PDA

View Full Version : Airline Recruitment - Too Old for a fair go??

Barramundi
30th Apr 2010, 11:08
I have watched closely the airline recruitment going on for some months now.

My observation is Pilots of all ages and experience levels are being picked for interview's which is a refreshing change but I have heard that virtually no applicants over 45-50 who, having gone through the interview process have actually landed a job.

One would have to wonder if the interview was genuine or merely done to keep the statistics looking good?.

Any suggestions or theories?.

Di_Vosh
30th Apr 2010, 11:56
Barramundi, sounds like you're on a fishing trip (pardon the pun) :\

Some very vague observations here, followed up with allegations and asking others for theories.

Just asking: How do you know how many 45+ year olds get into "The airlines"?
And what makes you think that their age is the reason that they didn't get in?

"The airlines" covers a lot of companies.

I know that Qlink have employed people at age 42, 43, and 45.
I know that J* have employed people over 42 years old.

DIVOSH!

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Apr 2010, 12:11
Barramundi, sounds like you're on a fishing trip (pardon the pun)

There are no barramundi in NSW anyway!

Dr :8

Di_Vosh
30th Apr 2010, 12:20
LOL! :}

a few more letters so that I can post

neville_nobody
1st May 2010, 01:10
I have heard that virtually no applicants over 45-50 who, having gone through the interview process have actually landed a job

I'll bet V Australia's has hired a heap of guys in that age bracket so that would kinda blow up your theory right there.

3 Holer
1st May 2010, 04:58
..............wei ying swears it's real

So does Hong Foo and he tells me he imports his from Tasmania.:=

Goat Whisperer
1st May 2010, 05:09
VB takes plenty of FOs in all age brackets, even above 50. A few from FJ, Rex and the RAAF look a little grey around the edges. Good blokes all.

JulieFlyGal
1st May 2010, 06:02
I saw an elderly VB first officer at Canberra who looked very much like Father Christmas with his white beard and grey hair. I reckon he could have passed as the Captain's grandfather. :ok:

frigatebird
1st May 2010, 08:28
Julie
Put a bit of dark colour in the hair a couple of times when having a trim, a couple of years ago, so as not to scare the kids and the girls I flew with.. but gave it away then - as I decided they were too set in their ways, and prejudiced about working with older crew anyway..