PDA

View Full Version : Tyabb Airshow 2010

Kulwin Park
18th Apr 2010, 10:42
Not a bad airshow towards the end - had some good flying by Chris Sperou!! :ok:

VH-XXX
18th Apr 2010, 10:46
I didn't go as I didn't want to pay $25 for the privelage. Often when you fly into an airshow you get free entry, but not at Tyabb.

They probably lost a few attendees when their website ran out of bandwidth on Saturday.

gezza182
18th Apr 2010, 10:59
I went by car, endured all the traffic jams caused by the bumper crowds and paid my $25. I don't understand why "fly in" arrivals should be exempt, bearing in mind that all proceeds go to charitable causes.

Thought it was a good show. My only complaint would be the commentary. I prefer to hear the aero engines.......not commentators going on and on and on!!!!

Was also a bit surprised that the Yak 9 wasn't there. Is it based elsewhere now?

172M
18th Apr 2010, 23:04
I also can't see the logic in mindset. Happy to spend $200 ,$500 whatever, to fly in from where ever. Then do a scrooge on touching your pocket for $25 for a charity event. There were around 80 itinerants that flew in, average three per aircraft do the maths on the freebies, and be mind full the fly in aircraft aren't on display, they are in a secure park without public access.
The Yak 9 is still on the field the owner was in Perth with Red Bull.
Commentary, no contest .:O

VH-XXX
18th Apr 2010, 23:58
I'm not complaining about the entry fee in particular because it goes to charity, however it's usually the norm that fly-in aircraft don't pay for entry as in a way they help make the airshow happen by being there, often having their aircraft on display and adding to the air traffic for the day. Albury would be a good example of that - free entry for fly-in aircraft. I know of people that got there by aircraft, then left when they realised they have to pay to get in!

As for the Yak 9, I can only imagine that there is still a dispute between the owner and the Aero Club (I can elaborate by PM if required)

yakity-yak
19th Apr 2010, 02:24
VH-XXX - Before spreading speculation from the lack information you no doubt have, I suggest you refrain and get your facts straight. There is more to it than just money.

Also, If you're squabling over $25, you shouldn't be in aviation. The proceeds go to charity and you'll find most airports hit you with a landing fee. You're no different to any other paying patron walking through the front gates, unless you're part of the airshow.

VH-XXX
19th Apr 2010, 03:53
Also, If you're squabling over $25, you shouldn't be in aviation.

It's a free country, I don't have to go, so I chose not to, but rather contributed to charity in other ways.

Before spreading speculation from the lack information you no doubt have

Yep, I can see that you know that from what I said.

I suggest you refrain and get your facts straight.

Feel free to elaborate. We wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a good story.

I unlike many others know the facts in their entirety, so if you want to start a discussion, feel free but your one-post posting history makes it hard for anyone reading to believe anything you might say.

There is more to it than just money.

Yeah, it's called Politics.

There are only a few things in life that cause problems:

- Money
and
- Jealousy

Most "issues" fit into one of these primary categories.

Old Akro
19th Apr 2010, 04:19
As has been said, the entry fee is to raise money for charity. All aero club members not officiating paid for entry as did people who work on the airfield.

The attendance is the biggest in the Airshow's history, so a lot of people voted with their feet that the entry fee was reasonable. Traffic was a bit of an issue early on. I understand it was exacerbated by some local residents protesting early in the morning.

These type of events are important to demonstrate to the community that airfields do good things and demonstrate that we are not elitist, selfish rich guys with expensive toys. We all owe it to ourselves to support community events like this because it helps keep airports open.

Jabawocky
19th Apr 2010, 04:40
These type of events are important to demonstrate to the community that airfields do good things and demonstrate that we are not elitist, selfish rich guys with expensive toys. We all owe it to ourselves to support community events like this because it helps keep airports open.

Well said! Should be more of it!
:D:D:D:D:D

Old Akro
19th Apr 2010, 04:54
By the way, AFL at the MCG on Sunday: $40. Titanic exhibition at Museum: $24. Avatar 3D at Village theater: $28. Sunday pass for V8 Supercars at Winton next month $60 (pit access extra).

