PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Airline- The Company That Cares (NOT)

oceanpotion
27th Apr 2010, 07:40
Silicon Oasis runs out of water

Eugene Harnan and Praveen Menon

Last Updated: April 27. 2010 12:35AM UAE / April 26. 2010 8:35PM GMThttp://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AD&Date=20100427&Category=NATIONAL&ArtNo=704269826&Ref=AR&Profile=1041&MaxW=300 A private tanker delivers water to a villa at Dubai Silicon Oasis. Pawan Singh / The National

DUBAI // Hundreds of Emirates airline employees in staff accommodation at Dubai Silicon Oasis have been without water for more than 24 hours.

Residents of Semmer Villas – used by Emirates to house employees including pilots and engineers – said they have been unable to shower, wash clothes or flush toilets since their water tanks ran dry.

Some said they lost their supply on Sunday while others discovered yesterday that their taps were not working. Some took the matter into their own hands and ordered their own water from private suppliers.

A senior representative from the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (Dewa) said yesterday that the shortage was due to maintenance being carried out on one of two pipes that serve the development. He could not explain why residents were not receiving water through the second pipe.

“There was maintenance work on one of the pipes supply the area with water. But there is another pipe supplying the area so it should not have been a problem. Especially [as the maintenance] didn’t take a long time. It was less than 48 hours and it was supposed to be for the amount of tank water reserved for the houses,” said Abdullah al Hajri, the authority’s executive vice president for customer service.

It is unclear whether every house in the development was affected.

Yesterday evening, lorries carrying water rolled into the Semmer Villas, ordered by desperate residents to provide some temporary relief. Many residents were seen using the trucks to pump water into their tanks.

“We just called the truck because we had no water even to use in the bathroom,” said a British resident who did not wish to be named. His neighbours wasted no time in approaching him and asking him if they could fill their tanks from the truck.

Some said they had been without water for more than 30 hours. “We need water. We have just been left in the middle of nowhere. Despite being a glamorous city, we do not even have basic water,” said Rakhi Moore, also from Britain.

Mrs Moore has a two-year-old daughter and said it was very difficult to manage without water. “I spoke to Dewa twice but they didn’t have any answers,” she said.

Residents said it was the second time in 12 months that they have found themselves without water.

“Last year, we had no water for four days. The worst part is that they never inform us about it. If they tell us, we could at least save up some water for the next few days,” said one resident.

“I look at it as a form of disrespect,” said a resident from Italy, who did not wish to be named. “It’s normal to have issues but if no one informs us, then it just shows that they don’t care about us,” he said.

He has a newborn child and was struggling to cope without water.

“They tell us water should be back today but I find it difficult to believe them,” he added.

Paul Jones, 40, a charted chemical engineer, said the water ran out yesterday morning in his four-bedroom villa.

“Straight after my water went, a neighbour came across and said they had no water either,” Mr Jones said. “There are all four-bedroom villas occupied by small families. We have a large tank outside that holds several hundreds of litres, which is now finished and will go down to Jumeirah to some friends and wash there.”

Mr Jones also said it was the second time this has happened. Last year, he said, there was no water for four days. “After that, they brought water tankers in to fill up everybody’s tanks. They’ve known this for 24 hours, they have done nothing to notify the residents that there would be a water shortage,” he said.

- A very typical example of how we are treated... World - take note!

777boyindubai
27th Apr 2010, 08:12
Well done The National :ok:

Wizofoz
27th Apr 2010, 08:44
Water was back on before we went below 1/2 a tank- less thn 24hrs in total.

Now- How exactley is DEWA working on the pipes Emirates fault?

Fellowship of the drink
27th Apr 2010, 09:03
because Emirates can't be bothered to pass the information about the maintenance to the residents.

It is disrespect and shows Emirates' level of duty of care to its employees. Its not rocket science.

Wizofoz
27th Apr 2010, 09:33
Did Emirates Know?

oceanpotion
27th Apr 2010, 10:12
Water was back on before we went below 1/2 a tank- less thn 24hrs in total.

Now- How exactley is DEWA working on the pipes Emirates fault?

Consider yourself lucky that you still had a half a tank when you found out the water supply was cut off... How did you "discover" the water supply was cut of anyway....??? Missed the point I suppose...? The water supply was cut off for more than the 24 hours you stated and you better be sure that indeed the company knew about it shortly after it happened. They have no problem wasting time shooting off rubbish emails to their employees but refuse to find the time to appropriately advise their people about something as important as the lacking of water supply to a relatively large EK community such as DSO. They easily forget that we have families and work around the clock to keep their airline going but I suppose that is not very important to them. It's something that inconveniences us so the new norm here is that this must be good... The point is this just shows one very very small example out of numerous, how incensitive, unconcerned and riduculous the entire Emirates Airline management has become. They absolutely do not give a toss about their employees and though they never really have, it has disgracefully spiralled way out of control. How these people(?) sleep at night is beyond the comprehension of the normal human mind.:ugh:

Capt Groper
27th Apr 2010, 11:03
Hey, at least there is water in the tankers to deliver.

It's just part of the fun living in this neck of the woods. Provides something to talk about and put in the history book!

Get on with life and stop trying to blame somebody!

Wizofoz
27th Apr 2010, 13:22
The water supply was cut off for more than the 24 hours you stated and you better be sure that indeed the company knew about it shortly after it happened.

What makes you sure they knew?

