PDA

View Full Version : Farnsworth - help where can I do it ?

miller45
15th Aug 2001, 23:01
Trying to find a place to do the farnsworth (FALANT) for an FAA medical.

Anyone got any suggestions, can go anywhere anytime ??

Captain Numpty
18th Aug 2001, 22:10
Miller 45

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't anywhere in the UK where you can obtain a FALANT test......albeit I will stand to be corrected if you can. Please read the following which I wrote for two other Pruners sometime ago.....I hope it helps...Good Luck

C.N.

Ok, now for **** & ****** queries regarding us "Colour Deficient's"!!!!!

As for the US AME's response to your query I am, to say the least, somewhat surprised.........please read on my friend, as all is not lost, believe me!

Anyway, in this country for a Class 1 medical, you get two chances.......1) The good old Ishihara Plates......fail these and it's off to Gatwick to do the 2) Holmes Wright Lantern test (HW) which is basically "Last chance Saloon", fail the HW test and it's curtains to a flying career with the added bummer of a night flying restriction as well........believe me, I know!

However, the US system allows you up to seven, yes seven different tests (eight if you include the SODA) and these tests which ARE acceptable to the FAA are;

1. The Farnsworth Lantern test, (or Falant) which pretty much the same as the HW
2. Ishihara Plates
3. AO H-R-R Plates
4. Dvorine Plates
5. Keystone Colour Test
6. Titmus Vision Test
7. Optic 2000 Vision test
8. SODA (or Standard of Demonstrated Ability, or basically a certificate that you must have in your possession at all times whilst flying)

Basically, your testing AME (for the initial Class 1) will usually do the Ishihara plates on site followed by a Titmus test if should you fail the Ishihara plates. If you do fail the Titmus, he will refer you for a Falant test, and other associated tests at a cost of approximately $30-$50, the details of Falant testing AME's can be obtained via the FAA at Oklahoma City Tel; 001 405 954 4821 (option 5) or by the FAA website. You will then be issued with a restricted Class 1 i.e....no night flying etc etc...

Now if you fail any of the above tests, whilst you will have a Class 1, it will be restricted. However all is not lost, as you can then do the SODA, however this must be approved by the FAA in advance as they have to issue the "unrestricted" medical. This does take some organising.

The SODA basically involves going to an Airfield and having RED, WHITE & GREEN signals flashed out you from the Tower at a distance of 1000 feet and then 1500 feet, with a 3 minute interval between each light (I don't know the reason for the 3 min interval). You are shown 10 lights in varying sequences and all you have to do is write down what you see, in the hope that your answer matches the FAA 's inspectors answers. If you pass, he will issue you with a SODA and an unrestricted medical. However, if you do fail, that's it..........NO MORE CHANCES.

Now, a word of warning and some serious advice, whatever you do, if you fail any of the initial tests...i.e. the Ishihara/ Titmus DON'T go off straightway to do the SODA, because if you pass this, you will NOT be able to do the other tests mentioned above. The primary reason for this, is that if you turn up to do the SODA, which is the FINAL screening test, you will have been deemed to have failed the other tests by the FAA Inspector. The Inspector's don't ask you whether or not you have done the other tests as they are only interested in passing or failing you. The FAA currently have no end of complaints regarding this as Pilots who are now SODA's could well have passed the other screening tests and had their restrictions removed had they of known, or been made aware that the other tests existed. Currently, the FAA's response to this is simply tough!!!

So there you go.....However, should any of you wish to discuss these issues in further detail, then please feel free to call me on 01604 762982 and leave a message on my Answer Phone if I am not in with your name and return telephone number.

Kind regards & good luck chaps.

C.N.

PS Please forgive me for any spelling or grammatical errors!!!

inverted flatspin
19th Aug 2001, 22:52
Captain Numpty things have changed with the FAA. The SODA is no longer required. If you pass the signal light test you are now issued with a letter of evidence which states that you meet the standards set out in part 67 of the FAR's, (keep it to show the next AME) this is the same as if you had passed one of the other tests with one small difference. The FAA will keep a note on your records under pathology for defective colour vision. This may or may not be a problem when you apply to a major airline that does a check on all you records. strictly speaking they are not allowed to discriminate against you but who knows. As to having this removed from you records all you have to do is pass one of the other approved tests and the FAA will remove it for you. In fact the FAA prefer if you had passed the signal light test first, because they are very comfortable with the signal light test (100% Safety record) but some of the people that pass the other tests can actually fail the light gun test, In studies conducted by the FAA it rages from around 1-2% for the FALANT and the titmus to around 5-6% for the ishihara and devorine plates.

If you had some trouble getting a SODA removed contact AOPA(US) they are experts in dealing with the FAA on this and other medical issues.

150Driver
20th Aug 2001, 16:03
I've been looking for a while for a lantern test in the UK, but I haven't had any luck.
I started out by getting the list of UK FAA approved AMEs (http://www.cami.jccbi.gov) and phoning around to see if any had the equipment, but I didn't have any luck.

I also looked up UK AME's with Australian approval (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/avmed), one of whome was Dr Graham Duguid who used to do Farnsworth's at Moorfields Eye Hospital, but has moved to a private practise. He no longer has the equipment, and told me that he's been unable to find it anywhere else in the UK.
I also emailed the FAA to ask whether they knew of any in the UK, but they simply said to look at the list of AMEs on the web site.

My next idea is to see if I can arrange a test in the States next time I'm there (hopefully Sept).

Let us know if you have any success in tracking down a Farnsworth test.