$25 for 4 hours of airshow acts too much????

VH-XXX
19th Apr 2010, 06:23
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as such, I just said I didn't want to pay $25 to go there.

I only just went to the Point Cook air pageant and most of the same aircraft (and more) were there. Perhaps I should have re-phrased my initial comment.

However there are others I know that were whinging about the price, in particular families that thought it was a bit steep for 2 adults and 2 kids. Just a passing comment really.

TheNightOwl
19th Apr 2010, 06:25
I really don't give a damn about the cost, my concessional $20 was worth every cent. The drive down from Cheltenham was quiet at 09:10, the walk from parking an enjoyable alternative to the shuttle bus and, as for the rest, sheer delight from start to finish.

It was a tad warm in the early p.m., but cooled slightly when light cloud appeared, and I actually got more enjoyment from the old aircraft demos than from my visits to Avalon.

It was on a par with the recent show at Point Cook; well organised, on-time appearances from the participants, marred slightly by the incessant verbal diarrhoea from the commentary people, but that is a purely personal view. I have no doubt that there were others there who benefitted from the commentators.

All-in-all, a beautiful, balmy day made just about perfect by the aircraft.

Well done, Peninsula Aero Club!!!!

I'll be back.

Kind regards,

TNO.:ok::ok:

Captain Dart
19th Apr 2010, 07:43
I agree about the tendency for incessant 'yap' from the commentators at Aussie airshows; why can't they just occasionally let the aircraft speak for themselves?

172M
19th Apr 2010, 11:13
XXX you are so ill (self) informed , Familly ticket 2 X adults 3 kids $60.00 .Pre purchase on line less10 %. Kids under 5 free with an adult(s) Tell me the secret to a freebie to the the next Avalon if you are not displaying...!:ugh:

Wallsofchina
20th Apr 2010, 01:16
Maybe Wicko didn't want to pay $25 for the privelage

triadic
20th Apr 2010, 03:08
If you are a 'fly-in' aircraft there is no charge at Avalon, if you park in the display area for the duration. Lots of parked aircraft help make any airshow.

Chimbu chuckles
20th Apr 2010, 03:24
The participating vintage aircraft owners would have spent more than $25 to 'attend' even though the aircraft are based at Tyabb.

Fly in, get the huff over being charged $25 entry fee (which goes to charity) for 4-6 hrs of great entertainment and fly out?

I think you just don't 'get it'!!

:ugh::ugh::ugh::hmm::rolleyes::mad:

UnderneathTheRadar
20th Apr 2010, 03:54
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as such, I just said I didn't want to pay $25 to go there.

......but you would pay $200 (or whatever) in order to save the $25??????????

As others have alluded - the itinerants don't put their aircraft on display (unlike Avalon), it costs money to pay for the busses to drive you to airshow side of the runway and the pilots cause the most hassle. The CASA guys wandering around got quite hot under the collar with some of the behaviour observed early in the morning from what I heard of what was going on.

UTR

Whiskery
20th Apr 2010, 09:31
By the way, AFL at the MCG on Sunday: $40...............

Hey Akro, buy the tickets Mate. You will see the Bombers get one of the biggest floggings in AFL history. My God, I would pay $400 to see that game!:ok:

........standing by for incoming Buster H's rebuttal!!!!!

Horatio Leafblower
20th Apr 2010, 12:19
Sorry CC, I get it, many others don't. Had a number of aircraft drop into another nearby field for coffee that had the "huff" about the price.

Interesting. I was one of the team at Warbirds Over Scone 98/01/03 and I had lunch today with one of the organisers of the Omaka airshow in NZ, a nice chap fromthe RNZAF.

We discussed many things about organising airshows. Number one embuggerance, we agreed was the 'entitled' attitude of two groups:

1/. Wannabe Photographers (as opposed to professionals); and
2/. Private pilots who think the world revolves around them because they flew a @#$%^ Cherokee into a Warbird airshow. :ugh: :hmm: :rolleyes:

This means YOU:=

You said:

Yeah, it's called Politics.
There are only a few things in life that cause problems:
- Money
and
- Jealousy

Most "issues" fit into one of these primary categories.