It was more than 24 hrs till everyone had water back on as it takes a while for all the tanks to back-fill. We found out because we lost water pressure on the outside taps. We rang DEWA and by that time water was already back on, but with the delay as I stated above.

I mean, did you read this part of the article you quoted?

A senior representative from the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (Dewa) said yesterday that the shortage was due to maintenance being carried out on one of two pipes that serve the development. He could not explain why residents were not receiving water through the second pipe.

“There was maintenance work on one of the pipes supply the area with water. But there is another pipe supplying the area so it should not have been a problem. Especially [as the maintenance] didn’t take a long time. It was less than 48 hours and it was supposed to be for the amount of tank water reserved for the houses,” said Abdullah al Hajri, the authority’s executive vice president for customer service.

DEWA probably didn't tell Emirates because they didn't think it was going to be a problem.

Thing is, why would Emirates bother listening to us about the legitimate gripes we might have, if we make ourselves look like a bunch of chronic whiners by complaining about things that are clearly not their fault?

Dropp the Pilot
27th Apr 2010, 13:42
Well, well - I am at a loss.

I would rate myself as a reasonably intelligent individual, but what degree of bovine stupidity is required to post a whimper that blames one's employer for a break in water service?

The only possible explanation is some oblique gamesmanship in the "don't take a job with Emirates campaign" ie do-you-really-want-to-work-for-a-company-that-hires-people-that-are-so-moronically-self-absorbed-they-make-Paris-Hilton-look-like-a-blend-of-Einstein-and-Mother-Teresa.

What else could it be?

777boyindubai
27th Apr 2010, 14:54
Water tanks run dry in Silicon Oasis - Emirates Business 24|7 (http://www.business24-7.ae/news/national/water-tanks-run-dry-in-silicon-oasis-2010-04-27-1.237413)

I don't believe anyone here is stating that EK are responsible for the disruption to the water supply. What upset people is that when the same thing happened last year, for FOUR days, EK did nothing to pressure DEWA. Flight Ops, Ed and the rest didn't care that we couldn't take care of our kids. Let alone wash for work. If residents hadn't contacted The National and other publications, there is a chance that we STILL wouldn't have water. When EK didn't help the "absconding" Airbus Captain, what do you think they would do here? :{

nolimitholdem
27th Apr 2010, 15:16
Dropp yer Balls,

I think it is you that is demonstrating, if not bovine stupidity, at least extreme ignorance of life at Emirates.

The company attempts, and in many ways, succeeds in exercising an enormous amount of control over its employees lives. I would suggest that the reaction of disgust is due to the fact that although they attempt to insinuate themselves into every aspect of our lives, when they are actually needed, for a need as basic as WATER for gawd's sake, they are deafeningly silent and totally absent. This is hardly the first or isolated example of this.

It is the sheer hypocrisy of the outfit that raises them for ridicule. It is not a "normal" job as in the West where if your employer attempted to interfere and control your every hour you would tell them to go to hell. And neither would you link your lack of basics to their negligence.

Emirates would like all the benefits of slave ownership without an ounce of the responsibility. This isn't a bunch of people whining about trivialities, this is an absence of water... in a desert.

Comprende?

Fellowship of the drink
27th Apr 2010, 15:16
It is not EK's fault for the loss of water supply - that much is true.

What we are pissed about is the lack of information that is passed to us living in DSO. The loss of water supply lasted 24hrs or more and many of DSO's occupants have young children. The memory of last years loss of water for three or more consequtive days is still fresh in our minds and we did not wan't to be abandoned again. Flight ops attitude last year was "its not our problem".

EK carries a lot of weight in Dubai and things do happen and will happen when EK says so (or at least when the guy at the top says so). What happens in EK is middle management can't give a toss about us (or any other lower grade plebs) and the fact that staff living in DSO could not even take a crap because there wasnt any water left to flush was not communicated to higher management. EK doesnt give a toss but still expects us to comply with EK grooming standards (creaseless uniforms but we smell like fish - great groing EK you ungrateful employer)

Capt Groper
27th Apr 2010, 15:26
777boyindubai,

I suggest you call the "absconding" Airbus Captain first and find out the facts first before your words sound like jounalistic script.

Be careful of being sucked into the BS whirlpool.

Yes living here has it's pros and cons, just learning to put can sometimes help to reduce the ME stress, have a laugh about it sometimes...

777boyindubai
27th Apr 2010, 15:57
Hi Groper

There are hundreds of bad examples of the treatment of staff by EK mangement on a weekly basis. If the absconding Captain argument doesn't work for you, loads of other arguments will. Breaches of T's and C's, fatigue, breach of contract, utilities etc. etc.
EK care ONLY when it suits them. I will stand up to them. If they say leave, I will. No issues :ok:

PorkKnuckle
27th Apr 2010, 18:37
I would rate myself as a reasonably intelligent individual, but what degree of bovine stupidity is required to post a whimper that blames one's employer for a break in water service?

Maybe, Dropp, people are upset partly because Emirates shove their noses into what goes on in the villa compounds when someone has a fight or a loud party or misbehaves or monopolises the tennis court, but when something of legitimate concern such as basic amenities and utilities fails (water), Emirates "management" are nowhere to be seen.

Try to think of the big picture, Dropp. Open your eyes.

Get on with life and stop trying to blame somebody!

Now where would these EK pilots have picked up a culture of assigning "blame" unreasonably??? :confused:

You shouldn't go to work if you haven't had a shower or washed your uniform - it wouldn't be up to the standard we're told to maintain.