PDA

View Full Version : Part 91 Maximum Flight time per pilot

ThePilotwithQuestion
4th May 2010, 19:40
Hello,

I was wondering what the hour limit is in one flight for part91 operators that fly for example a Gulfstream550 (2 or 3 pilots) under FAA regulations. I did read up on it and it says for 1 pilot crew 8 hours and for 2 pilot crew 10 hours but yet this confuses me. Isn't a crew made out of 2 pilots so why say 1 pilot crew.... Maybe the fact that I am not an native English speaker adds to the problem.

With other words, if you go on a part91 flight which your aircraft is a G550, what is the longest flight time you can log in one day as a pilot or copilot ? 8 hours or 10 hours.

Thank you

411A
5th May 2010, 03:00
The short answer is, there is no time limit for crew duty/flight time with 14CFR91 ops.

These are private ops, therefore unregulated.

As it should be in my considered opinion.

However, 14CFR91 subpart K regulates fractioinal ops, and there is a time limit on these flights, as I recall.

Most all reputable companies operating long range business jets do have an ops manual however, and therein are stated the crew duty/flight time limits....generally quite reasonable.

ThePilotwithQuestion
6th May 2010, 12:38
Thank you for the answer. It makes sense.

I asked because I was confused with the Part 91.1059 and heard from some pilots that you are not allowed to fly more than 8 hours, does not matter if 91,121 or 135. Then I also heard some pilots say "Never heard anything like that".

Cheers

agsisrael
7th May 2010, 04:40
Airline Pilot Duty Time:
Singel Crew 8 Hrs ( 2 Pilots) Per Flight
Multi Crew 12 Hrs ( 3 Pilots ) Per Flight Need Rest Place In The A/c
Dubel Crew 16hrs ( 4 Pilots ) Per Flight But They Need Rest Place In The A/c
120 Hrs Per Monthe
300 Hrs Per 3 Month
800 Hrs Per Year
Good Day
Jr

mutt
7th May 2010, 04:58
The short answer is, there is no time limit for crew duty/flight time with 14CFR91 ops.

411A is correct as usual.... FAR91 allows you to fly until you drop, awesome way to make money :):):) It actually surprises me that the customers who generally have access to very expensive FAR91 aircraft are willing to allow their crews fly unlimited duty periods.

Mutt

Tinstaafl
7th May 2010, 19:27
agsisrael, that's Part 121 rules, not Part 91 rules. Unless you're operating under Subpart K of Part 91 there are no limitations except for a general requirement for the crew to be fit for the flight.

To add to the mix, Part 135 has different and various requirements, depending on if the operation is scheduled or non-scheduled.

411A
8th May 2010, 20:54
Private flight departments can be very interesting.
One time, long ago, whilst I was managing just such a department, the local area manager was complaining about our one rest day, per week.
SO, I called the boss, IE the chairman of the board of the parent company, and asked him to intercede.
He did so.
His words to the local area manager were..." you don't manage the airplane, the Captain does.
The rules are,
1. The Captain decides.
2. If in doubt, see rule number one."

Never a problem again with the local area manager.

NB.
The company was on the Fortune 100 list of the largest companies in the world, and the Chairmans name was on the side of the building.
His company, his rules.
'Bow tie' Bob Fluor was a class act.

johns7022
8th May 2010, 22:30
No Part 91 duty/rest regulations....I can certainly attest to having done more then a few 16+ hour days...

Given that your average corporate jet doesn't fly more then 250 hours per year...they don't tend to run the pilots that hard....the exception when they hire a freelancer like me and want to do a month's worth of flying in one day....

galaxy flyer
14th May 2010, 02:42
Everybody says that about FAR 91 wrt crew duty, but have an accident or violation and watch the FAA throw "careless and reckless" at you as the Captain. No, they don't need an ops manual, but they are fools not to have one.

GF

411A
14th May 2010, 03:16
No, they don't need an ops manual, but they are fools not to have one.

Indeed so.
However, normally the insurance company insists that the company have an ops manual (bizjets, large turboprops) and that they follow it.
If the flight department is a member of the NBAA, the ops manual is part and parcel, just for the asking.

galaxy flyer
14th May 2010, 12:28
411A

I would have thought that too until I visited, in my current job, a US operator of a BBJ and two DA 900s without an ops manual and did not have any duty or flight time limitations. "We do what the Boss asks" was the answer from the Chief Pilot, who is furloughed from a FAR 121 carrier, btw.

My current manual has well-thought limitations, waivers are only given in special cases, with concurrence of the Chief Pilot and either the Safety Officer or Standards Captain after the PIC has the crew's agreement on the waiver request.

GF

johns7022
16th May 2010, 17:57
Spoken like a bunch of airline pilots that can't make a decision without calling dispatch or looking in the ops manual..

For those that actualy fly corporate jets more then 50 hours per year, and aren't trying to justify thier existance due to the lack of flying...SOPs manuals, ISO 9000 and all that other silliness is just more crap that certain flight depts use to give some credibility to thier operations when everyone is sitting around with nothing to do.

A SOPs manual isn't going to save anyone in the event of a bust......pull out the FAR/AIM if you need a SOPs manual...it's all in there...

411A
16th May 2010, 20:21
All very interesting Jonny7022, however....certain senior management types of larger companies like to see their pilots operating to a set standard, and the ops manual/ISO9000 requirements are there to satisfy said senior management.
After all, it is they who do actually pay their pilots....so, keep the boss happy is a well known modus operandi.:D

jetjockeyusa
22nd May 2010, 12:55
You can fly as long as the fuel and coffee supplies last

galaxy flyer
23rd May 2010, 20:38
pull out the FAR/AIM if you need a SOPs manual

John, clearly, you don't fly international, which isn't in the FAR/AIM by long shot. Refer to FAR 91.702.

Also, since an SMS and IS-BAO certification is coming soon and having an Flight Operations Manual, which is used and can be proven to be used, is a basic requirement, your position is on quite thin ice. And summer's here.

GF

vegetablevn
14th Oct 2010, 04:22
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

This link below can show more info, you can find them at: ISO 9001-2008 (http://Iso-90012008.net)

Tks again and pls keep posting.