Das kanst du hinter den dir spiegel stecken :=

Buck Rogers
20th Apr 2010, 12:42
Thats right Heratio Blowing the leafs 1% of airshow people come by plane that believe they should not pay = 100% pain in the @ss.

Horatio Leafblower
20th Apr 2010, 13:26
Dead right Buck :ok:

I went to Oshkosh - it cost me $1500 to fly there - I wasn't given a discount.

"Where you guys from, anyway???" .. oh I forgot... you were there too.

Timetofly didn't get a discount for flying there, he had to pay TWICE! :}

triadic
20th Apr 2010, 15:18
I believe the issue here is really about a change in culture over the years and the now many requirements that are just part of running an airshow.

Certainly in years gone by, if you flew into an airshow you were considered to be supporting the show by just having your aeroplane there, whatever it is. Having the parking area full of visiting aircraft was seen as a measure of success or otherwise of the event and such visitors were not charged.

These days the requirements for an airshow are many and include paying for services that in the past came at no charge (to the organisers) such as ambulance, police, security etc.

It is therefore perhaps now understandable that the organisers might wish to maximise their return and not provide those that fly-in with free entry. Obviously the organisers must balance the benefit/s of having the visitor parking area full against the income from that sector (?)

This change in culture is now it seems part of life these days and with the dollar driving most of the activity, to let freebees in the door goes against the grain of those that count the bucks at the end of the day.

As to if this is counter productive or not is open to debate (we see that in this thread) and no doubt it is perhaps now the norm that people (sadly) think this way.

There are still many air shows that do not charge those that fly-in for the many traditional reasons and the organisers obviously budget that way, banking on the fact that the attendance of same is of benefit in other ways.

Given the poor state of the GA industry at the moment, it is a wonder there are any airshows at all as holding one is a big gamble and just getting the performers there is often a significant cost, where once they would come for the fun! (or maybe a tank full of fuel).

At the end of the day, one has to consider all the issues and then make a decision to attend or not.

I know some pilots that will fly an extra hour in a $200/hr aircraft to avoid a landing charge of less than $10. There is little logic in that, but I guess those that do that have a principle to stand by in respect of landing charges (something I perhaps sympathise with). Where they might stand on paying an entry to an airshow is anyone's guess, but it is just one of the many things that the organisers have to consider.

Culture - what you have that you don't realise until someone make you do something different!!

Horatio Leafblower
20th Apr 2010, 21:32
Das kanst du hinter den Dir spiegel stecken!

Literally: Stick that behind your mirror for yourself.

Roughly the German equivalent of "Stick that in your pipe and smoke it" but has a nice nuance of "Now look at what you just said while loking at yourself" :ok:

I apologise XXX, my comments were too sharply pointed at you :oh: but everyone wants to get in free. At Scone we decided to charge a $20/aircraft flat entry fee.

The crowd in 2001 didn't mind, the crowd in 2003 was different and they whinged, jumped up and down, trespassed into the display exclusion zone, list goes on.

When the (voluntary) organisers have to put up with that sort of crap it's no wonder we don't hold Sconeairshows any more:=

OZBUSDRIVER
20th Apr 2010, 21:47
All performances at TYA were for fuel alone. Likes of Chris Spiruo, they flew in from Murray Bridge, a couple of fly-in aircraft had come down from MIA. No points for guessing how far the TEM mob travelled. Even the organiser paid entry for her family. There were some grumbles from a local aircraft owner that I personally witnessed, I put that down to just sour grapes on his part.

Me only a bit part volunteer, didn't even have time to watch the show until the end. However, wasn't as busy on the ramp as last time...better organised:ok:

The good thing I always bring away from these events..GA ain't dead by a long chalk:ok:

VH-XXX
20th Apr 2010, 23:45
From all accounts I have heard nothing but very good feedback from those that attended.

The Spitty, Mustang and Boomerang (with supercharger roaring) were zooming along making a good job of converting Avgas into noise and apparently the mock bombing run with some 15 aircraft up at a time was most impressive.

Good job to those that attended.

I was working away on rebuilding my engine so I too can turn avgas into noise.

Wallsofchina
21st Apr 2010, 02:10
in which case the $25.00 would have been irrelevant then

Buck Rogers
21st Apr 2010, 02:31
triadic
These many airshows you talk about ,,,I cant find them ..Airshow organises maximising there returns ...how about just a straight out return would be nice.

OZBUSDRIVER
21st Apr 2010, 03:19
Hey XXX, don't forget the two P40s:ok:

172M
21st Apr 2010, 05:38
I think you should hold your repartee' for the ill informed and the ignorant on this site, your "bloody" minded statement about an event that you did not attend and then berated
Those that chose to support the local community event.... Not withstanding, well in excess of five figures will be distributed through the volunteer community and then a further dispursmet to the charities again within the local populace. Stay away from the politics of tish and pull your head in or, STEP UP!! and embrace , you TOS*A!
Censor if you will............. I am try to be civilised and, polite ... hard yards!!:mad:

172M
21st Apr 2010, 05:52
But do you want to live under canvas for 4-5 days .. You will not get a motel room south of Melbourne,:sad:

VH-XXX
21st Apr 2010, 06:11
Well said 172M. Why don't you register again and back yourself up with another username with 1 post to it's name.

"Bloody minded statement" ? Nice one.

I was at Tyabb airport on the day in a hangar at the southern end, head down, bum up, working away. Unlike those that chose to drive down and park next to the fence and then walk across and it and not bother to pay, I chose not to walk down to the crowd area.

Take a chill pill.

The Chaser
21st Apr 2010, 06:20
Well I thought the show was brilliant.

I have been to many airshows over the years, and for a smallish airfield, I have never seen such a nice display of Warbirds, both on the ramp, and more particulalry in the air at one time.

2x P40, 1xSpit, 1xP51, 1xRang 4xHarvard, a coupla Jangs playing the bad guys. Beautiful sounds from the Merlins, Allison, and the Radials.

The Vampire display was fantastic I thought. As was Chris in the Pitts.

Having been involved in Airshow organisation and operation many times in the past, I agree, it is no easy job. Most are unpaid volunteers who support industry not because they have too, but because they want to.

Jonesey, Java, The Aeroclub, Judy and the team, and the countless others ... great job. I'll be back next one. And I'll happily pay the air ticket [or fly meself] across the ditch, and the entry fee. :ok:

172M
21st Apr 2010, 10:54
What can I say, you were there ,you were sliding under the radar for $25.00 for charity......... Absolute scumbag! Were the hell do you get off , berating a charity airshow that you in some way or being were there, if there is such a thing as a Black (8)Ball on membership you deserve it between the eyes. It is self centred bucket mouths like you that want it all and don't want to pay for any thing, and or the last or never to put your hand up at a club event
Take it from me do not X my path
Censor if you will
PM IS FINE TELCON IS EVEN BETTER!!

VH-XXX
21st Apr 2010, 11:38
My god I don't know why I'm even bothering to reply :\

I didn't go to the damn airshow so get back in your hole!

I was at Tyabb airport on the day in a hangar at the southern end, head down, bum up, working away. Unlike those that chose to drive down and park next to the fence and then walk across and it and not bother to pay, I chose not to walk down to the crowd area.

Admittedly in hind-sight this may sound like I attended, but I didn't. Fair enough? I was in and out during the day and essentially didn't look up so take your whinging to the scum that didn't bother to pay.

Whiskery
26th Apr 2010, 09:23
Hey Akro, buy the tickets Mate. You will see the Bombers get one of the biggest floggings in AFL history. My God, I would pay $400 to see that game!

I saw you there Buster crying in your beer at halftime ! ;)

HOT PIES!!!!!!!!!:ok:

Freebags
2nd May 2010, 12:40
Was there a two-ship Caribou beat up? That would have surely been a welcome addtion to the show... yes?