PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe WSOp (Passed OASC) asking for advice

WSOpMatt
25th Apr 2010, 10:01
Morning all,

Firstly, apologies for the name - it was all I could think of at the time, I know I wont be a WSOp until I've finished on the OCU for whatever a/c I go on to!

I have recently been selected, having attended OASC in March this year, to become a Weapon Systems Operator (WSOp), starting my professional training in January 2011, when I go to RTC Halton. I hope to go down the Crewman stream on to rotary wing, and as unlikely as it is, I would sorely like to go onto SAR - even if it was just for 1 tour - I went on a quick 2 hour flight with C Flight 22 Squadron, helped the crew with basics like lookouts when coming through the busy airspace around Mona and Valley, and was lucky enough to do a winch off a ridgeline in Snowdonia, just off Snowdon. I absolutely loved it, and honestly would feel priviledged and incredibly lucky to get to do that as a career.

I am in my final year of Uni reading BSc Ocean Science at Bangor (A stones throw away from RAF Valley) and am a 2nd year UAS Officer Cadet on LUAS, with 16 hours on the Tutor and a solo flight under my belt. I had to ****can flying for a while due to a medical emergency in the family, which thankfully is fully resolved now, so I can turn my focus on to other things.

As I have a good few months to run before I get to RTC and thus begin my training, I figured instead of just burning away the hours working at Smackdonalds (Yes, its really got that dire! :rolleyes:), I could be doing background reading, learning/practicing new skills, and generally sharpening myself up, in addition to the obvious physical preparation that NCAITC will require - a mate of mine who got to the other side of NCAITC before leaving to go to Uni then go for a commission said it was a hell of a beasting but enjoyable.

So, any tips, pointers, or advice on what I can start reading in to to prepare?

I have already started reading into aviation meteorology, and a bit of nav, whilst on the UAS. I plan to brush up my RT work a lot.

Any advice would be very much appreciated,
Many thanks,
Matt.