PDA

View Full Version : Geared Turbofan - re-engining the A340?

Cyrano
23rd Apr 2010, 09:18
Hopefully this is the appropriate forum for a question that's been on my mind:

The Pratt& Whitney PW1000G geared turbofan under development uses a gearing arrangement to modify the relative rotational speeds of the fan and the core. Is the resultant improvement in efficiency more or less constant over all phases of flight or is it much better e.g. at take-off/climb, or conversely in cruise?

Follow-on question which may implicitly be answered by the above:

There is much discussion at present about the potential to re-engine the A320 family (and perhaps B737NGs) with the GTF. Is there any merit in re-engining the A340-200/300 (a DC8-70 series for the 21st century! :hmm:) If the engine is as fuel-efficient as is claimed, could it improve the economics of the A340 back into the acceptable zone? The most powerful of the GTF family looks as though it's in the right thrust range for the A340.

Thanks for any feedback.

Brgds
C.

muduckace
23rd Apr 2010, 15:22
Is there any merit in re-engining the A340-200/300 (a DC8-70 series for the 21st century!

First thing that comes to mind id the life expectancy of a DC-8 to any Airbus. I am sure that would be taken into effect, lots of politics as manufacturers today want aircraft to have a shorter lifespan. I am sure there are many older A-340's out there that operators may benifit from a re-engine, it all depends on their fleet and business to determine if the upfront cost of the new engine will be offset by the economics in reasonable amount of time. Manufacturers have been known to purchase older aircraft in trade for new ones just to scrap them.

If I was John Travolta I would be looking for the deal you speak of.. His fuel bill on that old 707 has to be rediculous.

ravi30
23rd Apr 2010, 16:59
The Airbus A340-300 is a very safe and reliable aircraft .It has beenin active service for nearly 17 yrs. The Airbus A340-300 is manufactured for a 20 yr service life. Most of the 300 series aircraft are getting old.

Giving it new engines may improves fuel efficiency. But still it may not match the efficiency of a twin engined airliner like 777. Secondlly the cost of maintaing an old airliner is very high.

Airbus is coming with A350-900. An all new coposite airliner that is more economical and comfortable and two decades ahead of A340. Naturally all airlies would go for the new jetliner.

The Airbus A340 and Boing 777 are two great aircraft. They both will be in operation for many years. The future however belongs to the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787.

Pugilistic Animus
24th Apr 2010, 17:47
but isn't the A350 more similar to the 787?
I wonder when the technology will trickle down to the narrow bodies for a 737/A320 series replacement?

it seems like the T-7 has a good niche. from what little I know about the 777 it seems like a most excellent aircraft with the 330 not so close second:ouch: