PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand

Provance
5th May 2010, 10:21
Hi Folks

Am thinking of booking a round the world trip with Air NZ

ORK-LHR-LAX-AKL-HKG-LHR-ORK

I am wondering do Air NZ provide amenity kits in longhaul economy ?

Also, for the star alliance, which Airlines frequent flyer programme should I join to gain maximum benefit out of this trip ?

Thanks for all your advise !

Wycombe
5th May 2010, 13:08
Did RTW LHR-LAX-AKL-HKG-LHR with Air NZ last year (and LHR-HKG-AKL and return the year before), all in economy.

No amenity kits that I remember (I think they are mainly novelty value anyway, still have some funny coloured socks from VS somewhere!) but otherwise about as good an experience as it's possible to have in economy - good legroom (esp on the 744, 772 is a bit less generous, but still better than BA, QF, EK etc). Very good AVOD, decent food (NZ wine, China tea), relaxed service.

Can't advise on the FF stuff, but hope the endorsement for Air NZ is useful. The new Premium Economy on the 773 (coming later this year on the Pacific, next year to the UK on NZ1/2 I think) looks absolutely brill :-) and there will be "cuddle class" in part of the economy cabin on these aircraft also.

Capetonian
5th May 2010, 13:53
This has to be a wind-up. There are people out there who would choose an airline for a RTW trip based on whether or not they provide an amenity kit, the contents of which could be purchased at your local pharmacy (or Pound Store) for €10?

Sorry if I sound cynical but I am.

on time all the time
5th May 2010, 14:09
Very well said Capetonian.
We do have a very good amenity pack which has an outbound and inbound side. Most of the people leave it behind...That is a lot of money wasted.
ANZ is very safe, has got more generous legroom than other airlines...I think 34" and these are the 2 most important criterias for a long journey.

Provance
5th May 2010, 14:23
At no point did I say that the availability of an amenity kit would affect my decision to fly air nz. I was merely making an enquiry regarding the long haul air nz product.

Pohutu
6th May 2010, 02:02
I've been travelling between the UK and NZ for many years now, and I now always use Air New Zealand, since over the years I have found them the best carrier for all the reasons set out by Wycombe. They are generally not the cheapest, but I find them the best value. The crew in particular tend to be friendly, helpful and down-to-earth.

Looking at your itinerary, they are your obvious choice, since you'll be able to do the whole thing on Air NZ operated aircraft, with the exception of the ORK-LHR leg (I think only Aer Lingus operate this route?).

Re the amenity kit, you'd have to go premium economy to get this.

I have to say, though, that I don't think the Air NZ FF scheme is for you. It's very flexible, in that you earn dollars that you can put towards any Air NZ flight, but if you're not based in New Zealand then it won't be much use. For your planned trip, you would I think get around $220 of airpoints. You can redeem these on Star Alliance flights, but the minimum that you would need even for an internal European flight would be $250 one way. So unless you're planning on flying Air NZ again, you'd be better off looking at one of the other Star Alliance FF schemes.

Finally, if luggage allowance is an issue, you may want to book before 25 May. Up until then, for itineraries routed through the States, you'll get a 2-piece allowance (46kg), but I believe that this is going to change to a standard, 1-piece, 23kg allowance.

Pohutu

TightSlot
6th May 2010, 08:17
In economy, eye-shades and ear-plugs are available on request, from the crew

MrSydney
6th May 2010, 23:03
I have also been flying Air NZ for some years and whether it be a long haul, short haul or regional the service is always outstanding and have travelled in all 3 classes.

Food is much better than either VS or BA and the gate to gate IFE is fantastic.

Am doing SYD AKL LAX and vv in September in BP than SYD AKL LAX in Dec on the 773 in PE which looks just sublime.

Will be sad to see the 744 go - love the cone section right at the front.

The amenity kits are okay - shame you live in Ireland, otherwise i would post you one.

Businesstraveller
7th May 2010, 12:31
You could consider flying Business with Air New Zealand - about one of the cheapest business class seats available with a genuinely flat bed (basically it's the exact same seat as Virgin have in their 'Upper Class'.

If you like amenities in economy, consider Singapore Airlines. Fairly basic little kit, which can be augmented on request to the crew. Also their IFE system is about the best available.

James 1077
9th May 2010, 23:40
Enough people have put in their input on Air New Zealand but just wanted to add that I too find them excellent. I've done a few long hauls with them and quite a number of short hauls and every one has been a pleasure.

reynoldsno1
10th May 2010, 01:06
Concur with the above over the past 3 years or so - Emirates was the closest