PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment VII

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

ThatRedHatGirl
10th Aug 2010, 10:46
Preston, all you need to know is that Millennium is on of the most desired EK accommodation buildings, it is on Sheikh Zayed Road and close to everything.

Google it if you want some more information, usually it will give you some maps of the area and there's a site with pictures of all the buildings.

All of the buildings have security desks, sorry I don't know the number.

njeshwings
10th Aug 2010, 11:08
hi tik
reference number i mean, the number emirates give you when you apply on-line, which i hope you have done ,if you have not applied on-line start by applying, that you can do in two hours if you have everything ready plus the photos. everything, you can cut and paste from your CV.
i hope that helps, but ask anything you need to ask.

hi saha ,
i will give you my opinion an what i observed during the AD i attended.... please and i warmly welcome any corrections....personally i wore a brown suit and a white blouse, another lady had a funny brown with a yellow blouse but looked very elegant and made it to the FI (final interview). many others who made it to the FI had blask, navy blue , grey plain, stripped suits..... really there is no particuallar colour, but make yourself as neat and simple as possible, no big weave or wig, just simple. the most importtant during the AD is the way you carry yourself, don't urgue, don't domineer, listen well and show eye contact, good posture as well and don't show fartigue.

when you make it to the final interview that's when they get abit particular on the dressing, us we were told to wear dull suits, knees length, and all that.....
hope that helps ask anything else that is not clear.

good luck!

Montreal76
10th Aug 2010, 12:45
All Emirates accomodation have a security desk, in fact all visitors need to sign in when visiting crew or non crew, all appartments are 2 to 3 bedrooms, single bedroom are for when you reach more seniority and higher grade, all have dedicated land lines ! Millenium Tower is a 3$ taxi ride (minimum fare rate in Dubai) how ever lacks an asphalt road around it ! (other strange thing in Dubai)

Good luck to all !

prestonG
10th Aug 2010, 13:34
hey thanks for replying and thanks for answering some of my questions. I did try googling: Millennium Towers Hotel Dubai - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADBR_enGB343&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=millenium+towers+accommodation%2Bdubai&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=millenium+towers+accommodation&hnear=Dubai+-+United+Arab+Emirates&cid=14942356350313560624)

and the millenium towers, which it turned out to be the Grand Millenium? and I asked for the telephone number of the security desk and they just haven't got a clue to what I'm asking... so does anyone have a telephone to the security desk at Millenium towers apartments? I'm not even sure if the address listed on the website is correct.

Sorry to be a pain but be grateful if anybody can help.

THanks!

mariemi
10th Aug 2010, 15:06
[Text speak]

Read the first sticky thread at the top of the forum.

ekfingerscrossed
10th Aug 2010, 16:17
An Open Day is when anyone can walk in and submit their CVs and photos. The EK recruiters will then choose a small portion of that group and ask them to come back the next day for further selection (group activity, presentations, English language tests) and a final interview in the days after that.

An Assessment Day requires the applicant to have previously applied online via the Emirates Group Careers website. The recruiters here in Dubai will look through the applications, the CVs and the photos and invite a selection to attend an assessment day, which is basically the second day in an Open Day scenario. Those who are invited to attend an Assessment Day will basically be going straight to the group activities and presentations. The recruiters may or may not collect another copy of your CV or ask for photographs. It depends on whether the information provided online is sufficient or not.

EK recruits on their own, or they do it via local agencies in many places worldwide. Some are cabin crew training schools like in your country, others are general recruitment agencies. In either case, these agencies are "supposed" to invite the best candidates back for assessment, regardless of if they had attended any training in that agency or not. Attending training is not a prerequisite to selection as EK will provide full training on safety and emergency procedures, medical and service training. Neither does attending any form of training guarantee selection or success in a selection process. First impressions count, and a lot has been written in this forum on maximising your own potential and presenting the best foot forward. However, only so much can be done without faking it. There has to be a fit with what EK is looking for. Mari has kindly provided tips on researching that fit, have a look at her recommended videos on youtube and check out what EK is looking for. If you can honestly see yourself in the videos, then there is no reason why you won't be selected.

CV screening is but the first step in the selection process, if you are not able to substantiate your work experience on paper, then you will need to make use of that first 2 minutes when you hand over your CV to let the recruiters know that you have been working in your family's restaurant. Each applicant is unique, and the recruiters may or may not ask you what you have been doing since graduating from your diploma. Even if they don't ask you that question specifically, it's not hard to link it back to what you want to tell them. For example, if they ask you what is your hobby, you can say that you like to cook, since your family owns a restaurant and you have been working there to hone your customer service skills. Again, each situation is different, you will need to use your own initiative, as no one can or should spoon feed you.

It is difficult sometimes when you see those whom you think are 'inferior' to you getting past the selection stage, however, I think the only people who are qualified to judge are the recruiters. Perhaps your friend made a better impression on the QR recruiters than you did? Perhaps they liked her shade of lipstick more than yours? Perhaps she had a skirt on while you were wearing trousers? I'm just saying that there can be a million and one reasons why she was selected over you, the CV may or may not have been a factor, and there is no point in trying to overanalyse the reasons. The best thing you can do is to make sure that you are the best you can be, not how to be better than the next person, be they be complete strangers or your friends.

If you are on the verge of breaking down just because you were unsuccessful in ONE selection process for ONE airline, then you have to reconsider if you are tough enough to leave your own country and your culture and relocate to Dubai. Granted, you have an Arabic background and Morocco is a liberal country, however, you have to understand that EK hires over 120 nationalities, and everyone has a different mode of thinking and behaviour, so you have to really think about if you are tough enough to go through the training and work with all these nationalities. Some are not as friendly (Americans) as others (Australians.. Mari, you would disagree?), but these are personal opinions only. Don't let a little setback stress you out, as there are much more important things in life. I can and do understand what you're going through, since it's a big life decision, God knows I was in your shoes just a couple of months ago, but again, put it in perspective. Take things one at a time.

If you want to get your Licence in logistics, then perhaps you should work on that first, then consider a flying job with Emirates. We are getting more and more planes, and there is only one way to keep those planes in the sky - hiring more crew!!

edoble
10th Aug 2010, 17:00
Anybody attending the AD in México City on August 26th and 27th??? pm, email or whatever!

Congratulations on everyone hired, and good luck to all applying!

wuni
10th Aug 2010, 18:37
Hello everyone here. I just joined the forum after applying for the assessment day in Ghana but yet to be invited.

Anyone in Ghana who is being invited for the AD in Ghana yet?

Please lets hook up.

purelife
10th Aug 2010, 19:21
hey girl!!! I have my fingers crossed for you! Although I am SURE you are defenetly hired because they already called you!
A guy in my country recieved his call when he was sleeping, so he called them back, he leaves september 6!
I tell you this, just if you want to call them so you do not wait anymore days! ;)

best of luck :ok:

wuni
10th Aug 2010, 21:13
I have seen that your age is 34. when were you hired?

I am 30 and is there any possibility for me to be hired?

Thanks in advance. You guys here are wonderful.

CC Wannabe
10th Aug 2010, 22:44
People are most alike in feelings, but the least alike in thinking...,anyhow,but the misbehavior from Jetblue in the States just a little bit beyond my understanding. Too much turning around? Sky is the limit, the guy reached his limit this time.

CBC News - World - Angry JetBlue flight attendant gets bail (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/08/10/us-jet-blue-flight-attendant.html)

Well,there has been times we just got stressed out from what we are doing, or just simply tired,sleep-deprived occupation cause great amount of stress that affects a lot, esp.working as Cabin Crew. Mari, you will be fine, you have put some much time and effort in this forum, and feel like telling us your status quo. You will be fine.

jes553
10th Aug 2010, 23:44
Hay babe I have tried calling the number back as well as some numbers leogemetro gave me but they say the number is incorrect or incomplete ?? Thanks though and good luck witness your medicals

IFLy4Free
10th Aug 2010, 23:57
Jet Blue flight attendant is truning into a hero in the USA.

lchgmabc
11th Aug 2010, 02:03
[Text speak]

kenyan85
11th Aug 2010, 06:42
Hey Wuni, welcome to the forum. Kindly read back on the posts and contact SAHA, she's also from Ghana and going for the AD. Send her a private message and you guys can hook up. As for Montreal76, he has been with EK with a little over one and a half years. He has previous experience as cabin crew with another airline. As for the age question - as long as you look presentable and have a lovely personality, you don't have to worry about anything. The fact that they invited you for the AD means you have what they're looking for.
mariemi darling, google 'emirates uniform' and click on the first image that comes up, which has a guy and a lady posing wearing the EK uniform. The lady's pose and posture is what you need to emulate in your photo. Big smile, hair pulled back in a bun, one foot SLIGHTLY in front of the one, hands clearly visible, neutral color makeup, a good red lippy that compliments your skin color, over the knee SKIRT (no trousers), nice comfortable elegant shoes. I don't know about the cover letter from your parents, since it's a family business right? You could get a non-family member working at the restaurant who is your superior to write you the recommendation, to avoid bias. I stand to be corrected, though.
As for njesh and I, we had so much fun shopping and prepping her up for her interview, and in my opinion, she had it all. Here's hoping she gets her call soon!
Lastly, I was thinking - we totally need a 'support group/forum' for those guys who've gone through to the Final Interview and gotten rejected once or twice or thrice. It would be great to connect and share tips and encourage each other as we wait out the one year 'penalty' so we can reapply again (saab dastard, I hope you're reading this). For example in my case, twice rejected, waiting for April 2011 to reapply. Guys, lets get in touch and form a 'human pyramid' that'll see us get thru in our second or third trial. Good luck to all waiting on their OD's, AD's, FI's, GC's, and DOJ's!

njeshwings
11th Aug 2010, 07:26
hi there,
i have several lines for HR emirates, please try, i hope really at least one works for you. all fingers, toes and legs :mad::mad: crossed for you.
+971 470 83915 or +971 470 81564 call between 8am -11am dubai time. try also +971 4214 4444 am not very sure about this one's timing.
i wish you luck my dear, am praying for you also.

for guys from the same country and cities (ghana guys) try and connect and help each other out, we did that with kenyan85 and it was of much help sometimes you might see something in me that i need to work on, and i may not be aware of. don't know where i would be if i had not joined this forum, ....clueless is the word, it has helped me a lot,

versace_nathan
11th Aug 2010, 09:06
what could possibly happen or you can do if you discovered that you cant start with EK in the next 6 months?? IE you have completed the medicals and pretty much ready to go but however things has changed blah blah please help...would they take you in 6 months? or they will just flag your application?? any ideas? Thank you :ugh:

kenyan85
11th Aug 2010, 13:05
Call them up and ask to speak to your induction officer. Explain your case to her. Don't email, you'll wait forever for a reply. If I were you, I would weigh my options, but at the end of the day, I would still leave for DXB within the 6 months. What I know is that they can push your DOJ at your request, for upto two (or three?) months. I think njeshwings had posted their contact numbers last time she wrote. Good luck.

Don Pablo
11th Aug 2010, 13:23
Hi guys. Long time reader, first time posting. Its amazing how much information you can get from this thread before attending your AD. I registred late for the Nairobi AD and sadly we were asked to drop off our CV's and didn't get to participate in the AD. Njeshwigs, congrats on your progress, good to know someone from here has made it that far. So I realised Emirates are coming back to Kenya next month and I'm so excited, registered very early but still haven't got the invitation. I wanted to ask how long does it take for them to send the invitation to the AD? I'm planning to travel to Mombasa is I get the invite and all the tips you guys give out have been very helpful in preparing for it. Kenyan85, love your spirit, good to see you haven't given up. Its been good to see you guys represent 254. Keep posting any info you've got, its much appreciated.

kenyan85
11th Aug 2010, 17:42
Hey Don Pablo, welcome to the forum. Are you male or female? All I know is that if the recruiter likes you, they like you. In most ADs, you'll have 85 ladies and 5 guys. Or less. As for the invite, they tend to be very picky. They mostly go with the photos you submitted with your application so make sure you have excellent photos, though you shouldn't photoshop. I'm actually from Mombasa, but live and study and work in Nairobi. Good luck.
P.S - All I know is they don't take many Kenyan guys, or call them for their AD. You have to be exceptional. They also take note of guys who - what can I say - have 'feminine' qualities (anticipating someone's needs, modesty / passive, elegance, patience, charm, very good listening skills, very articulate, great skin, an *almost* androgynous look) so it's much harder for kenyan guys since most don't have these qualities. And yes, I'm not giving up anytime soon, having made it twice to FI and being the ONLY GUY to make it to the FI both times (I can see Mari rolling her eyes hehe) so I think I pretty much can tell what they're looking for. If only most Kenyan men could take directions and had a smaller ego. But then again, Jesus would have to come back rapture style before that happens. I'm just saying *smile*. Anyway good luck with your Mombasa AD, guys.

betheresoon
11th Aug 2010, 18:48
I'm going for the AD on 22nd August. this is my second time hoping to get through this time. i'm not as nervous as i was at the first time. I'm little bit relax than before.

Figures cross. If anybody want to hook up with me, you are always welcome. good luck everybody preparing for AD or OD.

All the best of luck.:ok:

MicheEK
11th Aug 2010, 18:54
Good luck to all those attending the Mombasa AD. Would be great to see you all there and make it till the end together. Fingers crossed for now. Don't forget to say your prayers!

Don Pablo
11th Aug 2010, 19:49
I'm a dude. I'm guessing for the most part I fit that descreption so I'm not really fazed. The only problem is getting the invite. I submitted my photos but I didn't smile in those photos, is that a pre-requisite? Apart from that I'm feeling quite confident that I've got what they are looking for based on the info provided on this thread. Here's to hoping they won't burst my bubble :)

kenyan85
11th Aug 2010, 20:28
Good on you *grin*. Check your messages! And yes, you have to smile like your life depended on it on the photos. You might wanna re-do them, not too late. Anyway, you have mail.

wuni
11th Aug 2010, 20:45
How are you? I am from Ghana and still waiting for my invite to the AD. When did you apply and when did you get the invitation to attend the AD?

Please still ancious to get and invite.

This is my second time applying but first time in this forum.

Thanks

mariemi
12th Aug 2010, 01:51
thank you for your reply i'm thankful
i wish you can make it next time =)
about my family's restaurant,should i not mention it at all since it"s my mum's we don't have the same last name or i can just write that i was a co-manager with my sister

Biotech
12th Aug 2010, 05:01
There is no time formula for this thing. For example to Flor it was just a waiting period of 10 days to get her GC. In my case my status changed to You will be contacted after 14 days from my FI, and 5 days later i received my GC. Yeah i spent 5 spleepless nights. And when i finally worn out and fell asleep... THE GC:ugh:
And just like how you pointed, to some others it was a 4 to 5 weeks of waiting.

So try to calm a little bit. I know it is impossible, but try to:O

They do not answer back our emails unless they need something that we missed to hand them on the FI.

Best Wishes!!!!
:ok:

Ps. keep us updated if anything happens!!

njeshwings
12th Aug 2010, 05:51
[Text speak]

AmandaUC
12th Aug 2010, 07:12
Hi guys, can anybody please help me with providing or sending a link so I can download the image and uniform form as I'm having difficulties downloading/opening it.

Any help would be great! :)

Seja
12th Aug 2010, 08:01
Hello Everybody!

I just read the WHOLE thread... needed a couple of hours but it was so helpful to see that all of you are going through the same...
My date of joing is 1st of November, anyone else out there? Contact me ;-) I would love to chat with you out there!

Anyone here that has been attending the FI the OD/AD in Zurich on the 2nd/3rd April and made it? I didn't write down one number, me stupid lil girl! Most probably you are already in Dubai in training... Good luck to you guys!
Any swiss people here?

Thanks anyway to all of you guys for being so helpful and nice, I was so impressed and I can't wait to hopefully meet some of you in Dubai!

I am still so nervous, I think unless I got that ticket and visa I will still be afraid that they reject me???? :uhoh:

Happy flying!

SLOT17
12th Aug 2010, 10:08
Hi everyone!!

