PDA

View Full Version : Potential ASIC Replacement??

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd May 2010, 08:31
Would the following Canadian Licence change make ASICs redundo??

They contain a swipeable security strip, and photo id........

From AvWeb today, (Mon 3/5/10)
" Canadian Pilot License Deadline Looming

About 30 percent of Canadian pilots haven't applied for a new style of license that becomes mandatory June 30. Transport Canada officials speaking at Canadian Aviation Expo in Hamilton, Ontario, are urging pilots to get their paperwork in as soon as possible to help the agency process the almost 18,000 outstanding renewals as smoothly as possible. Those who meet the June 30th deadline will get a 90-day temporary license while their new passport-style document is being prepared. However, those who miss the deadline will be without a valid license until their new one is ready as the old-style paper licenses will become invalid on July 1 and no temporary licenses will be issued after June 30.

The new licenses meet ICAO standards with a swipeable security strip on the bottom of the main page and room inside for all the ratings and endorsements that also have security features. Transport Canada officials remind pilots and others with aviation certificates to be careful and follow all the directions on the application form as improperly submitted forms are sent back. Official passport photos are also required for the application."

A good idea??

The Green Goblin
3rd May 2010, 08:46
Nope, CASA will charge you $200 for that and still keep the ASIC card in place as there are many aviation workers other than Pilots.

I wish the Pilots Licence was a D/L style card that you could keep in your wallet. That is what they should be aiming for.

desert goat
3rd May 2010, 08:59
Wish we could take a leaf out of the FAA's book- a simple credit-card sized license, no stupid fees, and no ASIC's or other bureucratic bullsh!t.....

Freewheel
3rd May 2010, 09:10
.....and there was I expecting a microchip in the back of the neck......

Joker 10
3rd May 2010, 12:18
Don't be silly this is Australia, we need a strict liability offence for not knowing who you are, Canuck sense won't do here.

chimbu warrior
3rd May 2010, 12:28
After a six million dollar inquiry, involving many CASA "experts" traveling the world to determine the planet's "best practice", the next version of the CASA licence will be printed on A4 size paper, and contained in a binder made from recycled car tyres.

An additional binder will be required for each and every endorsement.

ASIC cards will be outsourced to a provider in Turkmenistan, will cost $700 each (plus GST), and remain valid for 14 days.

Announcing these changes today, a CASA spokesman stated that these changes had been introduced after extensive consultation with industry, although he did admit that the consultative meeting was not well attended. Responding to criticism that the scheduling of this meeting (held at McMurdo on a Wednesday evening), was not convenient to industry, the spokesman denied that the primary purpose was to maximise CASA officials travel allowance claims. :*

MyNameIsIs
3rd May 2010, 13:47
It would work, but at a cost.

We would get charged for the 'security' side of things like we do now, so the normal ASIC type fee.
Plus, we would HAVE to pay the 'license reprint' fee every time which I have dodged for the last 2 years because its a bull**** fee. $25 for a piece of paper? Get fk'd.

And then being a new system it will be twice the price. Then after much outcry they will realise the mistake, the price will be reduced and the poor buggers that copped the original full price will not be reimbursed the difference- just like the medical processing fee.

Lookin forward to shelling out more pointless dollars.
:ok:

compressor stall
3rd May 2010, 15:23
What's wrong with McMurdo on Wednesdays? :8

OpsNormal
4th May 2010, 00:47
Stallie, the rumours abound about your local.... :ok:

Wish we could take a leaf out of the FAA's book- a simple credit-card sized license, no stupid fees, and no ASIC's or other bureucratic bullsh!t.....

Desert. The (then) CAA (actually thinking back it may have been the first incarnation of the current CASA) tried that back in the mid 90's. It was deemed far too sensible for Australia at the time and had to be quickly abolished, going back to a previous (however different) incarnation of the book style to licence.

Keep dreaming about that perfect world where all you would need is a photo ID with a swipe/chip technology on a single card. Oh well, I still remember my last paper drivers licence back in that late 80's, how far has that type of tech come along since then.... Shhhhh, nobody tell CASA it isn't still 1955..... :E

Regards,

OpsN;)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th May 2010, 01:03
Well Stallie,

I guess you can always get a cold tinnie there.......

And not necessarily just on Wed's......:ok:

Joker 10
4th May 2010, 03:04
I still have my CASA credit card plastic license, works a treat, sits next to my FAA license in my wallet, still valid never revoked.

YPJT
4th May 2010, 05:18
What is really a shame is the fact that many of the good ideas only get discussed here anonymously on a PPRuNe.

If some actually bothered to seriously and constructively lobby the appropriate departments then change could be on the agenda. In the absence of that input, the OTS goes on their merry way drafting legislation for the secretary to present to the minister. The result is - we end up with a crap system because no one spoke up.

I speak with some authority here when I say that ASICs are well and truly here to stay for the foreseeable. The only changes in the wind are the transportablility of the security clearance if you change employers and full two year validity from date of security clearance. A shame they couldn't push through those changes as quick as they did allowing the carriage of knitting needles and cork screws on board. :ugh:

Green Goblin, don't blame CASA for the ASIC shortcomings. They, like about 150 other organisations around the country, are merely issuing bodies. They unfortunately have earned the reputation at being the most inept at it. Perhaps because they never wanted to do it in the first place but it was thrust upon them by the minister to look after the GA and other aviation sectors not covered by major airlines or airports.

sms777
4th May 2010, 08:44
I still have my CASA creditcard style licence in my wallet too. It sits next to my drivers license and impresses the hell out of the cops when i am asked for my license at RBT's
:)

kingRB
4th May 2010, 09:37
I still have my CASA creditcard style licence in my wallet too.

Me too, however mine is probably 12 years old now, is almost cracked in half and the ink is smearing on it :(