PDA

View Full Version : Class D Special VFR

Staticport
29th Apr 2010, 12:59
"When operating under a special VFR clearance, you are responsible for ensuring that:

1. The flight is conducted clear of cloud
2. The visibility is not less than 1600 metres for fixed wing aircraft" :ouch:

I have a class one medical and struggle to see much at around 5 km visibilty. I know that these are "special" procedures, but is it possible to fly safely, visually, with such low visibility

Isn't this lower than the NDB visibilty minima :bored:

I have read this again and again, feel free to correct me

PPRuNeUser0163
29th Apr 2010, 13:07
edited wrong post

Lasiorhinus
29th Apr 2010, 14:00
AIP ENR 1.2 - 1
1.2.2 When operating under a Special VFR clearance, pilots are responsible for ensuring that:
a. The flight is conducted clear of cloud;
b. The visibility is not less than:
(1) for aeroplanes, 3,000M;

Staticport, where did you get your figure of 1600m from?

Another Number
29th Apr 2010, 15:24
Staticport, where did you get your figure of 1600m from? I'm guessing the new-beaut Casa "Purple Booklet"...

So, no corrections required, eh? :eek:

2b2
29th Apr 2010, 22:16
New Class D - Coming soon - 1 month to go!

Did someone say pilot education? :)

Staticport
30th Apr 2010, 00:12
Yes I am aware of the current SVFR rules. The purple book and flight safety have both said 1600m. I hope it is a mistake

VH-XXX
30th Apr 2010, 00:18
Special VFR is close to my heart and I find myself having lengthy discussions with the tower when I try and get out under SVFR.

I haven't got the purple book on me, but it does say something about 1,600 metres in conjunction with low flying regs under CAR1XX ??

It would be fairly unusual to have visibility of 1,600 metres, but the cloud high enough to allow flight at 1,000 ft above built-up areas and I don't think "stress of weather" will cut it for a Class D Departure (arrival maybe).

So I think regardless of 1,600 metres or 3,000 metres it probably won't change much the way anyone would operate.

That being said 1,600 metres is pretty low and you'd not want to be going too fast if you're not instrument rated / experience and you inadvertantly end up in the soup.

Ted D Bear
30th Apr 2010, 02:50
My AIP amendments effective 3 June arrived today, and they amend the Special VFR visibility requirement in Class D to 1,600m - as per the purple book.

A good reason to stay IFR when things are marginal, methinks. :\ Indeed, since we will probably be doing an instrument approach in IMC in class C or G on the way in, its a bit hard to see how you can do otherwise. An IFR flight can only cancel IFR if VFR (not special VFR) is possible.

Be interesting to see how ATC will deal with an IFR arrival in those conditions if there is a circuit full of special VFRies, but I suspect it will have to be much as they deal with things now: everyone else on the ground until the IFR has landed.

Having read all the amendments that arrived in the mail this morning, it seems the idea is to make new D operate as closely as possible to GAAP.:ok: Again, be interesting to see how well that works in practice :confused:.

Ted

VH-XXX
30th Apr 2010, 03:46
In the real world at Moorabbin during Special VFR, circuits are not permitted and only SVFR arrivals and departures or IFR operations are permitted. When special VFR they only usually allow one aircraft at a time in the whole 7 NM radius of the GAAP.

I've once radio'ed the tower for a SVFR departure to be told that there would be a 30 minute wait due to the number of incoming aircraft.