PDA

View Full Version : Military After Dinner Speakers

doddysc
18th Apr 2010, 14:22
I am looking for current or ex-military individuals that are involved in after dinner speaking for a rememberence day event this year. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

vecvechookattack
18th Apr 2010, 16:30
I'll do it.

When and where?

Grabbers
18th Apr 2010, 17:42
How about Sir Clive Loader? His orations are a sight/sound to behold.

farefield
18th Apr 2010, 18:11
I can imagine, "me, me, me, I, I, I, me"

vecvechookattack
18th Apr 2010, 18:16
The best mess dinner speeches are generally from the old blokes who have a tale to tell. That chap Moffat gave us a brilliant dit about how he sunk the Bismark.

Sloppy Link
18th Apr 2010, 18:17
Anyone heard David Gunson, the former Airtrafficer? He was very good but I suspect he is getting on a bit now.

Sun Who
18th Apr 2010, 19:15
Still around it seems:
David Gunson - Former Air Traffic Controller (http://www.gordonpoole.com/?artistID=699)
and only £1-£3K...

Sun

PICKS135
19th Apr 2010, 17:36
This chap do ??

Group Captain Al Lockwood motivational, business and after dinner speaker with full speakers profiles, UK and Worldwide (http://www.speakers-uk.com/business/group-captain-al-lockwood/)

airborne_artist
19th Apr 2010, 17:53
Rick Jolly does this. Google will find him. Based in Cornwall.

minigundiplomat
19th Apr 2010, 17:58
Our 90th anniversary we had two ex 27 tonka mates that were shot down over Iraq in 1991. Names by PM if required - they were good value and have quite a story.

Failing that - try googling some of the names in your unit (or former unit) F540. It's very rare not to have some interesting characters tucked away.

Wander00
19th Apr 2010, 18:01
I think Rory Underwood still does so as well. In about 1991 or 92 a young but tall fg off who worked for me at Wxton came to the door one evening - my then 3 yr-old looked up at him and asked innocently "Are you Rory Underwood?" "No", said the young fg off, "but I wish I was!"

Tenne
19th Apr 2010, 19:02
I can remember when Sir Clive Loader stormed out of a Dining In at Wittering when he was the guest speaker after a departing Officer from the RAF commented that he would hope one day to read in the obiturary column of the Daily Telegraph that the said person had passed away following a freak masturbating injury!! Obviously doesn't help in your search for an after dinner speaker but just very funny....so choose carefully!

threeputt
20th Apr 2010, 10:04
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned Air Cdre Jim Grieg. Jim, amongst other jobs, was the QHP and formerly SMO at Waddington in the late 70's. A visit to his married quarter was always enlivened by a contemplative moment in the smallest room in the house which was adorned with one liners et al. He used them in his after dinner talks, which were/are hillarious. I know that he has retired in the Huntingdon area but am unaware of his address. Well worth a call if anyone can give you his details.

3P :ok:

whowhenwhy
20th Apr 2010, 10:13
Geoffrey "Boy" Wellum. BoB pilot, self-effacing and hugely intelligent and inspiring. Saw him at Uxbridge in about 2004.

sausageeater
20th Apr 2010, 17:04
Interesting anecdote Tenne. So when did that 'storming out' happen?

DeepestSouth
20th Apr 2010, 17:17
Definitely Air Cdre Grieg if you can track him down - I last saw him at Brampton and IIRC he's also related to the Norwegian composer.

