PDA

View Full Version : EK bond

BadBigbusBoy
3rd May 2010, 18:23
I'm A320 / A330 rated.
Would I be bonded if I join on the A330/340 ? B777 ?
Let's assume I get on the A380 in a years time; would I be bonded then ?

Currently in a fairly good job, 6 yrs seniority, no real career airline though. Have a great job lined up (but who knows when: 1 yr ? 2 yrs ? maybe never, nothing is certain this day and age). Meanwhile I wouldn't mind a bit of a (tax-free) adventure.

Cheers

SOPS
3rd May 2010, 19:08
yes you will have a 3 year bond, you would never go on the A380 in a year..please get real....you will spend, I would think 5 to 7 years as a FO on whatever fleet you are given at joining.....but the A380 is years off for new joiners (IMHO)

BadBigbusBoy
3rd May 2010, 19:12
Thanks for your answer.

Well, that 3 yr bond will keep me clear of EK then. :cool:

BYMONEK
3rd May 2010, 23:25
BadBigbusBoy

How can you have something lined up but don't know when it will be? :confused: Obviously a different Company to the one you're in I guess but your post is somewhat vague.

Anyway, it's a damn shame you don't feel like coming just because of the bond issue. Why not ask them to make an exception for you as you don't feel it's right that an Airline should spend tens of thousands of dollars interviewing you, training you in classrooms, simulators and widebody aircraft, providing free furnished living accommodation, uniform and interest free car loan and then expect you to stay for at least 3 years.

Shocking! :rolleyes:

shortfuel
4th May 2010, 00:14
Nothing vague here...he may just be waiting for a call from AFR, that's it.

BYMONEK: the OP never mentioned a 3-year bond wasn't right, he's just not interested, see the difference?
If you think that bonding a 330 rated pilot to hire him...on a 330 fleet is right, then you have a problem...

No "damn shame" here, just a strategic query from a pilot with a job...

My 2 cents.

BTW, Etihad will not bond you if you're 330 current, but they're not hiring on the 330 for the time being (holding pool).

CAVnotOK
4th May 2010, 02:13
I have a friend who joined EK on the 777 with B777 Rating. They still bonded him.......

the Pricks.

Cav.

Schnowzer
4th May 2010, 04:38
I don't think the bond is just about the type rating but the costs of getting the new hire into dubai. With all the walts about, everyone does a full type rating course anyway so its easy to call it a training bond

CAVnotOK
4th May 2010, 05:40
Yes, but that would make sense if you actually received training!

Cav.

sheikmyarse
4th May 2010, 06:12
My friend

Don't listen to this prick Bymonek, he has lost the sense of reality.
Everything in EK is designed to make it as difficult as possible to leave once you made the mistake of your life. Basically it is an extremely well planned fraud.
Training is non existent and they should feel ashamed of bonding people ( and for other dozens of reasons... ). They give you a book and then ask you to answer their (silly) questions. The bond is what mainly keeps the people there for the first three years. Nevertheless people regurlarly leave even before cause some ( normally the clever ones) get the feeling they will become like Bymonek if they stay. Everything is cheap in Dubai my friend...**** covered with very thin layer of gold ( fake) .Starting with the uniform ( horrible quality and tailoring... and the hat is just a joke!!! ) ending trough quality of life ( that I would summarize with "heat, sweat, pollution and ****" ). Accomodation is a joke if not a drama sometimes and I know people that left the company cause they where involved in incredible issues with that departement..story that you would not believe! You will hate the patronizing attitude of your incompetent "managers" and the feeling of being treated like a kid in the classroom ( wow!!! what a bonus having classrooms!!! ) . Don't be fooled by the shiny jets... you will spend to much time on them and get tired and bored...and ask your self the following questions " Who ever if not loosers, pricks and incompetent people would join this overheated circus? " Not you my friend..not you!!

Wizofoz
4th May 2010, 07:05
Sheiky,

Simple question that might put your posts into context:-

Did you leave Emirates voluntarily, or were your services terminated?

chuckunu
4th May 2010, 12:48
Anyway, it's a damn shame you don't feel like coming just because of the bond issue. Why not ask them to make an exception for you as you don't feel it's right that an Airline should spend tens of thousands of dollars interviewing you, training you in classrooms, simulators and widebody aircraft, providing free furnished living accommodation, uniform and interest free car loan and then expect you to stay for at least 3 years.

If the job was worth keeping then it would not need a bond!
A bond is only away to under compensate an employee in order to keep him from costing the company money.
I think any place with a bond has issues.

BadBigbusBoy
4th May 2010, 13:35
Shortfuel is spot on : I passed my selections for a proper major before the crisis hit, but that is 2 yrs ago now. So one starts to wonder...

I can understand that you get a bond when an airline trains you from scratch. I was bonded for 18 months when I got my initial type-rating. But when I got my A330-rating in the same company, I didn't get a bond. No bond in BA, AF, LH, CX as far as I'm aware.

If I want a bond-free adventure there is always KAL and VAC I guess, but that's on temporary contracts. I better stay put then and wait for that command which is around the corner. Still hoping that things pick up and I get that expected phone-call ...

Merci bien !

BYMONEK
4th May 2010, 17:18
Shortfuel/chuckunu/BadBigbusBoy

Correct me if i'm wrong, but 'Well, that 3 yr bond will keep me clear of EK then' was quoted. That was the reason for not coming. It's because of the bond that he's not interested. YES, I am aware of the difference, are you?

My reply, sarcastic as it was, expressed my own view that the bond is there for a reason. To cover costs outlayed on the individual. Regardless of the justification in imposing bonds, many airlines do actually use them. They only become an issue if you have to leave during the bonding timeframe, usually 3 years. Most are adjusted by pro rata anyway.

While it's easy to quote the likes of BA, AF, LH etc not having bonds, the question has to be asked, "why not apply to work for these wonder airlines then?" Start comparing like with like. BA are in a financial mess and it wouldn't surprise me if either their cabin crew or the massive pension debt brings them down in the next 3-4 years. As for AF and LH, no bond but long, long time in the right seat. If your command is round the corner, I can't see that being an option.

Personally Busboy, I think you're just a bit too full of your own self importance to be taken seriously.

Wizofoz

That was a rhetorical question, right? :E

MATMAX
4th May 2010, 17:33
sheikmyarse is totally right in everything he says ...
Do you know why , ek A/C are shiny ?
Because there is a cleaning team of poor guys who should be paid around 2000 aed a month to come and clean the A/C anytime they are called by an Engineer ...
oh , i forget to say , these guys do not even know about the liquid they are using ... but they are happy of having a job there.
BadBigbusBoy ecoute attentivement ce que smy dit , ne commet pas la meme erreur que nous ...
Salut.

BadBigbusBoy
5th May 2010, 00:37
I don't feel myself that import at all to be honest, so not sure where the myselfness comes in.
Just asked for some info, and the answer was not in my favour unfortunately. Mentioning the no-bond in the other airlines was a statement, not a judgement. I wasn't slagging 'shiny' EK off. (there are enough others who do ;))
Next time I will leave my personal situation out though.

Thanks for your answers. Enjoy your career ! :ok:

Saltaire
5th May 2010, 15:09
Touting a civilized job at Ezy jet? :ugh: No thanks.