PDA

View Full Version : Help needed re carrying meds on aircraft.

ils44
20th Apr 2010, 15:42
Hi everyone

I am taking my mum on holiday for the 1st time to Portugal in a few weeks time (well hopefully if the planes are flying normally by then.)

Since the last time she flew, she has been diagnosied with Bipolar Disorder, that in itself is not a problem as she is very well at the moment, due to her medication, the problem I have is will we be able to take the medication in hand luggage or will it have to go in the hold?.

I really can't afford for it to get lost as if mum doesn't have her medication she could become ill very quickly so I really don't want to have to put it in the hold.

It is in tablet form in a blister pack so not liquid so I am hoping that I will be able to carry it on the plane with us.

Does anyone know whether I will have a problem at security with taking the drugs on board?

Btw we are flying with Monarch.

thanks in advance

TSR2
20th Apr 2010, 15:55
You will have absolutely no problem carrying medication in your hand luggage if it is in tablet form.

Enjoy your holiday.

ils44
20th Apr 2010, 18:51
Thanks TSR2, you have put my mind at rest :ok::)

IJM
20th Apr 2010, 19:46
ils44 - just to put your mind at rest a bit more, if you have it I would also bring along the prescription from the doctor along with the medicines, in case the staff at security need some more confirmation.

I always do this with my medicines, and everything has been fine so far.

Have a nice trip and holiday!

welliewanger
21st Apr 2010, 03:27
Ah, an opportunity for me to recount a story told to me by a medical charity worker...

She had to take a large box of various highly controlled drugs (including things like morphine and other such exciting chemicals) to a land far far away where they tend not only to execute drug smugglers but prefer to chop bits off them first.

Upon arrival she wasn't sure whether to go through the "something to declare" channel. She hadn't got any official permits as there wasn't enough time before the flights. The drugs were an urgent delivery. Should she risk it by going through the "Nothing to declare" channel, hoping that nobody would ask? Or come clean and hope that they would see sense?

As it was a Christian charity she decided that honesty was the best policy. She struggled up to the desk with the larg (30kg ish) box of contraband, smiled at the customs officer and said "This box is full of drugs." The officer looked her up and down, laughed and said "You English are always joking! Go on!" :D

radeng
21st Apr 2010, 15:58
The biggest problem I've ever had is with insulin in Bangkok - and I was only in transit. Security in Brussels were very sympathetic when they opened my case and I went through all the drugs with them - all 10 different ones.

OFSO
21st Apr 2010, 18:09
My wife gave up declaring her hypo needles and steroids (for asthma) as nobody was interested. She's NEVER been asked about the kit since, despite it always being in her hand luggage, and - one presumes - being visible on-screen. Mind you, she was refused boarding when carrying a blunt-ended sculpting tool about 5" long, so lets hope terrorists are sculptors, not asthmatics.

1DC
21st Apr 2010, 20:10
When carrying medication you are advised to carry it in your hand luggage.
Mrs 1DC and i carry a lot of medication including insulation, needles etc.We have never had a problem, we carry our prescriptions and Mrs 1DC also carries a Doctors note advising she is diabetic, no one has ever asked to see it although she is advised to carry it. We don't even bother to say we are carrying insulin anymore because we were always told it isn't a problem.
Carry your prescription, don't worry and enjoy your holiday.