PDA

View Full Version : Functional Reach question.

Rusty Cessna
2nd Dec 2001, 19:16
Hiya folks just a quick one for anyone who knows the procedure for measuring this for the forces at OASC Cranwell.

The reason I ask is that I'm a bit on the wee side and Functional Reach is the measurment that im a bit worried about. I know they sit you in a frame and measure the length to your fingers in the shape of twidling a button, but do they push your shoulder against the wall and stick religously to it, or are you allowed a bit of lee way?

if anyone knows what the procdure is for this, or the brackets, I'd love to know,. thanks in advance.

Rusty.

Lucifer
4th Dec 2001, 21:50
It's right in the wall Rusty: no leeway will be given at all.

Hang on some doorframes if you're worried about it: seriously.

bow5
5th Dec 2001, 13:52
I'll second what Lucifer says. It wasn't a problem for me, I was close to being over but hang off door frames. It works. When I was there a girl had got an extra 1cm on her measurement in a week by doing this. They are very very strict with it though. If you're too short you're too short. There's no lee-way.

Rusty Cessna
5th Dec 2001, 15:21
Thanks folks!

I'll start hanging now, how long do I hang a day? :)

bow5
5th Dec 2001, 15:48
Dawn till dusk?

Seriously, it depends how short your arms are. I can't remember the exact limits, i'll have a look at my med form & let you know.

Rusty Cessna
5th Dec 2001, 16:04
Cheers,

I think the minimum limit is 740mm. When I measure myself I sometimes make the grade, I sometimes don't. I doubt I'd get any consideration for still being a wee boy thats still growing! haha, only joking.

Thanks again folks.

Rusty.

fantom
8th Dec 2001, 00:14
and....don't forget, it can go both ways.
my huge mate was too big for one a/c but was allowed to fly the (much smaller) harrier.
make sense of that! just remember to say your prayers on the day before. good luck!