My FI was on 2nd of August, and my status is still "under review" ...I know there is not a time formula for this but I received a call from them asking me to send some pictures that I have already sent last Friday (by post and from Spain to the Uk address in London)... now I am a bit worried and I don't know if I should send the pictures again by e-mail, call them or maybe the best thing ... be patient and wait ;)

by the way! anyone there who attended the OD in Bournemouth?! :) thanksss

njeshwings
12th Aug 2010, 10:18
:eek::eek: :eek: my status has changed to approval in progress!!! my heart is beating very fast!!! am trying to be busy at work, but my head is all there :ugh: :ugh: ooohhhh noooo!!!
my FI was on 7th august.

Mari
12th Aug 2010, 10:49
AmandaUC,

I'm sure someone will send you these documents as you were so kind to write in detail about your OD and contributed with your experience to this thread. Good luck with Emirates!

Njeswings,

finally a good word to me and it gets deleted! Why do you use this horrible text speak?! By the way: I'm full of stories, yes, I just don't have the energy to write... and it's hard to understand for you without the "Real Experience". Don't worry: you will see... Very soon. I'm sure you will get your call soon.

I'm just devastated that pepole like Kenyan85 didn't make it. (What the hell did you say at the FI? I'm gonna hunt you down if you don't make it next time!). And Jess is still waiting. (What the hell is going on?!)

Well, I cannot provide any interesting gossips or information as there were no significant questions asked. I just appreciate that 3 people actually asked me "how are you" via pm recently and they were sweet and didn't ask any stupid questions.

Well, good luck to the applicants: read the LONG posts, there is some info in this thread which is worth to read.

YELLYBABY
12th Aug 2010, 11:17
Hi all
I would just like to share my experience so far, especially for those waiting for the golden call.

AD 08 May 2010
FI 10 May 2010

Status change to 'Approval in Progress" 17 May 2010

From then to now, I have resent my photos 5 times, recieved 3 calls from Dubai and still waiting.

This Monday the 10th of August it has been exactly 3 months. No golden call yet.Whats even more frustrating than my whole life standing still for 3 months is, even if I do get the call in the next week or two, it seems (from the DOJ of the others on this blog) I will be able to join in like January??IF I'm successful.

I'm getting to the point where I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard not to be negative.Everyday I seen pictures on facebook of those that was at my FI having the time of there lives in Dubai.

Just thought I will share this with you guys.

Goodluck to all those waiting!
x

kenyan85
12th Aug 2010, 11:19
hey guys,

njeshwings , I told you it'll come soon enough - you have the full package girl, so don't worry - your call is on its way. And get a GOOD phone babes, one that doesn't have its back cover falling off all the time :}. I know how it feels. It's only a matter of time til you see a +97..... number flashing on your mobile :D

mari, I had a bad case of verbal diarrhea during my FI - I mentioned something bad about my previous employer and before I knew it, my chances were smashed due to my silly mistake :\. I have learned from my mistakes , though. I'm gearing up for next April now ;)

mariema , I think you could still get that cover letter from a family member, since I don't see any other way around it, and despite it being a family business, they nevertheless know you from a professional standpoint . I think the only time they have a problem is on your cv - when putting down your referees, don't put down the contacts of a relative.

Good luck to all !

Mari
12th Aug 2010, 11:38
Kenyan85, I do remember your post, of course. I'm very impressed that you sport "the mistake". (If this was the mistake. Are we sure?!) The mistake: too much criticism, the tone of voice maybe? Again: with more luck it might have been written down in a different way. (The Luck comes in: humans write those reports. Your interview is not recorded: other people write your words down.) I wondered many times whether you were not too clever for this job. (Honestly: you don't need a PHD to do this!) The question is: are you clever enough to trick them?

All the best!

kenyan85
12th Aug 2010, 13:12
You are absolutely right! I DID criticize my previous employer. I don't even know what I was THINKING doing that hehe.
And yes, it's true that you don't need a phD for this job, maybe my mistake was in overthinking things. I am at heart an IFSP personality - excellent perception, but spend too much time in my head. A perfectionist too, which works to my favor most times.
I just need to learn how to be 'shrewd' during the Final Interview. Thanks!

njeshwings
12th Aug 2010, 13:13
[Text speak]

njeshwings
12th Aug 2010, 13:20
yellybaby,
sweetheart am sorry, i know what you are going through. first don't worry try and write them an email, with the my earlier post, or rather [email protected] and find out give them your reference number and ask what is going on? you can try also call on these numbers..+971 470 81564 or +971470 83915 time 8-11am dubai time. all the best my dear.

ThatRedHatGirl
12th Aug 2010, 13:31
Maybe the reason the phones are so busy/unanswered is because people keep posting the numbers on PUBLIC FORUMS :ugh:

If you have passed the FI then you can use your brain and find them yourself by logging into the portal. It's not really necessary to ask someone to give you numbers here. If you must, how about using the Private Message system? I bet now Recruitment are overrun with calls from people who just have silly questions about Open Days who haven't even attended one yet!

Just think, now the people who really need to contact them (i.e. those a few days away from flying out) probably can't contact them because the voice mail box is full.

Really I wish people woul stop and consider for a second before just posting whatever they feel like.

As for text speak, re-read your most recent post. "U" should be "you". The forum moderators like you to use the best English you know. It doesn't have to be perfect but you should make an attempt to use real words.

njeshwings
12th Aug 2010, 14:01
Thatredhatgal
thanks for your assistance, now i know am still new so learning alot, on a second note don't get emotional, because someone could be distressed, sometime reach their end, and are so down.

Don Pablo
12th Aug 2010, 14:38
I didn't smile in the photo, damn. Now I gotta re-do it. I'll get to that asap.

Seja
12th Aug 2010, 15:09
Hi Slot17, of course you have to send the pics, as you said you got a call and they were telling you to do so, what is there to think about??

Take some nice pictures and send them, didn't you ask where to send them? I had to resend pics 2 times and I sent them via e-mail, just watch out they are under 1MB! Good Luck!!!!:ok:

ThatRedHatGirl
12th Aug 2010, 16:50
I'm not getting emotional, just stating the facts.

It'snot just you, a lot of people post the numbers. Then, once they get their GC, they come on here frustrated that they can't get through to HR. Just suggesting why this may be the case.

It really is common sense that if you post phone numbers publicly, people other than the intended recipient WILL use those numbers.

Don't worry too much about photos, unlike the popular belief they DO NOT have to be professionally done, however they must LOOK professional. (There is a difference)

If you want to spend hundreds of dollars, go ahead. But not one person I know myself who got into EK ever got in with studio pictures, they did their own.

raw
12th Aug 2010, 17:14
I know this question has probably been asked dozens of times, but I used the search function and didn't come across a clear answer. I know you don't have to have "perfect" teeth to be a FA but do you see anyone actually working there with a gap or a huge overbite or any other dental malformation? I have both, which doesn't make the gap noticable when I smile, but you can clearly see it when I'm talking. People have said before that I have a nice smile, but I'm considering getting surgery to fix this. Is it even worth the process?

Also, all the flight attendants I've seen in the videos have straight hair. If you have really curly hair, do you have to straighten it, or can you just put it back in a bun and still have waves in your hair?

Thanks!

betheresoon
12th Aug 2010, 18:12
I applied on 26th July and got my invitation on 4th August. My first AD was March but didn't get make it.

BUTTER-FLY
12th Aug 2010, 18:30
Hi guys------:)
I need some helps. In my FI, after talking with recluiters I had a Logical test:*. I did it in about 20 minutes and in that moment all thing ok...!!1 but now I have several doubts about.....!!!! Why had I to do it? What it means?:rolleyes:. Anybody knows something about? It have to be 100% ok? OMG OMG OMG........!!!!!
On other hands, my status is still in approval in progress since 2 weeks and 3 days now.....!!!!!!:*........ please I need support becouse this situation is driving my maaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd......!!!!
Thank you......... good luck.

elmirk7
12th Aug 2010, 21:10
[Text speak]

purelife
13th Aug 2010, 01:04
[Text speak]

jes553
13th Aug 2010, 03:35
Just thought to keep you posted,
Been 4 and a half weeks still no call, :(
Hopefully this is a good sign?????.
And best of luck to others awaiting their GC as well x

WittleWabbit
13th Aug 2010, 07:34
Hi guys, pretty sure I havent been the only one with this problem, but I can't download the medical forms... If anyone else has them would it be possible to email them to me?? thanks :)))))))

jes553
13th Aug 2010, 09:33
Pm me your email and I'll send it to you? Were you at the Brisbane interviews just gone 17th July?

ccARG
13th Aug 2010, 09:52
Hi everyone,
I know this question might have been asked several times in these threads, but more feedback is always welcome.
I'm currently 31 years old (born mid 1979), and went through OD's, AD's and FI's twice already.
I'm currently getting closer to the end of my 1-year waiting period before I can re-apply, which I'm planning to do soon.
My question is: What's the age limit to apply for Emirates? I heard several times here and from other sources that 35 is the maximum age. I do indeed know some people from this forum who got hired at age 31 or 32.
But last week I saw an online ad on a local website, posted by the recruitment agency, where they look for people aged 21-28.
That really discouraged me.
Anything you may know that can help me with my question?
Thanks!

BUTTER-FLY
13th Aug 2010, 12:14
Thank you Pura Vida,
The problem is that, you know, waiting is very stressfull, I´m a possitive person but I cant avoid thinking in something wrong, Ive been reading lot of different histories about many people in this situation waiting from 1 to 8 week with positive and negative result, and you never know what is going to be yours,,,:rolleyes:.
well, I must continous waiting and be patient, I hope go with you and the others this time.......!!!! Gracias de nuevo.

Mari
13th Aug 2010, 16:43
Hi ccArg,

I read your post about your concern.

Well, I know that there are agencies with the age limit of 27 or 28. Are they really strict on that? Is it essential to apply via an agency in your country?

There is no official upper age limit at Emirates as you know. They shouldn't reject you if you apply on the Emirates homepage. As far as I know they still hire people who are over 30. (They might have changed the rules but we cannot be sure about that.) I know about a guy who was 34 when started his training in December.

I hope you will be invited for an assessment day.

Good luck!

wuni
13th Aug 2010, 19:50
Still waiting to be invited for the assessment day in Ghana. Truthfully, I did not wear a red lipstick for the application pictures. And my smile is not that wide.

Someone help me. Will I still be invited?

edoble
14th Aug 2010, 01:52
OMG! I just got my invitation to the AD, I'm freaking out!! It will take place in August 26th and 27th in Mexico City, anybody going contact me!

Will let you know how it goes. Wich me luck!

Luckytobecomecc811
14th Aug 2010, 07:06
I applied for preliminary selection on 19th September in Kiev on Emirates site. It is mentioned there that this selection will be done in conjunction with their appointed agency MTGE. Several days later MTGE sent me an invitation to register on their site for pre-selection on 17th,September. I am a little bit confused: do i have to register with MTGE also or just wait for the invitation from Emirates? My application status on Emirates site is "under review".
The second question is that I have chance to attend assessment day in Dubai or during my vacation in Kiev. My logic says that competition in Kiev will not be so tough as in Dubai, since Emirates is not so popular in Eastern-European contries. Am I right?
I have not found almost anything about assessment days in Kiev on PPRune, I quess Eastern-European candidates are not very happy to share information :), so I promise to describe everything in detail about the process in Kiev, if I am invited.:)

ccARG
14th Aug 2010, 07:07
Thanks Mari. That's pretty much what I think: If I'm 30/31 and I still get invited to AD's and even make it to the FI's, I safely assume that my age is not a problem. Otherwise, my CV would get skipped the moment the see my date of birth.
Well, I guess all it takes is trying again and see what happens.
Thanks!

CuteAfrican
14th Aug 2010, 12:47
Hey everyone.

Thanks for all the information here. I've certainly learned quite a bit. I just have a few questions and I hope someone can help me.

First- I'm applying for the AD here in a few weeks and I was wondering what pictures to put up. Should I be in official clothing? Smiling? Made-up or natural looking?

Second- does it matter what I put in my application letter? I've tried being very genuine and happy at the same time.

Third- I've put up three times when I was employed, but I have been employed for more than that. Should I put everything down? And are they looking for more into customer service related experience?

Fourth- did anyone put any references? If so, how many? I know they require at least two from the site, but has anyone NOT put any down and gotten through?

Thanks so much (in advance) for all your help. I am really looking forward to working with Emirates in the *near* future! :)

~CuteAfrican~

Hey there Njeshwings.

Heard that you made it. Congrats!!!
I've applied for the AD in Mombasa in September and hopefully I'll get through.

Do you have any advice for me? It would be nice to know what your entire experience was.

Congrats again!:D:D:D

HiflierEK
14th Aug 2010, 13:08
Hey everyone, been in Dubai for almost 3 weeks now, and its going great. My apartment is fantastic and so is my flatmate and the training is going well the facilities emirates have are amazing, Keep trying everyone you will make it here soon !

CuteAfrican
14th Aug 2010, 13:30
Hi Tik.

I was browsing through the forums and I noticed that you're heading to Mombasa too.

I am also applying and it would be nice to trade advice/info on the application process.

Good luck to you too!

~CuteAfrican~

kenyan85
14th Aug 2010, 16:57
Hey wuni, it's not really mandatory to wear red lipstick, though it's advisable. If you can mimic the look of current Emirates CC, well and good. By this I mean you have to LOOK THE PART. Do your hair, do your makeup, and SELL IT. You wanna look , for lack of a better word , Fierce. I'm trying not to smile here. Get a digital camera, and get your friend to take pictures of you, a closeup and a full length one. Practice, practice, practice. Take as many shots as you can. The more the better. When I was taking my friend's photos, we took at least fifty. I noticed that as time progressed, the subject relaxed, and I got the best photos. The smile has to be genuine, and this type usually comes from the eyes and radiates throughout the whole face. To sum it all up, big genuine smile, great makeup, hair pulled back, GOOD LIGHTING, shoulders thrown back, one leg slightly in front of the other, killer confidence, awesome posture (arch your lower back ever so slightly) and you're good to go. Good luck!

CuteAfrican, welcome to the forum! You sound determined, and sometimes that'll be what tides you through in your quest of joining the company. Yes, you have to be in official wear, and if I were to style you up, I would put you in a nice designer jacket (chanel comes to mind, and you can find lots of good stuff at Toi Market or most of the downtown exhibition stalls), a skirt that reaches slightly below the knees, good heels (no peep-toe, buckles or decorative stuff on these), skin color stockings, good makeup, hair...you know the rest of it. As for the work experience, customer service experience is desirable but doesn't guarantee you a place in the AD, or FI. Don't clutter your CV with lots of stuff, for example you can just put in the details of the last 3 places you worked at. It's important to also note that the job is essentially one where you work closely with other crew so you need to have a personality that is cooperative. Competitive girls most often than not don't fit the cabin crew profile, so think long and hard about this. It's also very physically demanding and you will constantly be tired and jetlagged and thrown around i.e your roster will be subject to change at any time. You will be on horrible flights, the passengers will gnaw at your last nerve and you will be required to take all this with grace and a smile. Are you up for the challenge? Good luck! I sent you a private message.

wheel lock
14th Aug 2010, 17:28
Jesibeth,

You can have a tattoo, it just cannot be visible when in uniform. Unfortunately your wrist is quite visible, I would advise not lying about it! Good luck in your decision.

CuteAfrican
14th Aug 2010, 19:01
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for your responses so far. They've really helped me.

I was reading some of the earlier posts and I came across this FI question. How would you guys answer it?

-- what would you do if the seatbelt signs were on and the aircraft is about to take off, but a passenger insists that he has to kneel down to conduct his prayer due to religious reasons? --

This one is tough. Thanks in advance.

coffee or tea
14th Aug 2010, 22:47
......passenger insists that he has to kneel down to conduct his prayer due to religious reasons? --

The answer will be ...NO they can not conduct their prayer while the seatbelt sign is ON...its basically for safety reasons, and that's one of the aviation's safety/emergency procedures-so they must be obliged with it. However, they can continue their prayer once the aircraft is stable and the seatbelt sign turned off.

florbrillito
15th Aug 2010, 06:36
Hi guys !! anyone with DOJ October 18?? Let me know!! :sad:

Also does anyone know if vaccinations in dubai are expensive much? I mean in my country some of them cost like usd 50, I want to know if in Dubai they cost about the same or if they are over priced?? (because I dont want to spend any more money right now until I get my final "you can resign" email...). And if so, can i get them done in my country after my medicals are approved but before my DOJ??

