PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Boston Crash 418 Sq. RCAF May 03 1942 help

Terrymccully
2nd May 2010, 01:08
Hi everyone.. Im just new to the forum here as I signed up because I need some help from anyone that can. My Great Uncle, Sergeant Robert Earl Williams, died in a Douglas Boston MkIII (intruder configuration) crash on take off from West Malling, UK. This was on May 03 1942. He served with the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) No. 418(I) Squadron. I cant seem to find any info of this crash other then a simple plane record that lists that the crash was the result of undercarriage failure on take off from West Malling UK. 3 Crew and one bystander were killed when its bomb load exploded. The Plane number was 8340 if that helps out as well. I would think that there was some info on this or one of the members here would have heard this story. Im sure it must have made the local paper for the area. Would any of you know anything more about this or have any photos or anything of that nature? Feel free to email me at my personal email [email protected] Earl was my Grandmothers brother and all she can remember about the story was something about the wheel falling off during takeoff. Earl was what she called a wireless gunner. Also could one of you fill me in on what the "intruder Configutation" means? Thanks so much for your help guys.

forget
2nd May 2010, 10:11
Explanation here on 'intruder'.

Intruders I - in the Douglas Boston (http://www.418squadron.ca/intrude.html)

T-21
4th May 2010, 06:33
Serial would have been W8340. The RAF Museum at Hendon should have the accident card for this incident. 418 Squadron codes were TH.