PDA

View Full Version : Loss of class 1 medical (aged 41!) Instructor

leading edge!
26th Apr 2010, 20:30
Looking for a little advice.... Still in shock, but today I attended my medical and I have just been diagnosed with an ECG abnormality. As a result, I have now got to wait for decisions by the CAA cardiologist. Unfortunately my Class 1 medical expires tomorrow, hence I am grounded..

I am 41, healthy (have run 4 recent London Marathons-but not yesterdays!). I got home and ran 6 miles today, just to check that my ticker was ok (some might say stupid!)

I am a PPL instructor at a well known 'close to a London airfield, UK' and as a result, I am awaiting information from the CAA and am subsequently grounded.

Is there anyone in a similar position? How long will it be before the CAA refer me etc? What will I have to do? Indications are a (Right Brachial Branch Block RBBB) which has existed since my initial Class 1 in 2000, but also 3 diferent 'abnormalities' in 3 different ECG's.

I have lots of students booked in this week and I am wondering whether this is going to take days or weeks....

I have seen some threads, and I am so worried as though flying is my second job, I cant imagine being out of the circuit and additionally letting my students down....

Any thought would be good

Leading Edge!

Cows getting bigger
26th Apr 2010, 20:36
LE, bad news :( . Try and find an AME who is also a pilot. There's a chap over on Flyer Forum (Frank Voeten (http://www.danetremedicalservices.com/FAA.htm)) who is very helpful (He does CAA and FAA). At very least he'll be able to give you some realistic advice.

OpenCirrus619
26th Apr 2010, 20:45
Your medical is good for Class 2 for another year.

Depending on:

How much of a hit it would be (as it's a second job)
What your club / CFI / insurance company say
Assuming the CAA have not actively imposed any restrictions
You could always continue instructing, unpaid, on your PPL (if you don't actually hold a PPL your CPL gives you PPL privileges when you only have a Class 2 medical).

That way you stay "in the circuit" and don't let your students down.

Just a thought.

OC619

leading edge!
26th Apr 2010, 21:08
Thanks for this. The idea of flying for free just wouldn't be the same! I am hoping the CAA give me a call asap. The 'not knowing' what is next is just so annoying!

Peter Pilot
26th Apr 2010, 22:25
For someone who has been through it all with the CAA regarding cardiological matters I would recommend reading JARFCL 3 Section 3.145.
Here. http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/606984.pdf. Depending on the severity of your RBBB there is every chance that you will regain your medical. Be prepared for a fairly lengthy investigation, possibly and some expensive testing. If you would like to discuss this further then feel free to PM me. Your best course of action is to go and see the cardiologists at the CAA and go from there. Just take heart (sorry) that with the correct investigation you will get your medical back.

fernytickles
27th Apr 2010, 02:42
Sorry to read your news. Are you an EAA or AOPA member? Both have really good support for folks with similar problems to yours, and I'm guessing will be able to offer you some advice as well.

Good luck.

DB6
27th Apr 2010, 04:40
I think the CAA do take an understanding view on these issues and will deal with it immediately. Also if there is any way to get your medical back (i.e. medication) they will explore it, which may mean a week or two grounded until the medication's effects are checked, but will see you back in the air ultimately.

helimutt
27th Apr 2010, 06:55
Not wanting to upset you too much, but go take a look on the PPRuNe Medical and Health forum section. Has been mentioned not too long ago on there. A heli instructor is in the same position but not sure about the other '3' abnormalities you mentioned. A RBBB doesn't necessarily cause class 1 medical loss, especially if it has shown up on all medicals from initial class 1.

Funny how pilots and sportspeople show a high number of RBBB. Personally I wonder if it's because we get tested more than the general population and so show a high incidence of it. Probably.

Good luck.

Whirlybird
27th Apr 2010, 16:59
Funny how pilots and sportspeople show a high number of RBBB. Personally I wonder if it's because we get tested more than the general population and so show a high incidence of it. Probably.

Definitely. Who else has ECGs regularly, and since RBBB rarely means anything and is symptomless, who really cares?

I was found a year ago to have RBBB, did extra tests, got back a Class 2, and have been instructing parttime and unpaid since then. Due to get my Class 1 back, if all is well, in a couple of months or so. I started a long thread about this in the medical forum...probably the one helimutt remembers.;) I don't care that much; I make most of my money from other (aviation-related) work...which doesn't require a medical!

