PDA

View Full Version : Is a Pilot with Hernia Fit to Fly?

tsia
25th Nov 2001, 21:16
Hi all,

Appreciate any feedback on this. Is a pilot (holder of Commercial Pilot's License) fit to fly if he has Inguinal, or Scrotal Hernia? Would he be passed as medically fit to fly before and after the hernia repair surgery?

Any comments please? Thanks in advance!

Lucifer
26th Nov 2001, 21:23
They check for it in the medical exam so obviously you would not pass, but you can fly once you have had it corrected. It only takes an hour, and recovery from pain of about 5-7 days.

I suppose if you just got it done, then there would be no need for telling CAA and having an exam with them, but surely you should as it may affect you if you are carrying anything heavy and become complicated?

Admittedly I don't know the full answer.

helimutt
1st Dec 2001, 16:28
I have had an inguinal hernia repaired last year. In and out in 2 hours, done under local anaesthetic, £1100.
I hold a class one medical and have had no problems renewing the class one. I was driving within 5 days after the op, flying helicopters again ten days after the op with no effects.
Strange chatting to the doc when he's cutting you open though!! :eek: :eek:

tsia
1st Dec 2001, 20:41
Thanks guys for your replies.

Just wondering Helimutt, how big was your cut?

I just had my op done for inguinal hernia. It's been 4 days now but I can't resume 100% of manual activity. Still having problems being seated for too long. The area below my wound feels number and sometimes I feel like I'm getting stitches. The kind u get when u go running without warming up. Tell me this is normal?

Thanks. BTW, my MC's for 14 days. That means 14 days of currency to catch with!

G.Khan
2nd Dec 2001, 14:32
TSIA - Check with your Doctor, (43, Upper Paya Leba Road ?).
When I had mine done I was off for thirty days, (general anaesthetic). Some people have the much more modern and less stressful procedure, with a scope and needles, that does not require a long(ish) cut and about twelve stitches afterwards, but that will depend on the severity of the rupture.
What you are experiencing sounds very much like the after pain that I remember. You cannot drive for about a month and cannot lift much more than a very small brief case etc.
Don't seek advice here, speak to Dr.M and above all, take it EASY.

scanscanscan
7th Dec 2001, 03:11
Had the hernia you discribe, repaired at Bupa uk. Got my licence back no problem.
One night in hospital, knocked out for the op,repaired with a sort of mesh, a ??? bridge or foundation?.
Old surgeon did the repair,he treated hernias seriously, said I was in poor stook with mine.
Now I felt ok I thought he was playing to his fees a bit!
However todays press adverts seem to treat them as a bit of a joke and like a Quick fit shop visit.
I had the same post op symptoms as you and they still reoccur 6years on after heavy work or long activity in garden or I attempt to race and rally the wife at max cont.
I put this all down to the fact I felt good after the op and stupidly ignored medical advice to stay in bed 48 hours and then not to lift weights at all for 30days and to take it all very very gently.
My hernia was large and when I noticed it I continued to finish the heavy job I was doing for 4 hours before seeking medical advice.
Now I always do as I am told by the quacks as I learned the hard way.
So dont be a prat like me and hurry back onto the line flying,and ignore the docs advice, but take the maximum rest offered and do as the doc tells you.
I hope this helps.