PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Airlines - THY Recruitment (Merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

169west
28th Apr 2010, 07:10
Turkish Airlines - THY is looking for a lots of pilots DEC/DEFO on both 737 and 777 ... anybody has any news about the recruitment process, sim assessment and all other good stuff!thanks

HighToLow
28th Apr 2010, 07:45
Does anyone know if they take on fresh fATPL-people straight out of flight training? I am a turkish citizen also but my turkish is not very good.

Joey Q
28th Apr 2010, 12:20
THY probably take turkish citizens with fATPL.... search around on Airliners.net im sure there are some turkish airlines pilots there that could help u out..

169west
28th Apr 2010, 13:29
... well apparently THY is looking for big numbers and I'm quite positive you do not need to have the citizenship to join the team. Definitely a full JAA ATP is recommended for DEC, not sure if for DEFO a JAA CPL + JAA frozen are enough!

Arabian Mustang
28th Apr 2010, 16:38
Ok.Here is the email from wasinc found on my dad's inbox.:}

WASINC International is pleased to announce immediate openings for qualified B737NG captains and first officers for Turkish Airlines to be based in Istanbul, Turkey. This position is contracted and managed by Pan Am International Flight Academy. Qualified applicants interested in pursuing this position are encouraged to complete their online application and you will be contacted directly by Pan Am International Flight Academy.
Pilots Needed for Turkish Airlines:
A320/B737NG:

Captains – 200 crewmembers
First Officers – 600 crewmembersMinimum Requirements:
B737NG Captain -

2000+ hours PIC on type
6000+ hours total time
4000+ hours in multi-crew, multi engine jet MTOW of 27 tonnes or greater
Current on type
Valid/current ATPL
Valid passport
Valid/current Class A (First Class) Medical
ATPL issued from an ICAO Contracted State
ICAO Level 5 English proficiency (Level 4 may be considered in the future)
Age limitation between 37 – 59 years old
No history of incidents or accidents
No criminal history B737 First Officer -

Frozen ATP
Bachelors Degree (four year university degree)
500+ hours on type
1500+ hours total time
1000+ hours in multi-crew, multi engine jet MTOW of 27 tonnes or greater
Current on type (Last flight must be within last 6 months)
Valid/current ATPL
Valid passport
Valid/current Class A (First Class) Medical
ATPL issued from an ICAO country
ICAO Level 5 English proficiency (Level 4 may be considered in the future). Other English endorsements also accepted.
Age limitation between 25-45 years old.
No history of incidents or accidents
No criminal historyDomicile: Istanbul, Turkey
Contract Term:
1 years, renewable (Captain)
3 years, renewable (First Officers)
Benefits:
B737NG Captain:

Salary
B737/A320 Captain: $10,121USD/month (gross) ($8,660 base + $1,431 quarterly bonus)
TRI/TRE: $1,359USD/month (gross)
Ground Training Instructor: $951USD/month (gross)
Bonus: Quarterly bonus of $4,293USD ($1,431/month)
Schedule will be 5 days ON / 2 days OFF or 6 days ON / 1 day OFFB777 First Officer:

Salary (Salary, Bonus, and Overtime rate is determined by your level of previous flight experience)
B737 First Officer: TL8,000 to TL10,000/month (gross) (about $5,395USD to $6,744USD)
Quarterly bonus of TL3,500 to TL4,200 (about $2360USD to $2832USD)Additional Benefits:

Standard health plan provided
Accommodation & Transportation at base will be provided
Overtime is time flown over 70 hours/month. Time flown on religious/national holidays and Sunday paid at same overtime rate.
Captain: $102/hr
First Officer: TL95 to TL114 (about $64USD to $76USD)
Annual Leave
One year of Duty – 18 work days
5 years to 15 years – 24 work days
More the 15 years – 30 work days
Other Leave
Paid casual leave up to 7 days
Paid marital leave for 8 days
Paid birth leave for 6 days
Paid death in family leave for 7 days
Pilot may be granted a non-paid leave up to 90 days in a year with written application
Employee Travel (for use by spouse or children):
After 1st year – One (1) ID00 and Two (2) ID90 domestic tickets
After 2nd year – One (1) additional ID00 international ticket (Middle East and Europe Only)
After 3rd year – One (1) additional ID00 domestic ticket
After 5th year – One (1) additional ID90 international ticket
After 10th year – Four (4) additional ID90 international ticketsAdditional Information:

To calculate Net pay: Approximately 95% of Gross salary is paid to the employee and 5% will go for local taxes.
Expat status may dramatically reduce your home country national tax liability. Consult your CPA for tax advice.
Interviews will be 15 days in length held in the USA. All travel and accommodation costs will be paid by Turkish Airlines.
You will need to be able to start your contract within 1 month of your interview.
Will they be able to find 600 FO's with the above minimums?:eek:

captplaystation
28th Apr 2010, 20:35
Guys, they have been looking for about 14-15 mths or more now.
Vacancy has been on their own website, and for the last 8mths or so has been advertised by EVERY agency in Europe & some even further afield (and that is no exaggeration). They recently changed from JAA to "any" licence.
Why ?
Search function is your friend, what is on offer is not all you would wish to expect from a "flag carrier".

NGFellow
29th Apr 2010, 03:18
Anyone have any experience flying for them and/or living in Turkey?

HighToLow
29th Apr 2010, 10:38
It seems to me that they have been looking and interviewing people for a long time now but I have not heard of anyone who have actually started working there yet. Does anyone know?

Will they really find 600 FOs with 4 years of university background?

HighToLow
29th Apr 2010, 13:39
Are they maybe out for a contract type of employment system such as Ryan? 600 FOs probably means that the current ones will have to leave...

cf680c2b
29th Apr 2010, 15:26
There is no way they are going to fill all those positions. Not with the current requirements they have. Type rating/time on time! I don't think so. they'll be competing against Korean, Vietnam, Air Arabia, FlyDubai, just to name a few. All of them with better terms and conditions.

The only chance they have is to pick up some of the more experienced furloughed guys from US and EU by dumping the more restrictive requirements and provide the training.

gipsy moth
29th Apr 2010, 21:41
When they send me the requirements I thought it was a joke!!! 4 years university no blocks of days off!! 1.500 hours on aircraft of more than 27 Tones with 500 on type, 3000 total!!:ugh:
Being so close of home without being able to go home!!
I hope these guys wake up, it would have been a great chance to go back to Europe

moondriver
29th Apr 2010, 21:53
I'm also interest in hearing from anyone who has been through the screening and testing process at Turkish Airlines in the last month or so.
I noted that there is a written exam, plus two days of sim checks. Just want to know what to study and what anyone's experiences have been.

dcsagcs
30th Apr 2010, 01:07
I would apprecciate some information about A320 roster pattern like kind of flights, how many days at home etc...
Tks in advance!

flamingmoe
30th Apr 2010, 07:28
Whats with the MINIMUM age requirement of 37 for the NG?? Never heard of that before.

Ahad Adump
30th Apr 2010, 07:30
Line Captain
Turkish Airlines will pay directly to the Captain each month a basic salary of (Turkish
Lira) TL17, 551.88 (approx €8,570 / USD 11,552) gross of Turkish taxes.
Instructors & Examiners
An additional allowance of TL2, 290.00 (approx € 1,118 / USD 1,507) gross of
Turkish taxes
Ground Training Instructors
An additional allowance of TL1, 603.00 (€783 / USD1,054) gross of Turkish taxes

A bonus amount of TL7, 140.00 (€3,485 / USD4,695) shall be payable in the months
of March / June / September / December each year on assignment.
A travel allowance of TL33.00 (€16 / USD21) per day will be applicable within
Turkey and TL50 (€24 / USD32) for Turkish Northern Republic and Cyprus. Travel
allowances for other destinations may vary and will be advised by Turkish Airlines.
If the Pilot flies in excess of 70 block hours in a given month they shall be entitled to
receive an additional overtime payment of TL154.03 (€75 / USD100) per hour.
An additional special hourly rate shall be applicable if the Pilot flies on Turkish
religious and national holidays or on Sundays.
To calculate Net Pay (i.e. after taxes), approximately 95% of gross salary is paid to
the Pilot.
Pilots will be entitled to 18 days annual leave for the first year of service, increasing
to 24 days annual leave for 5 years of service.
Turkish Airlines will provide accommodation and transport for the duration of the
assignment.
Alternatively an accommodation allowance of TL 2,000.00 (€976 / USD 1,316) will
be provided for rental of a property in Istanbul.
Turkish Airlines will schedule Pilots on a roster pattern 3 weeks on and one week off.
Loss of License Insurance will also be provided by Turkish Airlines in accordance
with the local company policy and procedures.
Minimum Requirements – B777 Line Captains:
Current B777 type rating endorsement
English Speaker. ICAO Standard 5 is required however 4 will be considered
JAA /ICAO/ FAA ATPL (A)
Must be a current Commander/Captain
Captains – 11, 000 hours total time. 1,000 hours Captain on type plus another 500 on
other Boeing wide body . 6,000 hours multi engine jet MTOW of 50 tonnes or greater
Age limit max. 60

169west
30th Apr 2010, 07:34
Is there any expat flying for THY that can really enlighten this smoky THY hiring requirement?

annibal
30th Apr 2010, 07:46
A320 Selection Process.
SIM ride :
- normal T/O , steep turns without FD bothin climb and descend.
radar vectors and raw data approach landing
_ 2° T/O eng out at V1 eng Out SID, meteo below minima, decision, radar vector ILS .
Single engine Go Around at minima and Visual circuit turning on base remaining engine fire land and emergency evacuation.

TECH EXAM:
ATPL questions mainly taken from ACE

INTERVIEW:
be ready to relocate in Istanbul and show you are enthusiastic and sure about it otherwise they won't select you, don't ask for commuting options.

NEWYEAR
30th Apr 2010, 08:32
Hi everybody, I was looking for applying in their website but vacancy are not over there.

Where are you applying for.?

:ok:

annibal
30th Apr 2010, 09:40
Try on Contractair, Parc Aviation, Sigma Aviation, Wynnwith and many other recruiting agencies.

dcsagcs
30th Apr 2010, 10:56
Hi, is anybody flying A320?
I would appreciate some information about A320 roster pattern like destinations, overnights, average days off etc...
Is there any house allowance for this fleet???
Tks a lot!:ok:

Nightrider
1st May 2010, 10:03
Ahad Adump thanks for these details, you do not even want to read the 737 offer.... which is not even close to what you mention here.

moondriver check your PM

flyboy734
1st May 2010, 16:50
Would greatly appreciate it if someone can PM me the contract details for F/O on the 737.

busbox
1st May 2010, 19:04
Are they really hiring or:

like i read here (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/389878-a320-captains-ad-turkish-airlines.html)
"candidates are being used as pawns in a political game between the airline, unions, and possibly the government"??

I am looking for an A320 FO job, if anyone has gone through the interview process I would really appreciate any info that might help. Did you get hired? How's the schedule on the A320 fleet? Read that the Ace is good for the tech test, is it true?

Thanks

strawberriesfield
2nd May 2010, 20:56
Considering they started interviewing back in Jan/Feb 2009 ! ! and seem to have done so constantly since then, & in addition advertised through every agency possible, isn't it just a little strange that NOBODY comes on here and tells us what it is like after you join.
Either you have to sign a secrecy clause with the contract. . or ? nobody got a contract.

niss
3rd May 2010, 05:44
THY did not start the courses before end of 2009. Presently about 35 expats on course, some released. It is a very big system, which do not work from day to day.
Though it is improving. A lot are failing the tests.

thepotato232
3rd May 2010, 16:36
I'd like to add my name to the list of people wondering as to the hiring process and evaluation for the expatriate contracts. If anybody could shed some light on the rumored political goings-on involved, that would also be greatly appreciated. If anybody in the know would reply or PM, I would be greatly appreciative.