Not sure about your other 3 abnormalities though. Depending on what they are, it could take a while. I'd say you're talking about a couple of months in any case, though I don't actually know that for certain - mine took that long.

Wish I could help but don't know what else to suggest. :ugh:

DFC
28th Apr 2010, 09:40
Your medical is good for Class 2 for another year.

A word of caution. If one fails a Class 1 medical or (as in this case) has the decision referred to the Authority then this is leaving one in the position of having clear evidence of a decrease in medical fitness.

Unless the AME is willing to issue a Class 2 Medical certificate while awaiting the outcome of the Class 1 issues then it is safe to say that there is no medical in existance unless the CAA give a specific direction to the contrary.

Even if one held an FAA medical one would have to tell the FAA of the decrease in medical fitness and get their OK to continue.

See Whirly's post above where they state they "got back" a Class 2 after the issue - correct procedure.

Tigger_Too
28th Apr 2010, 13:33
LE,

I have a similar condition - actually rather worse because I have a partial RBBB and LBBB. The LBBB in particular should signify something quite serious, but it was first noticed in 1987 and I am still upright! I have regular check-ups which involve the normal ECG under stress (treadmill) and echo cardiogram, both conducted normally, and then under a narco-induced accelerated heart-rate (up to over 180 bbm, which is quite scary).

Bottom line: I maintained a military fast-jet medical until 5 years ago when I retired, and still maintain my JAA Class 1 which is renewed every six months (old fart) without difficulty. I don't even have a multi-pilot restriction. So even potentially serious symptoms need not necessarily cause the loss of your medical. But you willl almost certainly need some fairly rigorous investigation to confirm that there is nothing serious going on.

Good luck.

Say again s l o w l y
28th Apr 2010, 21:19
The CAA medical department are much better than other sections of that erstwhile organisation. Having had my medical pulled for the last 2 1/2 years was a pain, but I have no arguments with how they dealt with me.

If you get no joy with the CAA cardiologists, then it might be an idea to have a word with a cardiologist and get the results checked out. Be patient though, see what the CAA quacks have to say before you do anything else.

All the best, it is horrible having your medical pulled.

leading edge!
29th Apr 2010, 13:21
Thanks so much for your posts and private messages. It is so reassuring to know/hear about other similar situations. You don't know how important this is to me!

The CAA have been great on the phone and no doubt, I should hear from them soon, with some decision...I will let you know of any updates.

In the meantime, it looks like lots of ground school!

LE!

covec
29th Apr 2010, 18:25
One thing you might consider is to cut down the running?

I am not an AME but I believe that some arrythmias (sp?) can be due to low heart rate which can occur in very fit people.

Good luck, chap.

pablo
6th May 2010, 18:08
One thing you might consider is to cut down the running?

And take up nachos, chips and salsa :E :}
Just kidding, hope no-one gets offended.

I'm really sorry buddy, I've lost class I recently also and know how it feels. Lost Class I due to Graves-Basedow hyperthyroidism and been out of flying for almost a year, since I haven't been very fortunate and it's taken ages to stabilize. In fact although I had 2x bloodworks done I still don't feel 100%.

I'd strongly suggest that you remain calm and try to be positive, I know it's easier said than done, but believe me, getting anxious and negative won't take you nowhere good.

I hope you come back with good news rather soon.

Best of luck!:ok:

subsonicsubic
7th May 2010, 02:38
Try to think positive mate.

I failed 3 ECGs in succession and was thinking about packing the flying game in. I invested in an echocardiogram and no abnormalities were found. Problem was I ran twice a day and was diagnosed as having LVH as a result. Apparently climbing, running and weight lifting can all produce the same sympton.

Best of luck!

SSS:ok:

leading edge!
11th May 2010, 18:48
Leading Edge! will be back in the skies again! Just had confirmation from the CAA that all is well. A RBBB and a minor pre existing anomaly (common) are responsible for being grounded for 2 1/2 weeks...It is nice to know that the CAA are doing their job and I have no complaints.

Unfortunately this is going to happen to someone else, so here is some advice:

1. Don't panic- the stress of this can really be damaging to your health. Reality is that there is a good chance you will be ok.

