PDA

View Full Version : FAA wearing wings on shirts.woolly pully's etc

Matt E Lowe
1st May 2010, 13:56
I heard a disturbing rumour the other day that we in the FAA will be wearing metal wings on our shirts and embroidered wings on woolly pully's like the crabs soon. Can anyone shed any light?

alfred_the_great
1st May 2010, 14:58
A strange question for a first post, but anyway...

If you contact your Fighting Arm's WO1 then you'll get your answer. It might surprise you.

gijoe
1st May 2010, 18:11
The fight for survival in the face of an SDR begins...

tarantonight
1st May 2010, 21:08
Is that bad? Surely one must be proud....................................

TN

matelo99
1st May 2010, 21:13
It's to do with the fact that the fishheads want some "Branch" Identity. They are getting a badge as are the submariners and the Fleet Air Arm are getting a branch badge. At the moment it is shaping up to be a set of pilot wings worn by the entire fleet air arm on their jackets above medals, on shirts above left breast pocket. To be honest I couldn't think of anything worse.

tarantonight
1st May 2010, 22:00
Are they not currently worn on tunics, woolies? The USN wear them on shirts I think, is it not a badge of honour..............take your point though. Whatever your trade/profession, it should be recognised.

TN

airborne_artist
1st May 2010, 22:08
Are they not currently worn on tunics, woolies?

Pusser's aviators do not wear them on wooly-pullies/shirt-sleeve order, on their jim-jams, on their cabbage kit etc. Just on No. 1s.

tarantonight
1st May 2010, 22:36
AA,

Clearly more in the know than I. Are there many of them left??

TN

Senior Pilot
1st May 2010, 22:43
Just on No. 1s

No 5's, old chap ;) (and mess kit, etc)

"Wings on my Sleeve" is a particular peculiarity that should be allowed to continue, IMO. The RAN FAA made noises many moons ago about wanting wings on their summer rig and finished up losing the wings on their sleeves as a result, having to wear tin badges on everything :uhoh:

I'm fairly sure that there was a thread about this only last year?

TEEEJ
1st May 2010, 23:23
Thread from 15th January 2010

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/402174-faa-pilot-wings-everyone.html

TJ

Double Zero
2nd May 2010, 04:29
To hell with them, just get ' FLY NAVY tattoed on your forehead, might need to leave space for the same in mirror image.

I could put you on to a good graphics company who could probably supply similar things to affix to aircraft :E

My Father happens to have been a crew-chief, WWII Seafires to Sea Harrier FRS2's ( as then ) & GR5's, 897sqn mainly.

History keeps repeating itself, let's hope it doesn't take a similar military kick up the arse to reinstitute the FAA proper next time...

airborne_artist
2nd May 2010, 08:10
No 5's, old chap http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif (and mess kit, etc)

Senior Pilot - times change, and so have officers' uniform designators - link (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/uniforms-and-badges-of-rank/blue-uniforms-of-the-royal-navy/)

What you and I called No. 5 is now No. 1

longer ron
2nd May 2010, 08:50
I think it will suit them...make them look even more Gay LOL

Senior Pilot
2nd May 2010, 08:51
AA,

Oops :oh:

Willard Whyte
2nd May 2010, 08:53
It was only by post 5 it became apparent that the title did not refer to the Federal Aviation Authority.

Hummingfrog
2nd May 2010, 08:58
I find that this discrimination in the Navy dreadful. If the guys want to wear skirts, as part of their No 1s, then they should be able to. ;)

"Female personnel may wear skirts except when carrying
a sword/rifle." (from Blue Uniforms of the Royal Navy)

HF

oldpinger
2nd May 2010, 11:05
The Aussie navy have had them for years and we're not that gay.......:ok:

Gainesy
2nd May 2010, 11:19
Hmm, that statement indicates a degree of gayness.:suspect:

Old-Duffer
2nd May 2010, 11:27
"Female personnel may wear skirts except when carrying
a sword/rifle." (from Blue Uniforms of the Royal Navy)

Station Standing Orders for RAF Stanbridge circa 1990.

ORDERS FOR PERSONNEL IN ARREST/DEDENTION:

....... Female personnel are to follow the same routine as male personnel except that they need not shave.........

The guy who drafted that, subsequently had to be rescued after he wandered into an Argie minefield whilst on detachment 'down south'. He was such a strange cove, I would have left him there!!