Captain Falcon
4th May 2010, 19:29
https://www.wasinc.aero/Jobs/

niss
4th May 2010, 19:49
Wasinc are not cleared by THY to hire pilots.
Accomodation and transport info are also wrong.

busbox
4th May 2010, 20:24
Which agency is cleared to hire pilots by THY?

thanks

newscaster
4th May 2010, 20:28
Glad to see this thread in Middle East forum rather than Europe.

AquiElJefe
5th May 2010, 07:25
No agencies can hire for THY. They can only screen and refer candidates who qualify. The agencies get a finders fee. You can use PARC, Sigma, WASINC or who ever else there is, it does not matter. Choose the one who gets you the interview. If you succeed you will sign a contract directly with THY. The agencies have nothing to do with you after you sign, so if they lied or misinformed you to get your business you have NO recourse. The agencies wash their hands of you. For each aircraft the contract is the same. It appears that Sigma and WASINC add the quarterly bonus twice in the info package and are incorrect. Many terms in their info package are not in the THY contract. Many of the items mentioned are part of THY company policy like vacation days and non paid leave etc that every THY employee receives. Parc appears to be more correct in the info package. All these recruiters have the same pool of pilots. To me the qualifications are a dream list. I don't believe THY will find that many qualifying pilots who will leave their current jobs and they will alter their minimum qualifications as the pool dries up.

HighToLow
8th May 2010, 14:46
Any news yet?

EFC 3 DAYS
19th May 2010, 04:00
If you join THY you will be out of a job once your one year "agreement" is finished. THY is unionised and the only way an expat can get hired there is by agreement from the union. Once the training backlog for THYs expansion is complete you will be on the street lookin for work.
Only go to THY if you are unemployed.

alternatelaw
20th May 2010, 13:36
You clearly dont know what is the reality! They are so short of Pilots that they cannot possibly get rid of anyboy at present.
The system is totally F.....d U. but they are very nice people.
Dont expect to see the contract adhered toooooo
Rgds
Alt

niss
21st May 2010, 06:53
Contract is directly with THY, not through agencies.

piloto2006
24th May 2010, 06:29
Any ideas of how is the assessment? what are they asking? sim, interview, technical?
Thank you

DownIn3Green
25th May 2010, 02:10
I worked as a B-727 Capt for Istanbul Airlines (now defunct) in 1993 and 94...

The Turks are great people, the aviation system is first rate, and life in Turkey is very nice...

I don't know about now, but if offered an opportunity I would return there in a heartbeat, even if only for a year...

Baki, Zeki, Orhan, Mete, Alev and the rest of the gang....hello from SW Fla...

Artisan
8th Jul 2010, 08:11
Roster on 737; 5 on 2 off, 6 on 1 off.

fight30
29th Jul 2010, 08:07
Anybody Knows The Screening Process F/o Airbus 320 Turkish Airlines? In Which Consists Of?

iyigit
1st Aug 2010, 21:15
Hey guys,

I am a THY captain, currently resigning for flydubai. Let me try to answer your questions about rosters, accomodation, and so on...

You are going to have 7 days off a month. Most probably, 2 double off-days consequtive, remaining 3 single. The duty-time is 14 hours and the company chooses to plan 4 legs of flight with almost 14 hours of duty-time. That is you fly a domestic route, come back to Ist, hang around a couple of hours, do another domestic route, or a short international route. After that 14 hours, you are going to have rest for 12 hours and go for anouther round next day. In another case, 5-days of stay-over in domestic destinations, ( I mean not riviera destionations like Antalya, or Izmir, or Bodrum, but eastern inland destionations, like Ankara, Diyarbakir, almost nothing to do) with 4 leg of flights a day. It is very tiring...

Istanbul is a brilliant city, but very crowded, traffic is a jam 24 hours a day.

I have no idea about the selection process. But I can assure the sim selection is done in a subjective manner...

Details on request.

Have fun...

EYZ
2nd Aug 2010, 05:18
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know the deal for A340 Captains? Is it a perm contract or just a fill in until the local guys are ready?

The money seems ok, is Istanbul and exoensive place to live?

Fubaliera
2nd Aug 2010, 07:48
Hows is the cabin crew, do they party, mingle with expats or are the a bunch of stuck up princesses

fullforward
3rd Aug 2010, 03:42
Some are really stunning, very friendly and yes, they party like in the 80's, if you know what I mean!:ok:

fl.320
27th Sep 2010, 17:33
Hi everyone,

I am TR FO on A320. I need any info about pilot licence for Turkish Airlines. As they mentioned before an ICAO ATPL now is acceptable for recruitment process, but what is the PIC upgrade policy? Do I need obtain a Turkish ATPL (details of Turkish licence possess) or they will upgrade you with your own ICAO ATPL? Please, kindly asking anyone to share details who have such kind of information.
Thanks in advance.

mohdyas
6th Jan 2011, 07:51
Does any one has any idea about THY recent recruitment on B737 NG.
Are they also taking 737 EFIS captains.
Thanks.

aozc
21st Jan 2011, 11:42
Does anyone have any contact info for a low timer turkish national? their online application form is not working.

/A

Berc
11th Mar 2011, 08:30
Hi
Just wondering if you can re-apply to Turkish is you failed the sim on your
first interview. Has anyone got a second interview.
Thanks

samjetblaster
11th Mar 2011, 16:43
BIG BIG DREAM..............and so called standard which they don't have themselves....i.e. Amsterdam,etc...:}

samjetblaster
11th Mar 2011, 16:45
One year contract??????:ugh:

niss
12th Mar 2011, 05:59
One year contract and maybee a 3 year extension, after that you are permanent employed and at the button on the senority list.
After one year no more ID90 tickets. Roster changing every day. Long working hours and a lot of domestic flying with layovers. Max 4 days off in a row.
For now-no upgrade-lots are waiting. Change to widebody is strickly via senority list.
Istanbul is not cheap to live in. A non-english speaking company. On stops you are all alone and changing cockpit, cabin and aircraft on every rotation.
The worst thing is that nobody understands you, very few in OPS, cockpit cabin etc.
Just amazing.

555orange
12th Mar 2011, 07:18
Careful with this one guys. As is mentioned unions are stronger here. And I alway do not like it when companies try to cut the corner by hiring outsiders instead of their own, unless they do it rigth and give landed immigrant status or at least some kind of indication of long term commitment. If your a local, then theres nothing that can be said! Otherwise your just putting yourself at risk of a tough workplace with the "soft war" against the locals, and being nervous of being unemployed just when you are getting to like the place.

Besides the compensation is not even close to what would qualify for the increased pain re:above. The only ones this will serve is early retiries looking for a paid vacation.

10k for CA? give me a break. I make almost double that now. If you want to entice people and have this temp contract employment, you will have to put a premium THY. Are you listening?

Fubaliera... OK for you ... much closer to home. Though you might need a bit more time in the LHS?

baghdadkiwi
12th Mar 2011, 13:56
no wonder you all sound so grumpy when you fly through Iraq

versos
12th Mar 2011, 19:41
Hello.Anyone knows if & when Turkish recruits A320 Captains?
Thanks!

Babylon
13th Mar 2011, 09:16
Yes, they started again recruitment for all fleets .

versos
13th Mar 2011, 19:20
They are currently recruiting SfI's for all fleets and A330/340 captains.
What about A320 captains? any idea when?:confused:

aozc
22nd Mar 2011, 14:47
Has anyone heard anything about when they will recommence recruiting non-typerated domestic F/Os and or S/Os? the rumour in mid Jan was that they would start in 2-3 months from then, wich is pretty much where we are att present if I'm not very mistaken :8

HR-dept won't answer any other questions other than that my CV has arrived at their pile.

Are all F/Os obliged to do the full DLR-test nowadays?

aozc
5th Apr 2011, 18:59
I got a reply today, even for nationals they require 1500tt and 500h on the type you are going to fly there nowadays and no more SO/FO-recruitment in the foreseeable future. :ugh:

paokara
6th Apr 2011, 02:03
any furure 737 captains with the new orders?

latetonite
6th Apr 2011, 04:38
Anybody to comment on the SFI positions? Does somebody has first hand experience with the airline?

Berc
11th Apr 2011, 12:05
Friend was due to go for interview but got email from recruitment agency to say that age limit is now down to 55.

Diamond Life
11th Apr 2011, 19:23
I can confirm reduced age limit I was set to go to IST when PARC advised they had just recieved the 55 age restriction, I'm 58.:sad:

niss
11th Apr 2011, 19:57
The age limit for transfer to widebody in THY is 55 years, so this is why they cannot accept expats above 55, when the locals cannot transfer .

paokara
13th Apr 2011, 18:50
if i go as a 737 captain..can i stay permanent if i decide after the initial contract, and can i move on to the wide body captain later on....i am looking to spend 22 years of flying for turkish and take a permanent postion if all goes well after my initial one year contract

Payscale
14th Apr 2011, 10:49
Very very doubtfully...

aozc
14th Apr 2011, 11:54
Why would that be?

de facto
15th Apr 2011, 02:32
PPJN shows min age is 40.. it used to be 37.
I have the experience required but underage. especially if they raised to 40..
Any idea what is the min age then? and why ?

Payscale
16th Apr 2011, 07:11
Because THY is looking for experienced professionals already highly qualified on the aircraft. Not someone they can train and promote.

de facto
18th Apr 2011, 00:29
I am talking about already qualified captains with more than their requirements except the age ..
Cant they overlook this restriction?

Payscale
18th Apr 2011, 05:57
Dont ask me.... and THY doesnt take personal calls. The have agencies to do the pre screening...

Good luck

Payscale

aozc
28th Apr 2011, 10:28
Has anyone heard anything regarding recruitment of F/Os?

paokara
29th Apr 2011, 02:22
any 737 captain interviews in the near future......

Jazbag
2nd May 2011, 06:00
heard that THY had stopped recruitment for some time?

JB

aozc
10th May 2011, 14:35
I heard that they were to recruit during April but I haven't heard anything. Rumors says that they had another batch of guys sent to DLR in Hamburg recently.

Babylon
12th May 2011, 18:11
There will be no recruitment for the time being on B737,A320 ! But they are looking at getting some 777,A330/340 pilots .The reason being that they are only allowed 10% expat pilot out of the total pilot force by the turkish CAA , so they would rather get 777/330 pilots .Things may change and they do so quite often .

Daniel777
14th Jun 2011, 22:45
So there isn't any recruitment for the time being?
I don't see any information on their website.
Is there usually an online application for B737/A320 FO's?

Thank you,
Dan

aozc
19th Jun 2011, 19:26
Yes Daniel, but the application form is taken down for some reason. I'm still waiting as well for an opportunity to apply.

