PDA

View Full Version : Kempsey: A step in the right direction?

Warbo
12th May 2010, 11:48
I haven't followed the story closely, but I do recall an article in the AOPA magazine about the Kempsey council's intentions to close the airport, to which everyone got together and lobbied against the proposal. I reckon even Dick Smith got on board. Well, if I'm reading this right, it looks as though the people may have won to some extent and the council is prepared to let the airport stay, provided the people can help justify it's existence?:

EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (E 2010-002) KEMPSEY AIRPORT

An Aviation Opportunity!!

Kempsey Council is seeking expressions of interest for the lease or establishment of operations at the Kempsey Airport.

Kempsey Airport is strategically located on the Pacific Highway, midway between Sydney and Brisbane, with an ideal climate and coastal location. Kempsey and surrounds provide a population base of approximately 30,000 with the opportunity of easy access to larger populations both to the north and south of the airport.

The facility boasts a 1650 metre sealed strip, originally constructed for air force use, located on 132 hectares of land, much of which is still available for lease. Currently, there is also a passenger terminal which may suit start up of operations from the site while a business is being established.

The airport is currently home to a number of local flyers, an aero club and one well-established local business. The lack of regular passenger services and congestion means that the facility can offer great flexibility in when, and how often, your necessary flight movements can occur.

Council is looking for expressions of interest that:

Retain the airport as a functional facility;
Allow emergency services, such as the SES, free use of the facility as required; and
Retain ownership of the facility for Council.
The Council is looking to expand on the existing aeronautical industry at the facility and is seeking to identify all interested parties that may wish to work with Council to achieve this.