EkAdelaide
15th Aug 2010, 06:43
Did anyone go to the Open Day in Adelaide yesterday? Share your experience. I was at the last one in May and there were about 75 people that turned up. What was the response like this time?

purelife
15th Aug 2010, 07:13
hi florbrillito!

I think they are more expensive because someone once commented: be sure to have your vaccinations in your country, because they will reduce the costs of this from your payment and so you will have almost no money! sooo I guess they are expensive.. :sad:

what I did: I told them I was still in the process of having them, and they told me not to worry, to upload the form with the ones I did put and In Dubai they would put the rest. So I sent them my form with a few of them, and Im still waiting for the Final approval, if I do get in then I will have them in my home country before my DOJ and when I get there I will show them I had all of them.
And yeah, everything is to much money :(

jes553
15th Aug 2010, 13:22
Hay babe try this link for your medicals
Pre-employment Medical Examination Form.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?8pabzgabc04b94t)

nicole15
15th Aug 2010, 14:19
Hey guys!! Is anyone an EK re-joiner here? I was flying for Emirates for 1.5 years and then resigned about 6 months ago. I actually miss the job and Dubai and so I spoke to EK, filled out all the necessary re-joiner forms....etc last Sunday and have no idea what the procedure is or how long I will have to wait for an answer? Am feeling anxious!!

Let me know!!

PS: Good luck with your applications guys!! xxx

CuteAfrican
15th Aug 2010, 17:36
Hi Nicole15.

Good luck on your re-joining procedures. If you don't mind me asking- why did you resign in the first place? And how was your experience with the company during your time there?

~CuteAfrican~

Mari
15th Aug 2010, 23:24
CuteAfrican, good question! (Although, don't expect much info on this matter: I doubt Nicole likes writing as her first and last post was in 2008.)

They will take a look at Nicole's form: you need to give the reason for resignation. They will take a look at her records: performance and attendance (aka sick days and absent days).

Big number of these resignations occure due to serious sickness in the family. (Which is - in my opinion - the only reason Emirates should accept when they hire someone back. OK, there are the mothers who want to spend one year with the child. Well, I'm not HR and they are not that strict!!!)

They used to be very easy-going with hiring-back people but I heard that they consider some factors now. (I heard, I do not know!) If there is nothing very horrible in your past, re-joining shouldn't be a problem as far as I know.

Very interesting: are there re-joining forms?! I've never heard of things like that before. I thought that you need to attend an open day with the others and you will just sail through the whole process. Although, I think you can join and get your old staff number back if you re-join in 6 months. (Gossips from colleagues, don't believe me: I never asked HR.)

I'm curious how it goes in Nicole's case: let us know more about the procedure and the outcome! It can be useful for others in the future. Actually, this topic came up a few times in the past but you should read through some EK threads. (And I don't remember anyone posting the outcome and significant details. Otherwise I could help you with some gossips.)

Keep in mind, Nicole: you might will be Main Fleet or A380 trained. I read that you were from London, so the A380 would be a better option for you, I guess, or you don't care at all. There is lots of "new" stuff for ab-initio nowadays: I have no idea if you have to go through all this.

Mari
16th Aug 2010, 02:30
I keep an eye of the Eastern-European region (Poland, Slovakia, Serbia, Check, Romania, Hungary etc.) as I'm from there.

There was an OD in Bratislava recently. Around 60 people attended. Guess what: 21 made it to the final. (Never happened before: it was always 6-14 people max. I mean in the last 6 years.) Half of them will be cut but still: it's a big number. Good luck to the applicants!

(For more detailed info about ODs: read back in this thread. They are all the same.)

Very good place to go in this region for the Eastern-Europeans: Vienna. Few applicants. If you speak fluent German and look immaculate, it's a piece of cake. Really. Sooo easy...

BigAl1986
16th Aug 2010, 06:21
Hey guys,

So it's been 8 weeks now since my final interview, and my status has been approval in progress for 6. I've been contacted twice to send more photos and it's been ages since the last time I sent some in....

I'm getting really sick of not knowing and feel like it's just not going to happen anymore. I've called a few times but they never tell me any more than 'approval in progress'...

There's two phone numbers I try but lately neither has been answering:

(I deleted these)

Anyone know of a different number to try?

Cheers
BigAl

Seja
16th Aug 2010, 06:58
Please don't post phone numbers!!!
That is the worst you can do for those who are in the joining process!!!!
Please read back a few posts and there's a very good explanation why this is very bad!!

:=

YELLYBABY
16th Aug 2010, 07:37
I have re-sent photos 5 times. My status has been 'approval in progress' exactly 15 weeks. I logged in a moment ago and it is now 'You will be contacted...".So believe me I know how you feel!!!!

There is nothing you can do but wait.If you want PM me I have emails and numbers that work.

Good luck!

njeshwings
16th Aug 2010, 08:37
cute African,
thanks for the congrats, don't know if i made it really, my status is at approval in progress" since 10th august, my FI was on 7th so am imagining another like months of waiting!!:eek::eek:. the AD turn up is very high. the last one we were 208 guys and only 28 made to the final interview. not to discourage, what i mean is be at your best. alot of advise have been posted here so read over and over again, i read them from 2003, from other forums also, before i even sent a single question. i will send you a PM also.
first step is to get the invitation letter, then prepapre yourself. please try and apply soon since they send invitation letters sometimes early, like our time they sent a month before the AD. after you have your invite, get some nice suits, please don't do a very short skirt, atleast slightly below the knees. those who came dressed in micro-minis did'nt make it to the second round (just an observation) MARI can advise (am in love with her posts really).
our recruiter were Radhah(not sure about spelling) sounded radar hehee, and Hannah. Hannah is very friendly and kept laughing all the time even when answering our questions, but radah is serious looking but nice, actually she came for me on my FI when i got lost at tribe hotel (that hotel has like 20 halls very confusing) anyway. during interview you must show alot of confidence, be brief, eye contact, and a very very good listener. dress also very very nice, check kenyan85 earlier post.the first round is when they get rid of many people, in our group out of 208, they left 40, so you see the task ahead.in short you have to impress them on that day,
On the FI you will be alone with one or both recruiters, alot of questions but they base it on your job experience, i was asked about my current job which is marketing, so you will be asked your experiences with clients and how you dealt with it.Also they ask for photos, letters of current employer, CV copies of your passport all that. check a PM i will send after this to give you me email and FB name, we can chat also if you need to ask anything. please read all posts if possible.

Hiflierek
congrat i can't wait to post something like your soon, please tell me how long did it take you from FI- to when the status changed to "approval in progress to you will be contacted to the golden call, i need to prepare my head for the "lond wait". sorry to ask you alot!!;);)
Nakks
are you already working with ek or you work for another company in Dubai.

Yell baby
:D:D:D congrats again and again, 11th hour i tell is when the GC comes. when is your DOJ?? am so happy for you, shows there is something going on there!

time out!!!!!

YELLYBABY
16th Aug 2010, 11:28
My status only changed to "You will be contacted today..."So no GC yet. I really hope I get the call soon, so that I can join at least in Dec, because the DOJ's is so far away,whats going on?

miyako
16th Aug 2010, 12:45
Hello guys!
Here is Ahmed from Egypt. 07 weeks ago i've had my Final interview with Emirates, although they said that we will be contacted within 04 to 06 weeks they didn't do so far:ugh:
sent them many times on the email adress that they gave us, but i got no reply.
Cann't reach them also over the phone:\ but i can't.
does anyone of you guys know what shall i do then??
any ideas?
Please advise.

Mari
16th Aug 2010, 13:05
Listen: I've never heard about anyone who didn't receive any kind of answer from Emirates! THEY WILL GET BACK TO YOU: you will either get the Golden Call or receive a rejection e-mail. There is no need to call or write: they will let you know the answer sooner or later.

miyako
16th Aug 2010, 13:52
Thank you Mari for that reply! i wish what you wrote is true! as my patience has come to an end.
but i'm just wondering why did they say within 06 weeks if it takes too long like this???

BUTTER-FLY
16th Aug 2010, 14:22
Your recluitment will contacted you at the aerliest!!! OMG, unbeliebale........!!!! my dreams came into reality.....!!!! OMG.

YELLYBABY
16th Aug 2010, 14:30
BUTTER-FLY:Me too!!!I cant believe it either.

Miyako I PM you the details, call them or email, as they said at the FI, if you have not heard anything in 6 weeks, please contact them.

Good luck!

Luckytobecomecc811
16th Aug 2010, 14:49
To Mari!Dear Mari, can you tell anything about assessment days in Kiev or Moscow? I really can not find any information about these countries. I have two options: either Dubai or Kiev and I really can not decide what will be better. Please,advise!

miyako
16th Aug 2010, 15:15
Have you guys ever heard about people who have been approved after 07 weeks or more waiting?
because i heard that they contact people who are approved after 02 weeks from the FI !!!
it will be such a shock if they rejected me.

SLOT17
16th Aug 2010, 15:18
Hello again...
I wrote some days ago worried about my status... My FI was 2nd of August and today my status has finally changed to "Approval in progress". I am aware this doesn't mean I'm in, but for all I've read it's a good sign :) . I just want to shared this information and advice people to be patient. In my case, I had some pending pictures to send ;) and as other people said before, there is no time formula for this and it depends on many things: paper work, how busy they are...

So let's keep our fingers crossed ;)

If anyone need some advice about the interview and the process so far, I will be happy to help. (you can send me PM )

good luck to everyone!

nicole15
16th Aug 2010, 15:25
Hey Mari - thanks for the info, I will definately let you know how I get on as I have trailed through these forums so many times looking for the answer!! So far, to re-apply, you need to contact the cabin crew service centre and ask them for a re-joiner form. They send this to you by email, you fill it out and then email it back with a headshot and full length picture. The form asks questions like why you resigned, what have you been doing since, what have you learned from your other employment since leaving, why should they re-hire you, references...etc. I filled this out and sent everything back last Sunday and now I am playing the waiting game too!

Once lady from the service centre told me that the approvals can take between 1 - 2 weeks and another lady told me 2 - 5 weeks, so who knows? Apparently, you lose your old staff number, have to train again and go on 6 months probationary again. You are also not entitled to your concessional travel during the first 6 months and if you rejoin before 1 year, you do not have to repeat the medicals. It's only been 6 months for me so who knows? If you've been gone from the company over 2 years, then you have to attend an AD...etc and start from scratch.

CuteAfrican, I resigned because an different opportunity came up that I thought I wanted - I tried it and didn't really like it and so now I want to rejoin Emirates again. You put up with a lot of s**t on flights but if you can see past that, it's not a bad job at all and Emirates do look after you pretty well. The night flights and turnarounds can be really tiring so you need to manage your time and sleep as best as you can! Emirates provide everything - accomodation, bills, healthcare, cash on your layovers - Dubai is a pretty cool place to live as well! Lots of expats, awesome bars and clubs, great restaurants and hot weather - (which is great if you are from cold and rainy London like me!)

I don't know how long I have to wait for a reply but I will keep you guys posted as soon as I hear something and tell you the procedures. Am not sure I will have much luck as my record wasn't brilliant! Good luck with all your applications and let me know if you need any answers for working with EK!

xxx

Mari
16th Aug 2010, 17:16
Thanks for the info: good to know these things!

It sounds pretty easy, I'm sure you will get the answer in a couple of weeks.

elmirk7
16th Aug 2010, 18:02
Hey guys , had my Final interview on July 26th and i just recieved an e-mail from Emirates requesting more casual pictures ... sent them today and didn´t hear back from them . it´s been 3 weeks already !
Is this a good sign ?

thanks

shatinho
16th Aug 2010, 18:11
Hi Everybody. This is my first post on the forum, been reading through all the comments for a while though. Thanks to all of you for answering questions and just being super helpful. I attended an Emirates Assessment day on Saturday and made it to the third round. As most of you would know, the recruiters have a strict no feedback policy, but I couldn't understand what I might have done wrong. I reached the group discussion round, where it was only 11 of us participating. Some of you might be familiar with the scenario of the business class guests who were overbooked and 6 of the 8 need to be downgraded to economy class. As I understood, the objective of the activity was to try to solve the problem. Myself and a few others were giving suggestions and possible solutions, but each time we were told by the recruiter to be realistic. The rest of the participants hardly said a word. As you would have it, those of us who contributed to the discussion were cut and the quiet ones advanced to the next round. I've attended assessment days for both Qatar and Etihad and in both instances I got the job, but due to situations out of my control I've not joined either of them. My question to all of you is, was I supposed to do anything differently? Do you perhaps have a better understanding of what the Emirates recruiters are looking for and also what they NOT looking for? I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks - Shatinho :)

Louisan
16th Aug 2010, 19:06
I've done a search and can't find a short and specific answer for this, to re-apply, do I wait 6 months from the date I first applied online or is it 6 months from when I attended the assessment day? As they're 2 months apart, it would be handy to know which date it is.

kenyan85
17th Aug 2010, 07:08
Having attended an AD twice and made it all the way to the end, I think I have a pretty good idea of what happens. The recruiters are trained to study body language. Everyone in the group unconsciously takes on a role, unbeknownst to them. There is, more often than not, a leader, an initiator, and many followers. Sometimes you either have it or you don't. You can fake it and be demure and quiet during the group discussions but your cover WILL be blown during the Final Interview. Personality is hard to change. Sometimes I think you either have the qualities of becoming cabin crew or you don't. That being said, I would advise you to brush up on your listening skills, initiative and cooperation. Good luck.

Louisan
Six months from date of AD.

njeshwings
17th Aug 2010, 07:48
my status has changed this morning to ... You will be contacted by your Recruitment coordinator at the earliest,..:ok::ok::ok: am so over the moon! need to repair my phone!!! hehee

NAVELO
17th Aug 2010, 10:44
Hi All !
It has been two weeks since my FI in Belgrade and my status on the Emirates Group Careers site still just says APPLIED. It has not even changed to Approval in progress. At the FI I was told my file is complete and I don't need to send any more papers or pictures. So I was just wondering what is going on. In some of the posts here I read that people who had their FI almost the same time as me and needed to send more pictures have their status changet to approval in progress. Hmmmm :confused:

CuteAfrican
17th Aug 2010, 13:51
Njesh- I told you so :)

Hopefully I'll get to meet you in Dubai. You'd better let all of us know exactly what goes on ok??? Congrats again. I know you're probably over the moon, and I'm happy for you.

I'm excited too I spent the entire day looking for a suit for the pics and the interview that it was a miracle I found one at the last store I went to. I went to Eastleigh, all over town, all the Mr. Price, 4u2, all the Woolworths, Truworths... Haki I was exhausted. I even went to Nakumatt and Chum and Tusky's but nothing! Then I went to Identity and at that moment I was so not amused! Haki I was praying and hoping... and there it was! :D

Plus (for those of you in Nai planning to head to Coast) all 4 chains are having a 40% sale so I got like almost 5k OFF!!!

For men it's cheaper since a trouser originally costs 1200. So you can get a really really hot suit for less than 3K if your budget supports it.

I'm SO EXCITED!!! I cannot wait!

Ella2000
17th Aug 2010, 17:40
Hello,

first of all congrats to all new joiners and good luck to all people waiting for GC and wannabes preparing for their OD.
Special thanks to Mari for keeping us updated!!!

to shatinho: I do not either what is the trick. I attended 4 OD for EK throughout the years and I was always deselected at the same point, after group disscusions. As I was getting older, my English improved and so my interaction did. From little shy girl who hardly said a word to a self-confident (still) young lady who is able to express herself in English like in her native language. I have read all the posts, many forums, I know exactly what to do and still I am not succesfull... I has to be my body type they do not like or I do not know...

When I read about the people who made it and let it go after a month, after a year or they even do not join after being approved, I am always sad and do not understand why. I do understand resigning for some serious reasons but sometimes it seems like vagary. So people, you who are so lucky to get in, do not hesitate to join your airline and stay there as long as you can because it is such a gift that you were chosen.
... sorry for being a little bit sentimental

kenyan85
17th Aug 2010, 20:12
Hi there how are you?

I read your post and felt that I should write back. As you said yourself, you have developed over the years and have worked on what you need to work on. You keep getting eliminated after the group discussions right? Could this be the very last group discussion?

I know it must be very frustrating to be so near yet so far. I also felt like that last April. Twice made it to FI, twice being the only male, but I still got rejected. Yes, some people take these chances they get for granted, but that's just human nature. You don't miss your water 'til its gone. It's so hard to be grateful for things that are acquired with no effort. It's only when one loses them - getting fired, resigning for flimsy reasons - that one realises that they let go of something so precious. I applaud your perseverance.

