PDA

View Full Version : About navigation!

agus
28th Apr 2010, 11:04
Hi guys! Can anybody help to me with a question?

* How would you navigate out the range of a VOR or if all the VOR's and NDB's on route fail?

I suppose that I would work with the INS, like people who ride over the ocean!!! May be the GPS could be another option, but in this case GPS isn't recognised as a official navigation system yet.

What do you about it?

Thanks.

Agus.

411A
28th Apr 2010, 11:17
May be the GPS could be another option, but in this case GPS isn't recognised as a official navigation system yet.

It isn't?
How very odd, because...in 1997, I operated Lockheed L1011 aircraft with dual installed Honeywell HT9100 GPS units, that were fully approved for enroute and terminal primary navigation, in Europe, North America, South America, Africa, Asia and oceanic areas including the north Atlantic and north/central Pacific.
This approval has been in force continually, to this very day.

In addition, long before GPS was available, over oceanic areas especially, Doppler navigation was used, combined with astro nav for a positive position fix.
Used this mode of navigation in B707 equipment.

Busserday
28th Apr 2010, 18:24
Not to be flippant, but with the nav-aids you are using a map would be the best backup, time and heading (magnetic compass). I have flown many hours in the Canadian arctic with no ground based nav-aids and only unslaved gyroscopes, magnetic compass and my watch as the main nav-aids, some legs approaching 4hrs and have found that a good flight log with winds aloft will normally give you a very good result.

In the event of a simple VOR failure, maintain heading and keep track of the time. It is amazing how well that works if you are cognizant of your system's fallibilities. ie. gyro drift, earth rate, deviation of mag compass, changes in variation, etc. it should put you close to where you want to be.
BD

galaxy flyer
28th Apr 2010, 21:15
agus

I don't know where you got that information, but GPS is universally approved for navigation with the exception of non-WGS-84 areas. That is mostly Russia and PE 90.xx is very, very nearly the same thing. So, if the VORs go out, it might not even be noticed on my piece of kit.

GF

Oh, when the French used to shutdown the TACANs on Friday to prevent us Yanks from leaving Germany and going to Spain for the sun, the F-15's showed them--INS worked just fine to find all those waypoints.

lgw_warrior
29th Apr 2010, 08:57
agus,

GPS is approved for BRNAV (area nav) ops in most airspace,in fact its a requirment for most commercial operators as most routes these days consist of waypoints (points in space) rather than VOR to VOR navigation,although most of these waypoints are originally based on VOR/NDB radials etc it would be impractical to navigate this way in todays busy airspace,ie a direct to ABBOT waypoint,although it is actually based on a VOR (BKY) radial and distance it would be ridiculous to try and navigate to this point using VOR radials/cross cuts etc.

try and search for "GPS approved for BRNAV" in google

hope this helps.

agus
29th Apr 2010, 10:02
Thanks guys!!! I checked my info about navigation with GPS, I was pretty confused about it! Anyway thanks.

Busserday if I must be honest with you I envy you!!! I never have navigated just with compass and map, not for a long trip. I'm flying Airtractors in the Spanish Fire Department, and we need to arrive as soon as possible to the fires, so we fly with GPS allways!

Regards from Spain.!
Agus.