PDA

View Full Version : Around the World Flight

Seagull V
11th May 2010, 07:43
I see that two Bendigo guys have launched off on an Around the World flight in a Gippsland Airvan to raise awareness about malaria. The flight is being promoted as the first global circumnavigation by an Aussie designed and manufactured aircraft.
100 years after Houdini could that be right?

HarleyD
12th May 2010, 00:57
You can follow the flight here: http://www.indigosat.com/mam.aspx (http://www.indigosat.com/mam.aspx)

I wish them all the best. They have some really long legs planned by the look of it especially that long trans-atlantic sector. Certainly lots of overwater flying, that’s for sure. They will do many thousands of miles while Jessica rabbit is anchored off Sydney heads waiting for the weekend and the big publicity circus that is being organized for her arrival on the weekend.

These guys have had nowhere near as much publicity, I guess they are more the get on with it types.

I hope they took cushions.

I wouldn’t know if it is the first Aussie designed and built aircraft to do the entire trip, but I imagine that Nomads would have flown most sectors that would join up to circumnavigation, even if not an individual aircraft. Has no-one done it in an Airtourer? or a Jabiru? or a Skycraft Scout? (forget about the scout, I don’t think that 2 stoke fuel is available at all those places.)

HD

frigatebird
12th May 2010, 08:49
Didn't Hans Tholstrup do it in an Airtourer once? Don't know if Henry Millicer the designer was an Aussie though.

HarleyD
12th May 2010, 22:18
1975Tholstrup HansMAUSGrumann AM1B N6505L

looks like it was a ........AM1B??...... they must mean AA 1B I think

Airtourer would certainly have qualified as Aussie designed and (for Victas) Aussie built. would an AESL one qualify??

HT looks like the first Australian solo around the world, brave man in a yankee trainer. there have been several since then, mostly Jon Johansen, in Aussie made but not designed aircraft.

Anyway these Bendigo guys aren't solo, they are in the same plane.

Any other takers??
HD

Seagull V
14th May 2010, 09:37
Thanks Frigate Bird and Harley D. Not too many historians amongst DG&P Pruners it seems.
I followed up on the Airtourer possibilty. Turns out that a well known New Zealand ferry pilot, Cliff Tait, flew an AESL Airtourer (Oz design but Kiwi manufacture) most of the way around but shipped it from Japan to USA. Nearly but not quite. Looks like the Bendigo boy's claim is genuine.
I see that this morning they got to Christmas Island in Kiribati (pronounced Kiribus I am assured).

FRQ Charlie Bravo
14th May 2010, 16:11
Jessican rabbit (sic) and
These guys have had nowhere near as much publicity, I guess they are more the get on with it types.

WTF?

There's really no comparrison between taking an Airvan around the world (landing every night, having hot showers, eating fresh fruit and veg, being able to wait out the storms, seeing people etc etc etc) and what Jessica Watson has [very nearly] done. The only thing easier about Jessica's trip is not having to sit on one of those horrible seats (at least this one is turbocharged, that'll help with a bit of altitude and speed).

Of course, the Airvan trip is by far an incredible undertaking, something akin to my ambition to fly a lighty trans-Pacific (I very nearly got to fly a C210 across once).

Good luck Ken and Tim.

FRQ CB

criticalmass
15th May 2010, 01:50
They called in to Wollongong a week or so ago and filled up the very large ferry-tank.

Just about last light they noticed the maingear tyres were somewhat in need of air. Happily I had "Edward The Compressor" available, having done a Jabiru speed tyre-changing exercise. The Airvan's tyres were duly topped up and I believe the guys set off at about 4am the next morning.

Godspeed.

VH-XXX
15th May 2010, 02:28
They will do many thousands of miles while Jessica rabbit is anchored off Sydney heads waiting for the weekend and the big publicity circus that is being organized for her arrival on the weekend.

Sorry Harley D but I agree with FRQ.

There's no comparison!

As he says the hardest part is sitting in those dreadfully unfomfortable seats for long periods wondering if they'll be able to get a WIFI connection at the next McDonalds to get the NOTAMS.