One other thing I realised is that when we stop wanting something so bad, we get it effortlessly. Maybe it's time for you to loosen your grip on the Emirates dream ever so slightly. You might be suprised that when you let go, you will eventually get it. If you have watched The Secret, you will understand what I'm talking about.

I don't think it's your body, in all honesty, that is an impediment to getting into Emirates. Something you will have to learn is that you should never change who you are to fit into other people's expectations, because you will experience momentary satisfaction that will be soon followed by bitterness because you're not genuinely happy. I believe your time will come.

I don't want to spew out another cliche (I'm gagging as I say this) but everything that was meant to be will be. Don't take life to seriously, and before you know it, you'll find yourself in Dubai.

Now for the practical advice hehe - work on your listening skills, relax more when around people, and increase your patience and pressure threshold by looking for a part time job as a waitress, customer care operator or any job where you get to meet lots of people. Believe in yourself, work on what needs working, and even if Emirates doesn't take you, another airline will. And at the end of the day, you will have improved on your personality and life skills with or without acceptance into Emirates.

Good luck!

shatinho
17th Aug 2010, 21:26
To Kenyan85 and Ella2000, thank you both for your replies.
Kenyan85, I'm certainly going to take your advice and ensure that I've improved on those areas by the time the next AD comes along. Its strange because many people I meet ask me am I crew, when I reply no they usually tell me I should be because I fit the profile. I don't mean to blow my own horn, I just wish to emphasize my suitability for the job. Once again, thank you for your response.

Ella2000, I think a lot depends on the recruiters on that day. They are human and might or might not notice our potential. The fact that we make past the first few rounds is proof that they see something in us. I was told at the AD by one of the other participants that there was a lady who went for 6 AD's before she made it through. I admire you for your perseverance although, I must agree with Kenyan85, as soon as we ease our grip on this dream and stop chasing it so hard, it will come to us.

Our time will come :ok:

Ellen W
18th Aug 2010, 04:12
Hi everybody this is Ellen. Just wanna know if there's anyone joining on the 30th this month or some day around??? :-)

wuni
18th Aug 2010, 04:31
Congrats to all who had their gc and goodluck to those waiting.
Ghana assessment days are on saturday and sunday and yet still my status reads applied.

No invitation yet. Do I really have hope to be invited because is just 2days for the first assessment day.

Really want this badly.

purelife
18th Aug 2010, 05:08
Kenyan85: I LOVED your post directed to Ella2000, my mom talks to me all the time about The Secret! Really really nice :ok:

Ella2000, girl I honestly belive that God has a plan for everyone of us in this world, maybe it's not the time for you to join Emirates, im sure God has something better for you (you probably still don't know what it is) but trust me...if it's not happening for you, don't feel sad.. everything happens for a reason! ;) Wishing you all the best!

jes553
18th Aug 2010, 05:13
I had my final interview on the 20th of July :).
I received an email about tattoos shortly a week after it's been now 4 weeks and one day:) not counting or anything and I cannot log into emirates web site. In big red writing it says you will be contacted by your recruitment coordinator by the earliest yay omg yay :) :) :) :) I'm so over the moon. Hopefully their contacting me for a good reason best of luck to all those waiting if you have any question regarding anything just pm or post I'm happy to answer :)....... :)

YELLYBABY
18th Aug 2010, 06:27
I know there is no time formula, but how long will this phone call take?Any ideas or personal experiences someone would like to share. I have been waiting 15 weeks for my status to change.

Congrats jes553!!!

AnneeBubbles
18th Aug 2010, 08:35
Hi Yellybaby - I got my call 2 days after I got locked out of the account with the 'you will be contacted ... ' message. Fortunately, everything was lightning quick for me from open day to final interview to getting my call. I never saw the 'Approval in Progress' status. You'll get your call soon :)

Hi Jes553 - Congratulations! You'll get the call soon too.

Maybe you'll both have the same DOJ as me. I'm excited for you both!

YELLYBABY
18th Aug 2010, 09:01
THANKS FOR THE REPLY!
When did you get your call and when is your DOJ?

AnneeBubbles
18th Aug 2010, 09:12
I got my call last Thursday in the afternoon. My DOJ is 29th November. The officer initially gave me 22nd November but I asked for a later date and she said 29th is the latest and probably last induction group they're taking in this year.

I could finally log in to the candidate portal after being locked out for 5 days so don't stress if you don't get immediate access to your account after your call.

AmandaUC
18th Aug 2010, 09:17
Hey Jess, we would've been at the same open day in Brisbane on the 17th of July! I'm in the same boat as you... also blocked out of my account and big red letters saying "recruitment officer will contact you at the earliest" YAY for us! Just hope our GC comes really soon hehe :ok::D

Just wanted to check one thing with you... have you already received your email about the medicals? I only ask because when I read through this forum I get the general idea that you first get your GC and then get your medicals sent to you via email, just checking because I haven't received any medical forms yet thats all...

Keep in touch, we may start at the same time!!! :eek::)

Annagenevieve
18th Aug 2010, 10:14
Hey Amanda, I was at the same interview. That email with your details and logins can take a few days to come. When they give you your GC they will tell you so. It took 2 days after my GC for mine to come, for Luke (the only guy at the FI) it took 4 days.

Congrats :):):)

AmandaUC
18th Aug 2010, 11:13
Thank you for the info! :)

Awesome and congratulations to you too!!! :ok:

I just read some of your posts and you said you had your final interview on Tuesday... I had mine on the Wednesday, did you also have to do the other test/assessment after the interview? I did...scary! haha :eek:

I can't wait to get my GC, you must've been jumping in the air with the great news! My status only changed to the recruiter thing 2 days ago, so I'm hoping it won't take too long now till I receive my GC! :):)

With the medicals... have you completed everything already to get your final approval? And being in Australia was it hard to get appointments etc? Is it just done by your regular doctor and dentist etc or a specific aviation hospital?

Congratulations again and will keep you posted on any news I get soon! Would be awesome if we get same start dates!!! :D

P.s- What time of day/night did you receive your GC? Just curious haha I have my cellphone on loud 24/7 at the moment! :)

miyako
18th Aug 2010, 11:45
Hi guys!Something strange happend with me, as after 07 weeks of waiting any news from EK and many emails i sent and there was no reply! i called them yesterday and told them about that, the lady took my phone number and said she will check!! she called me back and said sorry for the delay!! your application is under process now and expect a reply within the next 03 days!!!!!you guys have any idea about that?? something similar happend to any of you?

YELLYBABY
18th Aug 2010, 13:08
Same with me, my photos was the delay.
P.s What does your status say on the website?

pipita
18th Aug 2010, 13:43
Hi all!! Just wanted to share my experience....:}

yellybaby, my status changed to "your recruitment coordinator..." and 5 days after I received my GC at 5.00 am on the morning...so keep on waiting...your phone will ring soon...

Jess congrats!!!

Hope we can all meet us soon in DXB!! :ok:

I wanted to ask a simple question: As I´m now dealing with my medicals, how long it takes until I receive the final ok????

miyako
18th Aug 2010, 14:28
My status says Under Review!!!!!!!!
I've sent my pending photos more than 03 times
shall i try sending them again!!!

purelife
18th Aug 2010, 16:26
@miyako

Hi!! well, first I am really sorry you have been waiting so long :sad: but I have to say that what happend to you is a good sign, that fact that they called you back and told you you will get an answer in the next few days is not what I heard that happens to people that get the rejection email, normally what I have read is that when people call to ask for feedback they tell them they will recieve an email and that same day they get the rejection email, so wow! they called you back, apologized and everything... it is weird, but I think you are in a good track...let's hope ;)

@pipita,

It all dependes, some people it has been less than a week, others 3 weeks or more... the waiting is terrible!:(

Alltheravens
18th Aug 2010, 17:52
Hello everyone.
I’m currently waiting for my GC., so in the meantime I’ll write about my experience with my OD. I want to thank all of you who were kind enough to share your knowledge as I would have never been able to be prepared for awaited for me that day. *hugs*

Open Day Panama July 31st.
Saturday, 9 am. Attendance 120 people.
We were called into a room where two lovely female interviewers received our CV’s and gave us a name tag with a number. We were then shown a few videos on Dubai and the airline and then proceeded to a question and answer session.
We stepped out of the room for a 15 minute bathroom break while the interviewers rearranged the chairs and divided us into 2 large groups. Already at this stage there were at least 10 people missing; some because they were not 21 yet, others because they could not spend the whole day there, others might not have been too interested in the job.
The interviewers told us to ask the person on our right what they would do if they were invisible. Meanwhile we had the arm reach test while they asked what we did for a living and how long we had been working.
One by one we stood up and the interviewers asked to tell them what our companion would do if they were invisible. Then they asked as a group to discuss 5 places we would recommend visiting in Panama if the interviewers were tourists.
After this, they gave us our “congratulations”, or”we are sorry” letters and then went out for lunch.

3 pm Attendance 60 people
After coming back from lunch we took an easy English test consisting of a few multiple selection questions and a written essay. After correcting the exams we got our respective “congratulations”, or ”we are sorry” letters.

5 pm Attendance 45 people
We were divided into 3 groups, each group had 15 minutes to discuss 5 items and 5 professions we could send in a space shuttle to a new planet if earth were destroyed. My group behaved pretty well, although a couple of members were too dominating and a little bit rude to the rest of us. Then we got our letters.

8 pm Attendance 15 people
This was it! We were told we had passed and were hired. They gave us a list of all the things we needed to bring for the Final Interview including some paper work that had to be filled out in order to get our visas.
Since I have been reading this forum for a while, I knew what documents the interviewers would need for my FI. I had them all neatly arranged in a folder for them to revise, and I even got congratulated for being so organized!:

Visa paperwork
6 passport size pictures (smiling, red lipstick and no earrings)
2 full body Business suit pictures
1 Casual full body picture
1 Casual close up picture
1 proof of employment
Letter of employment
Copy of Certificates
2 Color photocopies of passport
Remember to have 2 referees (who know you professionally and once has to be a boss or supervisor) and their contact numbers as they will ask you to provide this information I one of the forms.Among the questions they asked me:

Tell us about a time where there was a conflict situation at work and how you handled it.?
Tell us of a time when you went out of your way for a client?
Tell us of a time when you went out of your way to help a coworker?
Why the career change? Congratulations to all of you waiting for your GC, and I wish to those on your way to an OD, or AD all the luck. I have tried to write all I remember but if anyone has a question, please just pm me and I will gladly answer back.

By the way, are any of the panamanians who went to the OD with me here?? I forgot to ask them for their email to keep in touch!

wuni
18th Aug 2010, 21:17
[Text speak]

Mari
18th Aug 2010, 23:25
ALLTHERAVENS, your short and straight-to-the-point post is highly appreciated. (I just copied it to a non-English forum.) Excellent first post! (Some people do read! Thank you!!!)

Jess: I knew it!

Yellybaby: someone in the office must love you! They really really wanted you to pass! You must have been fantastic during your interview! I knew it!

Congrats to all!

Wuni, I'm not really an Africa-expert but I know (read it here) that there are lots of applicants in Africa. There is a chance that you will NOT get the invitation simply due to overwhelming number of applicants.

Well, I don't want to mislead you: I have "gossips" from my friend. She's Eastern-European and lives in London. She applied for an Emirates OD in Spain, she got invitation for a London AD. ("faliled to attend"). Then she applied for a London AD. She got invitation for another date (not for the day she applied for), she couldn't go. ("failed to attend"). She applied again and she's hoping for the inviation for the date she requested. (She applied for an AD which is on 1st September: no inviataion yet. But: there is another AD in London on 8th September but she's going home for vacation to our home country, she'd rather attend the AD on 1st.)

I think you need some LUCK.

lchgmabc
19th Aug 2010, 01:32
[Text speak]

Mari
19th Aug 2010, 02:33
Post for applicants, not for "waiting for my Call" people

There is a non-English forum which I often read and pick up some info. (Founded by an Etihad crew, a Qatar crew and me - not English. Location: Eastern-Europe.)

I read a very interesting post a week ago. One of the candidates wrote a 9-page-essay about her experience including her absolute excellent full-length photo.

(That's not the point, the point is that after so many terrible photos I've seen in the past two years there was ONE who made it! After a failed Emirates OD and 200 shots but made it!So, the picture was not "it's OK" or not "it's acceptable, don't worry" but excellent, absolutely fantastic!!!)

Her final interview was nothing like I've read here or on other forums before!

The reason for this 90-minute-long interview could have been her very young age (21) and that her FI was in the morning. You won't believe but her questions were:

- a scenario when you were used out (is it the right word?)
- when you reached the point of your patience
- when you had to obey the rules
- when your senior did not appreciate you
- when you helped someone who didn't ask for help
- an angry customer and how you handled the situation
- the worst day of your life
- when you felt sorry for someone and helped her/him
- what happens when you cannot do something perfect
- a task which you were not able to complete and passed the responsibility to someonone else
- you marked in the test that you don't trust people easily. Why?

Yes, so many!!! (Sorry, I had to translate the questions into English.) She didn't remember any other questions but the interview was very long, she said. (All photos and documents were there: very well organized, the recuiters seemed to be very impressed.) She took with her 5 casual photos, they chose two. (They chose those 2 which were the best according to her, as well.)

Summa summarum: many questions! I've never heard before about more than 6 questions and interviews usually last 30-50 minutes.

I thought I'd share this info with you. I'm curious about the outcome. I think I will post it (with this original post) if she receives the golden call.

Her photo and grooming was really just amazing! Well: perfect! (Beautiful smile, 173 cm, 54 kg, very pretty. Fitted black suit, white shirt. Waist and both legs visible.) When I saw the photo I thought: OK, that's what I'm talking about! From the recruiters: "that's what we are exactly expecting when asking for a full-lenght photo". (They were blown away.)

She didn't admit her first EK attempt on the form. (It was only 5 and a half month ago, not 6 months!) Although, I advised her to admit it because one of you wrote on pprune that they are not that strict on the dates: clear explanation of being so perfect.

I think the recruiters got suspicious. I wonder what the result will be.

She was well-prepared: read everything, many posts about ODs. She did her homework, no doubt! But you need to bring your OWN personality as well!!! Did she manage that? I don't know. We'll see...

By the way: I think she makes it.

Oh, yes, it was the Bratislava OD, I wrote about it before, read back if you are interested. (So, it's not like Asia or Austalia or Afriaca! Africa, Asia: too many applicants, too many pretty people. Australia: they are all well-prepared anyways. Europe and UK: I totally believe that you can make it if you are prepared, young and not fat!)

Mari
19th Aug 2010, 03:08
Alltheravens,

your interview was in Panama City and you mentioned the US visa papers, right? (There is NO required visa when attending an OD or AD for Emirates. I totally assumed that you were talking about the US visa. Am I wrong?) Just to be clear. Thanks.

jes553
19th Aug 2010, 03:43
Hay babe I was in the same situation,
I rang they told me that with in 3 days to check my email or I will receive a call....
And with in 48 hrs my account was blocked and stated in red that, "you will be contact be your recruitment coordinator by the earliest". It's been 4 and a bit weeks since my FI.. Hope this helps :)

Yay I'm so dam excited... I hope we join together :) how things going with your meds?

jes553
19th Aug 2010, 03:53
[Text speak]

Biotech
19th Aug 2010, 05:08
@Jes553

At last!!! I am so happy to hear it!!!! Yeaaaaaaahhh you will get your GC soon!!! Let us know soon when is your DOJ.:ok:

@Njeshwings

Congrats !!!!I am so happy to hear that someone else is joining "the family"
Maybe we will see each other in DXB!!!:}

@YellyBaby,

Congrats to you too!!! I can imagine how distress you felt after waiting all those weeks!!!:uhoh:

@AnneeBubbles

Congrats for you too!!!!

@Kenyan85 / @Ella2000/ @shatinho.