Daniel777
19th Jun 2011, 19:40
Thanks aozc! :ok:

captain.weird
19th Jun 2011, 20:25
If THY is in need of pilots they will write it at their website. If they aren't searching for pilots, they won't ask for applications. Simple.

aozc
20th Jun 2011, 12:28
How comes they have been recruiting extensively during the time that the form has been removed from the site then?

captain.weird
20th Jun 2011, 13:16
If the application is available at the site there are people who will apply, right? After a while they will have a look at the applications and if there are enough applications to fullfil the job openings they will close the application (in the most cases there are date openings -> closings). After the application is closed they will take contact with the appliers and make a date to test them. This takes (a lot of) time. The selections for the pilots isn't done in 2 days because they have to be judged and conclude the candidate is ok or not. This sub-processes take a lot of time and that is the reason why there are candidates which are hired a month of 2 - 4 after closing the application.

aozc
20th Jun 2011, 15:41
Where did you get this information from? are they only your own speculations?

I know for a fact that there has been recruitment initiated after that the form has been removed through agencies, contacts within the company, people lucky when shown up at the office in person etc.

cool_pilot
20th Jun 2011, 18:48
I am type qualified F/O on A330/A340 fleet. Are they still recruiting long haul F/Os?

Kind rgds

:sad:

paokara
12th Jul 2011, 16:53
I heard November Turkish will be hiring again......ANY TRUTH TO THAT?

aozc
13th Jul 2011, 11:36
The sayings of the rumours have wandered gradually from April/May up to late autumn.

paokara
27th Jul 2011, 15:39
thanks....mr SWE, how do you like it working for turkish...are you a captain or first officer......

aozc
15th Aug 2011, 11:47
Any news regarding the recruitment situation at THY?

B737Dude
15th Aug 2011, 21:49
For us zero to hero pilots moneys not important for the first couple of years! We need the experience first! Money for some of us is the least of the worry!

captain.weird
15th Aug 2011, 22:28
C'me on dude.. THY is one of the best employers at the moment. A friend of me is a cadet at the flight academy, and is going to earn approx €4,000 a month. After his flight training he only has a debt of €85,000. BUT he has a guaranteed job!

thinkpositive
19th Aug 2011, 16:36
THYTHY ..not -25% but -33% (Augustus 2010-2011)

To be hired as a cruise Cpt or F/O , not as a CPT...

But still wearing the Cpt uniform...

:ok:

aozc
24th Aug 2011, 16:02
I think there are somewhere between 25-30 aircrafts still to be delivered. Are they so overcrewed that they can afford losing alot of people?

twentyyearstoolate
25th Aug 2011, 17:23
I find it really disappointing. I came here for a better work environment, and found that to be the case. However, the Lira is devaluing so much, the balance is now tipped to the other side. I just can't work for such low salary compared to what the market is paying now.

It's a shame. I can't see THY doing anything about it though. The Turkish pilots would never allow us to be paid more than them. If the contracts were originally in US Dollars or Euros, then the exchange rate would have effectively given us more than them, but that is due to currency fluctuation where we have to convert our money for bills/investments etc. Now the exchange rate is crap, we have no chance, as now it would just be viewed as a pay rise for non Turkish pilots. The horse has already bolted.

THY are about to lose a large portion of their pilots IMHO.

:hmm:

niss
26th Aug 2011, 08:27
It has begun.

aozc
26th Aug 2011, 08:30
But most people are on a long contract hindering them from leaving right?

NovemberDelta84
29th Aug 2011, 11:20
aozc,
lads,
one of recruitment agencies recruiting for tk is sigmaaviationservices(dot)com.
currently looking for long haul SFOs and SFIs, I am sure they will have more positions (not just simulator trainers)
you can get more info directly from them: info(at)sigmaaviationservices(dot)com or recruitment(at)sigmaaviationservices(dot)com

best of luck :)

B737NG
30th Aug 2011, 11:30
The moral of the Pilots on all Types is going down as the situation within the operation changed quickly. Some A340 Expats did not get the contract renwed, some B777 Captains got a notifcation that they will be terminated due to age now 63 and not 65. Other Guy´s having now Visa issues and are out of order (and pay).

The A320 / B737 guy´s hardly get home on a regular base and the ID90 deal is over after one year, so the gate is open and with the drive of the devaluation of the TRY against the USD,EUR, STG or other mayor currencies the flush is accelerating people out.

Yes there are more Aiplanes on order and yes there are more Pilots to be qualified to turn the Metal around but the organisation and the cooperation internally and externally is not in a row and that is cost incentive and needs to be straightend soon if not even a legacy carrier can face problems that hurts him seriously.

Administration is a obstacle for itself, you get nothing done in a short time and time is not money for them, yet !!! It is something that is not in the deep consideration of all involved.

Is the Turkish DGCA a JAR member ? How come they still demand validations for the Expats, how come they still demand medicals from Turkish AME´s?

There are alot of other obstacles you face, daily. Roster? Something what changes like the bid on the stock market, you can get call´s a few times per day for the next day and you dont know where you ending up flying to exactly until you sit in your plane. Publishing is two or three days before and of the Calender Month, theoretically, don´t bother what it states, it will change anyhow, so stop making plans.

Good things: Sure there are really good things, the food on the plane is outstanding, carefull you can gain weight weekly. The climate amongst the crews is nice, good fellows to fly with, relaxed and layed back. If there is a problem it will be solved with the statement: No problem, we fix it somehow. One helps the other.

The only problem: The real problems are not taken care of, that´s a problem.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

Payscale
28th Sep 2011, 15:40
Can you fill us in on the contract change. Is it not 1 year probation followed by a 3 year contract?

niss
28th Sep 2011, 16:14
No. Not any more. New contract are only 1 year instead of 3years.

Payscale
28th Sep 2011, 17:12
What a drastic change:*

paokara
1st Oct 2011, 19:39
Thats too bad and I was thinking about applying for a captain position with THY

niss
2nd Oct 2011, 14:15
No- according to HR, maybee next year, but there are a lot of F/O´s waiting for upgrade

B737NG
2nd Oct 2011, 15:30
They are not hiring, they are letting people go on all Fleet and seat types.

Scroll up and see the statement from end of August, nothing changed to the better.

The Company has also no power when it comes to Visa-renewals. Some Guy´s from last December and Janaury course are still not on line due to slow process of Administration / Government coordination or left again as they just could not stand it anymore with the uncertainty of what is tomorrow or even next week.

Profitability is in question, the utilisation of the B777´s is not optimized. Some of them went back to 9W and the future expansion is also not so certain anymore. Even they take you on, with one year contract you can start looking again when you signed it.

Flying is still nice, the Cabin - Cockpit relation remains good and getting better the more you know them. It is a pleasure when all works out but the way to get there is demanding.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

captain.weird
2nd Oct 2011, 20:21
Does anyone know when the cadet pilot programma will start?

feeso
4th Jul 2012, 15:36
Dear sir,

I will have an assessment with THY next week for an FO position on the 737. could you plz give me any info. regarding the interview and the sim.

your help is highly appreciated.

dignified
12th Jul 2012, 17:21
I seem to perceive a sense of uncertainty of you new comers daring to join this sewer of lies and deception. It starts with the AK Party making people believe on their local papers, that Turkish people are 99.9% religious and observe the rules of the Koran. "Today's Zaman":}

I wont go very much into detail, but I let you read the book above for those approaching this side of the Middle East, Turkish are a rather lukewarm pathetic people with pride, that one similar to the Assassins described by Prof.Bernard Lewis.

The upper management of THY are nothing else but imitators of the ideals and methods of the first group of the enigmatic Legendary "Man of the Mountain":suspect: to make planned, systematic, and long term use of murder as a political weapon. The Assassins is the most comprehensive, readable, and authoritative account of history's first terrorists.

THY recently terrorized Hava-Is (THY employees union),with the sacking of 305 exemplary employees, they gained the favor of their "arkadash" (friends and colleagues) in the AK Political party, who imposed that transportation employees do not have the right to strike in Turkey; the same suppressors of freedom of speech that I made mention on my previous thread and offer copy below as a reminder for those who believe they want to have a future with this thieves.:yuk: Please see below, the onus is on you, I rest my case.

Thumbs up The price of freedom of speech:ok:
Toplam, or the total of losses to 1/June/2012 is 305. majority F/A's, 45 ground engineers and one local Captain A340. This is only the beginning, Hava-Is, the union has started an open protest for the approved in parliament law to ban strikes from essential transportation sources, as they dubbed it. "Give me freedom or give me death"!
People in Turkey live in fear, from former high ranking military personnel to journalist being arrested for speaking openly, to a culture that under Islam pretends to be faithful to a bunch of clowns elected by Ankara.
Most THY pilots are military background, a culture that relish in executing mission goals. This airmen served the Air force, Navy, Army until the miracle of joining THY happened, as their salaries quadruple overnight. They are not the best material for a strike based on democratic values. The only democracy they know is the one that comes from the stream of water they feel in their ass when they sit in their toilet. Turkey is surrounded by hostile neighbors, the Armenian genocide, the Greeks still claiming Smyrna and Constantinopla, the Cypriots crying occupation since 1974, the Jews invoking more flotilla killings, the Syrians in exile being used by the PM to maintain his popularity, Iraq and Iran being manipulated, and so on, makes of this place a chocking breath environment; The fact that THY management is backed by governmental policies to subdue unions in Turkey is unfortunate. I can envision a pilot group paid like bus drivers and maybe facing death penalty should they refuse to work in the future, a model country for totalitarian if not dictatorship.:oh: "Humble" foreign drivers as the moderator of the foreign website forum put it, as well as the doomed Turkish pilots, (bunch of pussies)do not deserve the courage and dedication that a small group of flight attendants, and ground engineers in solidarity, brought this company to a standstill for over 48hrs. Imagine if no one moved for 48hrs?? Ankara AK party, THY management and the rest of Turkey would have been liberated from all this wrongful policies suppressing the human right to speak. Turkish flying personnel are about to chose, flight with dignity, or work like slaves, unhappy and humiliated. To the courageous colleagues lost on May/29-30, congratulations, may the truth set you free!

merckxeddy
2nd Jan 2013, 08:44
hello,

I will have selections at THY in few weeks, does anybody know anything about the selection process, what to expect?

thank you!

SADDLER
2nd Jan 2013, 18:27
Check your pm.

misterzull
4th Jan 2013, 17:41
Hi everybody, I am having selection in THY can anybody tell me what to expect?

Thank you

FBW390
27th Jan 2013, 15:30
You will go to sim. If ok then office meeting.:ok:

Maxpilot66
19th Feb 2013, 16:54
Hi All
Does anyone know what to expect for sim assesmet on A320 for Captains?
Many Tks for any help

woo hoo
25th Feb 2013, 06:15
Just curious, but why do you state Dunedin NZ as your location. did you immigrate?

3pointlanding
25th Feb 2013, 14:00
I lived in Turkey and still maintain a home in Istanbul. The traffic sucks but the people are great. So much that I married a Turk. I would go if I was young enough to fly again.

woo hoo
27th Feb 2013, 02:34
I know how you feel

tinmouse
26th Mar 2013, 12:52
Turkish Air are interviewing for C172 instructors. Has anyone been for selection yet?
Has anyone any news with regards to this?

Cheers
Tinmouse

captain.weird
26th Mar 2013, 14:47
Is there any possibility to become a first officer with them after your time at the flight training school? Like with Lufthansa..

th0mas34
26th Mar 2013, 15:20
Hi everybody !

I'm going to the screening in Istanbul for flight instructor. Does anybody have feedbacks about it ?

Thank you very much,
Thomas

captain.weird
26th Mar 2013, 15:45
Can you maybe let us know if there will be any chance to promoted to 'first officer' after instructing X years?

th0mas34
27th Mar 2013, 08:54
Nothing has been told to me about that ...

moondriver
27th Mar 2013, 18:29
Did I read your post right? Turkish hiring Cessna 172 instructors?

That would indicate they can't get enough expats to come there and fly for them, and need to train from the bottom up.

Hmmm, I wonder how much they are paying. If it was a lot it might be a better gig than sitting in hotels everywhere in the world for half the year.

TypeIV
27th Mar 2013, 20:27
They are looking for instructors to their academy.

kumbaya
28th Mar 2013, 06:12
Payment is the same as for a 737 or A320 FO......
At least that is what i've been told.

MovingUp
3rd Apr 2013, 20:50
Assessment for instructors should be identical as for captains: psycho group test, english, simulator, board interview and full medical.
1500 hours minimum and 500 hours instruction on one of their aircraft type.
Wilingness to move to Turkey and adapt, plus 3 or 4 years commitment.
There is a limiting cap on perrcentage of foreign employee, so they need to drastically increase their training capability to cope with the number of cockpit coming their way!

Guru8904
6th Apr 2013, 15:03
Are they interviewing only in Istanbul and if yes, are they paying for travel/accommodation etc? Any written commitment expected for a subsequent FO position? Any info would be appreciated.

Guru8904
7th Apr 2013, 12:56
Moving Up, check your PMs.

Guru8904
7th Apr 2013, 13:04
Hi th0mas34,

How did the screening go? I have applied for the instructor job. Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,

th0mas34
7th Apr 2013, 15:24
I start the screening tomorrow.
Travel tickets and hotel provided ...

MovingUp
7th Apr 2013, 16:54
Good luck,
Could you ask what would be the base of operation for instructors? commitment required and bonds? roster and monthly ground and flight hours required?
Thanks

GF4RCE
8th Apr 2013, 19:36
heard some gossip that thy is doing road shows for pilot recruitment... next one going to be in madrid on the 16th

Guru8904
14th Apr 2013, 13:14
Any news on the flight instructors' hiring?

Teresa10
16th Apr 2013, 13:54
Hello. Can you provide any information about the assessment?
I am going soon and I would like to know if you have to do any simulator or flight. Are the ground questions related to airline or instructing?
Any information is welcome.
Regards

tinmouse
17th Apr 2013, 17:18
Hi,

I was hoping to find out any information about the flight screening for the instructors position. If anyone has any information or have already been to the assessment, please let me know or pm me.

Kindest regards,

tinmouse.

MovingUp
26th Apr 2013, 18:23
Instructor Interviews!
Weeks of interviews, and nobody's reporting back!
Is it as bad as I hear?
Instructor's thrown in a 737 sim with no briefing apart from the emergency exit!
Forget to tell you, you will soon be based on a disused airfield in the middle of Turkey (place is named Aydin, 120 klik east of Izmir) and expats will stay on singles as twins are for locals.
Verbal promises of a first officer position after some time!! Only if you've been a good boy, if they need FO's, and you pass selections (again) but nothing on papers!
Local's English skill is appalling for most, but they keep on failing English natives at their "test". Serious!
Interview process to flatter their ego! "We 're so good, cause so many fail!"
Salary seems unbeliveable, "if it look too good to be true, it generally is!"
On the other hand, peoples are nice and welcoming, eager to see new blood coming!
Potential is there, will they let it flourish?

Anybody hear anything else?

EST
29th Apr 2013, 11:23
hi guys,

I´m invited for the assessment in IST.
can anyone tell me what to expect? i have no idea.. not a single!

thx

Payscale
29th Apr 2013, 12:58
Then you are in trouble or very young..

Mac320
1st May 2013, 16:13
I everyone,

I have to attend the THY screening (Airbus) and I would appreciate any information/impression from expact pilot already working there like lifestyle in turkey, how is the company "according your experience", roster, ecc...

Thank you

Guru8904
1st May 2013, 18:33
I everyone,

I have to attend the THY screening (Airbus) and I would appreciate any information/impression from expact pilot already working there like lifestyle in turkey, how is the company "according your experience", roster, ecc...

Thank you Hi Mac320,

Don't want to dishearten you but I've heard THY are pretty serious about English language skills. Best of luck.

Mac320
2nd May 2013, 09:33
Not the answer I was waiting for but tnx anyway for the elucidation Guru8904

alternatelaw
2nd May 2013, 09:57
Yes for expats ,in most cases, for locals not the case even those with "level6😂😂😂😂"
No changes otherwise rosters a joke big license issued as THY not EASA rising fatigue rising incident rates.
Glad to be cutting grass.
Iyi Ucuslar

halild1
3rd May 2013, 06:23
get more info about Turkish aviation from the Turkish aviators at www.turkishaviationforum.tk

doayon
3rd May 2013, 12:07
Hi sir,
I would appreciate any info about thy assesment, how many days in ist, kind of exams, any other important info,
Thank you very much!
Doayon

nrn
10th May 2013, 09:08
Hello all,

Could anybody give me some information about DEFO position on the 737.
Roster/benefits/PAYSCALE/command time to go (i've got 2800 hours)

MD11Man
10th May 2013, 10:44
SADDLER,

Any chance you can send me what you know about the selection as well? I've just been invited later this month and have now started to look for information about the procedure.

Five days does sound quite long to me?!

uchy
11th May 2013, 14:08
Any help for the assessment fo 737 ? Advise?thanks in advance

cessna310
11th May 2013, 19:45
Hi,

Any info on C172 FI screening please. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Regards,
Cessna310

appfly
12th May 2013, 12:39
I would also be most grateful for any information on the FI assessment process.

Many thanks,
appfly

Guru8904
12th May 2013, 19:24
appfly,

Check your PMs.

aerofly
13th May 2013, 00:42
hi guys, does anyone know if there is any possibility for low timers in turkey, turkish airlines or pegasus or similar?

clearedfortaxi
26th May 2013, 00:05
Hi there

any info on DEFO 737 interview/assessment would be much appreciated.

thanks a bunch :ok:

pilotonrequest
19th Jun 2013, 10:33
Hi,
I would like to have informations about the assessment week in IST for flight instructor on C172 if someone passed it.
Thanks in advance

jbgood
19th Jun 2013, 22:25
Any change on that since 2011 until now? I am about to apply and that is one of my issues. Do they have any kind oficial pay raise to compensat inflation and Lira devaluation.
In factthere are pilots living Air China to join Thy , it shouldnt be that bad...!!!???

Kwak
22nd Jun 2013, 17:23
Hi everbody!

I am invited for the THY assessment in a couple of weeks and wondering about the tech and English test. Is it true that the questions are taken out of the 'ACE: The pilot technical interview'? Can someone provide previous asked questions for me?
I would appreciate any information!

Regards

K.

Aerodmb
23rd Jun 2013, 18:43
Brush up on running the apu while pax are loading...cause your airplanes are always hot when boarding.

GA_flps1
10th Jul 2013, 08:49
Is the payscale for the local 737 FOs the same as the sigma/parc etc. contracts?

lauress
13th Jul 2013, 08:43
Hi,

I`ll have the assessment for THY soon. Could anybody tell me about the technical exam, the english test and the final interview? As I learned, the questions are from the ACE book. What questions were asked? Any examples?

Thank you in advance

archer_737
13th Jul 2013, 17:04
There is no tech exam.
When I did the assessment, consisted on that:

-HTA (group exercise)
-Interview with the psychologist
-English test
-Documents check
-Sim
-Final interview (you may have some questions here, quite simple actually).

Good luck!

youri1988
15th Jul 2013, 21:05
Is there anyone on the board who could shed some light on the current situation within THY?

Im thinking about going for a assesment as FO for B737. I have previous experience working for a Turkish company, but non the less I would like to know about matters as:
-Roster, any offday blocks?
-possibility to change type/ upgrade
-flight hours a month
-do they still send you on 3 days stretches in a hotel
-number of lay overs a month

I hope there is someone out there with some info! Thanks in advance

kumbaya
16th Jul 2013, 15:18
Block off: Yes, 4 days a month.
Type/Upgrade: They say yes....but no proof yet ;)
Hours: around 90, sometimes 70 sometimes 100.
Stretches: Yes, several times per month 3 days away from home.
Layovers: expect 8 - 15 nights away from home a month....Africa/Middle east/Turkey and sometimes nice places but by far not enough time to explore the nice places.

archer_737
16th Jul 2013, 15:39
kumbaya

I agree with you except for the type change.

I would say that we've already seen almost all the guys who joined the company 2 years ago, going to the 330 or 777. I'm talking about 737 fleet.

So yes, the possibility of fleet change is a fact

GA_flps1
16th Jul 2013, 17:04
What is a common takehome in TL every month? including and excluding blockhourpay on the 737-fleet FO. I would be very happy if someone could shed some light on this.

How is the atmosphere compared to the sistercompany?

kumbaya
17th Jul 2013, 13:21
Archer, can you confirm this is also for the foreigners the case ?

archer_737
18th Jul 2013, 16:44
Archer, can you confirm this is also for the foreigners the case ?

Yes. In the last group 4 foreigners did the course for the a330. Before them, some more did the 777.
I'm talking about FO who joined the company in the 737 fleet around the end of 2010 beginning of 2011.
If you look the seniority list you'll see them around the 400-500 ;)

Sunrig
20th Jul 2013, 23:39
@ archer-
Do you know how it is for people who have joined in the LHS? Are they given a chance to change type i.e. longhaul fleet? If so how long does it take? Is it done according to seniority?
Thanks for any insights!

archer_737
21st Jul 2013, 08:15
Sunrig

I can't tell you. The most senior foreign captain here joined the company around 3 years ago. For the locals it takes a while to pass from 320/737 to the wide bodies.
I don't know what will happen in the future, all I can say is that foreign captains are in the same seniority as locals.

Sunrig
22nd Jul 2013, 11:55
Thanks archer!

Ethiopia
22nd Jul 2013, 13:42
Five additional 777s for Turkish: Turkish Airlines orders five additional 777-300ERs (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/622-turkish-airlines-orders-five-additional-777-300ers)

igig
22nd Jul 2013, 14:02
Any rumours of THY opening up to include ICAO licences in addition to JAA?

igig
25th Jul 2013, 17:08
I possess none of the qualifications you describe so I will leave it to your domain.

JonMar
28th Aug 2013, 08:34
Has anyone passed the FI selection? Any news about the assessment?

mmrassi
7th Sep 2013, 03:17
A friend has received an offering email from PARC aviation regarding employment in THY and they were said the hiring id open to all licences including ICAO.

mapaydin
24th Sep 2013, 19:14
I dont think they will accept ICAO licenses anymore... The reason why it is really hassle to have the validation which includes 3 written exams in capital, skill test and it is just good for a year non-renewable... It is worthless.. They have been audited by EASA for the mutual recognition and were told to issue validation for ICAO licenses as per Part-FCL which states exactly the one... So try to convert your license if you dont have EASA yet...

mapaydin
26th Sep 2013, 11:31
You are right mate... As per the company procedure (Not national) you should have University Degree to be eligible for upgrade... However, this is applicable for joining as well for Turkish Pilots...
However, the new entry expats were not required to have this degree and exempted... Therefore, I dont think this will create an issue for the upgrade
This is kind of a discrimination against Turkish pilots but nevertheless it is the management decision to attract foreigners since most of the EU pilots are not University Graduate...
THY will see some of the Foreigners to be upgraded soon because they have merged the seniority of locals and expats recently which was a good movement..

alternatelaw
29th Sep 2013, 11:07
Yabanci Re CFIT

A matter of time,short time!

Another A320 nearly hit the Marmariss in April 270 (V/S1500) feet 4 miles final 05 IST at night TURKISH CREW F/O saved the day by ordering G/A. This has all been kept very quiet, as usual.
They filled an unstable approach ASR which was good until ATC sent the copy of the radar trace to the management !
They were awarded good flying medals, no doubt,for making the right decision to G/A.😂😂😂
5 seconds from disaster on a CAVOK night🙈🙈
Alt

AirBizz
30th Sep 2013, 08:31
Just be informed that there is a Turkish regulation in force that by the end of this year the maximum amount of foreign co-pilots should not exceed 10% of the total amount of FO's. If the company has more then 10% they will be not able to get a work visa and validation.

Airbus_a321
30th Sep 2013, 08:37
GOOD MORNING :rolleyes:

AirBizz
30th Sep 2013, 08:52
good morning to you too !!

Payscale
1st Oct 2013, 06:15
No government airline will put airplanes on the ground because the other side of the government has made a visa rule. It just goes higher and higher untill it reaches Erdogans desk. They will come up with something. Limited time contracts possible

SanTelmo
8th Oct 2013, 14:56
Hello All,
I'm just joining the thread now. I'm concerned about something related about the real career opportunities THY may offer for FO's. Now it is true they are offering a "permanent contract" but in the recruitment advertisements they still request as minimal educational level Hight School.
As at the begging of this thread (2010) it can be seen that well before it was requested a Bachelor degree (four years) to join as FO.
This requirement of University Degree is necessary to be upgraded as Captain. For the time being the procedure for upgrade is clear and strict on that. In the event that an University degree is available, it has to be recognized by Turkish educational council, and then it would be accepted by THY.
I mean, It doesn't sound nice that as first officer, there in not other option than being stuck in that position because the lack of an university degree, no matter the experience, full ATPL etc.
I believe that for the new guys joining the company, this point is not clarified in the interviews and for some FO's already in the company it is still not clear.
Cheers!!

GA_flps1
8th Oct 2013, 21:52
There is no such thing as a permanent contract in Turkey. Forcing an employee to work more than a month, or vice versa forcing an employer to keep you employed for more than one month after notice is not possible in practice. Usually they just don't care about renewing your working permit or license validation if they want to terminate, and there is nothing you can do about it.

If they are unable to find locals to upgrade or DECs then you might be upgraded but when a local is ready to take your spot you are out for sure. Go there for the food, money, weather and the hours and maybe a new type-rating. I wouldn't go there for many other causes as a yabanci.

mapaydin
9th Oct 2013, 18:24
Dude,
What else do you need from a country apart from Money, Weather, Food, Hours? :\ these are the things I am looking for as most of us, and would definetely go there if they really provide the mentioned above.. If you are looking for long term stable position with an option to be retired, then your own country is always best place to settle... But, in an expat life dont think anywhere including mighty UAE can give you these things all together...

porkflyer
10th Oct 2013, 14:36
Money: with the Turkish lira hovering at 2 for a USD and 2.7 for a Euro you will not get much. Salaries are down 30% they tell me since I joined. Fortunately I left when it was still at around 1.7 USD

Weather: pretty nice in summer but cold and rainy for the rest of the year. Istanbul is in the Balcan my friend enjoy the cold wind coming from Russia and black Sea

Food: after having tried every possible combination of ground meat,kebab, white cheese, eggplants, rice , olives and tomatoes and yogurt I can think of a few better places for that too.

Plus you will have the privilege of working for a company that has no whatsoever interest in expat pilots, just a temporary unwanted but needed fix ( don't forget expat became an insurance requirement after the 14th crash in Amsterdam and this show that probably being a scientist does not really makes the difference..may be the opposite ) as this absurd bull**** about University degrees demonstrates and the one to leave in a city where rents are higher than London and where the only thing left of one of the most beautiful city in the World , Bisantium or Costantinopolis, is the bureaucracy. While still interesting as a tourist living there for an expat is constant daily frustration. People are nice.. but you will not bond with anybody as a non Muslim. You might say what you like but at least EK,EY,QR and the like offer much more expat friendly environment and , if you like it, permanent employment with no silly requirements or career limitations.But the Turks has someone said..know better..:ugh:
As an FO I would stay a few hundreds miles away. They have nothing to teach and ,no career, no go.. unless desperate and for short time.

GA_flps1
10th Oct 2013, 16:20
Porkflyer,

Renting a nice apartment is 1500-2500 liras (€550-800) in Istanbul. Renting something outside of the ghetto in London would probably cost way much more.

They've had a couple of increases in pay this year and making a salary of more then 16000 liras consistently is not unrealistic (€6000 net) for a first officer.

You could always goto Norwegian or Ryan and make half of that when everything is paid for the way it should. Living costs can be quite low if you import your own car and don't spend too much on women. So all in all, economically I would say that it is a competitive alternative in todays market.

The duty/rest-times are a joke and it's very hard work. Do not expect being able to go home for more than a couple of days every other month.

THYEK
11th Oct 2013, 10:56
THY just announced that all expat pilots have to convert their EASA licenses to turkish DGCA ones till 31.12.2014. :ugh:

No additional training or examination is required and fees will be covered by THY.

Payscale
11th Oct 2013, 11:01
What does that mean practically?

GA_flps1
11th Oct 2013, 11:30
Hard times if you decide to leave :8

porkflyer
11th Oct 2013, 17:43
To understand THY you need to understand Turkish culture and the fact that , while it has many positive sides it is simply incompatible with a modern, efficient safe flight operations. A tendency to machism, a somehow limited view of life, delusional self promotion, a certain closure to the world and a tendency to avoid confrontation, lack of real competencies and gigantic problems of CRM and with the official aviation language. Tick boxing is the result with no real education. A no cheese just holes safety model where the only real barrier is maintenance and technology. The socio-political situation does not help. A vastly crooked opportunistically Islamic Government dreaming, and selling the dream, of a new Empire and riding the waves of a vastly over inflated economy. Good marketing, temporarily favorable economics ( for THY), labor laws and weak unions. As an expat, beside the impossible rosters that will leave no no space for a life, you have to stand all other sorts of negative side effects. Plus the total confusion.It really looks like they really don't know what they are doing. Work permit , resident permits , validations, apron cards,a totally uncoordinated bureaucratic madness. I and, I must say very fortunately , left when they asked me to convert my ICAO into EASA and gave me a month for it. And now I read that they are going to Turkish DGAC license? WTF ??? They really need to put their act together as they don't stand a chance and they are getting a reputation...

mapaydin
11th Oct 2013, 20:38
What I am saying is that the THY may not be the best place to work, but I dont think worst either.. So plan your life, add some hours, maybe another type then do whatever you want... In the meantime, enjoy being close to home if you are european etc..

Airbus_a321
12th Oct 2013, 14:35
exactly, that is the only thing you can do - enjoy being close to home...nothing else, because you have not really a decent chance to go home for reasons mentioned already in several posts above :ugh:

As the same happened to me, I joined to come closer to home, but at the end its better to be far from home and can go home on a regular base e.g. 6on 2 off, than sitting in IST and having no chance to go home, especially if you can already see the church spire of your home and you realize NO way to go home, because of this oppresors.

evyjet
13th Oct 2013, 00:47
Yes, they want you to do the Turkish Licence as they cannot comply with European standards, yet they will only accept pilots who have an EASA licence. Not ICAO or FAA.

Honestly, who are these clowns???!!! :ugh::mad:

Xolon
13th Oct 2013, 08:46
TUI Nordic wants Swedish licenses, RYR wants IAA, UK carriers want a CAA. It's not something special in the aviation business..

FBW390
18th Oct 2013, 08:39
Xolon: it's not the same for Turkey and THY; you can't ask European pilots to get rid of their EASA license for a turkish one; no Expat will want to lose his JAA or EASA license! How could you EVER find a job somewhere else after if needed?

FBW390

Xolon
18th Oct 2013, 09:25
True, I love mine..

I though Turkey licensing was according the JAA/EASA regulations?

FBW390
18th Oct 2013, 10:10
If I'm right: Turkey is accepted by JAA but will not be by EASA

In the other direction: Turkey accepts JAA and now EASA licenses

Airbus_a321
18th Oct 2013, 10:14
they, the Turkish, were accepted by JAA but (luckily) no longer by EASA.
It's good and I hope EASA will resist and not again allow the Turkish to get any kind of a EASA membership.
People with insight knowledge may probably agree.......as they know why....

nicolas17
22nd Oct 2013, 07:26
Hi everyone,

I have to attend the THY screening on B737 and I would appreciate any information and feedback about the HTA test, English test and Sim from pilots whose already working there or did the screening already.
You can MP me as well. :ok:

Thank you guys.

porkflyer
22nd Oct 2013, 13:40
Hey Nicolas sorry I can't help you for the screening for FO but I assume it is standard stuff. Just beware of the following:

1) On 737 you will have a maximum of 8 days off od which max 4 in a row.

2) The salaries are down 20% in USD or EURO terms due to the fall of the TL

3) You will not be upgraded if you do not have 4 year college degree and also if you do it might not be approved by local authorities

4) The professional level is far from fantastic. Very old style... this is a captain company. CRM is a just a word they fill their mouth with. Lots of ex military pilots with attitudes and no real standard.

enjoy

Airbus_a321
31st Oct 2013, 15:51
not only THY, as yabanci posted, but all Turkish airlines are not good for expats :mad:

Magh3
3rd Nov 2013, 17:46
Really you lot crack me up, if it aint good, then go back to your own country and fly there:ok: really feel sorry for THY that they have to settle for these sorry bunch of pilots:ugh:

pilotdreamer2
6th Nov 2013, 16:33
Hello

Could someone tell me what the HTA test consist of during assessment?

you can pm me if you like.

Thanks

Magh3
6th Nov 2013, 18:56
First of all kind of rude to call somebody prick kind of shows your character and what kind of man you are you w@nker:E Iam very aware of The turkish aviation scène. If you dont have an option to go home, you dont disrespect the hand that feeds you.I hate the roster as well i know the shortcomings, I know all the problems however it is my choice to be here nobody forced me to come here and i decide if it is time to go , so what is your point here,that you are mentally challenged.And by the way I passed the screening and unfortunately it is not fool proof as i can see.

Magh3
6th Nov 2013, 19:09
Pilotdreamer

The HTA test is actually quite simple dont wory about it. It is not the same standard as the european tests you are used to, I am not kidding it is really simple, questions group exercise and personal interview.

Magh3
10th Nov 2013, 17:54
Well old pupoloscano glad you changed your original post with you disrespecting the people from the 3th world i found it quite improper and racist, but to set your mind at ease iam not from the 3th world iam from the 1st world ..wauw iant that great:\... And you are right a mature person would be able to take critisism and now go and look up critisism and reread your post..... However lets drop that subject and get to the point,

Did you ever hear of figure of speech ? The hand that feeds you ,figure of speech got it ?

For the first time though i have to agree with you, you are absolutely correct that you deserve to get paid for the job you do, my only point is paisan if you are not happy be a man make the decision and leave because all this negative bull**** is not making it easier for everybody, lets just stick to the facts..

I wish you many happy landings pupoluscano and this is meant :ok:

Magh3
12th Nov 2013, 19:46
Pupoluscano are you a wannabe italian or are you a wannabee arab habibi ..really come on...as for the patarnelistic attitude you are right i will drop it because i really dont give a darn about you:ok:
And you are more than a man then i can imagine hahah what the hell...no thanks I really dont want to imagine that and i really dont gove a poop...please do you have problems down there that you feel that you have to reply with this? I rather would not have a degree in litarature...

You are right i dont have a degree in litarature so your point? Does it make you feel better that iam working on another degree wich as a matter of fact i started 2 months ago. I notice a pattern here old poopy you are trying to sling mud at other people so you can feel better :=is this how you get by your days in istanbul? old poopy you should get out more, oops sorry here i go again with my paternelistic attitude,

Subservient wow you really are good man round out applause for popyluscano wow man you are amazing :rolleyes: that you can get that out of this phrase, you are right iam subservient i love being subservient yihaa 3 cheers if you are subservient like me..

Really poopy done playing with you, you can take that racist, narcistic, arrogant attitude with you back to wherever you are from and phantasize how bella italia would be with benito mussolini in charge...

For all the other people who had to read this, my sincere apologies to all of you and sorry for the thread drift ,i will not reply to this person anymore Iam on pprune since 2000 and i really dont like to reply on this site however sometimes i cant resist sorry...

pineteam
23rd Feb 2014, 10:03
Hello Guys,

I was checking the A320 Type Rated First Officers for THY and they require the candidates "to hold a valid DLR Stage 1 and DLR Stage 2 certificate that has not exceeded two years at the time of assessment".

How could I possibly do a DLR test on my own? From what I undestand, we must get inviited by the airline to be able to do the test.. Any idea?

Thanks.:O

pineteam
24th Feb 2014, 11:58
Anyone knows?:}

TypeIV
24th Feb 2014, 12:04
They used to send the candidates for DLR-testing if they had below a certain amount of hours. I think 1500tt 500OT or something like that.

pineteam
27th Feb 2014, 06:18
Thanks. I was informed by an agency that now Turkish is only considering rated pilots with 500-1000 hours on type. :\

TypeIV
2nd Apr 2014, 15:29
Does anyone have any updated information on the salary for non uni-FOs on the 737 and 777?

737NG_Flyer
4th Apr 2014, 16:52
Just received this email..

wish them the best of luck......:ugh:

Sigma Aviation Services, the preferred flight crew supplier to Turkish Airlines is happy to advise that we are now accepting application for Non Type Rated First Officers with JAA(EASA)/ICAO/FAA licences to be type rated onto the A320 or B737.

Candidates must meet ALL requirements to be considered for these roles. Suitable applicants will receive full details pertaining to terms and conditions for these roles upon receipt of a completed application form.

Assessments will be conducted in Istanbul with flights and accommodation provided to those approved to attend.

Qualifications
Between the ages of 22-45 on the date of the employment,
Minimum high school diploma,
No written penalty due to flight default or lack of discipline,
No history of criminal record.

Technical Qualifications
Minimum Frozen ATPL,
Minimum 2000 flight hours on one of the mentioned aircraft types:

BAe-146, CRJ-100, 200, 700, 705, 900, 1000, ERJ-190/195, B 717, B727, B737 CLASSIC, DC-9-50, F-100, MD-80/88/90, B757
Must have flown on type within the past 6 months.

Health Conditions
Meeting the required health conditions of the Airlines Transportation of the ICAO Annex-1 and JAR FCL 3 on Airline Transportation Pilot.

Foreign Language (English) Requirements
ICAO Level 4 in English,
Passing the English Exam which will be conducted in Istanbul by Turkish Airlines,
JAA/EASA, ICAO and FAA licences are acceptable.

B767Longhaul
7th Apr 2014, 10:24
Received this from a recruitment agency on Friday.

Turkish Airlines is now accepting Non-Type Rated Captains & First Officers on the B777, A330, and A340.

If you are interested in attending assessments, please complete the attached application form and email it directly to me.

B777, A330, A340 Non-Type Rated Captains

- 1000 PIC hours on B747, B767, or A380

- Flown on the aircraft in the last 6 months

- Additional requirements attached

B777, A330, A340 Non-Type Rated First Officers

- 2000 hours on B747, B767, or A380

- Flown on the aircraft in the last 6 months

- Additional requirements attached

Also, Turkish Airlines will be in LAX, CHICAGO, NYC to meet with pilots on the below dates. If you would like to attend the roadshow, please reply to this email with your date preference.

*Los Angeles : April 14 and 15
*Chicago : April 18 and 19
*New York : April 22 and 23

Iver
7th Apr 2014, 13:36
Why does THY believe they can recruit pilots from the US when the US legacies are hiring significant numbers themselves? I just heard that Delta will be hiring 50 pilots per month indefinitely...

Why would any qualified US pilot want to fly for THY? Highly doubtful unless they have been turned down repeatedly by the US legacies. I suspect only DEC positions would be of interest (maybe early retirees).

GF4RCE
7th Apr 2014, 15:26
Iver:

From my understanding they are not directly targeting legacy carriers but the feeders and regional crews that might want to go on to bigger types or the one nearing the end of there flying carriers wanting to do something different.
delta might need 50 plus crew per month but i am sure you and any aviation professional knows scale and enormity of the US aviation scene....

i agree its not a market they can expect to get good viable returns from but it is exposure i guess they want more than anything.... half the recruiting process is awareness in any HR drive...

there was a thread in another forum here where some information regarding pay conditions, (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/537137-thy-usa-roadshow.html) licencing (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/537137-thy-usa-roadshow.html#post8420377) and other istanbul in gerneral was mentioned

Non rev
9th Apr 2014, 00:59
Delta is hiring 600 pilots alone this year. United and American are going to ramp up serious hiring in fall. US airways, jet Blue, Virgin, Spirit are all hiring like crazy. Many pilots wants to stay in USA as there is not better place than home. It shows Turkish may be desperate as they open their window to non type rates FAA license pilots.

Non rev
9th Apr 2014, 20:23
Per THY; heres the following information: I would like someone to further elaborate on the emphasized red paragraph.

Start Date
Immediate start dates will be available (subject to assessment)

Base of Operations
Istanbul, Turkey (and other bases within Turkey as advised by THY)
Duration of Contract
THY are offering candidates successful at assessment a permanent contract
Salary Details
THY will pay pilots directly each month the following basic salary benefits: Basic Salary: *TL11,521 gross per month
Note:
- *Bachelor Degree Qualification = TL1147 allowance, therefore monthly salary
= TL10374if you do not have a Bachelor Degree qualification this allowance will not be included each month
In accordance with Turkish Legislation, approximately 5% of the pilots salary is withheld for taxes and social security deductions by THY

Bonus
In the months of March/June/September/December each year a bonus of TL5, 951 will be paid by THY
Per Diems
A travel allowance of TL33 per day will be applicable within Turkey and TL50 for Turkish Northern Republic of Cyprus.

Bonding
Non-type rated Captains and First Officers will sign a bond. Although it has not yet been confirmed, type rating will be given by the Turkish Airlines and the expenses will be cut from the pilot’s salary each month for 3 years. Turkish Airlines will decide which fleet type you will be assigned to.

de facto
10th Apr 2014, 14:31
Immediate start dates will be available (subject to assessment)

Buahahahahahahahahahahah:E

Non rev
10th Apr 2014, 15:32
de facto, care to elaborate?

de facto
10th Apr 2014, 16:05
Of courzzzzz.
I know for a fact that from the time you pass the selection or decide to join,it will take at least a month to get the visa and to start the work permit process then at least another 4-6 weeks to get back to istanbul to do the police interview then you can sign the contract.

Jam330
13th Apr 2014, 22:14
Anyone going to screening on 28th April?

Scott_T
15th Apr 2014, 03:17
wats the story with the police interview???

niss
16th Apr 2014, 05:57
Go to the police station, sign here and here, then wait wait wait, then sign here and here,
takes a full day.
The Policechief´s son use to work for THY, if he is the one joining you it is a bit faster.

de facto
16th Apr 2014, 18:10
Reacher?
Whazzzat?:E

kwaiyai
18th Apr 2014, 14:20
They are advertising for B777 and A340 experienced cruise Pilots too WTF,

on behalf of our long standing client Turkish Airlines is seeking A330 Cruise Pilots with assessment dates immediately available in Istanbul.

***Weekly assessments - Flights and Accommodation provided***

Permanent positions with stable and fast growing global airline on offer with very attractive terms and conditions (package includes bonus, travel benefits, immediate start dates, stable roster pattern and insurance).

Further information and assessment dates will be advised to suitable candidates upon application.

In order to qualify for this position a candidate must:

Be between the ages of 22-45 at time of application.
Be in possession of a High School Diploma.
Be able to provide a no accident/incident statement and references upon request.
Have no criminal record.

Suitable candidates must also:

Be current on the A330 within the last 6 months.
Hold a FAA/ICAO/JAA/EASA ATPL/ATPL(f).
Current First Class Medical.
2500 hours on aircraft over 27 tonnes, of which;
1000 hours should be on type (A330).
ICAO Level 4 English minimum.

If you meet the above minimum requirements and wish to apply please forward your C.V. to

Greenbird212
19th Apr 2014, 16:17
Hello everyone,
Can anyone describe the process for the ICAO and FAA ATPL conversion to Turkish DGCA ATPL?
Is it required to pass all the 14 exams?

bigboeings
19th Apr 2014, 17:21
Ill be there too.

porkflyer
20th Apr 2014, 06:30
This is the environment ..they need collective consulting...enjoy.

Turkey mulls leaving World Wide Web, minister says - RIGHTS (http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-mulls-leaving-world-wide-web-minister-says.aspx?pageID=238&nID=65276&NewsCatID=339)

Greenbird212
20th Apr 2014, 14:23
Thanks Yabancypilot you've been very informative here, I was expecting a professional answer not this :mad:.

Non rev
23rd Apr 2014, 22:51
Those that are going to screening on April 28th, please pm me.

unpleased_pilot
26th Apr 2014, 09:22
Hi guys - I did a new registration so my present employer which is reading as well here looses a bit track on me ;) .

On topic - Turkish seems to hire like crazy, I guess they are running out of qualified rated guys so they are tracking now CRJ and other pilots for their Non Typerated Program.

I thought I give it a shot to see what this guys have to say and to have a personal look on this turkish company.

It seems this guys are even messier then my current employer(I am surprised how you can top that, but Turkish managed :D), waiting for my interview tickets and hotel booking for over 2 weeks, yesterday evening(Friday before the interview week) they discovered that they invited to many pilots so they cancelled my interview. I was about to leave on the next day...

To summarize - wasted ticket, wasted turkish visa, wasted police report...

All in all more then 200 Euros down the drain because they don't get their system right. Asked me if I would go on a different date, guess my answer....

After doing some research in the web I was really thinking that this would be a not to bad company(apart from the bad Turkish Lira/Euro exchange rate).

Well, you did not pass the interview Turkish! Next one.... :E

Kirks gusset
26th Apr 2014, 17:29
To summarize - wasted ticket, wasted turkish visa, wasted police report...
All in all more then 200 Euros down the drain because they don't get their system right. Asked me if I would go on a different date, guess my answer....

Didn't THY arrange your ticket and Hotel? The entry visa is paid at immigration just 10Euro

THY interviewed over 125 Pilots in last 3 months, I guess you were the only one that paid his own costs.

captplaystation
26th Apr 2014, 20:27
BBC News - Turkey expands secret service powers (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27172043)

unpleased_pilot
27th Apr 2014, 13:09
@Kirks gusset

They just pay for flights within the turkish network + hotel. If you need a connecting flight on a non turkish sector you have to pay it.

My turkish Visa was 20€, depends on how nice your country is to the turks I guess.

It's not even the money that is pissing me off, it's this "middle eastern" way of handling people(i worked already for 2 years in lovely ME till I had it). Discovering that you have to many people on your interviews the evening before I had to catch my connecting flight is just bad. And that's after I chased them up what's going on with my ticket and hotel reservation.

For 2 weeks I received reminders by email not to forget this bloody interview, then you do this to people in the last second.

That's just lousy, nothing else.

Non rev
28th Apr 2014, 01:45
So you worked two years and you left ME because you didn't like the "middle eastern way of doing things. But your intelligent mind has somehow convinced you to continue on the path that you despise rather. In that case no airline no matter the calibre, will regret having an individual such as you.

porkflyer
28th Apr 2014, 01:54
Middle Eastern? Aren't we talking about the best European Airline here...??? :ugh:

GF4RCE
28th Apr 2014, 11:14
originally this conversation was in the IFTC thread but i found it more relevant to post the reply here since some can not stay on topic :)

Mr Porkie....
I dont take it on to entertain the narrow minded or those that have a sinister motive as the likes of you and your few posse of posters here but let me elaborate a few thing here...
You can say there is a racist attack and make it look like you are the victim in a typical attempt to reverse reality.

Well i am not the one putting neo ottomanisim, isamlaphobic or geo politcal issue on to the posts am i.... Just reading your threads here on on the THY recruitment thread its obvious how narrow minded and sinister your views are (along with others)... on top of this you make the assertions that i am a victim....just proves your narrow channel of thinking,.... i have always said i am an expat and not part of the local scene .. so how does this make me a victim....

A bit like the "parallel state" bull**** invented by the Government to cover up massive corruption. You are fantastic at this but if locally you can count on the masses of poor ignorant make no error of believing that anyone in Europe believes that story or your threads

so when has the job description of being a professional EXPAT aviator changed from doing your duties to getting involved in local politics??? The onnly fantastic bit to my threats is the simple balanced objectives truths i try to convey based ON FACTS and not the spindle Bul#sh*t the like of you conjure up.. as i say again look at my threads I never portray THY or turkey for that matter as a Utopian dream.... MY information is on THY and Turkey Aviation scene and not Turkish Politics, way of life, religion or the locals... Erdogan etc .... if you have a desire for such issues then join your foreign affairs department in you country and leave aviation as you will never be satisfied where ever you or the like of you go :)....

I really have nothing to avenge. I'm just trying to give a more realistic understanding of the Turkish "civil" aviation and its style of interaction with expat to the benefit of the user of this forum.
so am i... that is without having to degrade a population or slander them...

Calling "culture" what is deriving form the 80 years of military rule it's a long shot. THY ,for example, has the worst safety record in Europe and the 3rd worst in the civilized world. Which culture....CFIT? Crooks acting like semi-gods in a third world country style pantomime, that was the culture and it still largely spreads its negative influence today ( everybody is level 6 )
Im sure if THY safety is as apocalyptic as you say is then why is it still flying into Europe and not blacklisted, by your accounts, by the negligent aviation administrators then... Every airline operates on a foundation of acceptable safety .. its what risk management and iSMS are built upon by which is approved by state authorities and regional regulators including EASA.. yes THY and Turkish Aviation may not have a clean history but nor does any other country for that matter ...THY or Turkish Aviation are not the only ones to have accidents...
and the bold bits on your quote show how sincere you really are ...

My understanding of the aviation scene as a whole is better than you can even imagine...and again I have never seen such a striking contrast between such mix of negativity (poor CRM, lack of real understanding, rote training and so on... ) and delusional self perception and arrogant pride
really understanding of aviation seem more narrow ally driven thoughts ......Please tell me you spent time in Asia and or mid Africa and say you didn't come across this aswell or been in the sand pit and haven't seen an abundance of "local" upper level managers that portray the same characteristics you so clearly dislike???

Make no mistake, you can block Twitter and YouTube and fool your people. still the image of Turkey and Turkish people passed by its "civil" aviation is sailing through the internet and spreading very fast. And the most immediate conclusion is that Turkey aviation scene is not expat friendly nor Turkey offers a good environment to learn anything about modern aviation
So what is all this have to do with my duties as a aviation professional... i go complete me duty get paid and travel on my time off or have my own (be it expensive ) hobbies... mate you will never be happy in any location if you start mixing politics in your profession... 99.9% that know this have no issue and a quite happy but i sense when you came here (and you posse here) on you white horse wearing silver shining amour .. you hoped to changed the system to you style of understanding .....and because of your unrealized expectation you come on to anonymous forums as such to post slander rather then objective facts.... where i come from we call these types opportunistic weasels (its a generalization)
for example this post and others you just cant handle yourself but to turn everything into a anti Turkish anti THY anti ottoman sentiment...
dont be fooled my friend im sure 99.99% on people here know you and your posse motives and the spindle of bullSh*t , scaremongering and slander you produce and if if you think they take your advice seriously then you seriously underestimate the intelligence of our aviation professionals here...

Turkey is not ready for EASA ..imagine for Europe...may be in 100 years ?? Reconquering the Ottoman empire..still an option.

i really don't care if they do or don't ...will turkey get into the EU or not.. Ffs who give s flying rats @$$.. to me do i get paid on time every time ... Yes ...are employees/employer contract terms and obligations being fulfilled ..yes..(when you sign a contract then have different expectation then you becomes the like of porkie i think) do i get my days off... yes do i have personal/professional issue ..yes but nothing not manageable ...

you can be critical about anything but if you just refrain from personal biases attacks and remain objective prokie may be JUST MAYBE we might be able to get constructive informative conversation / thread going... let me repeat again this aint UTOPIA it has ISSUE some that as unique to this geographical region but nothing that is not manageable with the right professional attitude....for me as a professional is a better option than others and until something better come around i try and make the most of it :)

unpleased_pilot
28th Apr 2014, 15:34
@Non rev

Thanks for you kind reply.

I am not judging you, I don't know you(I hope), so please stop judging me as well.

I always counted the part west of the Bosporus as Europe. Istanbul lays there and I though they would have a more "pro - western" attitude. At least in Turkish Airlines.
Compared to middle eastern carriers this still should be true. I am even pretty sure about that. I did already various flights into different turkish airports and met a lot of friendly people there.

Anyway - I wanted to share my story about a messed up interview, nothing else.

Unfortunately the internet always attracts angry little fellas like you judging always everyone...

Non rev
28th Apr 2014, 20:55
Thank you for the update sir. Please keep us posted. :D

bob777
30th Apr 2014, 07:32
G4..as I think we know each other and you are referring to someone that could be me I must say that no, I did not turned into a porkie and have no posse. Still I'm not surprised by their existence.
For your reference and for the records...I had no what so ever expectations until offered, after 3 x 1 year contracts, a permanent one and told by management and HR no limitation where to be imposed on my career path when specifically inquired. Based on that response I turned down another offer. I was deeply and profoundly affected by this event seen the present situation.
While striving to act, notwithstanding the disappointment and frustrations, professionally, and not having any issue with the other aspects of my life in Turkey and my experience in THY I sure will not watch the grace shot administered to my career for specious reasons, passively. Rest assured.
Before making referrald to specific persons better you check you facts.

bigboeings
1st May 2014, 04:17
Well I just got turned down in the interview process for Turkish. I was applying for the 777 DEC position. I have 14000 hrs and 5300 PIC in he 767. I never even made it to the sim or HR part. I can honestly say we were treated like second class citizens. There was no welcome to Turkish presentation or any contact with anyone who even worked for Turkish. On Day one we were in some obscure building to do the English test and group eval. Poorjetpilot pretty much described it right on the mark. What upset me was that we lost half the group on day one based on some stupid group excersise administered by some shrink that are contractors.
I highly advise to avoid this debacle. Don't waste your time and money.

niss
2nd May 2014, 06:16
So nothing changed during the last 4 years

SeattlePilot
2nd May 2014, 20:01
I just got this email from the agency that was recruiting for Turkish.. Weird..

We were unfortunately informed this morning by THY that the Turkish DGCA will no longer accept FAA and ICAO license holders for the NTR positions.

If you hold a JAA/EASA ATP, please let us know as we then can continue with your screenings - though we did not see this on your application.

Should this change, we’ll be sure to inform you immediately. Please let me know if you have any questions.

With kind regards,

Steve27
2nd May 2014, 22:50
Hello All,
Thanks for the info on THY hiring.

Could I get a show of hands as to who has gone already with a headhunter and who has not for this job. Has it made a difference either way Do you think?

SeattlePilot
3rd May 2014, 02:18
PoorJetPilot,
the problem is you think like an American when you are doing business in Turkey. Don't! :)

I would speculate that this has got nothing to do with your group. I was always curious about how they were going to make us get a Turkish license and make us part of the seniority list. According to the Turkish DGCA you can get validation for a year only and that could be done 3 years. You also need 500 hours in type.

Of course TK could have made an agreement with DGCA and get you in, before they close the doors.

The thing about Turkey is it's a dynamic country. Of course that could mean positive but also negative things. Dynamic in the sense of what we are experiencing here (changing the rules as we interview) is a bad thing. They are impacting people's lives, but they don't care.

I spend half of my adult life here in US and entire aviation career. I think our system is broke because of low wages and RLA, but it is still light years ahead compared to an airline like TK. No FOQA, no union, no ASAP, no CBA makes overseas jobs high risk.

The good thing is, this is not 2008. All the majors are hiring and I just moved up another 30 spots in my regional last month..

Keep applying left and right..

GF4RCE
3rd May 2014, 21:37
SeattlePilot :spot on about peoples expectation.. Its in human nature but those who come to not just THY but to Turkey in general will find if baffling or frustrating at the best of times... those that expect the system to work like the ones in any anglo/US based society will surely be peeved off..
the scene is very dynamic and not by THY choosing either.. in additon to the crazy growth and fleet expansion, the issue resides within the DGCA changing the requirements too often and at times before the noticeable positive outcomes can be seen.. every organisation here is trying to work around the chaotic decision making DGCA and unfortunately it effects peoples livelihood, families and careers ...
in addition to THY short coming as PoorJetPilot and bigboeings have mentioned, organisation is not THY best attribute nor any other operator here plus the language barrier just confounds the issue more.. if you can accept this fact and just let it be then life becomes alot more bearable.. you have to remember, unlike the other ME Flag carriers, no air operator here in TR have been setup from scratch with a expat environment so there is guaranteed to "hickups" and "pluckups":)

I think our system is broke because of low wages and RLA, but it is still light years ahead compared to an airline like TK. No FOQA, no union, no ASAP, no CBA makes overseas jobs high risk
well i do tend to agree some what it really depends on way which you view the system
for a new FO that is generally inexperience its a highway to position themselves to heavier machinery but the command upgrade is an issue that still need to be addressed.. you can work few years get the heavy time then shoot off to better opportunity ..
there is a union and was quite effective until the political scene changed so its debatable issue about the unions role in aviation...
TK has indeed a FOQA program perhaps not cutting edge as some but Q.A systems combined with FDM are certainly up there in the higher echelons.

to those that are contemplating coming here...
expect frustrating issues to arise during the initial phase but usually becomes bearable as time progresses..:rolleyes:
for now its not a career oriented path fly get you $doe$ and experience then grab another opportunity that is in more inline with your ideals.. thats is unless they make drastic changes to internal procedures or management...
if you get hitched to a local then your definitely stuck here :ugh:
don't get involved with organisational politics ... its just a waste of cognitive capacity trying to understand it:=:=
if you can accept these then you might have a chance of surviving here ::ouch:

MaxBlow
4th May 2014, 13:51
Here's a few questions they should ask:

Do you have chidren?

