PDA

View Full Version : Bedbugs or fleas. Either way they itch!

LatviaCalling
14th Aug 2001, 00:45
This is not a windup, or anything, but while on a flight from RIX-LGW-FAO recently, I started itching. It got worse and worse.

In the hotel in Faro, Portugal, I looked at myself and found these red spots all over my legs and belly. It was like measles I had when I was a kid.

I had an idea of what it was and very embarrassed. I went to a physician in Faro who put on elbow-length rubber gloves to examine me. It didn't take him long to discover that I had some Latin name disease, which translates to "bedbugs or fleas."

He prescribed something called "Quellada Lotion" which I was supposed to put on my body with a cotton swab twice daily for three days. I'm still here, because the little buggers died.

After a long story, my question is whether this happens often on aircraft, or could I have gotten these mites sitting in the departure lounge at Gatwick?

Oh, by the way, I flew on a very obscure airline. I think they go by the name of "Speedflea." Then again I may be wrong.

[ 13 August 2001: Message edited by: LatviaCalling ]

NigelS
14th Aug 2001, 12:30
This sounds like an unfortunate case of scabies. Quellada lotion is fine for this, head lice, and such infestations. The scratching may open your skin and open you up to secondary (bacterial) infection but that can be dealt with easily enough with antibiotics. See your GP for advise if the redness and itchiness has not gone away.

Hope all is well in Latvia these days. I've not been but was raised in a Latvian household in the UK (displaced Latvian's post-war). My godfather had a very large farm there before the German's bundled him off in the back of a wagon...

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Best wishes and happy scabies! Sorry... I'm sure all will be fine soon.

Take care

Nige

GlueBall
17th Aug 2001, 07:07
Fleas from drug sniffing dogs visiting the cockpit had worked their way into the sheepskin seat covers, and later into the pilots' pants. It's part of the adventure.