Seagull V
15th May 2010, 03:15
I see from http://www.indigosat.com/mam.aspx (http://www.indigosat.com/mam.aspx) that the MAM Airvan made it to Hilo Hawaii at about 12:40 pm OZ EST (00:40 UTC).
How I wish there had been tracking systems like that when I was a Chief Pilot fretting about were my birds were. Luxury.

I found some more historical stuff about Around the World Flights at Earthrounders: round the world flights in light aircraft (http://www.earthrounders.com)
It seems that only 20 (their count or 21 my count) OZ based flights have been made in GA/Recreational type aircraft. Some of these were by repeat offenders, such as Dick Smith and John Johanson, making at total of only (my count) 14 First pilots. A pretty exclusive club.
Surely somebody did it a Nomad???

Andy_RR
15th May 2010, 07:03
...wondering if they'll be able to get a WIFI connection at the next McDonalds to get the NOTAMS.

no need to spend all that time wondering. McWifi is Mc5hit and not worth the bother!

Oh, and isn't the Airvan Indian? :{

j3pipercub
15th May 2010, 08:44
Hmmm, it might just be me, but wouldn't the resources be better spent on malaria medication than AVGAS???:rolleyes:

j3

Brian Abraham
15th May 2010, 10:58
Not too many historians amongst DG&P Pruners it seems
We're here, but Cliffs attempt, while worthy, was not a circumnavigation. At least that's what I thought the thread was about. ;)

Circumnavigation Definition - For powered aviation, the course of a round-the-world record must start and finish at the same point and cross all meridians; the course must be at least 36,787.559 kilometres (22,858.729 mi) long (which is the length of the Tropic of Cancer). The course must include set control points at latitudes outside the Arctic and Antarctic circles.

PS And please don't take Cliffs advice, in his book, of hanging a weight from the canopy handle as a secondary source of attitude information.

Wally Mk2
15th May 2010, 12:13
Did anyone get a happy snap of the plane/pilots b4 they left?> when I saw the 'van' at "Latrine Valley" LTV the other week as it came out of the shop getting fueled it was stark white with a huge bladder tank in the back. Unlike the guy who flew around the world (or something to that effect back in the late 80 early 90's in his C172 XP that A/c was barely recognizable with all the sponsors stickers all over it. God what was his name, i ought to know I worked on his machine.............Peter Norvel perhaps??? Anyway nice bloke, farmer I think he was:)
Anyway. aside from that good luck to those two guys, good on ya for doing it and bloody fantastic Jess for doing the sailing bit, amazing stuff! The whole event of her arrival in Syd today was spoil t when cardboard Kev was in the mix, talk about 'trying' to emulate Bob Hawke! I nearly puked when Kev with his fake smile was plastered all over the screen:yuk: What was that about a checked jacket & any employer who didn't let their employees have the day off was a bum?:} True Aussie, love or hate:-)

Wmk2

VH-XXX
16th May 2010, 00:47
Wal, on a side note are you the famous red and white twin driver that was at ltv one day and after trying to backtrack several times only to have to retreat due to a billion light aircraft in the circuit, said on the CTAF words to the effect of "I'm just trying to do my damn job." ??

PA39
16th May 2010, 01:04
watch the mozzies !

smiling monkey
16th May 2010, 01:31
Hmmm, it might just be me, but wouldn't the resources be better spent on malaria medication than AVGAS???

you can't log malaria medication in the log book, matey ;) :E

Crakanuthrtinny
16th May 2010, 01:52
Hmmm, it might just be me, but wouldn't the resources be better spent on malaria medication than AVGAS???

How can you spend the money on medication unless it has been raised first by somebody :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Its easy to sit in your nice warm chair and bag the efforts of others try and do it yourself sometime j3

And as you may or may not be aware the Airvan doesn't have an auto pilot, not even a wing leveler so the whole flight is by hand.:D

I have some good photos of the aircraft on the ground at Bendigo and as they took off. I have known Ken and Tim for a while and hopefully they have a good trip that they wont forget and comeback safely. Some of the places they are traveling through don't reguard life highly. And they raise some much needed money for a little known or cared about cause. My hats off to you.

