PDA

View Full Version : Just done the Class 1 medical yesterday

rossco18_uk
25th Oct 2001, 13:27
Hey guys,
Just completed the CAA Class 1 Medical examination yesterday. I am glad it is over, as I was a little anxious to say the least. The day went very smoothly, and the duration was exactly 3 hours. I am pretty sure that I have passes it, although I still have to wait for the results to the EEG, ECG and the Urine test before I can get my certificate. One thing which puzzled me was during the EEG. They flashed a strobe in my eyes obviously to test if I had epilepsy. Straight after this, I went for the eye test. Would it not be logical to have the eye tst first and then flash a strobe in your eyes, for five minutes? Maybe it is just me. Anyway, the eye doctor did tell me that my eyesight was fine, although he thinks itcould deteriorate with age, but then I am happy that it is ok at the moment. The physical examination was nothing. It went so quick. I thought that they were literally going to feel you up for half an hour, but I think it lasted for only 5 minutes at the most. If I do fail it then I think it will be something I cannot help. I was also extremely pleased at not being forced to run around the building, as I came out with a cold on the morning of the medical, which is just typical. All in all the day went well, and it was nice to get it over. I am looking forward to telling my flying instructor now that I am about to hold a Class 1 medical.

Thanks for the information you all provided earlier this month. It proved to be very useful.

Cheers

Rossco

Broken Wings
25th Oct 2001, 16:00
I can only say that my dealings with the CAA medical division recently have been excellent. The RAF grounded me permanently in 2000 but the CAA revalidated my Class 1 (with OML) two months ago. I had a "slight anomally" on the ECG and had to do the treadmill, which I passed with flying colours. I had to wear spectacles in the RAF but I passed my Class 1 without them and was told "the choice is yours".

From my experience they will do their best to get you a pass and keep the limitations to a sensible minimum. This realsitic attitude is healthy for pilots yet still ultimately protects the passengers whose safety is placed in our hands.

Nice to know that the art of stating the bleeding obvious is still alive ("your eyesight could deteriorate with age") but hey I've got the Class 1 and hopefully so should you by the sign of it.

Best of luck with the best career in the world. :)

[ 25 October 2001: Message edited by: Broken Wings ]