PDA

View Full Version : is flight planning as rushed as gen nav?

General Mutley
4th May 2010, 18:35
Just interested to know if you feel that the flight planning(ATPL) exam is as tight for time as the gen nav? Might help my pacing a bit!!!!!lol

thanks
GM

flyvirgin
4th May 2010, 18:44
When i done FP i was out within 1 hour 30 mins same with gen nav took about 1.20, but most guys took about 2.30 hours to do the exam, but there are things you can do to help you with time, like in you Jep man, but them yellow sticky notes and label certain things like the sids and stars ie write heathrow so instead of flicking with your manual you have it there bang,
If you want some more tips PM me, I have loads for that exam, and a useful breakdown of the bristol questions,
Cheers.

clunk1001
4th May 2010, 19:12
Do as many practice papers as you can, and you won’t be rushed for time at all.
And don’t rely too heavily on having pretty colours on your Jep manual….because the invidulators swap a few at random with plain ones. If you’ve practiced enough, you’ll know where everything is in the Jep manual. I highlighted a few things on the vfr chart, but not so much that if I had to sit the exam with a plain one it would cause a problem.
Good luck

wheelbrace
4th May 2010, 19:19
From memory FP was the most pushed for time; get to know your Jepp. manual backwards, forwards, side to side and top to bottom. Try to get used to reading and drawing lines on massive charts perched on a postage stamp...

Don't rely on the post-its - if you're the one customs officers always pick out, then yours will be the Jepp. that the Aufseherinnen examine.

General Mutley
4th May 2010, 19:29
ive got it tomorrow so if i dont know it now i never will!!!! lol

clunk1001
4th May 2010, 19:47
OK, my tip : you'll probably get one or two questions where the answer lurks deep within the Jep manual, on some page you’ve never seen before, it’ll be in text approximately the size of an amoeba’s tattoo, and even when you’ve found the right page no amount of starring at it helps to identify the answer….so set yourself a limit for fannying around looking for things in the Jep – if you haven’t found it leave it and come back to it at the end, you’ll probably see it was starring you in the face. Basic stuff I know, but it helps.

General Mutley
4th May 2010, 20:09
thankyou all......:ok:

downwind24
4th May 2010, 20:17
I used up every second of Gen Nav (last 20 mins to check answers) but completed FPL in just under2 hours (92%) whether it was just an easy paper i dont know but definately dont waste time searching as you definately will get stressed (I did) , just come back to it.

Halfbaked_Boy
4th May 2010, 20:20
Personally I found FP was the exam in which I was most pushed for time = the one I felt most jaded after exiting!

As above posters have mentioned, it's about time management. If you don't think you can do a question straight away and do it fast, move onto the ones that you can. Also, keep your E(lo)s etc quick to hand, preferably somewhere on your table - I laid them on the floor and the way the questions were set out meant I was CONSTANTLY reaching and replacing charts of all sorts!

That's another method for the chart related questions - whatever chart you need for the first question, just go through all the questions relating to that chart, then move onto the next one.

All the best :)

General Mutley
4th May 2010, 21:03
cheers :eek: :ok:

MalteseJambo
12th May 2010, 10:07
How did you do Mutley?

Everyone was telling me that you are really pushed for time for that exam; i think question 2 was a nonsence (asking for what navaid was present at certain coordinates which weren't on any map), that phased me a bit but just worked through it a my own pace and was through it all in 2 hours, spent the last hour checking and double checking.... got 89% so very happy

General Mutley
12th May 2010, 12:01
I felt it went well with plenty of time to check answers (unlike gen nav!!!).
Sat it first week of may so will not get results till next week.
:ok:

flyvirgin
12th May 2010, 12:04
Good luck for the results:ok::ok:

General Mutley
12th May 2010, 12:06
Many thanks :)

MalteseJambo
16th May 2010, 22:50
Mate, over here in Malta we have a good idea a couple of hours after the exam, they mark them quickly and invidulator usually gives us an extra smile or two if everyones done ok! The academy then gives us the official results the next monday/tues after the exams are finished!

Let us know how you got on!

General Mutley
22nd May 2010, 13:28
flight planning 94, gen nav 87. No more exams for me - thankfully!
Thanks for all your help everyone :ok:

wheelbrace
22nd May 2010, 15:40
until the CPL, MEIR SK... biannual SEP renewal... annual ME/IR renewals... TR renewals...

Donchya just love aviation?

Well done on the theory, anyway - it is a great weight off the mind, as I recall.

:D