I read and loved your post. 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.' Maybe that was not the time, but the time will come. I know for sure, for those who hope, who believe and dream. In argentina there is a saying that i believe it is universal "If you fall 9 times you should get back on your feet 10 times.":)

@Florbrillito

This is where you can get vaccinated for Yellow Fever Free
Buenos Aires, Ingeniero Huergo 690, San Telmo; T.E.: 43431190.:8

kenyan85
19th Aug 2010, 05:45
Hey wuni, how are you? Seeing that you haven't gotten your invite, I think you should straight away apply for the mombasa AD. I think a return ticket would cost you around 550 british pounds (comes to around 1250 cedi) but I would advise you to apply first and wait for an invite BEFORE making travel arrangements. I'm not religious, but it would help to pray, you just might get an invite. All the best. Tik, you have at least 3 weeks to the AD so just keep an eye on your email and EK account. All the best to you too. Mari, you're so right. I'm a former model (hehe) but thank goodness I have a personality to go with my 'fair looks', so that might be the reason as to why I made it all the way to the finals. It's true that there are SO MANY beautiful women and a few handsome men during the Nairobi AD, but unfortunately most of them think that their looks will tide them through to the finals, and they appear standoffish and more often than not, you can pick up on their bad attitude a mile away. The recruiters need more than just looks. You need to have a PERSONALITY! Biotech, thanks for the thought! *smile*

Seja
19th Aug 2010, 07:01
Hello Everybody,

Just a few information maybe you are interested:

-My interview took more than 90 minutes, also in my opinions quite a lot of difficult questions

-I got immediate reply after final interview, but had to resend my pics 3 times as well

-After finishing my medicals (the portal said: thanks for uploading, medicals are now complete etc..) I haven't heard back for 3 weeks or more. I sent a query on the portal, no reply. I tried to call them, didn't get through. I sent several e-mails, and finally they replied, saying that some of my medical test have to be redone and one document was missing (but it was obviously uploaded)

-I got the confirmation to resign. I resigned at the same day, loaded the confirmation of resignation up on the portal, and again, the status (until today) was: in progress.... They said I haven't uploaded the file, but I did, and the portal said again: thanks for uploading your confirmation letter of resignation...

Jajajaaaa.... this is a quite nerve-racking as I am still afraid something goes wrong in the end....

Now I have one more question: What is this about with the email concerning tattoos and uniform standards that some of you are talking about? I have never heard of it before, but must also say, I had my FI on the 3rd April, maybe this is new?

Now: anyone with the DOJ November 1st? I'd love to get in contact with you!

Good luck to all of you!!!:ok:

NN2010
19th Aug 2010, 08:02
[Text speak]

njeshwings
19th Aug 2010, 08:24
wuni,
am not trying to kill you here, but if the Ghana AD is this coming sat, probably you are not lucky this time, you can drop your CV to the recruiters though. however, the mombasa AD you still can apply, sometimes they send invites up to 10 days before the day. i had applied for kampala, then two or so weeks later they advertised for Nairobi , applied too, and the status in both was applied. so please if you can travel to nairobi, go ahead and try, (someone else can confirm this please) the only warning i have is like kenyan85, please don't travel if you don't have an invite because they will not even listen to your story.
bitech, thanks am looking forward to the day, and the new family.

Mari thanks for loads of help to us.

AnneeBubbles
19th Aug 2010, 08:49
Congratulations again! It'll be great if you and others in this forum are joining on the same day as me. No one else has DOJ for 29th Nov so far.

I'm trying to organise my meds now. Have to book in to see my optom and dentist and GP. I double checked the documents downloaded off the link you gave me and they're the same as the ones in the candidate portal so maybe you want to get started on the meds too.

@ biotech - Thanks for the congrats :) I'm amazed that I made it through the open day and final interview.

NN2010
19th Aug 2010, 09:29
Jes553 and AmandaUC: Thanks for the fast respond. Really hope that I will recieve the GC soon, i'm so excited. I see that you two are in the same position as me. Congratulations to you too, and maybe we will join Emirates together, would be so great :-))

leogemetro

Hey what happened, did you recieve your GC???

AmandaUC
19th Aug 2010, 10:27
Cellphone sim cards... which is the best provider/option once in Dubai as I doubt our own countries sim card will be cheap to use? And is a new sim card easy to obtain in Dubai eg. can you get one at the airport once you arrive or best to obtain one online before leaving?

Any help/ information would benefit all of us new-comers leaving to Dubai soon :ok:

Thanks in advance :):):)

miyako
19th Aug 2010, 10:57
I called EK today once again!! and by coincidence the lady who interviewed me pick up the phone!!! i told her the whole story and how long i've been waiting!! she called me back guess told me what?
she told me that her colleague has my file and since my interview she didn't get back to dubai yet!!
she requested another week before she calls me again to tell me what's going on!!
another week? my godness i think i die before this!!:{
pray for me guys

Annagenevieve
19th Aug 2010, 11:14
Hey AmandaUC,

I didn't have to do the test after the assessment =) Yesss its very exciting, I have only JUST completed my medicals, and while they all came back as fine i don't pick them up until Monday (so I am scanning them in straight away, as you only have 2 weeks from when your portal is opened to complete your medicals). I actually had a hard time downloading my medical forms off the portal so a nice girl from on here emailed them to me, if you have the same issue let me know and I can send them through (or if you want to see what you will need before you get in the portal PM me your email and I can send it now :))

I live in Central Queensland so there isn't an aviation medical facility here, but on the portal it says a normal doctor is fine (so that's where I went). It seems as though they do all the tests again when you get to Dubai so these are just a precaution to make sure you dont fly alllllll the way there only to be rejected :p

Yes! Let me know your start dates! I fly there on the 1st of November and start on the 11th. My GC came about 1 hour after my status changed to 'You Will Be Contacted' (but i am the only person I have seen on here who this has happened SO FAST for, so dont stress if it takes them a while to get back to you). My status changed at 7pm and i got my GC at 8ish! Luke guy his around 11pm so it can come at any time!

Keep us updated, and CONGRATS! :O

Alltheravens
19th Aug 2010, 13:11
Ichgmabc and Mari
The interviewers were both female, but I don't know where they were from. The visa paperwork (in order to work in Dubai as Cabin Crew, NOT the American visa) will be provided by them at the end of the OD so you fill them out and have them ready for your FI.
I'm glad you have found my post helpful :). I know it wasn't short and strait to the point haha, but I know what it's like to not know ANYTHING. I had to travel to Panama for my OD so I was happy to have all the papers I needed while in a foreign country.

AmandaUC
19th Aug 2010, 13:29
WOW you really are lucky!!! :) I wish mine went that fast haha and even luckier that you did not have to do the 2nd test after your FI!!! :):):)

Yes I will definitely let you all know when I get my GC and start dates etc! CANNOT WAIT hehe :):eek::)

Ok that's good to know that you can just do it at the doctors, I will PM you too because all the info I can get now- the better :)

Thank you so much for the information and getting back to me, really appreciate it and hopefully get to start same time!!! :ok:

ThatRedHatGirl
19th Aug 2010, 13:42
Mari, I also had most of those questions. If I recall, interview went for 65minutes. She wanted to talk more but knew the next girl had arrived a bit early.

As I remember, it was 10 days from FI to GC. So exactly within the timeline they gave me, though in other countries it varies. People understand that the recruiters sometimes go straight back to Dubai (quick response) or go to other countries to conduct more OD/Ad (response take longer)

CuteAfrican
19th Aug 2010, 15:08
Hi njeshwings!

Congrats again! :ok: I'm happy for you. I'm also quite excited myself- yesterday I was walking through a hotel here in Nairobi and I saw a whole group of Emirates Cabin Crew dressed in their smart uniforms and I was quite impressed. :) I think they were on a flight back to Dubai since they were leaving.

I just had a question- I applied for the AD in Mombasa, but I've not gotten an invite yet. I remember you saying that you emailed the recruitment team in Dubai and they responded with an invite. If you don't mind me asking- what exactly did you say? I'm really keen on getting an invite, and I don't want to wait until a week before the AD.

~CuteAfrican~

juanilau
19th Aug 2010, 16:29
Does anyone knows what: OD's, AD's, FI's and GC Mean?? I just applied for cavin crew on the Emirates group, I sent the form 4 days ago, so I need to know everything. plis somebody answer my question!! My best regards for all of us whom are waiting for this life time chance!!

rose gil
19th Aug 2010, 16:35
OD'S....Open day
AD....... Assessment day
FI........Final Interview
GC.......Golden call.....which mean's you made it through

BUTTER-FLY
19th Aug 2010, 16:36
Hi guys, I´ve a little question, should I wait the GC in my cell phone or house phone?.............!!!!!! and how many days it use to be since the status change to Your reclutment wil...........!!!! to the GC....!!!!
Good luck everybody.

The_U.D.
19th Aug 2010, 18:20
Hey!

For the record...interview was nearly 90min long! :)

Anyways...just curious; not getting a personality test to write after the FI, that a bad oor a good thing?

Congrats to everyone getting calls!

EKBarcelona
19th Aug 2010, 19:02
Hi all!

I've been reading a lot of pages regarding what I am to be experiencing this Saturday, all going well, in Emirates OD in Barcelona city.
I want to thank all you that have taken time to write your experiences. I also want to thank Mari especially for being here for so long.

I've even noted down such "small" tips that maybe will make the difference. :ok:

I've been searching the board and it seems nobody here is going to Barcelona's OD. I'll have to be there at "0900 A.M sharp" as they said. I will be there before that, of course.

One question: Apart from taking my C.V. and my whole body photo, what do you recomend me taking for that day? Can I take a brief case with some food, drink and a folder? What do guys take there apart from yourselves?

Thanks for all your help! :D

Biotech
19th Aug 2010, 20:08
@Annebubbles

They changed my DOJ. So we will joining Emirates together! My new one is NOV 29th. Let's wait and see who else will be joining Emirates with us!:}

@Miyako

Don't worry, i am pretty sure that you will get the job and fly even more than Your CV and FI reports have done so far.:ok:

Ella2000
19th Aug 2010, 20:52
Hey,

thank you for nice words and support. I am not going to give up at least until I am 33-34. So I have 4-5 years more for trying (I turn 30 next week lol).
Thank you for your tip of The Secret book. I had not heard about it before. I googled it and I think I know what it is about since my mom is interested in such things between earth and sky. But easily said, hardly done. The same thing with the recruitment.
This weekend I am going to OD for QR, the second one for QR this year and the last OD over all this year at the same time. So pray for me!
The last 2 years have been very tough for me, I need some miracle to save me :).

avogueldea
20th Aug 2010, 03:08
This forum is extremely helpful however I did notice that some people ask a couple of questions and don't tell us what happens after to them which I know is frustrating for the ones who are waiting. So this has been my journey so far with Emirates;

OD: 19th June'2010
FI: 21st June'2010
*I could not track my status because I was locked out of my account about 1 week after my FI.
GC: 21st July'2010
Uploaded medicals: 31st July'2010
Final Approval: 11th August'2010
DOJ: 27th September'2010

I had never attended an open day for any airline before the one I did in June, I did not wear a suit. I wore a simple black dress, nude heels and my hair was tied back in a pony tail. I did not wear red lipstick, I did not look like I already got the job, I looked like myself. I think that is the key to being successful, just being yourself. Of course being dressed appropriately, as it is a professional environment.

It does take a bit of luck and it really depends on what the recruiters are looking for on the day but being yourself and thoroughly enjoying the experience of just being around new people and the assessment day is what I think you should do. Just in terms of the FI, the recruiter that interviewed me asked me very negative questions, every example I had to give and talk about was negative and at the end of an hour I was pretty certain she hated me and I felt really drained. So if the FI interview doesn't go as you planned in your head don't go too hard on yourself. I don't really want to go into much detail because I feel like soo many people already have in terms of their OD/AD so private msg me if you would like to know more about my experience and I would be glad to help :)

kenyan85
20th Aug 2010, 07:41
Glad to hear that you're not giving up! With your determination, I am sure you'll get in in no time. Good luck with the QR OD, and remember to look your best! Yes the Secret changed my life last year. Actually there's a book AND a movie. Watch the movie, it's much clearer (and more interesting hehe) than the book. I have a friend who was accepted at 30, though she looked 25, so don't worry too much about your age, the important think is to do your best and leave the rest to the universe. In my opinion, I've noticed that things work out for me if I let go of the desire for them. Much like falling in love - you can't plan for it. And this is to those guys who pass by this forum in a transient fashion. Please, I know people get busy after joining EK but I don't think it would hurt if you posted your experience once in a while. Remember, what you give out is what you get - give good energy, love and assistance, and you'll get the same coming back to you, like Mari. I don't think she knows how many people's lives she's changed and how long she'll live in their memories! So once you get your Final Approval guys, and head to Dubai, pop back once in a while and tell us how things are going for you! Have a lovely day everyone!

EKBarcelona
20th Aug 2010, 07:53
I for sure will explain how it went. The more steps I pass, the more I'll explain... ;)

One thing I want to say is that I am going there because I would love to work there. But if this OD doesn't end up as I would like to, it's not the end of the world either. This is the spirit I want to go with. I've read a lot, done my homework, etc, etc... I only need to be myself and enjoy it (that's not the problem as it's an aviation-related OD!!)

Have a good day ya'll!

topgun_29
20th Aug 2010, 09:37
I would like to share my sad story with you guys. I applied for EK on March in Paris and I was successful. I had to fly to Dubai on 17th Mai 2010, but doing my medicals, I've found that I'm HIV positive. My dream dissapeared in one second....Before EK I was successful with Qatar Airways... I had open doors to start a new life, meet new people and cultures, start again from the begginingand to do what I like to do, I'm a former cabin crew member, and now I have to deal with this new situation, it's all my fault. Aviation for me is end story.
I think it's discrimination. Why a HIV positive person can not be a pilot, cabin crew or something else???

ThatRedHatGirl
20th Aug 2010, 09:44
Topgun, sorry to hear it.

Unfortunately, the laws in the Middle East are different to elsewhere. There is not really such a thing as 'discrimination' here. The government is the one that has decided that a status of HIV-positive will not allow a residency visa to be granted.

I am not entirely sure why but my guess is that being in close proximity to some countries where HIV is a problem for many people, they want to control the virus by keeping it out of the country. One way of doing this is by not granting visa to those who return a positive result. I suppose as they control their borders it is their decision, sure it may not seem fair but there is nothing we can do to change that.

Perhaps you could try looking for flying work in the countries that do have laws preventing them from excluding you on the basis of your illness. I know in some countries they are not even allowed to ask/test for these kinds of illnesses. So long as you would be careful in the event of being injured at work and taking reasonable steps to be cautious to yourself and others, there may not be a problem. I have heard of crew in say, US or Australia in the past who were HIV positive (I do not know if this was before they were hired, or after, sorry)

Hope whatever you decide it works out for you.

kenyan85
20th Aug 2010, 10:32
Sorry to hear about your predicament. I like the way this forum has started to reflect some humanity - after all, despite the fact that it is meant to provide information to wannabes, we nevertheless need to be cognizant of qualities such as compassion and empathy - these are what make the human experience worth having. Yes, as ThatRedHatGirl said, there is no such thing as rights in the UAE. You check them with your baggage the minute you land into DXB. Sad, but true. I would also give you the same advice - try carriers in Australia (Qantas and Virgin come to mind) or the UK (BA and a host of other airlines). You'll be just fine, but the next few years will be the most defining ones in your life. Denial -> Anger -> Bargaining -> Depression -> Acceptance. I'm sure you're in one of those stages. Once the storm settles, pick yourself up and keep moving. You have no other option but to keep going. I see you achieving wonderful things despite your status, so turn your pain into power. Eat healthy, avoid stress and you'll be just fine *smile* All the best.

CuteAfrican
20th Aug 2010, 11:27
That's quite sad, topgun.

I know that that must have been a blow to your dreams, especially since you were coming from a background of flying. But keep your chin up and hold your head high- you're still a "child of the universe" (Desiderata- amazing poem).

