PDA

View Full Version : Bomber to be filmed.

Jetex_Jim
8th May 2010, 18:07
Possibly.
Banker Bob Wigley raises funds for film adaption of Len Deighton's Bomber - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/7582906/Banker-Bob-Wigley-raises-funds-for-film-adaption-of-Len-Deightons-Bomber.html)

In the early nineties, there were plans to bring it to the cinemas but the production was switched by Michael Caton-Jones to Memphis Belle, primarily - if I recall correctly - on account that there were more skyworthy US Flying Fortresses at the time for filming than Lancasters, which feature in Deighton's novel.

Lightning Mate
9th May 2010, 15:14
Memphis Belle

On the other side of the nose of the film star is the "Sally B", the real name of the aeroplane.

This is me and Mrs. LM in the office.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/SallyBoffice.jpg

Evening Star
9th May 2010, 21:50
Will believe it if it ever happens. However, if there is a book that cries out for filming then it has to be 'Bomber'.

Just please, let it be as written ... RAF with no Flying Forts.

robin
9th May 2010, 22:00
Noooo

Listen to the BBC Radio adaptation (on CD) - a masterful piece of work and the images are so much better......

MReyn24050
9th May 2010, 22:12
This is me and Mrs. LM in the office.

I note that Mrs LM is sitting in the Aircraft Commander's seat.:)

411A
10th May 2010, 00:50
I note that Mrs LM is sitting in the Aircraft Commander's seat.

Perhaps she supplied the....funding:}

Dan Winterland
10th May 2010, 02:34
Possibly a tie up with the resources that Peter Jackson has for the remake of the Dambusters.

As for command, it's a bit like my boat. I'm the one with the license and qualifications. But I'm rarely the skipper!

Lightning Mate
10th May 2010, 07:53
I note that Mrs LM is sitting in the Aircraft Commander's seat

I wear the trousers - she says I have to:\

crisso
10th May 2010, 14:41
A book of this depth and detail would translate much better into vision by being made into say, a 4 to 6 part series like - 'Band of Brothers' or 'Das Boot', as opposed to a one and a half to two hour film. I think the former would be a better vehicle to convey night-time bombing activities, plus the claustrophobic atmosphere of an Avro Lancaster. Of course, there would also be plenty of scope to show the extra detail included by Len Deighton in his novel, particularly the German side of the battle including the Luftwafe Night Fighter activities, etc.

ICT_SLB
11th May 2010, 02:30
Crisso,
Have to agree with you. Always thought the point of Deighton's novel was to show the huge amount of effort involved in just one single raid - on both sides - and, of course, the devastating effect on the target.

robin
11th May 2010, 18:51
Listen to the radio adaptation - its bl**dy scary. The back story is cr*p but the documentary elements from WAAFs, pilots, ground crew and German nightfighter pilots is fantastic

Captain Dart
12th May 2010, 10:25
Along the lines of 'single raid stories', in fact completely factual, 'The Nuremburg Raid' by Martin Middlebrook is outstanding. I could not put it down.

Hugh Spencer
12th May 2010, 12:33
I am extremely pleased with the news that Bomber is going to be filmed. When it was broadcast on radio I recorded it and recently was considering transferring it to a CD. The impression from this broadcast was enthralling, being an ex-member of BC.

eMACaRe
12th May 2010, 18:43
Captain Dart:

I met Martin M back in 1974, whilst on a skiing holiday in Austria, and not long after he had written the "Nuremburg Raid". A real gent, and a fascinating insight into the story behind the book. It was he who pointed me in the right direction regarding aviation research

Andy eMACaRe