PDA

View Full Version : Another EK 777 Returns to Gate At JFK - Potential No-Fly Lister Onboard

Iver
6th May 2010, 17:34
It's been a bad couple of public relations days for EK recently. I just saw on CNN that another 777 had to return to the gate today at JFK due to a suspected no-fly list person potentially onboard. Nothing has been confirmed just yet but the aircraft was shown at the gate. This happens after the apprehension of the wannabe Times Square bomber who was caught on an Emirates 777 a few days ago at JFK as he was attempting to flee (after the aircraft had taxiied away from the gate).

Whatever happened to security controls? Is it EK's fault for not checking the US no-fly list or is it a US Government problem?

Regardless, this has got to be a PR nightmare for Emirates in the United States - the airline is linked with fleeing terrorists...

Jetjock330
6th May 2010, 18:18
I found this about the second incident, but it was a false alarm.

Jet briefly stopped at JFK in ‘no fly’ scare

False match reported over passenger with name similar to one on list

NEW YORK (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36989787/ns/us_news-security/) - U.S. authorities stopped an Emirates airline plane as it was about to leave New York's JFK airport over a security scare, but the incident was a false alarm, law enforcement sources said Thursday. The source said that a passenger aboard the flight to Dubai had a name similar to a person on the U.S. "no fly" list. But it was a false match, federal officials told NBC News. The passenger, traveling with another person was cleared to fly.
A source told Reuters that the plane, which was halted as it taxied toward a runway, later departed. A flight tracking website showed it left an hour and a half late.

On Saturday an attempt to detonate a car bomb in New York's Times Square failed. The suspect in that incident was arrested on Monday night after he was plucked from an Emirates flight that was also about to leave for Dubai.
Prosecutors on Tuesday charged Faisal Shahzad, 30, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Pakistan, with five counts, including attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and trying to kill and maim people within the United States.
Shahzad had bought a ticket and boarded the plane on Monday evening despite having been put on a U.S. government "no-fly" list earlier in the day. On Wednesday, the Obama administration ordered airlines to step up their efforts to prevent people on the list from boarding flights.

ekwhistleblower
7th May 2010, 04:46
Well the border is the immigration desks so its down to the homeland security department to do their job. The first guy was on the no-fly list and walked through the immigration desks unchallenged.

Dropp the Pilot
7th May 2010, 05:37
You do not pass immigration on the way out.

Donkey.

Capetonian
7th May 2010, 05:42
You do not pass immigration on the way out.

I've always found it very odd that when you leave the US there is no procedure for proving that you have left. Before the new electronic procedures the departing carrier was supposed to collect the stub of the green entry card, but I left several times without handing those back. If they though I was still there they would presumably not have let me back in again, it all seems very hit and miss.

Brutus 5
7th May 2010, 05:45
Blaming someone else every time is not going to solve the problem, rather go and look into your own system. How does all this so call "no flyers" or bombers get into USA in the first place, and the so called secret services cannot catch them.:=

ironbutt57
7th May 2010, 07:34
Regardless, this has got to be a PR nightmare for Emirates in the United States - the airline is linked with fleeing terrorists...

Don't think this is the case at all...why would EK be "linked" to anything? and yes, the immigration "departure" procedures (or lack of) are a bit different aren't they..:confused:

DHC6to8
7th May 2010, 08:44
And here I thought that EK was just linked to poor management and slavery.... now, go figure fleeing terrorists too eh? Tsk tsk;)
6to8

Andu
7th May 2010, 11:08

This pic did the rounds among Dubai expats in 2001. As someone said elsewhere on Pprune: the bad guys have to get from A to B to do their thing. Which airline do you reckon they use?

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv267/seewhy1949/emiratesjpg.jpg

ProteaPete
9th May 2010, 09:52

Don't think this is the case at all...why would EK be "linked" to anything? The Al Qaeda bombers who blew up the embassies in Dar and Nairobi back in '98 flew in and out on EK services.

halas
9th May 2010, 10:24
And most of the Israeli hit men/women who pinned the Hamas fella in Dubai chose to fly Emirates :}

halas

ps: The "bad" publicity hasn't dented loads to JFK