PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Kent or Sussex

Steve Bond
22nd Apr 2010, 08:46
This summer I am taking two veterans (A Wellington W/Op and a Hurricane pilot) on a short tour of sites of aviation interest in Kent, Surrey and Sussex, including the Brooklands Museum, the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel-le-Ferne and the Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge.

Can anyone please suggest a hotel/inn with aviation connections where we might stay? Also, any other places we should add to the itinerary?

Thanks

Steve Bond

treadigraph
22nd Apr 2010, 11:45
I can't vouch for it as a place to stay, but how about one night at the Aerodrome Hotel at Croydon? There is a museum next door in Airport House which opens occasionally.

Other museums you might like to consider are at Shoreham Airport, the "other" Shoreham in Kent (just noth of Sevenoaks I think) Headcorn Aerodrome and Manston.

Kieron Kirk
22nd Apr 2010, 11:59
The Hurricane connection:

Try Siddeley House, No.50, Canbury Park Road, Kingston-upon-Thames, where the prototype Hurricane was built in 1935.

A "Hawker" connection this time;

Try St.Pauls Church, Hook Road, Hook, Chessington, Surrey, go through the gate, look left you will find the grave of Harry George Hawker.

Ciarain.

Steve Bond
22nd Apr 2010, 13:53
Excellent suggestions, many thanks.

skua
22nd Apr 2010, 15:36
Or how about that pub that featured in the Battle of Britain film? I seem to recall it was called the Bell, and was somewhere near Lydden in Kent, not too far from Hawkinge. It must have rooms cos Susannah York famously stripped to her stockings in one. Ask Beagle where it is - he seems to have the scene indelibly engraved on his psyche! ;)

kevmusic
22nd Apr 2010, 16:34
The pub was (is) The Jackdaw, at Denton, near Hawkinge. Excellent museums at Hawkinge and Shoreham (in the Darenth Valley, 'twixt Otford and Eynsford).

Saab Dastard
22nd Apr 2010, 17:31
Steve,

The museum at Tangmere is worth a visit - .: Tangmere Military Aviation Museum | Tangmere Sussex :. (http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/)

SD

Steve Bond
23rd Apr 2010, 08:14
Thanks again chaps, I will follow up on all those leads.

603DX
24th Apr 2010, 11:10
Another excellent place to visit in Kent is the Brenzett Aeronautical Museum in the Romney Marsh region. This was an Advanced Landing Ground in WW2, with Mustangs of No.133 Wing, 84 Group taking part in V1 flying bomb interceptions, and providing air cover and support for the invasion forces after D-Day.

The museum is located close to the villages of Snargate and Brenzett, and has a Home Page with opening times, admission charges, etc.

Double Zero
27th Apr 2010, 07:37
I know it's a bit outside your stated area, but Duxford just has to be seen to be believed, well worth the trip if at all possible.

I also agree re. Tangmere, a very good museum with heaps to see; allow plenty of time ( Mondays are best if possible, better not explain why ! ).

Sorry I cannot recommend any place to stay, the snag is, living in West Sussex I've never had the need...

There is a perfectly reasonable, if soul-less, Travel Lodge at Fontwell near Chichester, handy for Tangmere.

There is the Amberley Castle Hotel, between Storrington & Chichester, where you could hardly go wrong and it would be an interesting experience in itself, but it sure wouldn't be cheap !

Will ask around and try to update this...hope you and your chums have fun,

DZ

Steve Bond
27th Apr 2010, 07:50
Thanks again to all. DZ, we live close to Duxford and go there often, but thanks for the thought.

Sir George Cayley
28th Apr 2010, 19:48
Try the pub lunch at the Plough, Plumpton, Sussex. In the garden is a simple yet moving memorial to the Polish Spitfire Sqdn that flew from Chailey ALG just up the road. The walls of the pub are adorned with memorabilia and the beer's not bad too.

Sir George Cayley

foxtrot-oscar
29th Apr 2010, 13:39
Give the museum at Manston a go, also for Pub Lunches, the Wattendon near Kenley is very good.

Steve Bond
24th May 2010, 15:28
Thanks both - sorry to have only just picked these up.

Steve

kevmusic
24th May 2010, 21:26
Let us know how you get on! :)