Captain Nomad
16th May 2010, 04:34
Can't we just accept both 'around the world' efforts each for their merits?

As for the flying effort and 'resources.' They have very clearly defined two separate funds for their fundraising. One account for anyone wishing to help donate to the trip expenses and another fund entirely devoted to malaria. In this world a child dies from malaria every thirty seconds so it is still a problem... If they can help raise awareness and funds for research by flying around the world, what's the problem with that?

While we're at it, don't forget Owen Zupp and his 'There and Back' trip around Australia in a Jabiru also in motion right now. His trip is raising funds for RFDS.

There and Back (http://thereandback.com.au/)

Good to see the spirit of adventure alive and well in Australia. Go Aussie go! :ok:

Wally Mk2
16th May 2010, 09:07
nah 'xxx' twas not I whom had to battle his way thru the bug smashers that day. I know the guy & heard the story though, can be stressful f it's urgent. Remember there are around 16 KFC drivers in the system here in Vic so could be any of us 1/16th drivers:ok:
I have been confronted with that situation b4 though at other AD's, not easy to judge when it's best to enter & backtrack as sometimes the drivers in the circuit haven't got a clue! Fortunately most are switched on & accommodate us well.
Good 'ole Jack up at MIA is a prime Eg, he's one hell of a character & very obliging when we drop in & he's out there still training, God he must have a zillion hrs now!:ok:

Wmk2

Seagull V
16th May 2010, 09:31
Brian Abraham -
Thanks for the explanation of what constitutes a Round the World Flight. Are you able to come up with a similar criteria for an Around Australia flight such as the Jabiru flight mentioned by Captain Nomad?
I asked the records folks some years ago but did not get a satisfactory answer.

Wally Mk 11 -
There is a Youtube clip of the Bendigo launch on the MAM website that shows the aircraft with logos etc.
See YouTube - MAMFlight2010's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/MAMFlight2010#p/a/u/0/FboyNkBsiEU)
I understand that the bladder tank was changed to a metal tank.

Smiling Monkey -
I don't think that these guys are hour chasers as they both have real jobs.

Captain Nomad - Well said.
Let's not compare the two modes of travel. The next leg of this flight from Hawaii to California is a major challenge. I note that, over the years, at least two of Australia's better known ferry pilots have spent some time swimming in this very bit of ocean. Despite the US SAR assetts in that part of the world rescue following an ocean forced landing is more reliant on @r5e than class.

j3pipercub
16th May 2010, 12:17
Crackanuthar.

How did you know my chair was warm? Are you subscibing to that website...people will talk...

What I am suggesting is that instead of spending the thousands of litres of gas, donate it to the charities you were raising the funds for. But I'm guessing that if you know them well, you couldn't look at the topic all that subjectively anyway.

And I would never attempt anything like this, hence my post. I was not criticising the effort involved, just the motivation.

Fwoar, handflying eh, track = bearing on the GPS and she'll be right. Not like they're taking starshots...

j3

studentPILOT1
16th May 2010, 15:17
oh , it woud be a very very good flight around the world and i can do it with small airplane but alot of stops i had to do along the way to put fuel inside the aircraft .

Thomo91
16th May 2010, 21:14
Good on em I say - anything anyone does to raise "Awareness" as well as a few funds for it are doing a great job.

J3: As for spending money on Avgas vs funds direct... you have to do something to get something - funnily enough. First the flight is creating awareness, not only via some media (hopefully they'll get some sometime) but also at the places they stop, meet up with people etc etc... Not sure if you've ever done any fund raising operations before, but people like to see "something" or have an "incentive" to give. You just hope you end up with a positive amount of some description.

:ok::ok:

HarleyD
16th May 2010, 23:36
Differences between two evets I mentioned:

One is to to raise awareness and funds to fight the increasing numbers of people who die form or are affected by Malaria, this is in the millions. It will be a circumnavigation, and will not be quite so simple and easy as many here are very vocally stating. if it was so easy ther would be far more earth rounders in the books.

The other is to seek publicity and celebrity in order to attain personal fame and wealth for themslves and the crowds of managers and hangers on. I do not belittle the actual effort that she has had to put in or the skill and strength of character that she possesses, but hey, if that wasn't so stage managed for effect I will go he.

One TV commentator insisted that "even though some so-called experts say it is not an actual circumnavigation or a record, everyone here knows in their heart that she is the first teenager to sail solo around the world" , or very similar vomit inducing drivel.

Yes, it was a very cheap and throw away line in my early post that referred so casually to what has subsequently been promoted as 'the worlds first solo circumnavigation by a teenager' - completely wrong of course, ask the other Jessie, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good multi hour TV event.

Good on her, she done good, but hey, these guys will do a lot more good for a lot more people and without quite so much hyperbole.

Aplogies Jessica, you are a fine young person, and congratulations on your achievement, but Tim and Ken are equally deserving of accolades and for a far more altruistic purpose. (maybe not so young and 'perky' but still in there having a go).

I am taken aback that many here believe that theirs is a simple undertaking and that finding the next maccas is the hardest part of the trip. Ken works fior the Vic ag department as a meat works inspector I believe so he wouldn't go within a hundred miles of one I suspect. A trip like this takes months, possibly years, of planning and effort, and they are not home yet!

I am sure that there are many who 'almost' flew a 210 from somewhere to some where else, but that is all so much wind, get out there and do it, like Jessica did and these blokes are doing. Good on em all. adventure is not dead, neither is is reserved for Dick Smith and a movie crew.

HD

Brian Abraham
17th May 2010, 01:20
Thanks for the explanation of what constitutes a Round the World Flight. Are you able to come up with a similar criteria for an Around Australia flight such as the Jabiru flight mentioned by Captain Nomad?
I'm afraid not, but the historian in me found the following.

Ray Parer was the first to attempt an around Australia flight. He set out from Melbourne on 7 October 1921 in a Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2b, G-AUCX. He got as far as Boulder, Western Australia, where he finished up in Kalgoorlie hospital with his cousin Mark Parer, after crashing on take off on 7 February 1922.

The first people to fly around Australia, Wing-Commander Goble and Flight Lieutenant MacIntyre, managed it in 43 days in 1924. Two years later, Colonel H C Brinsmead and Captain E J Jones did it in half the time.

In 1927, with co-pilot Charles Ulm, Smithy circumnavigated Australia in 10 days and 5½ hours.

Lores Bonney was the first woman to fly round Australia in 1932.

Jimmy Melrose flew a DH Puss Moth, in August 1934, 8000 miles (12,875 km) solo around Australia, reducing the previous record by almost two days, to 5 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes.

All the distances mentioned fall in the range of 7 to 8,000 miles.

For a definitive answer you would be best to contact the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) at Contacting the FAI | Fédération Aéronautique Internationale - FAI (http://www.fai.org/EmailFAI)

The FAI regulations governing records can be found at http://www.fai.org/general_aviation/system/files/sc02_2010.pdf
A trip like this takes months, possibly years, of planning and effort, and they are not home yet!
Too true. Two good friends, Trevor Brougham and Bob Dickeson (misreported on many records as Dixon) flew a Baron 55 around the world in 1971, setting a world record. The start point was Darwin and not long after departure they lost all their nav gear save for one ADF. Mulling over the problem to hand they decided that having spent 18 months planning the flight, with all the expense and organisation involved thus far, they would take a punt. 5 Days 5 Hours and 57 Minutes later they were back in Darwin. Fortune does smile on the brave. just not all the time though

frigatebird
17th May 2010, 04:36
Brian
That Baron must have been before Dennis Dalton and Terry Gwynne-Jones went around in a Duke in record time. Good to see the Beechcraft Duke still on view in the Queensland Museum last time I looked.

Wally Mk2
17th May 2010, 09:28
now............ now careful there '"OS" one can get into trouble listening too the 1900 numbers live:}
Anyone have any updates on these 2 guys? I can't follow their path as when I open the tracking link it stops my computer dead in it's tracks!:{

Wmk2

FRQ Charlie Bravo
17th May 2010, 10:22
I am sure that there are many who 'almost' flew a 210 from somewhere to some where else, but that is all so much wind, get out there and do it

Eventually. The deal fell through when the economy tanked so I'll have to find or create another opportunity. (And if you're going to use quotation marks then actually quote... it's a minor point but I didn't write 'almost'.)