Stand strong and your dreams will come true- Kenyan85 was right- look for other opportunities elsewhere- they may even be better!!!
:-)

Ella2000
20th Aug 2010, 11:31
Ohh poor Topgun,
very sorry to hear this.
ME countries are very strict, they made their own rules (sometimes very "strange" for Europeans/Americans) for their countries and if you want to life or even stay there for a while, you must obey these rules. In fact I like some of them (children oriented families) and I hate some of them (uneven rights for women; can you believe I am not permitted to go to Kuwait or Qatar or Saudi for vacation only because I am a woman, under 30, not married, no university degree?) but back to you

Do not give up, they are many airlines which do not care about HIV (no discrimination) as ThatRedHatGirl wrote.
You made it through all the stages in QR and EK, be happy for it. Even you did not pass the medicals. You were successful. You have the THING they are looking for obviously. And therefor you will be successful next time with other airline. Look at my case. I have medical class I, I renew it every year. So I am absolutely medically fit and for what? I do not want this sounds like blasphemy, I am grateful that I am healthy.
But I cannot fly either. At least at this moment or maybe never.
Fate plays cruel tricks on us. When I only think about not flying again, I feel terrible pain in my heart. I am obsessed with planes, flying and all about it like in this quote:

„When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,

for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.“ -Unknown-

and I cannot live without it. Flying is my only joy in my life. It is very hard to focus on anything else like kenyan85 advised me but we have to overcome it and do not think about it all the time.

EKBarcelona
20th Aug 2010, 11:56
@ Ella:

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
Leonardo Da Vinci

Sorry to hear you cannot fly now, for whatever reason it is!

@Topgun:

Very sorry to hear your story. I feel so sorry for you. I hope the best for you in other airlines! I know you can do it. You've past with other airlines!

Mari
20th Aug 2010, 17:01
God, I had to cry when I saw that post from Topgun... I hope that your family and friends are supporting you. I wish you all the happiness!

It's a lesson to everyone: Even if not every segment of your life is perfect, we should appreciate what we achiaved in life and what we have and take on the challenges with a positive attitude.

purelife
20th Aug 2010, 18:31
I am so so so sorry to hear your story...:sad:
I don't know if you believe in God but there is something I want to share with you:

"Be strong, take courage, don't be intimidates, don't give up, because God, your God is striding ahead of you. He is right there with you, He won't let you down, He won't leave you." Deuteronomy 31:6

You will make it thorugh this hard time. Really wish you the best best of luck. :ok:

Mari
20th Aug 2010, 20:23
Avogueldea,

congratulations to your success!

I believe it's important to bring your personality and be relaxed on the open day: I totally agree with you.

However, I know that I am not perfect. It helped me a lot that I did my reasearch before my Emirates OD many years ago. Not just helped: I wouldn't have been able to make it without it.

You see, I'm kind of a perfectionist (which really doesn't make me perfect!) and I could have been very stressed out without knowing what was ahead of me. It gave me confidence that I knew what to expect. I read that hundreds of applicants attended these events so I was prepared to see a big crowd. However, there were only 40 candidates and I thought it was OK. Otherwise I would have thought: "Oh, my God, 40 people!!! How many are they going to take?!"

I was pretty much prepared for the interview questions and it was really easy to answer, I was calm and cheerful. Otherwise I might have turned red, thinking, panicing, saying "eeeeh..." and "well..." and "sorry, what do you mean?" etc. I might have made a mistake saying something stupid but knowing what they were looking for, I came up with stories they wanted to hear.

I traveled to another country and it was good to have my suit as I wouldn't have been able to arrenge the appropriate look for the FI on the following day. It was also great to submit all the required documents as the recruiters were impressed how "very well-organized" I was. It just gave me confidence and it was a good feeling when they said: "good girl". My CV was short and customer service oriented, I had two references as well: I didn't have to worry about hunting down previousl employers. After submitting all documents and photos I only had to wait, so I went home with the feeling: I DID MY BEST. So, I got the call 7 days later and I left to Dubai another 10 days later. It was great as I was unemployed that time and I wanted to leave as soon as possible.

Good luck to all!

EKBarcelona
20th Aug 2010, 20:45
"Purelife to topgun
I am so so so sorry to hear your story...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif
I don't know if you believe in God but there is something I want to share with you:

"Be strong, take courage, don't be intimidates, don't give up, because God, your God is striding ahead of you. He is right there with you, He won't let you down, He won't leave you." Deuteronomy 31:6

You will make it thorugh this hard time. Really wish you the best best of luck. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif"

And may I add:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." John 3:16 to 19

All the best to you Topgun!

ThatRedHatGirl
21st Aug 2010, 00:59
Ella, I'm not sure if this helps you, but...

Before I was born, my mother was told I'd never walk. They said I would never talk or have a normal life. They advised my mother to finish with the pregnancy and have a 'healthy baby'. My mother didn't listen; after 3 more months I was born, almost perfectly healthy.

Later on, when I first started to apply for airlines, I failed a medical and was told I would never pass a medical. I refused to believe it and researched and asked questions, visited specialists until I found a way to work around the 'technical catch' that was in my way. I only had a problem on paper; physically, I was fine.

Now 10 years later, I am flying for Emirates.

So, maybe now you cannot fly, but keep on hoping, one day it can happen for you. Find something else in the meantime you will love, but keep your dream in the back of your mind until the time is right.

YELLYBABY
21st Aug 2010, 07:29
I just received the golden call, my DOJ is 4th of October!:D
YAY!

Anyone else with the same DOJ?

Good luck to those still waiting.

AmandaUC
21st Aug 2010, 08:38
I just received my Golden Call!!!!!!!! :):):)

I'm so happy! Anybody else with DOJ 11th October??? Would be great to hear from you!

And congratulations to you too YELLYBABY!!! :ok:

jes553
21st Aug 2010, 09:49
Hay gorgeous gal..... Ahhhhh so excited yay just got my call after yours :) wooooo hoooooo and yay we doj the same day 11 th October:) best of luck to all those waiting it's almost been 5 weeks... For me and finally:) I received my GC vie been dying to type this message for so long now....

jes553
21st Aug 2010, 09:51
Congrates babe I just got mine as well my friend Aylin is joining the same day as you;) how exciting best of luck with your medicals :)

SAekGN
21st Aug 2010, 10:13
Hi Girls n Guys

I joined Emirates in March and had my interview in Jan. Many of the candidates from the second interview made it to Dubai with me. I am now staying with one of the girls from my interview in a beautiful accommodation in Al Barsha.

My advise to anybody preparing for their interview is to have a positive outlook and go in their with a positive attitude. Also be sure that you really do meet all the requirements they ask for and dont lie to yourself or try to be something you arent because many people dnt make it or resign because they just cant handle the lifestyle change or they come to find out a few months later that the job isnt really for them.

I personally am really enjoying it.. Training college was very intense. Alot of studying and burning the midnight oil but after that came the part where you have to put theory into practise. It is very enjoyable but also alot of long hours, hard work, and working with different people each flight.

I wish all the applicants the best of luck and hope to see you onboard soon:ok:

P.S Anybody attended the Durban interview? Pls do inbox me your experience.. I would love to know how it went.

kenyan85
21st Aug 2010, 10:56
Guys this is so WEIRD! Njeshwings called me thirty minutes ago and I told her that she was gonna get her Golden Call in the next 48 hours and guess what - hardly had 15 minutes passed when I last spoke to her, and she called me back to tell me she got her Golden Call!!! DOJ 11th October. So happy for her!!! :D

tik
21st Aug 2010, 12:43
am so happy guys you cant believe its like its me going ,am so happy foor you njesh,God is so good,we are following in your foot steps.

Mombasa AD here we came,still waiting for an invite though ,has anyone got an invite yet???

Njesh go do your thing.Fingers crossed for all those waiting for G.C,Invites.

AmandaUC
21st Aug 2010, 12:44
Kenyan85- Thank you so much! It has taken me 3 years to get the job! So so happy!!! :)

Jes553- YAY! So happy we have the same DOJ!!!!!!! ;):D

njeshwings- You're starting with myself and Jes553!!! Congratulations!!! :ok:

Everyone still waiting for their GC... the waiting is sooo worth it! Goodluck to everybody else and Congratulations!!! :D

EKBarcelona
21st Aug 2010, 15:07
Hi all!

Just to let you know how it went in Barcelona.

About 15 minutes before starting the OD (it all started at 9 AM) they made us wait in the basement's corridor. My guess of this was not to fill the hotel lobby and not bother the other guests.
We were almost 190 people from many nationalities! I was amazed!

After getting in, the OD Emirates staff made us all sit down and started to present themselves. The two Emirates staff were two women. One Australian and another one from Portugal. The Australian was based in London and the Portuguese woman was based in Dubai. The names were Lucy and Sonia respectively.
One thing I was amazed is that they were not dressed as to their own stipulated dress code. They were wearing trousers! The "boss" was the Portuguese woman. She appologised for not being dressed like us. She excused herself telling us about they had to travel alot... :confused:

We took turns to present the CV and the photo (photos were not compulsory, they said). While this was being done, they put videos in a very small screen and very low... -I doubt the people in the back saw or heard anything- and everyone was talking. Some, like me, were looking at the screen trying to get the information.

When my turn came to present my CV, I went with a smile and a handshake with "How are you Lucy?" She asked me the same and I said "wonderful, thanks!" She asked me "You are Canadian too?" (I'm Spanish and Canadian) I answered (with a smile and looking to her eyes) "Yes, my mother is from Canada..." then she interjected "Canada is a nice place!" I answered, "Yes, we have prairies, mountains, lakes, oceans..." Then she thanked me and off I went to my seat again.

Because there were a lot of people, after looking at the" Dubai's arrival of the trainee" video twice in a row, they told us that those that already gave the CV we had to go upstairs to breath fresh air for 45 minutes while they finished with the rest.

After getting in again, Lucy started talking about Dubai (Sonia wasn't there) and some of the "Do's and don'ts over there in U.A.E. Then she talked about the roles of the F.A's. She then started asking us what we knew about the company. A girl stood up and said some things. Then Lucy asked us if we knew more and then I got up and told everyone (looking at her and the rest of the people that "Emirates characterizes itself of only owning wide-bodied aircraft like the Boeing "tripple 7" -200 and -300 series, Airbus 340-500 and -600 series as well as the biggest and most modern Airbus 380"
She was amazed, so she said, of the knowledge we had of the company.

Later on, Sonia came from another room with a stack of papers telling us she had been talking to Dubai HQ. Then all the blah blah about those that don't make it through this stage were not personal failures, just that they cannot accept more people because of company's rules.

Then Sonia and Lucy opened the doors and started calling numbers to give the "congratulations" or the "regrettably" letters.

I got the "Regrettably..." letter. Some others I talked to before did as well. I personally am not surprised as there were not a small numbers of cabin crew from other companies that joined this OD apart from other people that had titles of cabin crew from aviation schools that were still not working.

So here ends my story. Sad story? Nah! := I am sure I'll have a much better future in store! :ok:

Have a great day!

Sasah
21st Aug 2010, 15:35
Hello

I've been reading all the thread and wanna say thank you for all you guys for many information!
I did my FI in May 31st and because of a document I didn't know they were waiting, I got my GC on July 8th (about 5 weeks later).
I'm brazilian but doing university in Japan. My graduation is in march next year but as I got all credits I need to graduate, I'm going to Dubai earlier.
I wish good luck for those are waiting for GC and hope we can meet in Dubai soon :ok:

YELLYBABY
I got the same DOJ! Oct 4th yayyyy Looking forward to see you there!!

anybody else with Oct 4th???

BigAl1986
21st Aug 2010, 16:14
I start on 4th of October too!!!

Can't believe it's so soon thought it'd be in like Nov/Dec!

:O:O:O

wuni
22nd Aug 2010, 07:05
Anyone who went to the Ghana Assessment day? I would like to know what happened there.

Up till now my status still says applied. I really dont know why.

Mari
is it that Emirates were too busy to look at my application letter or what? At least a response would have been better for me.

Njeshwings
Congratulations. I even sent two emails through the email you provided so that I can be invited but yet still.

Kenyan85
I dont think I can make it to Nairobi after calculating the expenses and so I will rather wait and see the next time they are in Ghana.

Why doesnt emirates recruit in Nigeria? anybody with an idea?

Kirs000
22nd Aug 2010, 09:37
Huge congratulations to all who got the GC this weekend!! Especially those who have had a stressful wait (Yellybaby and Jess - you have both waited with such patience and grace).
I just got the call about 20 minutes ago and I'm still in shock! They had the wrong email address so I wasn't getting any correspondence. DOJ is 11th October - Same day Jess and Amanda!
On to medicals now!

kenyan85
22nd Aug 2010, 17:06
So this weekend I was giddy with joy for njeshwings after she got her GC, and I spent time with my 'significant other' watching this British series called Mile High. It chronicles the lives of cabin crew working for a fictitious British budget airline called Fresh. It's quite interesting and although most of it is fluff, it is quite an eye opener. It's quite realistic when it comes to Safety and Emergency Procedures depicted in the show, and the unglamorous goings on 35000 feet in the air - sick passengers, difficult ones, the ones that sneak quick a fag in the toilets thus endangering the lives of the other passengers, et cetera. It ran between 2003 and 2005, on Sky 1. Look for it at your local dvd place. Great series *grin*

jawid
22nd Aug 2010, 21:02
i got invitation mail for preliminary interview in Emirates Group Head Quarter in Dubai,I apply first time last year on feb,
and again in march and today they sent me Email.
Anybody have same day invitation in HQ?

florbrillito
22nd Aug 2010, 21:50
anybody with doj october 18?? please pm!!;)

Motina
22nd Aug 2010, 22:31
Hi,this is my first post on this forum,i have been reading all the threads and i feel really encouraged now.Jawid...i have an assesment as well on 24th Aug at the Ne Emirates Group Headquaters as well.Whe is your intervie date?Hope its the same day we can meet there.

Anyway...congrats to all those who have made it...you give us hope.
I pray to make it throught to the finals...Just a day to go for the assesment!!!!!

Am Now a nervouse wreck..still awake at 2 am Lol!

Will let ya'll know how it goes...God knows i will need comforting if i dont make it...and everyne on this forum is sooo supportive and cool.

Xoxo...

Jawid ...When is your Assesment day? Mine is tomorrow 24th Aug same location.

Smalltowngirl
22nd Aug 2010, 23:06
Today I got invited to a preliminary Interview on the 28th of august in Vancouver Canada - anyone else?? I attended an open day on the 7th and after reading and talking to some of my friends who are emirates cabin crew they said that the process i am going through is different from theirs. They went to an open day, were invited back for a preliminary interview the next day then Final Interveiw that week, or a week after. I went down to the open day where they told us they would take our information to dubai and reveiw it, then we would be contacted if we were to be invited. so 2 weeks later! before i had like a month to prepare myself for the open day (which i thought was more of a process) but now i have a week! If anyone has gone through this "new" process lets hear about it, and if I will be seeing anyone on the 28th send me a message, we already have something in common! lol

PS sorry if this post has lots of spelling errors, im just excited to even have been asked to the interview!

mack123
23rd Aug 2010, 05:47
Hey edoble
I got my invitation too for the AD for aug 26th, i prevously had an interview and an english test in escuela de aviación México. Anyways, how was your process to get invited to the AD ?

elmirk7
23rd Aug 2010, 11:10
Recieved my GC today at 7:21 am ...
My DOJ is November 22nd ...
anyone else ???

:)

wangui22
23rd Aug 2010, 14:03
Hi guys..anyone with DOJ OCT 4th? I cant download the pre employment medical forms. Can someone e-mail them to me pleeeaaaseee??? Thank You :)

Alltheravens
23rd Aug 2010, 15:19
Yes, it finally happened! I could barely belive it! My DOJ is October 18th.
And congratulations to all the people who got theirs this weekend :D
Now, how do I go about the medical exams? I haven't received an e-mail yet. how long before I receive one?

pipita
23rd Aug 2010, 15:40
Hey!!! congratulations alltheravens!!!

There´s a girl from Argentina that has the same DOJ as yours, florbrillito!

To be able to start with medicals, you must wait 2 days until you receive your email with login and password, from then on you´ll be able to download it, if not, there is a post here that has a link with the medicals you must do.

Congrats again!!!

See you in DXB!:D:D:D:D:D

purelife
23rd Aug 2010, 15:55
After days of waiting finally got my FINAL APPROVAL!!! so excited! :D

Good luck to everyone waiting for an OD the GC or for final approval!!!

Hope to see you all in Dubai!!!!! :ok:

By the way my DOJ is 20th september, anyone with the same date?

Alltheravens
23rd Aug 2010, 18:31
Thank you Pipita, I will wait to get it, then.

