PDA

View Full Version : Secret Oxonian heli-base boys need your help for H4H

airborne_artist
5th May 2010, 14:02
Just Giving link (http://www.justgiving.com/3-Peaks-Stretcher-Run)

From the Wally Herald:

"AN RAF sergeant who beat testicular cancer is getting set to tackle two mammoth charity challenges before he gets posted to Afghanistan. [muchos respectos]

Sgt Pete Hicks, who is based at RAF Benson in Oxfordshire, was diagnosed with the condition 18 months ago but has since been given the all-clear by doctors.
Now the 34-year-old plans to make the best of his good health and tackle six mountain peaks for two charities close to his heart.

He will be joined by seven colleagues from RAF Benson when he takes on the Yorkshire Three Peaks and National Three Peaks Challenges to raise money for Help for Heroes and Oxford charity, Ucare.
Ucare was founded in 2007 by doctors, nurses and patients to support cancer research, education and the development of new treatments.
The charity funds pioneering research into kidney, bladder and prostate cancer and also provides patient support.

Mr Hicks said: “I found out I had testicular cancer about a year and half ago after a regular check. Since I was given the all clear I have been keen to do all I can to raise awareness about the illness.

“We’re obviously really busy at the moment and we are getting posted to Afghanistan in July so we wanted to do this before we go.”

He added: “We decided to support Ucare, which is based at the Churchill Hospital, because it’s a great local charity and it was a real help to me when I was going through my treatment.”

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/resources/images/1287164/?type=display

Keen to make the charity effort more of a challenge, the men will be carrying a stretcher with an 11 stone dummy on it with them as they climb the highest peaks in Yorkshire, and then Ben Nevis, in Scotland, Mount Snowdon in Wales, and Scafell Pike, in Cumbria.

The team, which will set off on the Yorkshire leg of the challenge on June 5, will comprise of eight people – four carrying the stretcher at any one time.

Mr Hicks was joined by fellow airmen Jon Bailey, 28, and Gareth Pugh, 24, on a collection around Oxford on Friday, where they raised more than £2,000, towards their £10,000 target.

Mr Hicks said: “We’re pretty sure no-one has done the three peaks challenges with a dummy and stretcher so hopefully we will be breaking a world record too. ”

Give them a big hand :D