Wander00
20th Apr 2010, 17:43
Jim Greig is definitely a good speaker, especially at a Burns Supper - his "Tam O'Shanter...". Actually I guess after 20 years I owe him an apology, not for what I said, but when I did it. I was asked to propose the Toast to the Lasses at Brampton OM Burns Night. This was a few weeks after we had moved into MQ from our house in Norfolk, not least because Mrs Wandero00 was pregnant. Also it was at the back corner of Sparrow Close that seemd to house a number of slightly "non-standard" families, like us with my 18 year-old from first marriage. However, she got a job at a local accountants (this was 1987!) so we turned up with a pregnant working wife with a company car - a red BMW. The odd feather around the place was slightly ruffled, and then a week before the dinner Mrs W had a letter from RAFH Ely (of blessed memory) through the GPO mail addressed not to "Mrs Wander00), wife of Sqn Ldr W", but just to "Wife of Sqn Ldr W." Now hackles were really raised - mine.

So with Jim Grieig, Command MO in the chair, the speech started with "For those of you who don't know me, I come from the part of MQ not know for attendance at flower arranging or Wives Club". I then went on to enquire rhetorically why we toasted the lasses, yet treated them like something unmentionable. I got a bit lighter hearted after getting that off my chest, and Jim, gentleman that he is, took it in good spirit. But I still feel a tadge guilty when I remember the night. However, I am not sure that the treatment of wives and families has got much better from what I read on PPrune. I have a feeling Jim ended his career as a 2* or 3*. Jim, if you read this "Sorry".

Old-Duffer
21st Apr 2010, 05:47
.............. 00, my wife went from a squadron leader with 20 years service, leaving at her 38/16 point (one of the few who lasted the course and didn't sue when the rules under which she had joined, changed in her favour en route) to being 'wife of'.

We were also in Sparrow Close for a year but as Mrs O-D never subscribed to the 'wife of' nonsense when she was in the mob nor in her dealings with other 'wives of', the system didn't trouble her.

She was beaten, however, when she claimed her air force pension and despite having been married for several years and having adopted the O-D monica, 1250, the lot, she was required to produce Birth and Marriage certificates (originals not copies - thank you). On the basis that there was a sizeable gratuity to be invested, compliance without demur was seen as the most pragmatic approach!!

Chin chin!!

threeputt
21st Apr 2010, 11:42
My parents also lived in Sparrow Close from 70-72, IIRC, when Dad was a staff officer at HQ SC.

3P:ok:

Wrathmonk
21st Apr 2010, 12:13
My advice - keep away from the "after dinner speakers circuit" and save your money!

Instead, if your audience is predominantly light blue (and/or young) I can strongly recommend you inviting one of the many current Army GC, GM, MC, CGC, DSO etc winners (and not necessarily the higher ranking ones either!) from either Iraq or Afghanistan. The reason I say choose Army is, having been in the audience of a couple of these presentations/speeches recently, it is truly humbling (and indeed frightening!) to hear first hand what modern land warfare is all about (and before I get flamed I know that plenty of light blue have been, and continue to be, in the thick of it but it's always good to hear 'the other point of view' if you are ever going to understand each others problems!)

If your audience is predominantly of the older generation then I would suggest you also invite (for free!) a good number of the young Toms as well and spread them amongst the dinner guests. You'd be surprised how much the older veterans are keen to hear about the modern battles as vice-versa.

Most local units will find people willing to do this for nothing more than a free meal (a few drinks after!) and overnight board.

And the younger the after dinner speaker the more chance (hopefully) he'll still be around come November!

AlbertoSantos
22nd Apr 2010, 09:47
:ok: Terry Loughran is always entertaining and a great speaker.

RosieDay
22nd Apr 2010, 10:38
Hello, my client is not ex-military himself but is CEO of the Veterans Charity, which organises challenge events, raising money to support Veterans of all ages and injured servicemen and their families. The challenges are supported by serving members of the military and the patron is Ben Parkinson. Please feel free to contact me for more details. 07540585558

cojones
29th Mar 2011, 15:18
This guy is good. He does cruise ship speaking, too, and they are a very demanding audience.

David Henderson After Dinner Speaker - Home (http://www.davidjhenderson.biz)

JEM60
29th Mar 2011, 15:27
Capt. Eric 'Winkle' Brown, who needs no further introduction from me. Fabulous speaker.!