PaoloAlzDeza
23rd Aug 2010, 20:11
Hi everybody... as many of you Im also interested in joining the Emirates
This is the very first time this airline will handle a recruitment process in my country. The Open Day is on August, 28th... Im very excited and nervous at the same time.. Even though I have no cabin crew experience, i decided to give it a try... What I would like to know is if it is possible that any of you shares its recruitment process experience so that I can have at least any idea of what to expect and what types of questions will they usually make... specially for passing this first stage of the recruitment process... I have already entered the Web-site and filled the information required... I would REALLY APPRECIATE your help! and thank you in advance to all of you for the shared information... (o^^o)y

aysha
23rd Aug 2010, 20:33
Just wondering if anyone from Lancashire is going up to Glasgow for the OD. Im planning to go. (from Preston) Maybe we can share lifts/hotel? Spilt the price. I don't mind driving. If so send me a message.

Congrats to everyone who got the GC.

jes553
23rd Aug 2010, 21:47
Hay congrats to you:)
Here is the medical link try it if you can't download it from portal...
Pre-employment Medical Examination Form.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?8pabzgabc04b94t)
Hope this helps best of luck..

jawid
23rd Aug 2010, 22:13
mine is on 25th
i was worry about my tattoo but today one of my friend who is working for emirates told me thats not matter if its not showing in uniform,
good luck motina!!!!

missB
23rd Aug 2010, 23:30
Congratulations to the Brissy girls who received their golden calls...hopefully one day I will be one of the lucky ones joining you in Dubai!

All the best and enjoy every second of your new amazing journey!

Sasah
24th Aug 2010, 04:27
Wangui22

I got Oct 4th too :) hope to see you there!

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 06:47
Paolo in Peru,

YOU NEED TO READ BACK in this thread. Read back many many pages! Save the significant info on your computer! You will find some info.

Some of the nice ppruners did share their experience about the interview process!!! Atl least 10 people wrote down the exact dates from the Open Day until the Date of Joining date (in one post) to summarize for the people who are waiting. Well, if you read those, you will not ask "how much time do I have to wait for the...?" (Whatever you are waiting for at a stage...)

You will also find DETAILED posts about the whole process: Sydney, London, Belgrade etc.

You need to speak English, you need a good cv, photos, suit, appropriate height, weight, age, bakcground and the personality. You need to be a bit clever and relaxed to go through the group discussions and answer the questions during the interview.

Here is one of the posts, it's a scratch of the day:

Assessment Day

•Numbers will be assigned to candidates

•Presentation by 2 EK recruiters

•Screening of 4 EK videos

•Information on life in Dubai, salary, training (7 weeks), accommodation

•Q&A

Round 1

1st Discussion:

•Sit in a circle, group of 10 to 15 candidates

•Question is usually finding out something about and introducing your neighbour.

•During discussion (10mins), individual 1 on 1 session

•Reach Test, Short Q&A and appearance check

•Presentation of answers, stand up one by one and address the rest.

2nd Discussion

1st Elimination

Round 2

English Test (1hr):

•MCQ (40pts) Passing mark: 32 (spend no more than 30 mins on this)

•Comprehension (12pts)

•Vocabulary (10pts)

•Understanding Instructions (13pts)

•Interpreting Information (5pts)

•Essay 200 words (No marks, pass or fail only)

2nd Elimination

Round 3

3rd Discussion:

•Sit in a circle, group of 6 to 10 candidates

Tattoo/Scars declaration form

3rd Elimination

Round 4

16PF Psychometric Test (187 questions – IQ, EQ, behavioural, personal, work, social issues)

Validation of personal information

Final Interview date/time

For more details (impressions, opinions, interview questions) read back!!!

CuteAfrican
24th Aug 2010, 07:01
OK- Mari- you are a gem!!!

You're so sweet to give us all this information- for sure I've read all the posts in this thread from 2003 (and I'm still perusing through them for more information), and there are also some other major ones such as ANYTHING having to do with Emirates Applications. (http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/146913-anything-having-do-emirates-applications.html)

Also, on my online application it says "Under Review", so I'm kind of excited-ish. Hopefully the invitation to the AD on September 11-12 will come soon. Tik- has yours changed too?

milliec
24th Aug 2010, 07:08
Hi There! I'm also joing 4th October. Got Final Approval Just now. Sooo exciting. See you all there

Also, For anyone wondering about the iq test / shapes test. I had to do that at my final interview. So hopefully it is a good thing :)

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 08:00
CuteAfrican, I think I need to look up "gem" in the dictionary but thanks, I guess...

Oh, oh, I have new gossips!!! People do get fired after the probation!!! (Amazing, considering that we are short of people and some crew perfectly survived many years with hundreds of sick days before...)

Make sure that:
1. you fill up your book, do your homework.
2. you have no sick days.
3. you have no absent days.
4. you have enough appraisals.
5. you perform accordingly on the graduation day.

Notes:
1. Your book can be easily filled up in 4 weeks. Get familiarized with the book! If you realize that you missed out some signatures from your seniours: FAKE IT! My flatmate was called because she was missing one signature...
2. Do not call sick if you feel like not going to work. If you are really sick, you need to go to the Emirates Clinic. You must!
3. Yes, you can go home if you have 3-5 off days in a row. Do not use your e-gate card, only your passport. If you cannot get back (flight is full), you are in big trouble!!!
4. You need to beg to the seniors for appraisals! Ask for as many as you can! Some of them will not put it on the system as they forget about it. Preferably appraisals without "big trouble". Accept feedback in a positive way and you will be fine.
5. Well, if you cannot handle this job, what to do?! There will be various activities before graduation to make sure that you know what you are doing. Not a good sign if a crew doesn't know the content of the Duty free cart and the Bar Cart and just get confused about all the carts... (It happened: true story.) If you need to be assertive and shout: you need to shout! If you need to be nice and sweet: be nice and sweet. Your knowledge on safety, security, first aid and service will be tested in an interactive way.

All the best!

AnneeBubbles
24th Aug 2010, 08:27
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone confirm for me if the passport size (4.5 * 5.5cm) photograph on white background to be uploaded onto the security section of the candidate portal is one of me smiling or not smiling? Okay to upload a normal sized photo and when they print it out, they can choose the required passport size?

Thanks for the reply in advance!

milliec
24th Aug 2010, 08:39
Hi There, it is the one smiling. I went to a kodak shop and they made it to size and put it on a disk for me. then you have it and can use it later when you need to print a whole heap to take with you.

AnneeBubbles
24th Aug 2010, 09:00
Hi,
Thanks for your quick response. I'm thinking of just taking another photo myself and then resizing it on my pc and then upload it. I figured if they wanted to print it out, they can also select the size they want to print? But then again, I'm only guessing :)

I'll get on to it while I'm waiting on my medicals. Thanks heaps!

AmandaUC
24th Aug 2010, 09:17
I can understand what you mean... I had the same thoughts! If you scan then upload the "passport" size photo onto the security section, when they print it out- they'll have to select the size. I scanned a smaller/passport sized photo onto my computer and then printed it out- just to check if they would actually get it that size also...the answer is no, because it the photo came out of the printer covering the entire A4 size page (which I figured) so I assume that THEY would have to choose the size themselves like you said :)

I have uploaded both security documents however it says that it is still in progress....so not sure if that has anything to do with the photo size etc...

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 09:25
I can see the total communication breakdown between the applicants and the recruiters.

Did you get any insturctions???

Follow the intructions!

If your photo is not acceptable, they will let you know.

The system is overloaded: other applicants have the same problem. Wirte to them!

(I advise everyone to submint ALL necessary documents and photos when attending the final interview. It makes the process shorter.)

AnneeBubbles
24th Aug 2010, 09:27
Hi Mari,

They were a bit vague. Only said to upload a passport size photograph. Nothing about smiles or not. That's okay. All sorted now. Thanks :)

And thank you too AmandaUC. I'll just upload my photo and as Mari said, if they're not happy, they will let me know.

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 09:31
Well, you should have aksed for guideline before your FI OR when attending your FI
Or you can have the perfect photos prepared.

If the "perfect photos" are not acceptable, they will let you know. For sure.

Both ears should be visable. Does it say anything about smile?! Not? Smile, then.

Good luck with the size.

pratu
24th Aug 2010, 09:52
How are you ?Its been long gap to talk to you all.
Unfortunately I have to go back to my home country because my mother in law expired now I am back.Happy to go through all threads.I can see there is cv drop off on 28 august which I will go for please wish me luck.

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 10:22
What does my "mother-in-low is expired now" mean?

Is that anything to do with being a cabin crew with Emirates?

I don't get it...

pratu
24th Aug 2010, 10:46
Actually I did not mean to disturb my career through personal means I have been talking with you and mentioned my problems which you have replied to me.I was waiting to drop my cv since long time but the status was only for arabic speakers.When I checked website yesterday next cv drop is on 28 august which I will go for. thought that you will recognised me so mentioned that I was out of station due to my mother-in-law death.

Sorry to make it senseless.

wangui22
24th Aug 2010, 11:31
thanks for the link!! Hope to meet you in Dubai :)

betheresoon
24th Aug 2010, 12:02
Hi All,
I want to share my experience with you.
The AD was on 22nd August. There were more men than women. we were 52 candidates, 15 were girls.
It all started by the usual presentation about Dubai and Emirates. The names and ref. no tags were giving to us. We were grouped into 4. First two group came in first and i was in this group. We were asked to tell the next person about our dream house then present it to the group. during that, we were called by after the other to do the reach test and were ask some few questions about our cv.

After this we were giving a topic to discuss about Nuclear bomb in Ghana whether Government should encourage it or not and why? then one person was asked to present the group. After our group, the next two groups came in. Then we were giving our letters. I was successful at this stage this time. soo happy:D

15 people were successful for the next stage. 6 girls the rest boys. This stage we did english test. which include essay, grammar and comprehension. All of us were successfull at this stage. We were giving Emirates DVD.

The next stage, we were grouped into two again for another group discussion. after that we were asked one after the other if you can speak other language apart from English, if you have applied for US visa before and were you denied? and any tattoo, scar or birth mark.

after this i was eleminated. i have a scar so i thought it was because of that. so i saw one of the recruiter who is Indian and very nice person going to the washroom. i followed her there and ask her if it was my scar. she said it's not about my scar i was nearly there. i should not give up and i have really done well and try again.:ugh:. I think i know what went wrong so i will do my homework.

In all 10 people are going for the FI this is only on the Sunday. I don't know how many people got to the FI on saturday. I think it's a huge number this time. And i think this time they really want more guys.

Good luck to those going for AD and OD, Good Luck to those waiting for their GC. hope i'll get to this point next time. Congratulations to those who got their GC.

Never give up those of us who were not successful this time:ok:

kenyan85
24th Aug 2010, 12:45
First of all, congratulations for making it that far. It's interesting to note that there were more men than women. Good job once again.

NAVELO
24th Aug 2010, 15:01
Hi all,
When your account gets blocked on the Emirates Careers Site do you get this message :Unfortunately access to this section of Emirates Group Career Centre website is temporarily unavailable . We regret any inconvenience. Please try again later.
or just the site is down and it is false alarm , so to speak

regards

tik
24th Aug 2010, 15:31
Hi everyone,

Navelo i think its a general problem because am getting the same trying to access my account so donot worry i guess.

Congragulations Bethereson for making it up to that stage and not giving up,you will nail it next time fingers crossed for you.

Am so anxious my staus changed to day morning to under review,is that a good sign that i will get an invite for the AD,Cute African fingers crossed hope we get this one.

Pratu good luck to you,fingers crossed

em237
24th Aug 2010, 17:38
Hi all ... I know that everyone is asking for advice in regards to interviews, but I'll take a chance and hope someone answers me!

Three years ago, I applied for jobs at both Etihad and Emirates - these were both my first airline interviews. At that time, I just decided that I wanted a change to my life and I wanted to travel, so why not. Needless to say, I was offered the job with both companies! I have to note - because I'd not been to an airline interview before nor had really used pprune, I didn't know the "rules" of attending open days/assessment days etc., and I attended both interviews wearing trousers, heels with straps (supposedly a no-no!) no professional photos, hair down, no red lipstick, minimal makeup - and was still offered the job (which goes to show that you can make it through even if you "don't look the part.")

However, at the same time I was also offered a job related to my degree and in another country, so I decided to take that, as I would still be traveling and likewise, I was keen to have this chance at a role in the advertising sector and to finally do something related to my studies. I know, I know - worst mistake ever!! But at that time I had a big decision to make and because I hadn't previously considered working for an airline, I had no idea that these airlines were so hard to get into, etc. It's been three years, and I now have this "professional" experience working at a big company. However, for the past three years I've deeply regretted not taking the jobs with Etihad and/or Emirates - it's all I've been thinking about!

My problem: In the spring I attended an open day with Emirates and this week I attended an Etihad assessment day. Obviously, I now know "how to dress" for such interviews and for both wore a pencil skirt, nice heels, blouse, nice makeup, etc. My CV is essentially the same (bar this more professional experience, whereas before I had more recent experience in customer service - however, I still have about 5 years of customer service experience regardless). Likewise, I think that I actually presented myself better now. However, in both cases I was dismissed after the group assessment. At the Emirates group assessment, I was perhaps too confident (but this is because no one was taking ownership of the task at hand, so I stepped in - but perhaps I was too much of a leader in the group). Learning from that, at the during the group assessment with Etihad I tried to not be overbearing, and instead made suggestions, agreed with others' suggestions, and made an effort to keep the group on track. (There were a few girls in the group who may have been a bit over-assertive, and a number of times, I couldn't even get a word in, because everyone was rushing to say things and make their own points, rather than ask the group for feedback etc! I felt for sure we'd all be disqualified but it seems that out of my group, it was just me who was sent away?)

So my question is ... where am I going wrong??? I am just at a loss! It seems implausible to me that I had all the qualities they were looking for one year but the next I don't. (As mentioned, my CV is about the the same, and in my opinion my appearance etc. is better and of course, my personality hasn't changed from one year to the next!) I did mention to the recruiters at both assessments that I had applied before, had been offered the job etc. and have regretted not taking it - on one hand, I know that it means that I will have to try harder and prove I really want the job but on the other hand, I felt that it was to my advantage to let them know - for the simple fact that they would know that I had been offered the job before, and it's up to me to prove it to them again. (Certainly I don't take for granted that I can prove it to them or that I do have what it takes!!) Anyway, perhaps someone has insight into this specific instance or perhaps there's someone who has gone through the same experience as me? I'm really gutted and like I said, really at a loss! And it's just ironic that now that I actually am desperate for the job ... I can't get it.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Seja
24th Aug 2010, 18:34
I have the same problem, can't log in... I am always so scared... I actually got the final approval and I've already resigned, but the portal is always cheeky with me... medicals upload didn't work at all.... now the resignation letter is uploaded but the portal still shows "in progress"...:ugh: but what I've learnt till now: be patient haha...

and to Em237... that is really weird... I was the same like you, I had no clue about how hard it is to get a job with one of these Airlines nor how good their reputation is (now I know and now I am even happier that I made it), I was like you, no Forum like this that helped me, nothing.. The only thing was I was dressed properly and had the bun and the red lipstick on.. but others in my group where dressed horrible and still made it... At the OD's it's definitely NOT about the appearance only.. I think apart of the amazing skills these recruiters have in psychology and what not, every decision is still "human" and while the ones at your first interview saw "that special something" in you, the ones at the recent interview mabe didn't see it... don't give up and try again!!!!! You have made it once, you can still make it in the future!

An experience I made that might help everybody: I realized that they don't like pushy, leading persons... they prefer quiet people who are still attending the whole group action... They hire people to serve not to lead..

:ok:

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 18:51
Em, you are not going wrong! There are more applicants than 3 years ago, applicants are much more prepared than 3 years ago, expectations are much higher than 3 years ago and you are much older and different than 3 years ago.

NAVELO
24th Aug 2010, 19:05
3 weeks after FI my status has changed to Approval in Progress.Finally.:D There is still hope

em237
24th Aug 2010, 19:11
Thanks Mari for your insight. (And thanks to Seja as well for your quick reply and positive outlook!) I guess you're right; the playing field is different now (applicants better prepared etc.) and there is more competition...and perhaps the recruiters are looking for something different now as well. I didn't think of it that way.

Thanks for answering my post. In any case, I will keep trying!

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 19:32
Oh, I forgot to mention something: working conditions are so much worse than 3 years ago!

