PDA

View Full Version : PayPal NO-GO item in aviation

9Aplus
3rd May 2010, 18:34
Dear fellows,

like to make public our recent experience with PayPal....:}

Because of holidays, in attempt to lock helicopter charter, on time,
we have used account opened at above mentioned company to
receive charter deposit. (account was used before with no problems)

Unfortunately they (PayPal) attempt to block account and recived ammount for 180 days :ugh: with following message:

" For the safety and security of the PayPal network, we often review
accounts for potential risks. After reviewing your account, we have
decided to close it because of security issues."

Therefore we decided to close all business with them, then requested
to return full received amount back to customer accounts.....

We will see the final outcome, but we are ready to take all necessary
legal steps :mad: against them within EU.
( their address of registration is in Luxembourg )

No more bussines from us to PayPal :=

long live good old fashioned SWIFT :ok:

pitot212
3rd May 2010, 20:23
PayPal have provided an excellent service for me so far. Is there more to this story?

paco
4th May 2010, 06:38
My experience of paypal as an ebay person of more years than I care to remember is that they are thieves, liars and charlatans with no redeeming features. You try sending an item where the person says they haven't received it (or it is damaged) and see how much they help, especially if they use a credit card to pay rather than their paypal account. The end result is that you end up with no money or item. Be very careful! And make sure that a trackable item includes the location as well as the signature!

Even with a recent item that I had to send back, it took over 3 months to get a refund, with them repeatedly asking for more paperwork at the last minute before they cancelled the dispute - you really have to keep a close watch on your emails.

Phil

9Aplus
4th May 2010, 08:47
Dear XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

I understand how you feel about this situation.

To assist you further I have forwarded a refund to issue a refund for these
transactions.

Please allow some time for us to complete this process. You will be
notified via email once we have an update.

Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Yours Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg
B 118 349We sincerly hope this will be the end of story.....Thank you for choosing PayPal. :confused::ugh::{

@pitot 212 / our experience was also positive till this last issue, which put us in
position to cover all expenses to our end customer and cover expenses of another
option. Sad but true. For us from now PayPal NO-GO :}

@TorqueStripe, for us all small was good too, first big caused BIG trouble, and
yes all kind of credit cards are always existing option, customer chosed that service...
result you know

parasite drag
4th May 2010, 09:29
Why is this in Rotorheads :confused:

212man
4th May 2010, 10:13
Why is this in Rotorheads

I assume because it relates to an operator receiving payment for helicopter services.....

Because of holidays, in attempt to lock helicopter charter, on time,
we have used account opened at above mentioned company to
receive charter deposit

9Aplus
4th May 2010, 10:13
Because we are rotorheads, and even rotors need some cash to run...

Maybe your rotors run on good will, our's not, please tell me your secret :)

parasite drag
4th May 2010, 10:17
Chill guys....it seemed more of a Paypal issue than one pertaining to helicopters to me....:)

kalleh
5th May 2010, 20:04
I agree this is OT, but here is some advice: If you are running a business DO NOT operate it from a PayPal *personal* account, this can lead to all sorts of problem, including freezing of funds for a very long time. Always use a business account with all the verification steps completed.

Fly_For_Fun
5th May 2010, 22:22
9Aplus, what ever possessed you to post this?

I have just wasted 2 mins of my life reading complete drivel. :confused:

paco
6th May 2010, 04:17
If you were running a company and got stiffed by a customer who paid with paypal you'd think differently. And I wouldn't even use a business account. paypal will not help if the customer takes the flight and afterwards repudiates the payment - my point is that the funds are not guaranteed. My first company wouldn't fly without a credit card being used for the estimated flying time, and I've used that principle ever since. And the more the customer is in a hurry, the more they pay up front!

Phil

zlocko2002
6th May 2010, 07:12
i read that somewhere... err in your book? operational flying? :8

9Aplus
6th May 2010, 07:20
Fly for fun, Paco provided fair answer to you....

but I can fully understand your point, after all you're flying just for fun,
please keep in mind that someone need to fly for common bread and milk...:E

highonsnow
7th May 2010, 13:13
We've experienced this problem with Paypal, it seems to be Standard Operating Procedure and will eventually happen to nearly all business operating accounts.

We had to send them proof of bank statements, proof of address, identity etc, but eventually we got it resolved (cooperation is the key).

Hope this fragment of information helps.. we went through the same frustration as you, it was very very frustrating!!

9Aplus
7th May 2010, 14:29
We had to send them proof of bank statements, proof of address, identity etc, but eventually we got it resolved (cooperation is the key).

On our side we done the same, took 4 days, we did not received any serious real reason why they attempt to ruin our business.

Must emphasize that we are legitimate European Joint Stock Company just like
they are....
NO-GO item ( amount still not refunded )

highonsnow
8th May 2010, 13:01
I think if they are to throw these 'formalities' at us, they should do it from the very beginning - not allow you to proceed into relying on the account for routine business transactions to then be crippled for an indefinite period of time while they satisfy themselves that you are truely legit... (what sort of legislation would even require this sort of action? It's hardly internal red tape?).

Fly_For_Fun
8th May 2010, 13:56
9Aplus
but I can fully understand your point, after all you're flying just for fun,
please keep in mind that someone need to fly for common bread and milk.

You speak from a position of ignorance. I have a point of view and will voice it if I wish.

9Aplus
8th May 2010, 15:20
@Fly_For_Fun
Yes, yes, please feel like at your own home, but why you are still wasting your time here :rolleyes:
I have just wasted 2 mins of my life reading complete drivel@highonsnow
Agree, that is The major issue....
Main reason why I made all this, public, is that my fellow aviators have right to know...:ok:

747 jock
8th May 2010, 18:27
paypal will not help if the customer takes the flight and afterwards repudiates the payment - my point is that the funds are not guaranteed.

And nowhere in the paypal user agreement does it state that a payment accepted for a service is guaranteed.
They do have customer protection policies, but one of the requirements (again, clearly written in the UA) is that the accepted payment must be for a tangible item and that you are able to prove delivery to the customer by using an online viewable proof of delivery.

Paypal has its uses and its limitations and provided that it is used sensibly within these limitations, it is a very handy, very fast, and reasonably secure method of payment.

I have used paypal many hundreds of times (for both accepting and sending payments), and have only ever had 2 problems both of which were sorted out in my favour as I knew and followed their guidelines.

Ready2Fly
10th May 2010, 19:38
fwiw...
...but one of the requirements (again, clearly written in the UA) is that the accepted payment must be for a tangible item...

I did consider paypal as well to receive payments especially as it is 'easy' to receive payments via creditcards without signing an own (expensive) agreement and it was this very sentence which is why i do not use paypal.

Fair enough....you get what you pay for (as always in life)....not more, not less...

(9Aplus: no offense intended)

9Aplus
11th May 2010, 09:01
@Ready2Fly, Fair enough :ok:

Please keep in mind, that you suppose to pay PayPal approx 3,5% of amount
Per transaction, not cheap either....:rolleyes:

grumpytroll
11th May 2010, 14:23
I am a helicopter pilot (air methods) a retired airline pilot (northwest airlines) and a business owner (www.thegrumpytroll.com (http://www.thegrumpytroll.com)) I use paypal for online sales for retail merchandise. Now, paypal. Since paypal is the worlds number one online financial service provider, they are also the number one target for the worlds(and i mean the entire worlds) hackers and thieves. I won't bore you with details. Be wary of any PayPal offers, deals, warnings, offers etc. There alot of very smart an evil folks who are working 24-7 to exploit whatever business you are in. Cheers