PDA

View Full Version : Biggin Hill Gate Guard on the Move

ThreadBaron
28th Apr 2010, 11:44
Driving past Biggin Hill this morning and noticed large mechanicals in close attendance to the Gate Guards. Such activity required me to stop.

The model Spit had its right wing in a pair of slings and there was some heavy hammering coming from within the wing root with 3 or 4 workers below gazing in awe at such activity. Three pins later the wing was still not going to move despite manual and mechanical encouragement. Every encouragement seemed only to rock the whole model and the plinth.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/threadbaron/IMG_0356.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/threadbaron/IMG_0351.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/threadbaron/IMG_0354.jpg

I waited, hoping to see the wing detached, but it seemed to be defeating all attempts and it will be tomorrow soon enough.

Varying information gleaned. The haulage vehicle driver said it was going to Lincolnshire to a private buyer. One of the craneage contractors said it was going to the RAF in Lincolnshire.

As the haulage contractor's vehicle was from Newark, I think it safe to assume it is going to Lincolnshire, but apart from that what does anyone else know?

BEagle
28th Apr 2010, 13:20
Cheeeeeeeeeell Winston!

See BIGGIN HILL: Fundraising drive begins to replace rotting gate guardians (From News Shopper) (http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/4593858.BIGGIN_HILL__Fundraising_drive_begins_to_replace_rot ting_gate_guardians/)

It seems that the existing pair were rotting and replacements are (hopefully) being funded:

Donation cheques made payable to FoSGC can be sent to FoSGC, St Georges RAF Chapel of Remembrance, Main Road, Biggin Hill, TN16 3EJ

Maybe we should have a PPRuNe funding drive, with stickies on the 'History' and 'Military' sites? I know nothing more about Friends of St George's Chapel than one can elicit from Google, so I don't know how the funding issue stands at present.

pasir
28th Apr 2010, 14:06
Could be that the Spit and Hurricane model replicas are being removed for renovation - or replacement - as they have been looking rather tatty for some time now.

Likewise the RAF camp site comprising barracks, Hq Blocks, Sick quarters etc is looking most sad and neglected - having being allowed to
fall into a state of neglect over many years.

Although the entire site is shown as listed Grade II - the owner is
- one Bernie Ecclestein ! Hopefully this does not mean there is every danger of bulldozing and redevelopment !

talk_shy_tall_knight
28th Apr 2010, 14:11
Bernie keeps his private jet(s) there as well. I think it's a 146, all painted up in the F1 logo.

Cornerstone958
28th Apr 2010, 16:49
Although the entire site is shown as listed Grade II - the owner is
- one Bernie Ecclestein ! Hopefully this does not mean there is every danger of bulldozing and redevelopment
Spot on!
I have seen listed buildings fall into a state of disrepair and once it becomes too expensive to maintain planning permission is given to knock it all down and build Houses. I'll give it 5 years before it's all gone.
CS

peppermint_jam
28th Apr 2010, 17:29
There's an artists impression of the new memorial in the current RAF News, it looks impressive!

FOSGC
29th Apr 2010, 23:41
The Gate Guardians at St George's RAF Chapel of Remembrance at Biggin Hill are being replaced at a cost of £40,000 plus VAT. There is currently no known home for the Spitfire however the Hurricane is to be refurbished and sent to RAF Northolt.
The new models are due to be installed in early July 2010.
Anyone wishing to contribute to the cost of the new Gate Guardians should send their donation to the Friends of St George's Chapel at the Chapel address:
FoSGC Secretary, St George's RAF Chapel of Remembrance,
Main Road,Biggin Hill. Westerham. Kent TN16 3EJ

dropintheoggin
30th Apr 2010, 08:42
I think the artist's impression in the (diabolical) RAF News is of a memorial due to be constructed in Southampton not Biggin.

Of course I could be mistaken - by the location of the memorial, not about the RAF News being diabolical.

*Zwitter*
30th Apr 2010, 17:49
The Spitfire is apparently being given to the company moving the Hurricane as payment for the move.

pasir
6th May 2010, 18:57
Regarding Bernie Ecclesteins purchase of the RAF buildings at Biggin Hill and
what may be a deliberate policy of allowing the historical site to
become derelict - It is understood that owners of Grade 11 listed buildings
are under obligation by law to keep such property in goood maintenance and repair. If it is true that this historical site is being neglected then
surely the local council (Bromley) who presumably authorised the purchase -
are under obligation to take whatever action may be necesary to have the present owner comply.

