael

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/C-FMJO750w.jpg

PaperTiger
22nd Jun 2010, 13:03
I'm the guy who has to do the ferry, and I'm still here.Great. Now, if you could just peel off the sticker before you go... :8

Is this how it's going to happen with all of them - assembled at YYC then flown back to YYJ ? Not sure I see the point of that unless it's just because this is number 1 (err.. 845).

V1... Ooops
22nd Jun 2010, 14:07
Calgary is the production facility, and Victoria is the delivery facility.

It makes quite a bit of sense to deliver the aircraft (hand it over to the customer) in Victoria. Amongst other things, it gives those of us in engineering and production flight test an opportunity to fully suss out the aircraft during the 3 hour cross-country from Calgary to Victoria. That trip is, of course, in addition to all of the production flight test work done in Calgary prior to departure to Victoria.

Customers sometimes request minor customizations or tweaks be made to their aircraft before delivery, and it is easier to do this work at the Viking MRO facility in Victoria than at the production facility in Calgary.

Plus - Calgary is cold as heck in the winter, and Victoria is nice and mild all year round. :)

Michael

PaperTiger
22nd Jun 2010, 18:13
Thanks, so I can look forward to lots of "exotic" Twotters then ? :ok:

Calgary is cold as heck in the winter, and Victoria is nice and mild all year round.Amen. I don't envy you those 3-hour jaunts in Dec/Jan though.

exlatccatsa
7th Jul 2010, 07:28
Where are you v1.. oops? We've got you planned out of Aberdeen today at 0900 and with the struggle you had filing your ifps flight plan, we thought you'd be here. Maybe filed for the wrong day?
good luck with the crossing

PaperTiger
7th Jul 2010, 12:55
Well, the aircraft* was still at YYJ yesterday ! I don't see a FP for departure or a record on flightaware but he could have gone/be going VFR.
What's the callsign ?

I'll pop out in a bit to see if he's gone.

* same paint, same reg. but I suppose it could be the next one ?

exlatccatsa
8th Jul 2010, 16:51
He was planned under the Canadian Registration... maybe just trying to get all the Flightplan routeings correct before getting to Europe .. IFPS can be a bit tricky even for us who are used to it.
If he's still in YYJ then I guess I'll miss the photo as I'm on hols after Sun:(
Maybe you'd post here if you notice him gone PT?

PaperTiger
8th Jul 2010, 18:37
Couldn't see if it's here or not. Hangar is all buttoned up against the heatwave (!) here. I've set up an alert on flightaware (assuming he files IFR).

ETA: no sign of it. I believe it's gone.

flash8
12th Jul 2010, 23:22
Having spent nearly a year flying the twotter back in BC... great days... it looks rather amazing with glass.

Summer in BC flying the twotter... I used to dream about... flying around Europe in a 737.... which led to.... dreams about twotter in BC in summer :)

Sometimes you really have to beware of what you wish for!

twochai
13th Jul 2010, 02:09
In August, 1966, (forty four years ago, for those not mathematically inclined) we departed Downsview, enroute to Farnborough for the first public showing of the Twin Otter, S/N 009, painted in the classic colours of the late, lamented Trans Australia Airlines (RIP), routing Goose Bay (CYYR), Reykjavik (BIRK) and EGKK.

With nine forty five gallon barrels of JP-4 in the cabin (gravity fed into the belly tanks) an unslaved, vacuum driven directional gyro for steering (with a 'trusty' B-1 floating magnetic compass for reference), a single ADF and a VOR for navigation.

I was in seventh heaven. What luxury! Never before in all my 24 years had I had such reliable engines, such modern equipment and thermostatically controlled cockpit heat to boot! The first of a multitude of Twin Otter crossings of the pond to follow, had we but known. But, after Farnborough we absolutely knew we had a winner.

Good luck to Viking - a great business venture and a great adventure.

frigatebird
13th Jul 2010, 06:06
Filling a 300 recently, for a ferry home

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/bird__photo/Pacific%20Sun/PacificSun1.jpg

twochai
13th Jul 2010, 20:43
The hardware hasn't changed! No pumps to fail mid-Pac.

jabberwok
14th Jul 2010, 00:14
ETA: no sign of it. I believe it's gone.

