PDA

View Full Version : Marree CTAF changed?

Desert Flower
14th May 2010, 07:47
Have heard a rumour that the Marree (in the far north of S.A.) CTAF has been changed from 126.7 to 127.8, however can't seem to find a NOTAM to this effect. Am still hearing aircraft transmitting on 126.7, as well as hearing some pilots telling others that they're using the wrong frequency. Or, is 127.8 just being used up over the Lake Eyre area? Either way I am thinking that changing the CTAF at this time of the year when there is quite a bit of traffic up there already isn't really a good move, because from experience I know that many people simply don't bother getting NOTAMS. And even those that do, don't always read them! :ugh:

DF.

TurnYourTruckAround
14th May 2010, 08:38
C2434/10
Tempo Discrete Area Bcst Freq 127.8 Established In Lake Eyre Region
Wi The Boundries Of Straight Lines Joining S27 30.0 E136 00.0 To
S27 30.0 E139 00.0 To S30 00.0 E139 00.0 To S30.0 E136 00.0 To S27
30.0 E136 00.0
To Assist In Seperation Fm Other Acft Pilots Entering And Opr Wi The
Designated Airspace Must Bcst The Following On The Bcst Freq;
1.acft Callsign
2.acft Psn
3.acft Lvl
4.pilots Intentions In Relation To Flight
Pilots Opr At Ads Wi The Designated Airspace Must Make Bcst As
Applicable To Non Towered Ads In Class G Airspace As Specified In Aip
On Discrete Area Bcst Freq. The Discrete Bcst Area Includes Lake Eyre
North, Lake Eyre South Maree (ymre) And William Creek (ywmc)
Sfc To 5000ft Amsl
From 04 302030 To 10 311200

Desert Flower
15th May 2010, 03:32
Thanks for that. Am still hearing aircraft on 126.7 in the circuit area at Marree - about four of them so far this morning. Yesterday afternoon there was a Brindabella Metro calling in the circuit area on 126.7 & a few days before that one of the RFDS PC12's. Would expect both of those guys to be up to date with procedures!

DF.

skipper1981
15th May 2010, 03:39
Probably the safest way to go here is to call on both frequencies.

PLovett
15th May 2010, 13:15
Confusion reigned last year also when they changed the CTAF frequency because it doesn't appear as a NOTAM under specific locations, only as a Central Office NOTAM.

Chaps and chapesses, you must read all the NOTAMS, not just site specific ones. :=

Desert Flower
23rd May 2010, 11:19
Heard on the grapevine tonight that someone done a "wheels up" at Marree yesterday or the day before. Anyone know anything about it?

DF.

Stikybeke
23rd May 2010, 23:34
There was a rumour doing the rounds late yesterday that it's an aircraft from a charter place near YSBK tower that does tourist flights out that way....nothing further though...don't know if its true or not.

Stiky
:suspect:

whoooop1991
25th May 2010, 03:33
oh its true!

VH-XXX
25th May 2010, 03:53
Airtex Chieftain.

Ouch. Both pride and wallet.

Curved Approach
25th May 2010, 03:55
AIRTEX/Heron Airlines tour...??????

Details anyone??

mates rates
25th May 2010, 04:58
H.O. notams are a mandatory requirement to check as well as the normal notams.

Pilotette
25th May 2010, 06:07
Yes it was an Airtex/Heron Chieftain operating Lake Eyre Charter/Scenic. There were 3 Chieftains inbound one after the other and the pilot said he was trying to slow it right down to allow separation and everyone was talking at the same time as well as his pax. In the confusion he thought the gear warning horn was the stall warning going off, apparently.

VH-XXX
25th May 2010, 06:16
I don't know about others however I'm always talking to my passengers on final with the stall warning blaring into my ears :rolleyes:

tiger19
26th May 2010, 03:38
this is the same mob that had about 5 or 6 of their pa31's suffer in flight turbo failures within a 12 month period.:=

dhavillandpilot
26th May 2010, 05:21
Yes with turbo charges - but obviously you have little idea about Chieftains as the problem was a world wide one.

The operator was just the one who did the most hours.

A bit jealous about someone else who actually gets out and gets business???????????

CharlieLimaX-Ray
26th May 2010, 07:57
Another little trick in system is for the Notam to actually get to the Notam office and then get issued correctly and to the relevant parties such as pilots and atc etc.

CaptainMidnight
26th May 2010, 08:36
if you go to NAIPS now, and ask for a location briefing for Marree, Leigh Creek and William Creek including HO NOTAMS, you don't get C2434/10. That's because you haven't asked for Flight Information Region (FIR) NOTAMs, which are as critical as location NOTAMs.

For flight you need:

Location NOTAMs ((e.g. departure point and destination, and locations you intend overflying e.g. navaids)
YMMM or YBBB NOTAMs (which cover the enroute phase of your flight, as well as locations that are not subject to NOTAMs)
and Head Office NOTAMS

CaptainMidnight
26th May 2010, 08:57
YMRE is a greyed aerodrome in ERSA, meaning NOTAMs are not normally issued on it (FULL NOTAM SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE). The only time a NOTAM might be issued for it would probably be when the AD is closed.

So for any of these greyed aerodromes in ERSA, any information for other than closure would be issued as Melbourne YMMM or Brisbane YBBB FIR.

YWMC is an unknown location in NAIPS, meaning it is not a NOTAMable location i.e. NOTAMs are never issued.

I might add that this no NOTAMs being issued situation for such ADs is not Airservices's fault. The category of aerodrome, survey status, operator qualifications etc. etc. and what they are prepared to do and not do dictate the situation.

And I agree re clutter, particularly with the AUSOTS NOTAMs. Unfortunately I believe their being issued is a legal requirement, because they are notifying air routes to be flown. There is no specific NOTAM category (AD COM NAV etc) for them, so they can't be excluded from a briefing.

CaptainMidnight
26th May 2010, 09:43
Hmm ..... dunno :hmm:

Actually to avoid having to log into NAIPS I normally use this link direct to the location briefing screen:

Airservices Australia - Flight Briefing - Pilot Briefing Services - AIS/MET System - Location Briefing (http://www.airservices.gov.au/brief/locnbrf.asp)

And when you put in YWMC there it comes up as unknown location.

It is a greyed AD in ERSA, so the NOTAMing situation I described applies.

Now, why they don't say in ERSA "NO NOTAM SERVICE" instead of "FULL NOTAM SERVICE NOT AVBL" so the situation is perfectly clear I don't know. Similarly NAIPS should respond "NO NOTAM SERVICE" for the same reason.

Or maybe "NO NOTAM SERVICE - CHECK FIR NOTAM"?

Brisbane Briefing Office types who read this do you have any input???