PDA

View Full Version : When a Pilot has to go on the Dole - 1968 Style

Sir Stanley Bigh
4th May 2010, 19:44
I found an old copy of the Sunday Express whilst tidying out a tea chest at the local scout hut. This article caught my eye so I thought I might share it in case anyone else faces the prospect of selling the Wolsley to save money.

I don't think the size of it fits the new PPRUNE policy so I have uploaded it to Flickr.

Here's the link:

Pilots on the Dole on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33915722@N04/4579347720/)

Mike7777777
5th May 2010, 19:45
Interesting read, thanks. Pre-dole lifestyle was not that unusual for (upper) middle class in the 1960s. Wonder if Capt Winch is still around?

KeMac
5th May 2010, 22:43
Also interesting to note that there were cheers from Labour MPs in the Commons when British Eagles demise was announced.

DozyWannabe
6th May 2010, 07:44
Says who? :confused:

J.

KeMac
6th May 2010, 10:57
Hansard if you want to check it out.

DozyWannabe
6th May 2010, 14:34
Hmm... a cursory glance only seems to show a House Of Lords sitting that refers to it. May have to dig a bit deeper.

KeMac
6th May 2010, 17:54
It was in the House of Commons and I have a copy of the relevant page if I can dig it out from the mountain of papers I have in my attic. The word "cheers" is not used but another word with a similar meaning. I came across this when researching for my book on Glasgow Airport as I found it mentioned in another book on British Eagle/Glasgow and I could not believe that MPs of whatever hue could be capable of finding delight in the loss of peoples livelihoods so I contacted the person who runs one of the two British Eagle websites who confirmed the story but again I wanted the proof. The place I suspect this has come from is how the newspapers reported this.

DozyWannabe
6th May 2010, 18:57
Not that Wikipedia's a completely reliable source, but it would appear that there was certain acrimony between British Eagle and the then-government over paying duty on it's newly acquired 707s, as well as entrenched opposition from both the state-owned airlines and other independents.