PDA

View Full Version : Can Employers Contact GP and Request Full Medical History?

mick e
27th Apr 2010, 09:50
Can they do this in NZ or Australia? In the Aviation industry obviously, not that it matters. Who can and who cannot do this? Airlines in particular as this would not surprise me.

I was shocked to read on another thread that they actually can do this in some countries!

Josh Cox
27th Apr 2010, 09:57
Only with signed consent from you, unless they are the companys Doctor.

Patient confidentiality is binding if they are your Doctor.

If a Doctor does, sue their asses off.

illusion
27th Apr 2010, 09:57
In Australia, the doctor / patient relationship is STRICTLY confidential.
NO doctor is allowed to by law to release personal information to a third party unless you have given written authority to do so. If the information was released without your authority, the doctor would front the medical board and harsh penalties including deregistration would be imposed.

breakfastburrito
27th Apr 2010, 10:06
Isn't there an exception for mandatory reportable diseases to health department?

PLovett
27th Apr 2010, 11:18
There are some mandatory reporting qualifications to the confidentiality requirements but that does not include an employer.

By way of example, a doctor is required to report any suspicion of child abuse and, as breakfastburrito has pointed out, some diseases are reportable.

Back Pressure
27th Apr 2010, 11:40
Hmmm, reportable diseases - yes, but can they supply information to identify the person with the disease ? FA#K I hope not !!!!!!

Back Pressure
27th Apr 2010, 11:42
Just kidding - it's not a serious rash....
no itching to speak of.............................................

tail wheel
27th Apr 2010, 12:40
Can Employers Contact GP and Request Full Medical History?

No, not without the employees authority in writing - even if the employer pays for the medical report.

Australia and New Zealand.