Confirmed.

I picked C-FMJO's Mode S code up at 1930 tonight (13th June) crossing the UK.

V1... Ooops
16th Jul 2010, 23:20
In August, 1966, (forty four years ago, for those not mathematically inclined) we departed Downsview, enroute to Farnborough for the first public showing of the Twin Otter, S/N 009, painted in the classic colours of the late, lamented Trans Australia Airlines (RIP), routing Goose Bay (CYYR), Reykjavik (BIRK) and EGKK.

With nine forty five gallon barrels of JP-4 in the cabin (gravity fed into the belly tanks) an unslaved, vacuum driven directional gyro for steering (with a 'trusty' B-1 floating magnetic compass for reference), a single ADF and a VOR for navigation.

I was in seventh heaven. What luxury! Never before in all my 24 years had I had such reliable engines, such modern equipment and thermostatically controlled cockpit heat to boot! The first of a multitude of Twin Otter crossings of the pond to follow, had we but known. But, after Farnborough we absolutely knew we had a winner.

Wow, I am really humbled to read your post. Between Saturday of last week and Tuesday of this week, I had the honour of ferrying the first new production Series 400 Twin Otter from Victoria to Farnborough. We followed a very similar routing to yours (allowing, of course, for the fact we departed from Vancouver Island and not Downsview). Our stops included La Ronge, Saskatchewan; Rankin Inlet and Broughton Island in the NWT; Akureyri, Iceland, and finally Farnborough. We overnighted in Rankin Inlet, Broughton Island, and Akureyri. Like you, we had barrels in the back (from the same engineering drawings used for yours) - because this aircraft has wing tanks, we only installed 8 barrels.

The ferry flight was delightful, clear blue sunny sky all the way until just after making landfall at Stornoway, Scotland. 28 hours total.

We did have a bit more navigational equipment that you did 40 years ago - the new Twin Otter is equipped with the Honeywell Primus Apex suite, which is a derivative of the Honeywell Epic suite used on the larger Gulfstreams and Falcons.

Below is a picture showing our approach to Akureyri. The little red arrow at the top points at the far end of the runway. We enjoyed flying this most unusual approach (in VMC!) - it is a 5° ILS with a very slight dogleg at the end. I never thought I would be able to look out the side window at solid rock whilst firmly established on the glidepath. Remarkable.

Do let me know (by private message here on Pprune) if your travels ever take you to Vancouver Island, I would be delighted to show you our facilities and, hopefully, take you up for a flight.

Michael

Series 400 Twin Otter - ILS Approach to Akureyri, Iceland
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/Akureyri.jpg

V1... Ooops
16th Jul 2010, 23:28
Twochai:

Might the aircraft below have been SN 009 that you flew to Farnborough in 1966? The background of the picture shows the first tower of the Toronto-Dominion Center not quite fully completed, which suggests 1966. That would match up with the year of production of this aircraft.

Michael

Series 100 Twin Otter - TAA Livery
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/TAA.jpg

V1... Ooops
16th Jul 2010, 23:43
...I picked C-FMJO's Mode S code up at 1930 tonight (13th June) crossing the UK...

Hello Jabberwok:

By any chance were you able to determine if our aircraft was transmitting all of the additional Downlink Aircraft Parameters (DAPs) that are appended onto the end of the transponder emission using the 1090 mHz extended squitter protocol?

During development of the Series 400, we decided to fit Mode S EHS capability (ADS-B out capability) as basic to all the new production aircraft, because we believe that ATC surveillance using ADS-B will soon become very common in the remote areas where Twin Otters are usually deployed - more or less the same way that cell phone service brought telephony to areas that had never previously been served by landlines.

Only problem we have had is that no-one in our home neighbourhood (Vancouver Island) has equipment to pick up the extended squitter, and the only folks that do have the service (Nav Canada around Hudson's Bay) filter out replies from ADS-B out aircraft that are not registered with Nav Canada to use this service.

