PDA

View Full Version : Instructing with lapsed ATPL credits.

covec
29th Apr 2010, 18:21
Good evening.

I am considering letting my SPAMEIR lapse as the thought of "going professional" re instructing is growing:PPL/Night/IMC stuff "only".

Maybe even examine one day!

Please could someone tell me if my JAR CPL will still remain valid if I do let the IR lapse beyond 7 years as I sat the ATPL and not the CPL exams - and therefore still instruct for remuneration as I am doing now??

Regards to you all - have a good Bank Holiday.

MIKECR
29th Apr 2010, 18:31
I think im right in saying your CPL will remain valid however if the IR lapses beyond 7 years, then to renew the IR, you would need to either re-do the ATPL exams or sit the IR exams. The CPL should be fine though. That was certainly my understanding of it a few years ago......I might be wrong though! Maybe have a read of lasors??

DFC
29th Apr 2010, 19:52
Your CPL will remain valid.

Why not renew the IR in a single engine. Not very expensive and if your are expecting to be teaching instrument flying then should be a piece of cake.

covec
29th Apr 2010, 20:16
Thank you for the replies.

I couldn't see anything in LASORS about deliberately letting your ATPL credits lapse but continuing to utilise your CPL. The IR bit I was aware of.

Thanks again.

Whopity
30th Apr 2010, 22:55
If you have a UK issued JAA licence and let your IR lapse by more than 5 years you have to complete the test with a CAA FE (A UK only requirement) after 7 years the IR exams have to be retaken; so it is probably as well to use 5 years as the cut off point for revalidation.LASORS E1.5Where an Instrument Rating has expired by more than 5 years but less than 7 years and IR privileges have not been exercised in any other category of aircraft (eg helicopters) or under the privileges of an ICAO licence, an IR Proficiency Check with a CAA Staff Flight Examiner (for single-pilot aircraft) or a Flight Operations Inspector (for multi-pilot aircraft) will be required.