PDA

View Full Version : Jandakot Crash

dreamjob
12th May 2010, 06:02
Anyone have news? Looks quite bad.

VH-XXX
12th May 2010, 06:31
Plane crash lands at Jandakot - The West Australian (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/7218385/plane-crash-lands-at-jandakot/)

A single-engine light aircraft has crash landed at Jandakot Airport this afternoon.

A Fire and Emergency Services Authority spokesman said emergency services had been called to the airport at 1.42pm after a report of the crash.

The spokesman said that no one had been trapped in the plane but the extent of any injuries suffered by the passengers was not clear.

Witnesses who did not want to be named said that there was an unusual engine noise as the plane took and that it had attempted to land.

The plane was carrying two people, who were treated at the scene.

The RAC rescue helicopter will be used to transport them to Royal Perth Hospital.

aerodude
12th May 2010, 06:43
Looks to be an Eagle 150 that has split in half. Its sitting on runway 30 with the tail on the ground. I hope everyone inside is ok :sad:

goatie117
12th May 2010, 06:49
Female pilot & instructor have critical head injuries according to Grant Taylor from Seven News.... assuming its one of JFC (Jandakot Flight Centre's) Eagle 150 : VH-FPP / VH-NMS

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th May 2010, 10:16
From Ch7 News, Geoff Parry, reporting,

Eagle 150 - VH-FPP - From JFC according to the tail - two injured persons - female instructor with 'broken leg(?s) & severe eye injury' - student from NZ with broken bone injuries.
Both are said to have 'head injuries'.

A Rescue helo was in proximity doing their own training and were able to assist in very short time, as did paramedics from the locally based RFDS.

Aircraft damage 'more than substantial' I would say from the pics.....

Some mention of 'EFATO'...

Hope they both heal well.

The Green Goblin
12th May 2010, 10:27
Looks like it stalled nose into the ground, planky do you wish to confirm this for us?

Sorry to hear, I hope they both get back on the horse as soon as the injuries heal.

VH-XXX
12th May 2010, 11:10
We haven't heard from Planky since he left Brisbane in his Warrior for the UK. I hope he made it safely.

VH-XXX
12th May 2010, 21:14
Sadly this morning it is being reported that the 22yr old instructor could lose an eye from this accident.

AerocatS2A
13th May 2010, 10:41
That's unfortunate but it could have been a lot worse by the sounds of it.

bsmasher
13th May 2010, 11:39
More from this evenings ABC WA news - the ATSB have called the police in due to (my paraphrase) 'anomolies in the fuel system'.

D.

Charlie Foxtrot India
13th May 2010, 12:01
I wish the poor lass and her student a speedy recovery. Sounds like she's going to have a tough time ahead.

I was taxiing to the run up bay when it happened and didn't see it, but I was talking today to a friend who is an aircraft owner and pilot therefore reliable eyewitness, who saw and heard it all happen from the hill by the tower. No doubt what he told me will also become apparent in the ATSB report.

I hadn't been able to work out how an aircraft that "hadn't become airborne" on 24L ended up in pieces on the threshold of 30. Once he told me what he saw, it sadly made sense and of course bears no resemblance to the story the cops and media came up with.

Not going to discuss it here as I didnt witness it myself.

Case Sensitive
13th May 2010, 12:13
"..a friend who is an aircraft owner and pilot therefore reliable eyewitness.."

uh huh. :suspect:

YPJT
13th May 2010, 12:33
uh huh.
Yeah the police account is far more credible eh CS? :suspect:

Charlie Foxtrot India
13th May 2010, 12:51
About as credible as the Victorian copper who said a Warrior pilot had "voluntarily jettisoned his wings" before doing a forced landing on a golf course. This then got reported as "fact" by the TV networks.

I'd rather believe someone who understands aeroplanes and aerodynamics and could explain how the aeroplane unfortunately ended up where it did.

Not prepared to discuss details, leave that to the ATSB but disappointed that someone can use this subject to scoff at others.

VH-XXX
13th May 2010, 13:04
Yeah those Cunard wings will do some "crazy" stuff when they don't have any thrust.

Centaurus
13th May 2010, 13:18
I flew the Eagle a couple of times from Essendon. It always concerned me that in event of a forced landing, the design of canopy locking device situated behind the pilots could easily became jammed closed in an impact, leaving the pilots unable to get out of the cockpit in a hurry. I carried a canopy breaker tool just in case..

ContactMeNow
13th May 2010, 15:51
More from this evenings ABC WA news - the ATSB have called the police in due to (my paraphrase) 'anomolies in the fuel system'.Yes, I heard the same story. Yet contaminated fuel filter? Purely speculation.

2 aeroplanes in 2 months out of the same workshop.....

Doubt she will fly again, but like everyone else said, lucky to be alive

CMN

dudduddud
13th May 2010, 18:36
That is a real shame. I was a visitor to the city of Perth this afternoon and noticed a smoke plume off to the left as I was strolling seawards along the Swan.

I knew the local airfield was off to the left in that general direction. I was hoping someone had safely over-egged some sort of industrial process.

Good luck to those involved.

zanthrus
14th May 2010, 00:52
Dudduddud,

There was no post impact fire so that "smoke plume" would have had nothing to do with the accident at Jandakot.

sisemen
14th May 2010, 02:01
noticed a smoke plume off to the left as I was strolling seawards along the Swan.

A couple of major factory fires in that neck of the woods over the past day or two.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th May 2010, 04:04
From today's 'The West Australian', page 3....