4Greens
2nd May 2010, 21:05
In my youth in the sixties we used to wear the wings on the left breast in tropical full uniform.

vecvechookattack
2nd May 2010, 21:30
FAA will be wearing metal wings on our shirts and embroidered wings on woolly pully's

Which is lucky as no one in the FAA wears a shirt or a wooly pully....we all wear our Flying Overalls.... I'm not sure where my Wolly Pully is and I think my white shirts may be in the attic....

No WAFU's wear shirts and wooly pullys

Saint Jack
3rd May 2010, 02:26
"It was only by post 5 it became apparent that the title did not refer to the Federal Aviation Authority."

And it got this far before someone pointed out to Willard Whyte that the initials 'FAA' also stand for the Federal Aviation Administration. Don't worry Willard, it's a surprisingly common mistake.

Old-Duffer
3rd May 2010, 05:34
........... it's actually The Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force - NOT - the Royal Navy.

I have often wondered why, given its origins, the navy prefer: Fleet Air Arm to Royal Naval Air Service. Someone will enlghten me.

Anyway, as a crab I have the highest regard for those in naval aviation and happy memories of working with 845 & 848 in 'Rusty B' and Albion during Confrontation.

bast0n
3rd May 2010, 08:42
Old Duffer

it's actually The Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Air Force - NOT - the Royal Navy

On 24 May 1939 the Fleet Air Arm was returned to Admiralty control

so you are not quite correct. A visit to the FAA museum may be efficacious in putting you straight!

I wonder if we met in 848 in Albion/Bulwark..............................

As for wings on everybody/everything see my posts on the original thread, FAA Pilot Wings for Everyone, for which - so far - I have not been prosecuted!

Old-Duffer
3rd May 2010, 08:55
............ on my part.

bastOn, my apologies. I should have been more precise. The Fleet Air Arm was an RAF 'creation' in about 1923(?) and what surprised me was that the RN didn't revert to RNAS after they had reclaimed their naval aviation arm.

bast0n
3rd May 2010, 09:17
Old Duffer

Sloppy Post..........

............ on my part.

Accepted! You young chaps should know better........................!!

All the best, D

Saint Jack
3rd May 2010, 10:32
bastOn, Old-Duffer: It sounds like our paths may have crossed, I was at RAF Khormaksar, Aden when the Belvederes of 26 Sqdn were shipped off to Singapore to join those of 66 Sqdn at Seletar and Labuan. They were sent eastward on either the Albion or the Bulwark, I can't remember which. As an interim measure at Khormaksar, the Wessex's of 848 NAS arrived to fill the gap. I don't know how long they stayed as I left for Singapore shortly after their arrival to join 66 Sqdn. This would be in late 1965.

Then in early '66 we, i.e. 66 Sqdn, were taking part in Exercise Sharp Kukri on the east coast of penninsula Malaya (to the best of my knowledge, it hadn't yet become 'Malaysia') when lo and behold who turns up - our old friends 848 NAS who had had shipped out from Aden on the Albion or Bulwark (not the one which had shipped the Belvederes).

The RAF personnel were amazed at how 848 could move around with, seemingly, so little support equipment and a Haflinger hanging from the lead helicopter.

orgASMic
4th May 2010, 08:56
"No WAFU's wear shirts and wooly pullys"

Except all those at JHC HQ!

I do love a good generalisation.

skippedonce
4th May 2010, 20:36
OD,

Not certain, but I suspect the reason for the FAA vice the RNAS has to do with the merger of the latter with the RFC to form the RAF in 1918. The same question could be asked of the pongos: why AAC rather than RFC?

Also, could have casued much hand-wringing over sqn numberplates, seniority and battle honours: for example a 'new RNAS 1 Sqn' would be trying to take over 201 Sqn RAF (ex-1 Sqn RNAS) heritage.

Cheers,

SO

ricardian
5th May 2010, 20:30
In my youth in the sixties we used to wear the wings on the left breast in tropical full uniform.
It was in the early 1960s that the tropical bush jacket for airmen was replaced by the KD shirt, a bad move. The bush jacket had stripes and RAF shoulder flash in red and looked very smart, espeically when starched & ironed. The KD shirt was just that - a shirt which was tucked into your shorts or longs, no shoulder flash and stripes of plain white tape. No matter how hard you tried the KD shirt made you look like a bag of sh1te tied in the middle.

Willard Whyte
8th May 2010, 14:04
And it got this far before someone pointed out to Willard Whyte that the initials 'FAA' also stand for the Federal Aviation Administration. Don't worry Willard, it's a surprisingly common mistake.

Don't worry, I don't give a stuff.

goudie
8th May 2010, 14:21
tropical bush jacket for airmen
Did airwomen have a bush, tropical jacket, for the use off?:E