I do, I'm a lucky man.

Do you know the price of international schools in IST ?

I do, that's one of the reasons they're not here.

How do you feel about having your children placed in a school that is located 2 hours away in IST traffic ?

Move closer to where the school is located. Kids are picked up before -and dropped off after school.

Do you know the price of a decent apartment in IST by western standards ?

I do. Living in one and it's cheaper than an equivalent in Europe.

What do you think of the price of taxis in IST ?

Try Paris, London, Rome, Berlin

Do you know if you are authorized to own a car ?

Why shouldn't you be? Everybody who wants one (in Istanbul:ugh:) has one, or two...

What do you think about Turkish drivers ?

Not different than the ones in New York or Mexico City.

Would you and your family use public busses ?

Why not? Public transport gets you from anywhere to everywhere and is cheap too if you can not afford to buy a car - or two...

Are you aware that we do not provide a pension scheme ?

You should know that before you come for an interview if it bugs you that much. 'Their set of train' is what I heard on quite a number of other contracts.

What do you think about having only 21 calendar days per year of holidays .

See answer above.

In the event of a major natural disaster happening in IST while you are flying , do you think your family will be safe ?

Your aircraft might get hit by a piece of space garbage while cruising at 410. SF's still standing.

What I want to say is that one should get as info as they can before moving anywhere. They do have their own way of doing things, but so do the people in Belgium:D
Once you know how things go it'll become 'normal'.
Move to HKG and you'll be surprised that it's not different/easier there to get things done.

Many years ago I spent a week in DXB with the family to find out if it could work. At the end we didn't go.

Believe me, working conditions will change in the near future. Also FDT regulations. It just takes time (another few years) maybe way earlier if a crew tries to land a jetliner while they're asleep.:zzz:

Fluke
5th May 2014, 20:32
I don't know who the :mad: you think you are yanbancypilot. But you certainly have a big opinion of your capability to judge others.

:mad:

alloha
6th May 2014, 01:46
I ll be on IST for the THY assessment on May 10th.If anyone else is going to attend send me a PM

de facto
6th May 2014, 06:55
Sour grapes are flourishing at 20% pass rate...

Non rev
6th May 2014, 16:45
Halt the insults...

Dear Non-Type Rated Applicant,

It is with great regret I must inform you that we have been advised by Turkish Airlines that they cannot accept ICAO and FAA licences for the Non-Type Rated roles as of last Friday.

Unfortunately this means your assessment will no longer be taking place. You can read the email that was sent below.

We apologise on behalf of Turkish Airlines for the extreme inconvenience caused due to the late notification of this ruling.

If you do possess an EASA/JAA licence with the relevant type rating please do let me know and I will be able to advise you accordingly.

I wish you the very best of luck in the near future and hope that we can work together on a contract soon. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

GF4RCE
6th May 2014, 17:09
de facto:
i don't think its a matter of sour grapes (for most) but a matter of unrealized expectations and lack of knowledge on the overall scene here... let face it the Germans dont do things the way the Americans do nor the Japanese to things the way the Italian do.. there bound to be differences geographically, culturally and organizationally... some people find it hard to except the extremities of such differences

PoorJetPilot
I say you could be locked in a room filled with dog $#!+ and it's going to stink. You may get used to the smell after a while and it will become more bearable but that doesn't change the fact that you are still locked in a room full of dog $#!+

while i agree with your example... let my remind you that after 2008 most of us were swimming in the so called Dog S*it and still to this day the overall scene if just getting to grips with the fallout and recovering (Slowly).. if its a choice between swimming in it or be locked in a room with it what would you choose?? unless miraculously another door opens to a room filled with unique exotic fragrances...

Disorganization is not something you can "accept" and "let it be" because it will constantly be affecting you in a negative way.
unfortunately no matter where you go and what ever industry you in... you will always have some sort of disorganization... it something that is unavoidable or else there would be no need to redundancies, Emergency response plans ...plan b's c's etc...

the tolerable level of disorganization is up to you and dependent on your professional and personal traits...
sorry it just how the world is ... just a lot more in this part of the world :))

Let me tell you how things are done in the rest of the world
that is exactly the attitude that will find it impossible to accept the unique issues within this part of the world and make life extremely difficult... though you may have valid point i don't recommend anyone coming here with this mindset :/ you only attract confrontation...

I would have told THY I would like to go home now but knowing how cheap THY is I feared if they thought I had wasted their time they would cancel my flight and hotel and tell me I'm on my own.

look i have nothing against you so please don't miss understand take personally what i am trying to say ....

THY and yourself have invest time and money into the screening process now do you really think THY going to risk a Bad publicity and maybe a diplomatic crisis because you wanted to pull out... they may do a nickle and dime sums as you put but what your saying is well beyond even by scrooge standards and totally unrealistic for THY case..
all it takes is for you to be polite and convey that you changed your mind ..that's it ....
but i think you were pumped with all the negativity before hand and came here prejudge mental about the scene and not open to objective views from both perspectives

That's just the kinda of company THY is
so you have worked in THY long enough and have the credibility as an employee to be able to make such a statement.. yes you may had a bad experience and as i PM you for information to see if i could help or at least convey your experience so others wont hopefully go through the same thing ... yet i am still waiting ...but you take liberty to vent your frustration here... we are all professionals (i hope so) if we just sit down and scream foul or complain without doing anything about it then what will change... problems need solutions not further added problems..

again i say this i am still await your reply in the PM :) if your willing to contribute (not to THY but to others)

Fluke:
Dont worry about Yabanci he goes through sporadic post menstrual phases..although they occur frequently... extremely rude borderline racist and HAS NFI :) but tries to remain relevant by slurring honest hard working professionals
Simply put a job for loosers.
i rest my case..

GF4RCE
6th May 2014, 22:35
he he sometimes i get amused by some of the post people put as such the like of PoorJetPilot'S reply...
let ME elaborate on your last comments first since you typically see this part of the world rear end first :)

Don't bother responding to this post, any of you THY supporters. I'm officially done with the THY part of my life. Just rest assured that I have a comeback to any response you could possibly have. You don't know everything that happened while I was there. I made my decisions about THY for a reason and I stand by those decisions.

First if you had taken the time to read the threads regarding THY recruitment you will see i am not For or against THY or any other organisation be in in the mid east or other regions...i simply try to bring a balanced view and hopefully provide those contemplating coming here an alternative unbiased (sometimes candid) perspective.. Read my post i never said THY is utopia on contrary i try to provide Pro's and Con's from an expat view who has LIVED HERE FOR THE LAST 8-9 YEARS (5 within THY)....

secondly im sure you have a comeback for everything, no offence but people that share or display the same characteristics like yourself usually do... besides the point its not about who can p*ss the highest or who has the last say (obviously its an important issue for you). if your done with THY that's fine... that's your choice and you have the right to voice you opinion but take my advice and just read your last few posts and think about whether you are really ready mentally to fly as an expat in this part of the world...

at the risk of judging your character unintentionally comments like "Let me tell you how things are done in the rest of the world" or "Disorganization is not something you can accept and let it be " hints to me that this outcome was a blessing in disguise as certainly you would never be happy in Turkey or THY for that matter...
i may not have been there at your selection process (some of us have to fly for a living and may not reply within a few seconds...also an answer to your question) but rest assured my friend i am 90% sure on what happened and how things work here as i have been in this country for more than 8 years, as previously mentioned... and not a few days unlike some.
what i was trying to do, as a professional, is provide assistance to you or prevent others from the same situation but i guess where you come from or the rest of the world as you put it, is ungrateful or boarder line arrogant
when you say
I'm about to head out the door for a few hours but I will get back to you on that.
i respectfully waited for your reply in which i could answer some of the questions or issues you may of had... but instead you seem to portray i couldn't be "bothered"
let me go on record on the PM I WROTE that you say i couldn't be bothered ..
firstly im sorry you had a bad experience during the THY screening process.. can you tell me what happen or give me a short outline on the things that peeved you off the most during the process ... ?? i not sure even if the HR crew understands some of the issues being mentioned here so i might visit them and give them some feedback and hopefully correct it.
but no need to send any information now as i might have a fair idea now on why you might have been turned down.. still if you have any other questions feel free to PM me:)

I'll shut this theory down right now. The reason I wanted to leave is because we were told ground transportation would be covered while we were in Turkey. Just days before leaving we were told just to use cabs and they will be reimbursed. After we arrived and had our cab receipts ready for reimbursement HR told us they will not reimburse us. Risk bad publicity they did and bad publicity they got. I did not go there prejudge mental. I was extremely excited and thought I really wanted to work there but saying they would reimburse and then not reimbursing is unacceptable.
so your whole assessment and theory on THY is based on the notion of a cab fare reimbursement.. i seriously had to look at the calendar to see if was April 1st.... so your "that's how THY is, probably always was, and probably always will be" Theory is based on your day or so in Turkey and THY not reimbursing you.... rightttttttt

look i agree your entitled to that reimbursement and it is normal for it to be given but have you ever considered the that person telling you "no" is a human and prone to errors or mistakes.. how about reconfirming with someone else within HR or other applicants and having a collective meeting regarding the issue with HR may have solved to problem... ... all you or all of you had to do is request to speak to someone else or to reconfirm it and if the answer was still no then ask for the supervisor.... its called lateral thinking for solutions and not confounding problems with frustrations :)
look i dont want to spend more time on this, as i can find more productive things to do, if you want to reply so be it..as you said "rest assured that I have a comeback to any response you could possibly have"... by all means post away...
if you sincere about getting info, this goes to anyone here, then you are more then welcome to PM me. I may not reply within a microsecond as i have a flying career and not a desk duty.. but everyone that has messaged me did get some sort of response...

porkflyer
7th May 2014, 07:55
Dear Non-Type Rated Applicant,

It is with great regret I must inform you that we have been advised by Turkish Airlines that they cannot accept ICAO and FAA licences for the Non-Type Rated roles as of last Friday.

Unfortunately this means your assessment will no longer be taking place. You can read the email that was sent below.

We apologise on behalf of Turkish Airlines for the extreme inconvenience caused due to the late notification of this ruling.

If you do possess an EASA/JAA licence with the relevant type rating please do let me know and I will be able to advise you accordingly.

I wish you the very best of luck in the near future and hope that we can work together on a contract soon. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

You got to be kidding..:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Fluke
7th May 2014, 09:12
Blah, Blah, Blah, Yanbancy!

"just dishonourable" Oh golly gosh, "An outrageous lack of company CRM" Simply appalling!

Christ mate what bloody planet have you been on for the last twenty years. Have a look at how Singapore Airlines pissed off their expats, how Cathay expects their new recruits to survive, the humiliating medicals of the Chinese and Indian civil authorities. Ever worked in Nigeria?

You and your dullard mate, poor jet who can't negotiate taxi fares are never going to survive away from home. Your bleating come across as if THY owes you something?

You are correct however in saying THY is not a great airline. People who work here see serious problems on a regular basis. On the other hand we see great improvements and often witness last centuries pilot culture and accountability, being dragged into the 21st century.

So I guess this is goodbye from this thread. Our slanging match doesn't really help people who want to know about Turkish. If you are still looking for a flying job within a rigid, well organised airline? May I recommend Korean or Emirates, where you can fly with just as many "loser's" as in THY but not have half the fun.