PDA

View Full Version : CPL@44

HarbourMaster
5th May 2010, 00:14
Hi Folks, I've been a spectator on this forum for quite a while. Time to engage...

I just passed my NZ CPL flight test yesterday. I'm wondering if I've set any records for the oldest person to obtain a CPL in NZ, or elsewhere. Does anybody know? Can anybody top that, so to speak?

I won't be looking for a job. I did it for the challenge, amongst other reasons. However the whole exercise has given me a heap of respect for all those people who have done the same, and gone on from there.

Cheers,
HarbourMaster (aka Tim) - 44 years young :)

training wheels
5th May 2010, 02:14
I know of a retired school teacher who got his CPL after retirement and went on to become a flight instructor. If I remember correctly, he was around 56 when he got his CPL. He went on to have a relatively long career as an instructor until passing away recently.

Congratulations anyway. Now, for your ATPLs before age 50 for your next challenge. It can be done! :)

Homesick-Angel
5th May 2010, 03:24
Hope is a beautiful thing..

Well done!:ok:I heard of someone becoming an FO for virgin at around 50.Folk lore perhaps?Who knows

Im 33 and feeling old compared to a few 18 and 19 year old fellow aviators who have started on their ATPLs while Im finishing my CPL.Smart and driven little buggers. I was chasing girls, smoking ciggies and sleeping in late when I was that age.

Zordah
5th May 2010, 05:30
Congrats on your CPL.

I'm 42 and having my first lesson this weekend. What age did you actually start out?

Biggles66
5th May 2010, 08:01
i am 44 too and have three ground subjects left to do. AGK is doing my head in a bit - i guess that is the age, not going in so swiftly anymore. i am not doing it for getting a job either, kinda owe it to myself as have been flying for 27 years. but it still would be nice to be able to keep up some hours with doing the odd charter or so. what are the chances for doing that?

HarbourMaster
6th May 2010, 02:17
Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'm pleased to hear I'm not the oldest by a long shot.

I think Biggles66 must live in a parallel universe to me.

Zordah FYI - I actually started when I was 17. Went solo to prove to the RNZAF I was keen etc etc. Then did ~50 hrs with them, before getting chopped. Have just kept things ticking along since then, and realised at one point I had the hours for a CPL, and was looking for the next flying challenge. I really enjoyed the theory, which I did via self-study, which most people would think makes me sick in the head. Flying around the Southern Alps for the cross country syllabus was spectacular. However the general handling revision didn't feel like good value for money. I reckon my forced landings have improved as a result though, so that's something.

Why not work?.....Lots of reasons, but there's a whole bunch of people out there who really want to make a career out of flying. I'll let them have the jobs. Good luck to them.

Stationair8
6th May 2010, 10:13
When I did my CPL theory at Ron Robertons at YMMB in 1986, a guy on the previous course was 67 and passed all his theory and had started is CPL flying.

P Squared
8th May 2010, 07:08
Zordah,

that's crazy stuff....I'm the same age, in the same city and did my intro flight today (I was allowed to take off and the fly the thing a bit - Cessna 172) and I have a proper lesson tomorrow - this time in a Jabiru.

good luck with your training!!

and if you dont mind telling me, where are you doing it, what are your reasons for choosing them, etc..??
cheers,
PP

Zordah
8th May 2010, 10:52
Had my first lesson today....I'm on my way :ok:

Biggles78
8th May 2010, 17:35
Congratulations HarbourMaster!! Well done. :D:D That and my first solo I shall never forget.
Where did you do your Flight Test?
How long was the test?
What are the CPL numbers up to now. Mine was a tad over 4,000 but that was 27 years ago. I am now 52 and hope to get my medical back (this year maybe) once the surgery fixes the problem.

Now go an find a skydiving or gliding club and build some hours. It's a good bit of fun too. ;)

PropDuster
9th May 2010, 08:45
Congratulations Harbour Master :D

I was about 30 when I got my CPL
At the time I considered myself a bit long in the tooth to complete with all the young "wiper snippers" fresh out of school and flat out shaving.

After nearly 10 years in the business (on & off) and being blessed with the experiences of GA & Airline op's I can honestly say that age means bugger all.
At age 44 you have many years of potential flying left in you, in whatever theatre of aviation you choose to operate in.
Alot of operators these days appreciate a bit of "life experience" thrown into the mix.

As Angel quite rightly pointed out (not folk lore at all) VB recently employed a chap at 52 as an FO on 737. He was a decent bloke and they valued his previous experience.

You could also look at the 'meatbombing' ops for a bit of part time driving to keep your hand in and the beer money comming in.
(The only flying that I'm currently doing)

All the best and well done mate

Prop :ok: