PDA

View Full Version : Lamination

holdmetight
10th May 2010, 11:17
Does anyone know of a place in Sydney that can laminate maps and charts like the VTC and VNC? Looked at several locations today, none could do a lamination thin enough to bend or fold easily.

sagan
10th May 2010, 11:27
In the long ago I used clear contact. A pain to put on, but worked and thin enough to fold.

Practice on an old map first.

Ixixly
10th May 2010, 15:04
I used contact as well for my maps. So long as you take your time with it and think it through before hand it comes out tops!

apache
10th May 2010, 20:37
yep... clear contact and either a ruler or COLD Iron to smooth out the bubbles. Used to work a treat. Then the FINE tip pens and a supply of either methylated spirits, or AVGAS to clean up yer marks.

Arnold E
10th May 2010, 21:44
If you go to a signwriter these days you will find they can do that for you. ( all signwriting done on computers these days.) If your in South Oz I can give you a name:ok:
Woops! just noticed your in Hong Kong, but I guess they have signwriters there

Tinstaafl
11th May 2010, 01:05
Don't bother. Laminated charts are bulkier & harder to fold because of the stiffness. Use a soft - but not too soft - pencil & a good rubber/eraser to remove it. 2B is my preference. It's soft enough to be erased easily without damaging the chart and hard enough not to need sharpening too often. Not covering/laminating also means that you don't require a special marker just for writing on your map so if you drop or lose your writing stick anything handy can be used. My maps lasted years that way.

If you must cover your charts, see if you can find clear contact with a slightly roughened, matte surface instead of the typical smooth glossy stuff. Alternatively you can use very fine sandpaper to lightly buff the surface of the glossy stuff. A soft pencil or even a pen can then be used to write on it.

ReverseFlight
11th May 2010, 03:34
I once considered laminating my charts but because they are regularly replaced, I have taken to folding them into large clear plastic or cellophane bags (recycled from my shopping trash) and it actually works quite well. Mark your routes with a 2B during flight planning. I have never had the need to mark it in-flight but if you need to then a marker pen probably will be fine.

holdmetight
11th May 2010, 10:24
Thanks everyone for the advice!:ok:

bentleg
11th May 2010, 11:09
Clear contact from the newsagent does the job well and the chart still folds.