"Tampering Alleged in Jandakot Plane Crash",

Investigators are looking into allegations of fuel-system tampering in the crash of a plane at Jandakot on Wednesday that left a young flying instructor with serious eye injuries.
'The West Australian' has learnt that Jandakot Flight Centre has informed the ATSB investigators of its fuel system tampering concerns and it is understood the problem has occurred before.....
....WA Police have confirmed that the Bureau had raised the issue of a fuel problem.

The remainder of the article goes on to describe the event....
'The Eagle 150B had engine problems just after take-off and the instructor requested an emergency return, but during the turn to land the engine quit and the wing stalled, sending the aircraft into the ground.'

Both occupants are described as being in a stable condition.

The article concludes - 'The aircraft has proved excellent for flight training because of its docile handling and the fact that it is liked by pilots'.

Good luck to both of them:ok:

puff
14th May 2010, 04:28
I have probably over 20 hours in the Eagle, and the docile handling does not extend to when the engine is not providing power - it falls out of the sky at a far greater rate tham similar a/c of it's size. The engine in the Eagle also did have a history earlier on in it's career with fuel control unit problems. Sounding like this may be the quality of the fuel rather than an actual mechanical issue. Its a fun little thing to fly, but certainly not as 'easy' as say a 152/PA38.

Most of the places on the east coast that had them online on lease handed them back, I don't believe many are in flying school service in Oz any longer.

Hopefully they both have a speedy recovery.

punjab pilot
14th May 2010, 10:33
I agree with Puff in regards to the Fuel control unit , a well known operator in the Sydney area had their Fuel control unit replaced by Continental free of charge and appearently no questions asked even though the said operator was prepared to give a detailed report to Continental regarding 3 previous engine failures all in the circuit as the aircraft passed through 300 to 400 ft ,the second flight was because the instructor didnt believe the student so had to have ago himself and the third one was after a detailed inspection by the maintainence provider. At the time the operator said he believed that he had the eagle with the highest amount of hours in the country and that this may be more common in the future.NOT SAYING THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE EVENTS IN WA

HEALY
14th May 2010, 14:35
I flew have over 500 hundred hours in the Eagle and as much as it was fun too fly it was not a good training acft. Stalling was very docile but the glide ration was terrible. You had to start at 5000 or 6000 feet to demo forced landings. It was a little tricky in the landing as well and didnt float or allow much forgiveness if you flared to high.

Seemed to have issues with fuel vapourisation from memory as well, a real bugger to start hot being fuel injected. Rapid advancement of the the throttle during a practice EFATO certainly didnt give an aspiring response for at least a second or two and even then a cough or two.

training wheels
14th May 2010, 15:31
Rapid advancement of the the throttle during a practice EFATO certainly didnt give an aspiring response for at least a second or two and even then a cough or two.

It's interesting you say that. There was an accident involving a practice EFATO in Malaysia in 2008 that resulted in the aircraft not responding at all and the aircraft ending up in someone's front yard.

ASN Aircraft accident 26-JUN-2008 Eagle 150B 9M-BDO (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=21488)

Picture here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/2198789/Pictures-of-the-day-26-June-2008.html?image=1)

There's been about 3 or 4 accidents or incidents involving Eagle 150Bs in Malaysia in the last 12 months. A mate of mine instructing there had a partial engine failure in one last year.

HEALY
16th May 2010, 10:04
TW

Thanks for that, very interesting. It was hard to explain to students thats its OK when it used to happen....yeah right!

ContactMeNow
19th May 2010, 07:53
Jandakot plane crash not sabotage | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/jandakot-plane-crash-not-sabotage/story-e6frg13u-1225868806505)

Wonder where that leaves DC - jumping up and down on national tv :D

Now where is my drink....(no pun intended there either) :}

CMN

Charlie Foxtrot India
19th May 2010, 12:53
As for the comments on this article...

Chris of Rockingham Posted at 7:33 PM Today
Turning a planes motor on and off is dangerous, when I was taught to do this, as part of stall training, I was told that this is one of the most dangerous things a pilot can do on purpose. This tragic accident is mute proof that killing the power on a plane while in flight is dangerous at any altitude. I am please I did this maneuver at a decent height.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

If it is dangerous to turn my "planes motor (sic) on and off" how will I ever be able to get airborne? Presumably he means the "stall starts" that journos like to refer to.

Is there really anyone out there who "kills the power on a plane" at any altitude?

Hoping the two involved are recovering.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
19th May 2010, 13:48
Chris of Rockingham... Where do they find these idiots? (Yes yes, I know that the obvious answer is Rockingham.)

I feel dodgy enough doing inflight shut-downs on renewals and endorsements (twins), what idiot shuts down the only operating engine? I'd wager a tenner that this guy had no idea that his instructor just pulled the throttle back.

FRQ CB

the wizard of auz
20th May 2010, 05:07
I would wager that Chris from Rockingham had a TIF once and now thinks he is qualified to drive Jumbo's and advise the press. :hmm:

The Green Goblin
20th May 2010, 05:11
Chris from Rockingham sounds like a flight instructor from many a school in that area :ugh:

scran
20th May 2010, 05:25
CFI - interested in your idea on page 1 about rather having someone who understands aviation etc than someone who doesn't report it.

In my experience (32 years as a RAAF ATCO) and subsequent employment (I now work with the AFP) plus my studies, I think you will find it's often the un-educated one who gives best evidence.

A pilot or experienced person will try and analyse/second guess what happened, where Joe Bloggs will say (admittedly sometime stupidly..) "the aircraft tried to shed it's wings".

That statement (ie - possibility of structural failure) will be far more valuable in the investigation that another pilot's conjecture/theory...............

You even support this thinking with your post about the rock-ape from Rockingham (see how he tried to explain what was being done rather than just what happened........)