None of the ATC people we talked to enroute had the equipment necessary to monitor the extended squitter. The people around Southern England probably have it, but traffic was so busy we didn't dare interrupt to ask if they could detect our DAPs.

So - if you can observe DAP data, look for us to depart Farnborough around mid-day on Monday July 26th, destined for Altenrhein, CH (LSZR). I would be most grateful to know what you see - the aircraft sends out an amazing amount of information in the extended squitter, including Latitude-Longitude, Magnetic Heading, True Track Angle, Roll Angle, Barometric Pressure Setting, and even the altitude the pilot has entered using the altitude alerter.

Michael

twochai
17th Jul 2010, 02:41
Yeah, that's it, V1, CF-UXE.

1st flight 08/27, 2nd flt and CofA 08/27, 3rd flt & ferry fuel system test 08/29, departed for the Goose 08/30. As always, a tight schedule!

twochai

coconut99
22nd Jul 2010, 07:32
Hi twochai,

You may be pleased to know DHC6-110 cn009 is still alive and kicking as DQ-FEZ flying in the Fiji Islands for Pacific Sun. I have had the pleasure of flying her myself a few years ago before migrating to bigger beasts. I believe she is currently the oldest DHC6 in the world still in active service. I have heard she will be retired soon though.

The Twotter will always have the top spot in my heart way above anything else I have flown to date and will probably every fly. I would give anything to take one up for one more flight :)

Cheers,

Coco

Dodgy Boy
22nd Jul 2010, 10:02
Hi ViOOOOps and twochai, thanks for such interesting posts! Its great to see the Twotter is back!!!! The Twotter was my first command (albeit single pilot) back in the early 90's and I loved every minute of the 1000 hours I did flying it.
Look forward to seeing at Farnborough this week and giving a 'pat on the nose'. Out of interest does it still has the electric fan next to the power levers?
Regards DB.

Aye Ess
23rd Jul 2010, 03:20
Hello fellow DHC-6 fans.

I too flew them for 6 years in northern Australia,for Bush Pilot Airways/Air Queensland.

Best fun of my aviation career. Went onto bigger,faster & higher,but,a part of me stayed in Twin Otters.

For those interested,there is a Facebook group for us Twin Otter lovers. Have a look,there are interesting stories,pictures & videos.

Welcome to Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=5586821522)

class6er
23rd Jul 2010, 06:15
They are gone. I crossed out the fan wiring on the legacy wiring diagram back in 2007. It's too late to ask if you want to keep them there;).

It's all Michael's fault since he asked me to do so.

MS

V1... Ooops
24th Jul 2010, 15:56
Goodbye to the roof fans on the Series 400 - they have been replaced by two dedicated gasper vents on either side of the instrument panel (for cooling the pilots), and also replaced by additional ducting to provide more defrost air to the right and left side windshields.

The primary purpose of the roof fans was, I believe, to defog the inside of the windshields of aircraft that were not equipped with heated windshields. A heated (glass) windshield was not offered as part of the de-ice package on the very first Twin Otters - instead, you got a tank of alcohol and a windshield washer system to spray the alcohol on the outside of the plastic windshield.

The alcohol system was a 1960s solution to windshield de-icing, however, a heated glass windshield was introduced in the early 1970s, and it did a far better job of keeping both the outside and inside of the windshield clear. This kind of made the roof fans redundant, although they were retained (I guess for pilot cooling purposes) through to the end of Series 300 production in 1988.

The two gasper vents (visible in the photo further up this page, just underneath the autofeather switches, outboard of each primary flight display) provide a far greater volume of air for pilot cooling than the fans ever did, and don't present the same occupational hazard (hitting your head on the fan) that the roof fans did.

Progress...

Michael

twochai
24th Jul 2010, 22:46
You may be pleased to know DHC6-110 cn009 is still alive and kicking as DQ-FEZ flying in the Fiji Islands for Pacific Sun.

I'm surprised to hear that the old bird is still alive. It had a chequered career, as I recall - an engine failure during a demo in NT (a failed EDP quill shaft IIRC - an early weakness quickly rectified by PWC) and a hangar collapsing on it in New Caledonia during a tropical storm!

It's difficult to kill the good 'uns!