PDA

View Full Version : Sanna RNAV procedures

Gulfstreamaviator
30th Apr 2010, 14:21
I hear that there are RNAV approaches available for both ends of the Sanna runway.

Are these just for local operators, or published procedures.?

I would appreciate a copy of them, for pre study prior to a trip next month.

Thanks guys, PM if required.

glf

bob.sakamano
2nd May 2010, 00:20
The only approaches I'm aware of are ILS 18 and VOR DME-A 36. I've landed in OYSN over a hundred times and 90% of the time 36 is in use. I would study the VORDME-A.

In June, visibility is very poor and thunderstorms develop after 1 p.m. Windshear on short final is common and the wind direction can vary 180 degrees between the threshold and midway down the runway.

If you follow the full approach procedure and adhere to all of the stepdowns before transitioning to visual, you'll be very high. It's difficult to get stabilized and you'll have to circle, which is very challenging with the terrain. If you can get visual contact, descend as early as possible as the thermals can make the final 3-4 miles difficult.

Good luck! Sana'a isn't for the weak hearted during the summer months.

EK380
2nd May 2010, 07:02
We (EK) are flying RNAV approaches on 36 and 18 into OYSN, however operator approval is needed before flying them.

If you are a private or cooperate operator you'll have to stick to the ILS18 (if it works) and the VORDME approach on 36.

Hope this helps

Gulfstreamaviator
2nd May 2010, 09:10
Looking at Google Earth, there looks like 3 DC3 shells parked up there too.......I assume that these are not available to get up close and check out.....

But I suspect with the current troubles, we will not stay long enough to check them out.

Many thanks for the input, and hope to get there soon.

glf

bob.sakamano
2nd May 2010, 20:02
The DC-3, are North of the Yemenia Hangar just east of the parllel taxiway. They are not in the military area, so I'm not sure if you'd get harassed for going near them or not.

I poked around over there once, but had a local ID badge.

There are a lot of military ops out of OYSN and they are really sensitive about stuff. It always seems that the more inept the local military, the bigger the deal they make about "national security". So if you take any photos, be discreet or at best some Yemeni with a nice duct taped AK-47 will take your camera. At worst, you'll spend a few days in some nasty holding cell until you can come up with some Riyals as penance for your transgression.

You'll see a lot of craptastic aircraft in Sana'a such as the frighteningly UGLY Kasparov dual helix helicopter, state of the art (1966, that is) SU-23 fighters oh and let's not forget the Presidental 747-SP. Yeah, the President of Yemen need his own ultra long range 747 just in case of a nuclear attack or invasion of Yemen...because every country covets all that Yemen has to offer.

Last year, I saw an IL-76 do a hard landing on 36 that completely destoyed the starboard landing gear. It was hilarious watching them try to taxi it. The wings were bouncing so bad it looked like an albabtross flapping its wings. The SU-23's regulary blow tires on landing and I know they've lost at least 3 of them in the last year.

There's also an old Saudi registered 747 that ws just abandoned on the ramp. Apparetly, it is now a feral cat ranch.

Oh and speaking of abandoned, if you look across the ramp to the west, you'll see the new airport terminal. One day, work just stopped on it.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to take a look at those DC-3's, make sure to take a mask with you. The Sana's wastewater plant is on the other side of the fence. The smell is putrid enough to make your eyes water.

Sana'a - "Where every day feels like a month"