PDA

View Full Version : Do gooders strike again

B.U.D.G.I.E
3rd May 2010, 08:24
What are they going to try and ban next.

BBC News - Heli-skiers cause flurry in Alps (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8657626.stm)

Capetonian
3rd May 2010, 08:41
Cooking because it causes global warming, so we'll all have to eat raw fruit and veg.

That creates - err - gas, which is global warming, so that's out.

So we'll have to stop eating. Then we'll die. Solution? No, decomposing bodies cause gas, and that's global warming.

There's no end to it, is there!

GoodGrief
3rd May 2010, 08:51
Living in europe is just not fun anymore.

B.U.D.G.I.E
3rd May 2010, 12:08
it's all crap cause every one knows that the biggest producer of the gases that kill the O zone are COWS. There gonna kill us all

Nubian
3rd May 2010, 13:06
How about a ban of "tree-huggers" and idiotic know-it-alls to voice their opinion, period!

Now, where's my next group for the 3-peak package.....:ok:

pd2
3rd May 2010, 23:46
and the reason the ground crewman needs to stand under the main rotor disk during the landing phase is....

nuthin
3rd May 2010, 23:57
you will always be welcome in Canada

jimjim1
4th May 2010, 01:08
Obviously, interests on this discussion group will be likely to be pro-helicopter - however, I feel that there is a place for wilderness areas that are not mechanically accessible. I have always assumed that this is the reason that heli-skiing is not permitted in France (and it seems from the article Germany too).

There is a similar restriction in Scotland on Cairngorm. People using the mountain railway are not permitted to leave the top station other than to ski. No skis (or of course insufficient snow) no exit. If you want to explore the cairngorm plateau outside the top station you have to walk up. I understand that the reason for this restriction is to reduce the damage to the delicate life on the plateau. One day, perhaps access will be even further restricted.

As noted by poster "nuthin" Canada has plenty of wilderness that is not threatened by damage from human activity, so if you fancy a bit of heli-skiing that would be a place to consider.

The population density of Canada is 3.41 persons per square kilometre and Switzerland has 55 times that at 188 persons per square kilometre. By comparison England is 395 persons per square kilometre (probably not counting the million or so illegals).

The poulation density of Europe is 70 persons per square kilometre. That is everything west of the Urals - includes part of Russia, all of Ukraine.

All figures from wikipedia.org.

Trans Lift
4th May 2010, 02:48
We'll see the tree-huggers change their mind when they need to be rescued after the trees that they were hugging fall on top of them.

Skittles
4th May 2010, 02:57
It is funny to see people parody the interests of 'tree-huggers.'

We need to stop eating? Kill all cows? Halt all rescue missions which involves helicopters?

We all know that rescuing injured and endangered people via airlift is just as much of a disposable luxury as going for a ski holiday in the alps.

If you don't agree with the tree huggers then at least come up with something better than that crap.

Alcohol is legal? Well alcohol is a drug and can kill people. How about we legalise ecstacy, heroin, cocaine, guns, bomb shops, people running down the road swinging a sword, drink driving, drink flying....

B.U.D.G.I.E
4th May 2010, 07:56
If you don't agree with the tree huggers then at least come up with something better than that crap.

says the tree hugger.

We all know that rescuing injured and endangered people via airlift is just as much of a disposable luxury as going for a ski holiday in the alps.

You maybe need to rethink that comment. So how do you save people trapped on the side of a mountain???? How do you rescue some one from a boat miles from the coast???? How do you transfer a patient with a spinal injury safely???

Shall we just hug a tree and pretend it will be fine....:ugh:

Skittles
4th May 2010, 08:28
define:sarcasm - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3Asarcasm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

"Said the tree hugger?" Are you 5 years old? Mind you, it is in line with the quality of your previous posts.

I point out that suggesting we stop eating in order to reduce CO2 emissions isn't a particularly solid argument, and I'm branded a tree hugger.

B.U.D.G.I.E
4th May 2010, 16:51
I point out that suggesting we stop eating in order to reduce CO2 emissions isn't a particularly solid argument, and I'm branded a tree hugger.

Are you reading a different post to the rest of us???????

heli-cal
5th May 2010, 11:49
and the reason the ground crewman needs to stand under the main rotor disk during the landing phase is....

That was my first thought too.

Nubian
6th May 2010, 17:33
and the reason the ground crewman needs to stand under the main rotor disk during the landing phase is.... ....to hold down the skis/poles/etc from flying off by themselfs rather than being loaded safely once the machine is on the ground. :ok:

Cheers,

nigelh
6th May 2010, 18:02
If there are bags , skis etc on the ground it is normal to right next to them with someone on ground holding them down . This can often be safer than carrying to the helicopter from outside the disc . Not strictly necessary on the home pad admittedly but they tend to stick to these procedures and it seems to work for them . The pilots i fly with in Canada have it pretty well sorted :ok:

newfieboy
6th May 2010, 20:04
Nigelh :ok: