PDA

View Full Version : CPL 150/200hrs or what?

Cessna Boy
10th May 2010, 23:21
Gday kids,

I have been searching the web for info on CPL courses SE QLD, but it seems everywhere is just offering 150 or 200 hour courses.
What is the go for someone like myself who has almost 150 hours, and about to start NVFR? So, should have 160 plus in coming months. Is there a specific CPL course (similar to JAR, where from memory, CPL course is 25-30hrs)? Or is it a case of speaking with a training organisation, finding out my specific needs and training towards the CPL skills test?
I get the requirements from CASA ok with a breakdown of P1, X country etc, but trying to find just a CPL course or a breakdown of the training involved is like :ugh:

Any advice, greatly appreciated, as always.

CB

43Inches
11th May 2010, 00:27
The only course is the 150 hour CPL syllabus which allows a reduction in hours if completed via an approved integrated theory and flying syllabus.

If you don't fit into that category than you must just complete the items of competentcy, theory and achieve the total hours (200 minimum total) required for the standard CPL issue. You must at the end pass the licence issue test to complete it, which is the same for either method.

Unless you can get CASA to approve your previous training as an approved course you would most likely be on the normal 200 hour CPL path, however normally your previously logged hours can count towards the total time required.

For either path you need to talk an instructor so that you can work out what you need to do. Make sure you try a few different schools to get a ballanced opinion.

YPJT
11th May 2010, 00:41
Gday kids,
Any advice, greatly appreciated, as always.
Here's a start, don't be so patronising.

Don't bother thinking about the 150hr course. As you already have over 150 all you need do now is find a school that offers a CPL training syllabus (there is no such thing as a 200hr course). Usually 20 - 30 hrs depending upon the individual and you are done. I'm not sure if you have to have minimum 200hrs before flight test but I'm sure you will find it in the regs.

All is revelealed here (http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/fcl/download/vfras02.pdf)

Tinstaafl
11th May 2010, 01:22
Not quite true. There is such a thing as a 200 hour course. It's simply any course that is does not meet the requirements for a 150 hr 'commercially trained person' course.

To address the person's question in some detail -

Excluding conversions from other licences, Oz has two routes to train towards a fixed wing CPL. In both cases the minimum experience requirements, total & various subtotals, are minimum requirements. Schools are free to add more to their syllabi if they wish.

* A minimum 150 hour 'commercially trained person' course with the whole of the 150 hours part of the training process, both dual & solo time. Some, or all, of training time completed as part of another school's equivalent course *may* credited towards meeting the new school's syllabus of training as long as the old school's training meets the new school's syllabus requirements. Any ad-hoc or non-'commercially trained person' flying doesn't count.

* A minimum 200 hours experience where the time can be accrued doing anything. The caveat is that no matter how much experience you have, you have to undergo an assessment process to determine what areas of knowledge, skill & experience you need to improve to meet the CPL test standard and the various experience sub-totals. The Chief Flying Instructor must then devise a course of training to address those areas.

If you already have a reasonable amount of experience then in pretty much all cases I can think of the 200 hr CPL will be cheaper. Remember *all* your time counts towards the 200 hours & subtotals, including any flying you do as part of the bespoke course.