PDA

View Full Version : EBG Helicopters use CAA G-INFO website to source business

SECRET SERVICE
29th Apr 2010, 14:51
Apparantly employees at EBG Helicopters aka DNH Helicopters based at Redhill Aerodrome, Surrey, have been causing a few waves with rival PART145 maintenance organisations also based at the airfield.

I was informed that EBG staff used the Civil Aviation Authority G-INFO website, which is information in the public domain, to source potential owners/addresses of rotary craft to seek their custom for maintenance at a further discount.

The reason for this thread is to get a feel from the Pprune community to decifer whether this is good business practise, or not?

Is this using ones initiative to ply for custom and if so, has this been done prior? Or is this a case of a company being unprofessional and not being able to source their own business due to poor past service, performance, reputation, etc...

SS

bolkow
29th Apr 2010, 14:55
good luck with that quest, bit of a hot potatoe methinks.

SECRET SERVICE
29th Apr 2010, 14:59
I know - I aquiesse!

Whirlygig
29th Apr 2010, 15:07
Can't actually see anything wrong with that. It's marketing, that's all.

Cheers

Whirls

flap flap flap
29th Apr 2010, 15:35
Has someone an axe to grind? Why mention EBG by name?

No different from getting the phone book and cold-calling people. Perfectly legal.

HillerBee
29th Apr 2010, 15:59
Nothing wrong with that, and at least they're trying to drum up new business.:ok:

firebird_uk
29th Apr 2010, 17:23
I've always wondered why G-INFO is public, but car number plates etc aren't?

As an owner it exposes (potentially) your personal details for no obvious benefit to "the general public".

I also feel that if people want to use the database for marketing they should have to pair a fair price for it. Clearly this area of the CAA is not run by Personnel Licensing or that would already be the case. :}

Flingingwings
29th Apr 2010, 17:33
FB UK,

You can get car/bike ownership details from DVLA, just they charge a nominal fee for it :cool:

SS,
Which company bought which???
Always believed that aside from being at the same airfield EBG and DNH had different owners :confused:

Perhaps the EBG chaps simply have a better rapport with DNH than the other maintenance provider? Or maybe EBG get 'their' aircraft maintained at DNH already?

I'd imagine that it's more likely that EBG would be looking to manage any aircraft they can attract, and then possibly try to use them for training or charter (which might explain why the other maintenance provider isn't an option).

Agree with others, using G-INFO is hardly rocket science, and EBG wouldn't be the first or the last to ever do similar. :hmm:

Satcop
29th Apr 2010, 18:17
Flingingwings - EBG have "taken over" DNH and are now operating EBG Sales and Maintenance from Hangar 6.

niknak
29th Apr 2010, 19:18
We use GINFO to chase people who haven't paid their bills.

Invariably these bills are racked up by pilots who've "borrowed" the aircraft but there's nothing like an big red invoice to the registered owner to get what's owed (the success rate is quite high).