Em, if you had chosen the airline 3 years ago you would have regreted that you didn't choose the other job and you would have resigned already. I think you are just bored right now and looking for a new challenge.

em237
24th Aug 2010, 19:52
Thanks Mari (again)! Yeah, I agree - I think I am the kind of person who thinks "the grass is always greener" (ie, if I had chosen the job with Emirates I would have regretted not taking the other job!) And I agree, I am looking for a new challenge at the moment! That being said - it's really been eating away at me for awhile and now I feel like I have this drive to work for an airline; the interview really lit a fire in me - I have to ask myself why I never considered this occupation before, as to me it seems like a "perfect fit" - I do enjoy providing good customer service, meeting/working with new people, love traveling. And to be honest, I am quite bored at my current job (and any 9-5 job I've had ... now whenever I am commuting to work I just wish I were on the way to the airport (to work as crew, not for holiday!) However, like you said, if the T&C's are diminishing ... I guess I will just have to have an open mind regarding this job and what it will actually have in store for me - perhaps it will not actually live up to my expectations. :bored:

Ella2000
24th Aug 2010, 21:52
Hi Em,
what I realised during all ODs is that they do not care about perfect grooming, clothing, your preparation (forms, photos, ...). I always dressed, had make-up like being already one of them, I had everything prepared. It was not my intention, I wanted to respect them and follow the rules. But it seems they prefer "inocent", "intouched" people to form them. I read a local forum and there was a girl who made it and now hesitates about accepting the job or not. It seems like she heard about EK at OD for the first time, she does not know anything about living in arabic country, about cabin crew role, she is quite naive... no offense. But they like people like this (at least EK) although they take a risk of losing these people too soon (until expenses are paid). I do not understand.
The next time I decided to go there like I wear everyday, no lipstick, no hair tight back. I look totally diferent when I was not on duty (even my colleagues who spent the whole day with me face to face were not able to recongnise me after work :) - we had very strict rules).
I always try to tell truth, be frank to them but now I think it is better to tell them what they want to hear (I think you lost your chance at the moment you tell them about the past). I try to be honest with every HR I have interview with (about employment), tell them my thoughts, my feelings (my love is aviation and I am proud of it and I am not going to hide it from them) and guess what, I am not hired (well, no surprise). I have to learn how to lie. I do not want to but it is the must.

You made it twice in past, you will make it again. I tried 7x and still nothing. But I am not going to give up. Good luck!

Mari
24th Aug 2010, 22:02
They want to see potential in the applicant.

Of course you need to say what they want to hear! It's just hard to figure out what they exactly want to hear...

Good luck!

em237
24th Aug 2010, 22:48
Ella - yes, that's true; that's the impression I have now as well - that they prefer people who are younger they can mold and shape. Looking back, 3 years ago I was definitely "naive" and clueless - not so much anymore! :) I suppose to an extent this is true for a lot of companies, that if they get people who are young and fresh it is more likely they can shape them to their standards. This is why I am now questioning whether it is my CV that is a hindrance now, plus the fact that I am older ... I'm more experienced in the "real world," less malleable! (Which in reality is not really true for me, I'm quite easily influenced and open to learning new things!)

And Mari - yes that's true, it's definitely a case of saying what they want to hear! It's taken me a couple failures now to realise this! I really am inherently truthful so perhaps this will be a struggle for me ... :bored:

AmandaUC
25th Aug 2010, 06:16
Aneebubbles- Just let you know... I did the same as you, just logged in to check and it now says complete so I assume it's fine (if not- they'll call) I uploaded one of me smilling because it did not say anything to not smile (let alone were there any instructions for this), so I smilled- hope that helps :)

Mari- Like Aneebubbles said there were no instructions and what we are talking about had nothing to do with the FI, this is on the candidate portal- so it had nothing to do with regards to asking for guidelines at the FI...
I agree with what you said in regards that everyone should submit all necessary documents and photos in their Final Interview...I definitely did and hope others do the same!

Goodluck to everyone at any stage and hope to see you all in Dubai soon!!! :ok:

tik
25th Aug 2010, 07:25
hi dear have failed sending a pm but about the message you sent i know thats not a problem as the mombasa ad status is still intact so no need to worry.i suggest you post it here may be someone may have experienced the same.

we have it this time :Dour invites are on the way.fingers crossed

pratu
25th Aug 2010, 08:36
I am going to drop my cv on 28 august in dubai any one on (same date.)

CuteAfrican
25th Aug 2010, 09:38
Also, do you (or anyone else who can help) have any idea where the reference number for the application can be found?

I've looked everywhere on the homepage/portal once I log in, but I cannot find my specific application reference number anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Kirs000
25th Aug 2010, 09:46
It took me forever to find this too. If you log in and then open up any message they have sent you (for example, a "Thank-you for applying" type message) your application number should be at the top of the message. :)

SLOT17
25th Aug 2010, 12:20
I have just read the message: "you will be contacted..."" I m soooo happy.

Also I wanted to share my experience so far:
FI: 2nd August
"Approval in progress": 16th August
"you will be contacted...": 24 August

Thanks for all the experiences ...
Hopefully I will have my DOJ very soon... ;)

ThatRedHatGirl
25th Aug 2010, 12:23
I don't entire agree that it's a matter of telling them "what they want to hear". I finally figured out that is where I went wrong previously. This latest time of going to OD/AD, I thought, you know what, I'm just going to be myself and if they don't like me, too bad. Of course, you still be sensible about what you are saying and how it portrays you but there's no point being completely fake/making things up.

When she asked me why I was ready to move to Dubai, I was honest. I said I ejoyed my current role, however I had always wanted Emirates even before then, aviation is my passion and I intend it as a career not just my job. Also why I thought they were right not to accept me before, as looking back I now know I was not ready but now I am for reasons a), b), c)

Every other time I covered up my passions for aviation and travel, by giving the usual "I like working with people" response.

It doesn't work if you bury too much of yourself. EDIT if you will, but don't lose yourself completely. Give them the parts of yourself you know they will be interested in, that is the trick. This also depends, in my opinion, on the recruiter you get on the day.

tik
25th Aug 2010, 14:18
:oh:Now this is very wierd:eek: ,i hva echecked my mail and i have received an invite for an open day in argentina a place i was never planning to go to until i become ek cc of course.

this is funny:O because i applied for the Ad in mombasa,kenya and my application is under review so i really donot understand.

I hope my invite for mombasa is coming real soon. fingers crossed

shivnandan80
25th Aug 2010, 15:13
Hello everyone,

I am from Toronto and was wondering when the actual open day for Emirates was? On the website, it says that there is a global assessment day on August 28th and 29th, 2010. Is there a difference between an open day and a global assessment day? There is no location for interviews for those two dates. Usually they will give you the hotel that the interviews are being held, but I cant even find any of this information anywhere...not even on the website. I sent my application in online and havent recieved any info about a time and place to go to. All I know is that toronto's global assessment day is aug, 28 and 29. So confusing. Does anyone know anything that would be helpful.

Thank you very much.

Mari
25th Aug 2010, 16:49
See, at the end you figured out what they wanted to hear!

elmirk7
25th Aug 2010, 20:51
[Text speak]

Fbarria
26th Aug 2010, 04:06
Hi ... panamanians in Emirates Airlines ???

KikeBonet
26th Aug 2010, 05:18
Hi Guys!, im Kike and i've assisted the AD in Mar del Plata on July the 18th. Today my status changed into "you will be contacted.." IM SO SO SO VERY HAPPY, you cant imagine. As the friend a few post over me, i'll do the same: my dates was:

18th July: AD
21st July: FI
26th July: My status changed from APPLIED to APPROVAL IN PROGRESS
25th August: My status changed from APPROVAL IN PROGRESS to YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY..." (and i couldnt log in the profile web site)

As you can see, i waited one month untill my status changed finally, i thought that i will be unseccessful but the reality changed into this!!.

Right know i'm waiting for the GC so as to know the DOJ!

I hope you'll get into EMIRATES!!!

Kind regards,
kike

wannabecc
26th Aug 2010, 15:41
I believe the OD days for Toronto took place already. The ADs are for those invited to the interviews. There hasn't been much said about the Toronto OD on here.

Smalltowngirl
26th Aug 2010, 16:03
Hi, i hope i can give you some inight on the canadian process. I have 3 friends who have all made it through the interveiew and are flying as we speak! From what they have told me the process goes somewhat like this:

Open day - open to anyone to drop off a resume and photos, also you learn a bit about the position and dubai, if you are succesful this day you will be invited back the next day for an assesment. Howver for me i went on the 7th of august to an open day expecting to be back the next day for an assesment day but they told all of us that they would be taking our information and reveiwing in in dubai. I waited a few weeks and on the 22nd I got an invite to a preliminary interveiw, which i had to confirm my attendance by email (i'm not sure if this would be the same as an assesment day) I was anticipating that i would be invited to the assesment day which on the careers site says it is on sept. 11th(you can apply to be invited to these online)

again i have not been to any of these days, i was just told to expect this from current cabin crew.

Assesment day - Invite only - you need to be asked back from the open day to come to the assesment day, or invited via your online application. everyone comes in as a line and ask for your information again ans you do the reach test (no point in continuing if this is a tast you cannot accoplish) you will be put in a group of about 20. the recruiters give you a chance to talk to the people next to you and then you must introduce the person and say a few words about them (im guessing this is when they are judging your ability to speak to a room, and what your voice sounds like at a higher volume. also how well you listen to people and how quickly you can get to know them - the reason i say this is because i think it is important to be able to be comfortable with some one quickly because this is what you will be practicing when on board - guests need to feel comfortable with you - the recruiters do this alot so they can tell who has the right body language and how they adress people, which is all part of the selection process) After the introduction you are given a topic which your group is to discuss and then one person presents it to the room. If i recall properly at this point seperate sucessful candidates from unsucessful ones. I think they do this 1 or 2 more times and in the end give Final Interview dates to the people they have selected.

Final Interview - obviously you must have gone through an assesment to get to this stage. As i understand it if you attend an assesment and are unsuccessful you must wait a year to re-apply, but if you only go to an open day you can apply right away - Please correct me if I'm wrong. - In the FI you are asked general questions about yourself and how you would handle situations - " I would refer back to my training!!!" i have read that the FI can take anywhere from an hour to just 20 min - so it depends. also because we are in canada there isnt as big of a need to do the english test, I guess there is a point where they ask you if your 1st language is english. My friends didnt say anything about a personality test, or decleration of scars or tattoos. one did say they ask you if we needed to identify your body what could we use, but thats it.

Then there is the great wait for an approval, the contact, and then the approval of medicals. I think people should also have a look at the medical requirements because you may have everything they are looking for, but if you dont meet medical requirements they will not give you a visa or employ you. this is just as important as a reach test - i just dont think i would want to make it all the way to find out something like my eye status is going to end my journey their - plus it gives you something to read and prepare for while you wait for the GC

So i think keep your eyes open for open days - they advertise them your local paper as well. I hope i have been somekind of help, i just wanted to enlighted you because there isnt much about canadian open days. I do know that after the 7th of august our recruiter was going across canada to do more of the same open days, unfortuately you may have missed that one. But try for the assement day and i wish you and everyone else luck!
and i will try and see if i can find any information and post it - when i was invited to the open day it posted all the ones across canada.

26th Aug 2010, 16:13
hi to all , is there someone with info re the millennium tower ? i was told that i will be staying there . thanks

Smalltowngirl
26th Aug 2010, 16:55
DATE : 16th August 2010 - Toronto TIME : 09:00am VENUE : The Fairmont Royal York, 100 Front Street W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5J 1E3

this is what was on my list of open days to choose from - so maybe it is at the same venue

also on my invite to the preliminary interview (i think this is the assesment day) it said that i need to bring the letter of invitation with me

wannabecc
26th Aug 2010, 17:33
Smalltowngirl, thanks for the insight! Yes the Open Day has already taken place. Usually an Open Day means you can come anytime. However I attended an Open Day once and got there at 9:15am, and my friend and I were escorted out....Aren't open days supposed to be you walk in any time lol.

NN2010
26th Aug 2010, 17:38
Hey everyone, got the golden call :D:D:D:D:D:D:D, my DOJ is 11 of October, so amanda and Jess553 (conratulations :D:D:D:D) we will be joining together!!! I'm so happy, can you pls send me your mails on PM so we could chat, and discuss everything!!!

Alltheravens
26th Aug 2010, 19:11
Ok people, I need your help.

I got my chest X-Ray yesterday and got my report. I need to translate it into english for my doctor to sign and then be able to upload it, and since I'm not famliar with medical jargon I need someone to please send me a scan of theirs so I can do the translation.

If anyone could do me that favour I would be eternaly thankful.:O

purelife
27th Aug 2010, 06:06
Hi Alltheravens!

I don't know if this helps you, but just in case... my chest x ray was also in spanish, and in the english translation they only put: NORMAL CHECK... really THAT WAS IT.. i was scared they wouldn't accept it, but they did! So if you don't have anything wrong and it gets to complicated to translate everything, maybe you can tell your Doctor to do that.

Good luck :ok:

Seja
27th Aug 2010, 06:49
Hey Altheravens, I had a bit of the same problem, but I solved it like this: I just took the words given on the medical sheet from emirates and told the doctor to write it down like this and stamp and sign it, and it was accepted. The words are:

T X-rays from XY are free from any lung scarring or evidence of TB. No thorac Scoliosis (spine curvature) is present.

Good Luck :-)

Alltheravens
27th Aug 2010, 15:33
Hey guys, thank you so much for your help. I will do that and have my doctor sign it and stamp it tomorrow. I'm almost done with all my medicals, I'm so excited!

elsbeth
27th Aug 2010, 19:34
hi millennium tower is one of the best acommodations right now and very popular within the crew and its allocated in the city center! lucky you

Mari
28th Aug 2010, 06:26
EK accomodation- Millenium Tower

Opened up around 3 years ago.

High building. Mixed: male and female cabin crew and pilots.

For cabin crew: 3-bedroom-apartments. Good social life in the building.

Rooms are small but OK. (All same size.) Very small kitchen. Big living room. No road to the building. (Still!) However, taxis are availavable all times. Supermarket is across the street: but you need to take a taxi to get there.

Area is good: close to Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa. Good view. Close to the beach. Around 20-25 minutes from work if you take the crew bus.

Very nice gym, very nice pool. There is a restaurant downstairs and a pharmacy.

I personally don't like it but it's a popular among the crew.

gallery
28th Aug 2010, 07:19
Hi guys

its almost 2weeks to the AD,no news yet have any of you gotten an invite or have you heard of anyone who has gotten theirs,i really want this.

njeshwings
28th Aug 2010, 10:12
i feel so happy to see the people am going to meet on 11th as we join EK, wonder who will be my flatmates.
ANYWAY, someone please help me am having a problem with documents for security! i got am email saying that they have not recieved the documents, but when i go to the candidates' portal, it is saying that they have recieved them. am i supposed to fax them or what is going on?? actually i did not upload them, i guess they must have used the one's we gave out to them on the final interview. is there anyone alse who is going through the same??? PLEASE HELP ME :ugh:

BigAl1986
28th Aug 2010, 13:38
Hey,

Yeah the exact same thing happened to me? I replied to the e-mail reminder saying what happened and attached a copy of my passport and a photo.

Weird?

I prob wont hear before you anyway but I'll let you know what happens :O

CuteAfrican
28th Aug 2010, 16:46
Hi gallery.

I've not gotten an invite yet. I'm planning on emailing them requesting one.

:)

we have to grab the bull by the horns sometimes.

NN2010
28th Aug 2010, 20:39
Hi everyone,
I have a problem, my madicals won't be done in time, so I'm wondering what should I do! :sad: Did anyone have that problem, and what did you do?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed:
Thanks in advance

P.S. Congrats to everyone who got the GC:ok::ok::ok::ok:, and for those waiting, my toughts and prayers for you, just keep your heads up, the call will come!!!

Himmelmat
28th Aug 2010, 21:05
[Text speak]

purelife
28th Aug 2010, 21:55
Hi Nn2010:

Don't worry, it took me like a month to complete my medicals, what you should do is as soon as you recieve a report upload it, so they can see that you are doing it. Good luck :ok:

Hi Himmelmat:

DON'T WORRY. I also did that test, and all of the people in my country who made it to the final interview did. I guess it depends on the amount of people who go to the FI and the amount of time the recruiters have (there are some countries where a lot go through, like 50 people, 20, 30 etc. In my country we were only 11). I did get my Golden call, I leave 20th of september. So not to worry! :=

BEST OF LUCK!!! :)