The other is to seek publicity and celebrity in order to attain personal fame and wealth for themslves and the crowds of managers and hangers on. I do not belittle the actual effort that she has had to put in or the skill and strength of character that she possesses, but hey, if that wasn't so stage managed for effect I will go he.

No more than looking for an Olympic medal.

Anyway, that's enough. The last-word contest is over you can have it,

FRQ CB - Out

Seagull V
17th May 2010, 10:50
Brian Abraham - Thanks for the historic info. You really are an historian. Is an Around Australia flight one that covers the extremities (Cape Byron, Cape York et al) or is it one that just covers all the coastal Capital cities? I will check with FAI as you advise.

There was a time when you could buy a ticket (lots of tickets actually) to fly around Aus on 3rd level (commuter) airlines if you were of a mind to do that.

Wally MK2 - Looks like they got airborne around 4 pm Australian Eastern Standard time today or 8 pm yesterday in Hawaii. (The Americans need never worry about the future because it is always tomorrow in Oz.)

They seem to be going quite slowly. A ferry pilot once told me that if you get head winds at the starting end you will get tailwinds at the destination end and visa versa. I hope he is right tonight.

Brian Abraham
17th May 2010, 15:48
frigatebird, you're correct, Terry and Denis made their flight four years later and beat Trevors record by four hours.

Thomo91
17th May 2010, 21:29
The other is to seek publicity and celebrity in order to attain personal fame and wealth for themslves and the crowds of managers and hangers on.

Just got to remember she Didn't seek publicity - we gave it to her, and thank goodness we did - She IS something Australia should be proud of.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind me saying this - She is no Hero (to others) because it was her own dream, these guys are doing it so others May have their dreams come true. She did her trip for herself, these guys are doing it for others. (and I say that in the nicest way I can)

Seagull V
18th May 2010, 01:18
The MAM Airvan landed at Mojave CA at about 10.30 am Australian EST. An 18.5 hour flight. Well done chaps.

Seagull V
24th May 2010, 09:29
I see that the MAM Round the World flight has made it to Kingston Jamaica after some adventures crossing the USA. Next stop Brigetown Barbados. The tracker was on the fritz over the weekend but came good this morning for the New Orleans - Kingston leg.

Seagull V
30th May 2010, 22:22
I see that the Round the World guys have made it to Natal in Brazil. Apparently they lobbed into Jamacia in the middle of a "State of Emergency" due to some political unrest in that country.
In terms of degrees of Longitude crossed Natal is close to half way round from Bendigo. In terms of distance for their chosen route the next stop in Accra in Gahana is halfway. The next leg is 2200 odd nms - A long way and a long time to sit in a lighty.

Wally Mk2
31st May 2010, 00:42
Wow that's gunna be well over 2Mill times the engine crank will rotate non stop (hopefully)!!!:)
Fantastic their adventure, just glad it's not me doin' it!:ok:
Anyone got any specs on the bird? I know it's Turbo'ed

Wmk2

FRQ Charlie Bravo
31st May 2010, 10:40
Wally,

That's a crazy way of thinking about that. Bloody awesome yet simple perspective.

I'm going to go double check my engine's oil quantity now and maybe check that the prop received a duplicated inspection and signature the last time it was put back on (two million cranks, that's scary).

FRQ CB

Jarvo
1st Jun 2010, 06:32
The boys have a 320HP Lycoming TIO-540 hanging from the front.
I believe that sitting behind the boys at T/O is about 1000 litres of fuel & another 334 litres in the wings, which gives plenty of endurance, I hope they have extra seat cushions!

Seagull V
1st Jun 2010, 20:52
Wally Mark II - You can find full specs of the Airvan at Gippsland Aeronautics (http://www.gippsaero.com/ZoneID=145.htm)

Atlantic Africa Weather - For those with a meteorological bent take a look at the satellite view at Africa, Eastern Atlantic Ocean and Europe Full Disk Infrared Animated Satellite Loop (http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/current/satellite/eastern-atlantic-ocean-ir-satellite-loop.html)
Very interesting. Ghana does not look at all attractive.
No wonder the tracker IndigoSat? Aircraft Satellite Tracking (http://www.indigosat.com/mam.aspx) shows no movement today.

cogwheel
2nd Jun 2010, 07:27
They are on their way again as of 02/0700Z

Seagull V
2nd Jun 2010, 20:59
The MAM flight seems to have landed at Ascension Island in mid Atlantic.
That's a man size diversion if ever there was one.

