PDA

View Full Version : Life Insurance (Rip-Off?)

Happy.on.FW
18th Sep 2000, 21:15
Not really 'medical & health', but the nearest to it, I guess...
Anyone know of any life insurance companies that don't load their monthly premiums just coz you're a pilot ?
Legal & General have just loaded their original quote of £46 a month for life cover for my wife and myself for £400,000 to a wopping £155 a month solely "because I declared an expected annual flying rate of ~350 hrs which is above their cut-off of 200 hrs pa". In other words, their risk assessors think I am safer if I am solely a puddle-jumper on 5 hrs a month than if I'm a commercial or military pilot with thousands of hrs experience !
Help !! Surely there are some companies out there who know that flying is reasonably safe ?

FireDragon
18th Sep 2000, 23:53
Give HSBC a ring, regarding their Silver or Gold cover policies (no extra to pay for 'high risk' occupations, etc..).
0800 299 399. Prices start from aroud £8 per month

aces low
20th Sep 2000, 16:37
Try sovereign (who advertise in Pilot and Flyer). They put me through to Canada Life.

Also try BALPA (the pilot's union) as they may have special deals.

Southern Cross
20th Sep 2000, 20:24
I had a loading quoted to me by Standard Life to cover private aviation in the UK including aeros, formation flying and formation aeros (with the possibility in the future of displays) of £875 per month (yes, per month) ON TOP of a premium of £45 per month. Can anyone beat that? (For cover of £500,000 for 10 years, I am age 32).

Meanwhile, does anyone have a recommendation of an insurer that takes an educated view of this kind of flying? I am relatively low time overall, PPL, but reasonable time on type (Yak 52).

[This message has been edited by Southern Cross (edited 20 September 2000).]

Happy.on.FW
23rd Sep 2000, 16:10
Thanks to those that replied.

I tried a few of your suggestions with mixed results...
Standard Life's underwriters said they would load ~£1-£2 per £1000 insured per year, but had a very good initial quote (Shame !)

In the end I've gone for 'Scottish Widows' who gave a good quote (£400,000 joint cover for me (31) and wife, 20 yrs, £40 per month) AND their underwriter has confirmed no loading coz I'm not currently fast jet (mil).

Sorry Southern Cross - most of the insurance avaiation questionnaires I've completed have had a specific section for display or exhibition flying (inc Scottish Widows) so I think you are always going to get hammered on that one ! But top tip is to ask for the avaition questionnaire and ask it to be sent to the underwriter FIRST before filling out all the application forms, GPs medical reports waiting 2 weeks THEN finding out there's some horrendous occupational loading !

Thanks all once again.

5 Dioptres
27th Sep 2000, 19:35
Ripp off is the correct term for it.
A few years ago I saw a comparison of fatal accident rates between pilots and motorcyclists. I have not heard of motorcyclists having been refused cover or having a loading on their policies despite the higher risk.

addinfurnightem
28th Sep 2000, 07:42
Thats because there are many more motor cyclists than pilots, hence a bigger premium income.
All insurance is a rip-off until you have a claim, then it's a God send!