2. Emails will not be answered by the CAA. I found out of two sent, none were acknowledged.

3. Phone the CAA on the public number. Get the name of a contact.

4. Your ECG readout is likely to sit in a pile for quite a while. There are many ECG irregularities amongst pilots and it appears that you wait in a queue for the cardiologist to examine your ECG, in turn....Nothing can be done to jump to the front of the queue.

5. Once your ECG is examined there is a period when some decision making is being done. Once it has been forwarded to Aeromedical department, call the switchboard number again and Aeromedicals will be a point of contact. Again, get a name, it really helps!

6. Make regular calls (but not so often as to pi** them off!) as they genuinely are very busy. You are likely to have to leave your CAA reference, name and contact number for them to call you back.

7. There clearly is another process going on in the background, but its a slow one, (particularly for a freelance instructor who isn't earning!).

PPrune has taught me that there are some incredibly lovely people on the instructors forum. One individual even supplied mobile contact number etc for support. I am so grateful, but glad that I didn't have to call. I also received so many PM's (all nice!)

Class One medicals can be renewed 45 days prior to expiry. If you have any worries, get in early and get your medical done in this period. You can be hopeful then, that unless something horrendous is going on, then you will retain your class one and earnings etc, by this stage hopefully have been cleared.

In addition, when I retire in 7 years (if I make it and the heart continues working!) I intend to work with the CAA as a point of contact to reassure and update pilots who have been in a similar position to me. As I said, please don't panic, but it is an incredible stressful time.

Feel free to PM me if you have an issues....

Regards

Leading Edge!

DFC
11th May 2010, 19:30
Class One medicals can be renewed 45 days prior to expiry. If you have any worries, get in early and get your medical done in this period. You can be hopeful then, that unless something horrendous is going on, then you will retain your class one and earnings etc, by this stage hopefully have been cleared.

Had you done your medical 45, 25, 5 or 2 days before the expiry date, you would have been grounded for the exact same amount of time.

Doing the medical 45 days prior to the expiry date simply ends that medical cert 45 days early. If you pass then the new cert is valid for 1 year and 45 days - so you loose nothing.

However, if you fail or as in your case are referred then you are instantly grounded until the issue is resolved and as you say, it takes time and can not be hurried.

Glad to hear everything ghas turned out to your satisfaction in the end!!

leading edge!
12th Mar 2011, 19:41
Thanks for all of your private messages and posts!

I finally received the all clear from the CAA this week (11 months). Of course it didn't come cheap. An ECG, Echocardiogram, stress test and a Holter.

The CAA are cheaper (surprisingly!?) than private hospitals, so I would recommend that if you are in the same situation, use the CAA facilities. They were always polite and helpful.

My advice is that you shouldn't give up. Whilst I only stopped flying for a couple of weeks, the situation was stressful and could easily increase medical problems!

If you are in the RBBB situation, feel free to drop me a PM.

Best wishes

Leading Edge!

Whirlybird
13th Mar 2011, 16:28
Well done, leading edge. Having been in an almost identical position, I know how you feel.

I have another question related to this, for which I'm wondering whether to start another thread, but I might as well ask it here. When getting travel insurance, do I have to let the company know about my RBBB? And if the answer is 'yes', would anyone ever find out if I didn't, since it won't be on my GP's medical records. (Don't anyone DARE tell me I'm a wicked person for even suggesting that last bit!!!!!!!!) It could put up my premiums horribly...for something found to be an artifact and that I'd never have known about if I wasn't a pilot.

leading edge!
18th Mar 2011, 15:38
Whirly, I have been told this RBBB is a non life threatening condition, by about 4 different individuals including consultant and professors! Additionally, it is considered that it will have no direct on life expectency etc.. For this reason I dont think it would be appropriate for insurance companies to be notified (my opinion) re travel....You are at no higher risk than anyone else! LE!

Whirlybird
20th Mar 2011, 09:20
leading edge, thanks. My opinion too, but this year I reported it, and it put up the premium by £40! You need to report everything, they say. Maybe I'll ask my AME. Or try another travel insurance company next year.

Capt.unregistered
23rd Mar 2011, 12:49
In terms of iRBBB it is deemed to be a normal varient and found in approx 10 per cent of the population. I wouldn't mention it. Its also not a condition. The CAA are only interested in it as it occassionally indicates pathological issues which of course would be significant to your medical.