I wonder how much grief this will cause them. I seem to remember that Jon Johansen "diverted" in there on one of his three circumnavigations and received a very hostile reception. Seems it's British Territory but the USAF and the RAF jointly run the Wideawake Airfield.
Wikipedia says
"In 2003 the UK and US governments signed the Wideawake agreement designed to allow a limited amount of non-scheduled civilian aircraft to land on Ascension Island. Operators require prior permission to use Wideawake and should apply at least three weeks in advance"

I also wonder what possibilities this opens up regarding their route across Africa. The west coast of Africa, with what looks like better weather, is now within their range.

Late News - All is explained on the MAM website:
No, we are not lost! :-)

Thu, 03 Jun 2010

Now, if you are watching the IndigoSat track on Google Earth and wondering if we have eaten perhaps a little too much tuna and vegemite . . . no, we did not have an emergency change of direction. There has been severe weather all along the equator and trying to cross the Atlantic to Ghana was simply impossible. We were hoping to wait out the storms in Brazil, and then head over, but it became evident that the thunderstorms were not moving. We elected to look at other possible routes into Africa, and so, due to the influential Dr Roger Paskin (learned and distinguished epidemiologist with DPI), we have decided to enter Africa through Namibia. This involves more hours in the air, but it is a much safer route than going into Ghana as planned.

We plan on arriving in Ondangwa, Namibia on Friday morning (local time) - 4 June 2010. From Ondangwa, we will head up to Uganda on Saturday and resume the planned flight route.

bushy
3rd Jun 2010, 02:26
Wally
Shortly after the last dynosoar died, I was flying a new Cherokee six for the RFDS in South Australia.
That aircraft had flown the Pacific on its' delivery flight to Australia.
When it had about 200 hours in the logbooks the camshaft broke and it force landed in the scrub. (I wasn't flying it that day)
It appears that that aircraft had flown the Pacific with a faaulty camshaft that no-one knew about.

AussieO2
3rd Jun 2010, 04:08
Bushy
Was that Six, FlyingDoctorYankee, by chance.

Seagull V
5th Jun 2010, 07:18
The MAM flight has landed in Accra Ghana. Looks as though they tried to fly from Ascencion Island to Namibia yesterday but did a 180 about 200 nm out from Ascension. Probably due to excessive headwinds.
Today they have obviously decided that Ghana was a better deal than Namibia. It saves a lot of distance and flying time overall and puts them back on their original route albiet a couple or three days behind their original plan.
That's two oceans and three continents crossed. Only two more continents and one ocean to go.
Keep up the good work Mr Lycoming.

HarleyD
8th Jun 2010, 04:14
Looks like they are back in the air right at the moment, somewhere between Ghana and Entebbe. I thought they were going to land at a place called Boomba, along the way, but they went straight over the top, must be a good nav aid associated. they are almopst 14 hours into a 17 hour leg, with about 4 or more hours to go, only making about 95 to 100 kts so they really know how to pick the weather and get that bit extra stick time in the book.

These guys are doing it tough. I noted that they said that they had not used their Travel Johns yet. with an 18 1/2 hr leg from hilo to Mojave I am amazed they neither of them needed a p!ss, or maybe that doesn't count and they are only counting a major event as 'using the travel john'. there is no way i would be doing that in the front seat of an Airvan, Heavy turbulence tends to peen the end over and make the apre landing liberation just that bit more painful i am told.

They are due for another 100 hrly in Dar Es Salaam. (maybe sooner with the headwinds they are getting). they plan to be back home before they need another one.

I see that they are stopping in Bangalore to do a meet and greet with the head honchos of Mahindra (and Mahindra) who are major sponsors of the event and the new majority owners of Gippsland Aeronautics I believe. Take it easy on the curry guys, and wash your hand lots whilst on the sub-continent, lest you become in-continent.

