PDA

View Full Version : Tonights TV

cornish-stormrider
5th May 2010, 21:38
Channel "Five" show on earlier with a real good thing on it. Wkole show dedicated to, and interviews with the last of 617's dambusters.

Increadibly moving and made I find dust in the air in the lounge, much respect to all involved and a Very well made piece of television.

I'd surely like to buy him a beer,

If I wasn't three sheets to the wind I'd remember what it was called.

Please feel free to remind me. But it was still an awesome show.

MrBernoulli
5th May 2010, 21:47
Last of the Dambusters
Historical documentary following WWII pilot George Johnson - one of only two British Dambusters alive today - as he sets off on a final mission to rediscover his past. He finds and digs up his old Dambuster bomber, before travelling back to the giant German dams that he once attacked.
Apparently it was a repeat showing.

soddim
5th May 2010, 22:36
I wonder if he is not now the last of the dambusters for Ray Grayston from Woodhall Spa who died on April 15th aged 92 was one of the last.

God now takes care of them.

barnstormer1968
6th May 2010, 14:42
I may have a different take on this programme, but I was SO glad that the man changed his view a bit towards the end of the programme.

His early stance, that unless you agreed with his verdict on the raids, you needed a punch in the face 'because you were not there' had me shouting at the TV!

I imagined a conversation with this man, where he could not have a view on anything in life, if he had not seen it...How narrow minded. Makes you wonder why he ever signed up for bomber command, as he had never met Hitler.

I know that sounds a bit harsh, but bearing in mind who the main casualties were on the raid (woman, children and enslaved workers) is was hardly a military success (but it was a huge propaganda success, so it did not need to be both).

Two other points to note are:

I still am in awe of the bravery of the crews who flew these and other bomber missions, and know full well they are entitled to their opinions (the few that are left).

Having worked in TV for a bit, I cannot know how the programme was edited, and what agenda the producer was working toward.
The way the programme came across to me, may not be an accurate reflection of this man prior to his trip. Either way, he came across as honest IMHO, and that is never a bad way to live ones life.