Perhaps those with legal knowledge could clarify.

flyingcar
13th May 2010, 20:58
There is no specific duty on owners to keep listed buildings in a good state of repair but the Local Authority does have power to take action where an historic building has deteriorated to the extent that its preservation may be at risk - read roof about to fall in - literally!
If the Local Authority feel that a building is at risk of being lost (falling down), there are a number of courses of action they can pursue but the ultimate one if the owner refuses to do anything, is a compulsory purchase at the cost of the land only.

Normally they will do anything to avoid such a liability but will try to help with grants and advice, or by giving beneficial planning sweeteners. Sometimes the authorities themselves are far from blameless in letting listed buildings deteriorate.

SomeGuyOnTheDeck
13th May 2010, 21:41
Bernie Ecclestein
That is Ecclestone. Given some of his unfortunate comments (look him up on Wikipedia), and his association with Max Mosley (son of you-know-who), I think it might be worth getting his name right.

pasir
14th May 2010, 06:51
Lets hope its not true that owner Bernie E. is deliberately allowing the RAF historic buildings to fall into disrepair - but if so then the name
'Gate Guard' would need a rethink !

GGR
14th May 2010, 07:28
IMHO The Army are not bad at letting former RAF buildings fall into dreadful states of repair. Take RAF Upavon now populated by the boys in brown. This was one of the first RAF stations, rich in history and wonderful buildings. Hugh Trenchard had an office here!

I am aware that the Army lads are very busy elsewhere and that the decisions to do nothing are not taken at ground level.

GGR

Army Mover
14th May 2010, 08:09
IMHO The Army are not bad at letting former RAF buildings fall into dreadful states of repairUnfortunately, they tend to move us onto your sites as a cost saving; which is not normally associated with an enhanced budget to pay for the upkeep of the buildings. I don't think anybody sits there purposely neglecting the historic value these sites have to the RAF; just the priorities lie elsewhere.

One other point, my opinion based on my experience of working/living on both RAF and Army sites is that the RAF structures and system are geared up to support your stations; I can't say the same for the Army.

Landroger
14th May 2010, 21:08
Bernie keeps his private jet(s) there as well. I think it's a 146, all painted up in the F1 logo.

Is that the metallic grey one that parks outside the hangar nearest the main road, from time to time? I pass that way quite often and I've often wondered about a plain painted airliner.

Roger.

pasir
6th Sep 2010, 13:48
...... Further to hopes and assurances that the future of the RAF listed buildings at Biggin Hill are in safe keeping under the ownership of Bernie Ecclestein - An article in todays D.Mail (admittedly not always tops for accuracy) on p37 reports a dispute with local residents regarding Bernies plans for a property he has recently aquired in Knightsbridge - described as also in a 'conservation area' that will not not make encouraging reading for those unsure of Ecclesteins intentions for the future of the former RAF site.

Gainesy
6th Sep 2010, 15:28
Hmm, now that the Gate Guards are gone, I might nip up there and "rescue" the gates, quite nifty for keepin the Pikies out and v. smart to boot.

ThreadBaron
6th Sep 2010, 20:09
Ha ha! Now there you are wrong, young Gainesy. They wuz gone but now new models are now in their place. Passed there last week without even my phone so did not get pics. Nor did I think to mention it here. Dozy p*llock.:O Recititification in hand. Photographic evidence ASAINSTP.

I'll also check that the gates are not on their way to Soddin E Sussex. Might just check on the chapel as well! It'd do to keep logs in, wunnit, Mr G?

CounterSunk
10th Sep 2010, 19:18
There is currently no known home for the Spitfire however the Hurricane is to be refurbished and sent to RAF Northolt.

I visited Northolt yesterday and the Hurricane was being hoisted onto it's new plinth. I initially thought I had arrived at the wrong place as it is now unrecognisable from how it was when I last dropped by about 5 years ago. They have certainly been very busy with the CO's fund!