HD

Good on ya blokes

W MK 2, . i once did a 1300 nm overnight, over water ferry flight and was greeted at the destination by a LAME with a brand new AD in his hand for 'incorrectly torqued cam gear retaining bolt' applicable to the engine S/N block that I was flying. They pulled the back case and checked... and it was finger tight. obviously that is sufficiently tight, but not by very much i suspect. Yes it was a single, no i cannot swim 650 nm.

dodo whirlygig
8th Jun 2010, 11:37
Have a vague recollection about Clive Canning and an around-the-world flight in (I think) a Thorp T-18.

Can anyone remeber those details?

Seagull V
10th Jun 2010, 06:28
Dodo whirlygig. Clive Canning flew his Thorp T18 From Oz to the UK and back in 1976 but it was not an around the world flight. Close but not quite. His book Charlie Mike Charlie is a good read, particularly the bit about trigger happy MIG pilots firing at him in Syria.
At about the same time an American pilot flew another T18 around the world, so this may be what you are thinking of.

For the historians I see that the RAAF flew three Neptunes (42) westbound around the world in February 1957 to represent Australia at the indepenence celebrations in Ghana.
In 1960 3 RAAF Canberras (+ 1 Herc in support) flew around eastbound.
Apart from VIP flights I wonder how many other RAAF Round World Flights have been made.

The MAM guys are now in Dar As Salaam where, I understand, the aircraft will have an MR inspection before the next stage. By my count they are now only one day behind their schedule. A good effort. If the maintenance inspection gets done quickly they might even be back on time by Friday night.

Seagull V
17th Jun 2010, 04:24
According to the tracker the MAM flight was airborne out of Dar As Salaam bound for the Sheycheles at about 12:30 Oz Eastern Standard Time. About 5:30 am in Tanzania. A short 9+ hour flight today.
The guys flew back to Uganda by RPT for a few days to further the malaria awareness aspects of the flight while the Airvan was being serviced at Dar. An interesting non-aviation post on the MAM website about this side trip.

bushy
17th Jun 2010, 07:48
Aussie 02
It certainly was FDY. I flew lots of hours in that one.

Seagull V
19th Jun 2010, 01:51
The MAM flight is feet dry over India with about an hour to run to their Bangalore destination. For once they had tailwinds on this leg from the Seychelles.

Seagull V
27th Jun 2010, 08:33
After several days break in India the MAM flight is airborne again. Right now they are about an hour out of Phuket. Next leg is Zamboanga in the Phillipines.
Home about July 8th.

Seagull V
1st Jul 2010, 00:25
The MAM guys have been moving right along and are now in PNG at Telefomin. I guess from the PNG highlands it's all down hill to Bendigo.
When they landed at Wewak they had all but crossed all of the Meridians - About 40 minutes of Longitude short. They plan to enter Oz via Cairns for customs etc and will stop over at Archerfield on Weds 7th. Bendigo on the 8th at 2:300 pm

HarleyD
1st Jul 2010, 02:09
Looks like they are getting closer to home after a fairly long grind, they seem to have specially chosen a route that was afflicted by weather and adverse winds. I checked yesterday and recognized telefomin from the google map thing. I would be getting home asap from there and seeing mum and the kids (in that order).

With any luck I hope to catch up with the boys when they get back, I recon they will have some interseting stories to tell. I met them before they left and was very impressed by their preparation for this flight and the huge amount of organization that went this trip. It was much more than just a ferry flight that's for sure.

Good on ya boys, you may not get the homecoming that is provided for a teenage girl, but I hope you get the welcome that you deserve for such an effort as this flight and the anti malaria awareness program that you are supporting.

HD

Seagull V
7th Jul 2010, 08:52
Landed Archerfield today. Home run tomorrow. Bendigo 2:30 pm EST

Crakanuthrtinny
8th Jul 2010, 07:59
The boys have done it !!!!!

Congratulations to both Ken and Tim for a sensational effort, and their safe return. I look forward to catching up with you in the next week. :ok::ok::D:D