PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter from fixed wing

Trojan1981
3rd May 2010, 01:30
:)
I just started helicopter lessons this week:ok:. Going to PPL(H) only, but completing the CPL(H) exams. I already hold a CPL(A) and have a fair amount of experience as an Aircrewman in the military, but nothing could have prepared me for the experience of flying a helicopter myself.

I expected it to be very hard, and I have heard that fixed wing pilots often have trouble transitioning. So I studied the theory, watched the intro videos and practiced the co-ordinating actions (raise collective, left pedal etc.) to gain as much knowledge as I could before I started.

It was awesome! I HAVE THE BUG!

Just listening to what the instructor told me and understanding the theory, I picked it up quickly. I hovered, full control, in my first lesson- no bulls:mad:t. It wasn't pretty, but it was reasonably stable and I had full control. The flight controls in an R22 seem a little more sensitive than those in a Pitts Special.
Fixed wing pilots don't know what they are missing out on. Those of you who do this for a living (except those who get shot at) are very, very fortunate:ok:.

parabellum
3rd May 2010, 05:46
Wait until one pitch black night when it is blowing a gale of 80kts in heavy rain and you are called out to go to a rig that is in danger of tipping over and has to be evacuated, I'll be interested to see if you consider yourself 'fortunate' then!;)

rumline
3rd May 2010, 06:16
Well...I've been doing offshore for the better part of 15yrs now and after going back and forth....forth and back...back and forth....
I live for nights like that! :ok:

Trojan1981
3rd May 2010, 23:20
Parabellum
I wish, but I doubt I will ever fly helos for a living. I like challenging flying, which is why I have started learning helicopters. Something new to learn and enjoy. I'm loving it:ok:

Rumline
How is the S-76 to fly? When you progress to an aircraft with AFCS, are most of the secondary effects of control damped out?

cTcPilot
3rd May 2010, 23:36
The best thing I love about my job as an airline pilot, is that, on my days off I can afford to fly the Fling Wing and I love EVERY minute of it! :)